National Forum

Roscommon GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SpanishRossie:  "I myself would hope that the Roscommon management would take heed of what James Horan did. Walking away after a four year term for the betterment of the county, even though they won national leagues and took Dublin off their perch and reached two more All-Ireland finals under him. A classy act by the man to move on I thought. And this business of no other manager will take us on is bull. Roscommon have class all over the field and could put it up to anyone when at their best but that best is what's missing now and can only be brought out by a high energy, focused, experienced football manager ideally with AI success behind them and who is dedicated to seeing Roscommon grow as a team . People saying Roscommon have reached their ceiling is not true. All teams at that level can either push on and upward like Derry / Galway / Armagh. Or they can give up the ghost and drop down through the divisions again. It's essential we get a change of energy into that team this year. One championship win over a D4 team in years and we're still happy to keep on the hurling man and a backroon team that is very inexperienced at intercounty level?"
The pool of managers with AI success is very small. One of them is currently managing Kerry, another one Dublin and another two at Tyrone. The shortlist for recruiting then goes to Fitzmaurice, Gavin and McGuinness. I can't see any of them going near Roscommon. The only one I can think of going further back still involved is Harte. But it would be good to get an ex player who's had AI success involved in the backroom team. Similar to Donaghy at Armagh. Is there anyone in previous Dublin panels that has Ros connections who'd be interested in coaching?

Think it's unfair to say Cunningham is just a hurling man when he has been involved in football nearly as much.

MachaireConnacht (Roscommon) - Posts: 140 - 28/06/2022 20:42:17    2428480

Link

Have too many of our players too much mileage on the clock?
They're not that old in years but have minds and bodies said "enough"?

Seanfanbocht (Roscommon) - Posts: 304 - 29/06/2022 11:06:04    2428560

Link

Replying To MachaireConnacht:  "The pool of managers with AI success is very small. One of them is currently managing Kerry, another one Dublin and another two at Tyrone. The shortlist for recruiting then goes to Fitzmaurice, Gavin and McGuinness. I can't see any of them going near Roscommon. The only one I can think of going further back still involved is Harte. But it would be good to get an ex player who's had AI success involved in the backroom team. Similar to Donaghy at Armagh. Is there anyone in previous Dublin panels that has Ros connections who'd be interested in coaching?

Think it's unfair to say Cunningham is just a hurling man when he has been involved in football nearly as much."
Fair enough, AC's not just a hurling man so that was a bit harsh. But if he stays, Roscommon will not survive in Division 1 next year, and will get nowhere near a connacht title.

Also, just seen that Banty's leaving Monaghan - this frees up Donie Buckley. If anyone has Buckley's mobile number kindly pass it onto the County Board as soon as possible! Apparently Buckley's the source of Mayo's ferocious ability to tackle and turn teams over in their own half, a trait they still have and that has saved them in countless games. If it's one thing we need in our game it is this.

SpanishRossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 5 - 29/06/2022 14:47:48    2428654

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Good post. Absolutely agree. But Anthony Cunningham will go nowhere unless the County Board say Au Revoir and I doubt the County Board has the imagination to go looking for a new Manager. Horan did a great job in his 2 spells with Mayo. Yes the ultimate prize of the All Ireland evaded him as indeed it has evaded every Mayo Manager since 1951 but Horan turned Mayo into a very professional team winning the League and six Connacht titles. Over the past 15 years, Mayo haven't been much better than Roscommon at underage so he really didn't have much more material to play with than us but he made it pay. When Mayo look back, last year was a real missed opportunity because that Tyrone team was very beatable in the Final."
Term 1 Horan took over Mayo off the back of a 4 in a row Connacht U21 winning team. 2006 to 2009 the former team won the AI and he'd build his senior team around those four teams Boyle, Higgins, O'Sheas, Barrett, Keegan to name but a few.

Term two there 2016 U21 All winners and 2018 U20 runners up too filter into already strong base. The likes of Ruane, Coen, Plunkett, O'Donoghue, Mullin, Flynn etc

The way Tyrone played on the day they weren't that beatable at all. Full of intensity aggression determination to get over the line once taking out Kerry they weren't going to be denied and Mayo clearly were as strong as their 2013 to 2017 teams to win anyway.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2847 - 29/06/2022 15:31:53    2428670

Link