Wexford Forum

Do away with the Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First)

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if having the qualifiers has helped or hindered Wexford Hurling and Football.
The argument in favor is that, if you lose it would allow you to have at least a good County Championship where all the potential players for the following year can be seen. Against, is that county players give up so much that they deserve a second chance but is that not what the league is all about? sorry my bias is showing....

Anyway other than the All Ireland Semi for the Footballers, it is debatable as to if the Qualifiers have ever helped Wexford Football or Hurling - views?

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1101 - 29/09/2016 16:57:20    1920609

Link

I'm not a huge fan of the qualifiers but to be fair they haven't been that bad to us.

Imagine the last few years hurling if we didn't have a run in the qualifiers? No wins over Waterford and Clare for example. Clare in the park was a huge occasion as was the game in nowlan park against Waterford. Over the years we have also had cracking games beating Waterford, limerick, cork this year to name a few.

In fairness I would have thought the qualifiers have been good to the footballers. Reached an all Ireland semi final through the qualifiers. Beat teams like Armagh, down, Monaghan over the years.

Personally I like my championship to be knock out as too many times teams don't go out all guns blazing knowing there is a fall back, it's no coincidence that the championships only start once they reach knockout but as long as the powers that be see the money being made from more game there is no Chavez of qualifiers being scrapped.

Your right that it does affect clubs and being able to have a proper run off club championship might make a huge differ eve but in reality the club player matters very little to the powers that be in the GAA?

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 853 - 29/09/2016 20:15:17    1920704

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "I'm not a huge fan of the qualifiers but to be fair they haven't been that bad to us.

Imagine the last few years hurling if we didn't have a run in the qualifiers? No wins over Waterford and Clare for example. Clare in the park was a huge occasion as was the game in nowlan park against Waterford. Over the years we have also had cracking games beating Waterford, limerick, cork this year to name a few.

In fairness I would have thought the qualifiers have been good to the footballers. Reached an all Ireland semi final through the qualifiers. Beat teams like Armagh, down, Monaghan over the years.

Personally I like my championship to be knock out as too many times teams don't go out all guns blazing knowing there is a fall back, it's no coincidence that the championships only start once they reach knockout but as long as the powers that be see the money being made from more game there is no Chavez of qualifiers being scrapped.

Your right that it does affect clubs and being able to have a proper run off club championship might make a huge differ eve but in reality the club player matters very little to the powers that be in the GAA?"
Everything is way too drawn out for example in the Leinster Championship. Why can't all the football quarter finals be played on the one weekend not spread out over two or three? Why cant Wexford play hurling and football on the same weekend in championships? We don't have dual players so thats not an excuse. Why are the ALL Ireland semi-finals spread over two weekends in hurling? Two on one day in Croke Park like back in 1996 etc when the place was rammed with supporters from four counties. Why are the All Ireland finals in September, push them into August?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 30/09/2016 10:19:52    1920808

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Everything is way too drawn out for example in the Leinster Championship. Why can't all the football quarter finals be played on the one weekend not spread out over two or three? Why cant Wexford play hurling and football on the same weekend in championships? We don't have dual players so thats not an excuse. Why are the ALL Ireland semi-finals spread over two weekends in hurling? Two on one day in Croke Park like back in 1996 etc when the place was rammed with supporters from four counties. Why are the All Ireland finals in September, push them into August?"
Make no mistake about it the qualifier system and the six sub idea were introduced to suit the bigger counties. Just look at when it was introduced. In the mid nineties Limerick, Clare, Offaly Galway and Wexford in hurling and counties like Derry, Donegal, Meath. Tyrone and Down among others were very strong in football. The marquee counties like Cork, Kilkenny, Tipp and Dublin and Kerry were doing just OK in football. Well this could not continue so the big counties, with the aid of a few useful fools from recently successful 'smaller counties' got their ideas 'for the games' going. Suffice to say in eighteen years since 98 the big three have won all but one Senior All Ireland in hurling. Mission accomplished.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2908 - 01/10/2016 19:01:44    1921143

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Make no mistake about it the qualifier system and the six sub idea were introduced to suit the bigger counties. Just look at when it was introduced. In the mid nineties Limerick, Clare, Offaly Galway and Wexford in hurling and counties like Derry, Donegal, Meath. Tyrone and Down among others were very strong in football. The marquee counties like Cork, Kilkenny, Tipp and Dublin and Kerry were doing just OK in football. Well this could not continue so the big counties, with the aid of a few useful fools from recently successful 'smaller counties' got their ideas 'for the games' going. Suffice to say in eighteen years since 98 the big three have won all but one Senior All Ireland in hurling. Mission accomplished."
Agree, it suits the big counties down to the ground, they may get surprised by a middling team once but rarely twice. Also as long as the middle and lower tier counties think the qualifiers are achieving something for them we won't have any moves to completely revamp the championships.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1101 - 04/10/2016 16:21:17    1922467

Link