National Forum

Donegal GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Commodore:  "A few years back top Intercounty players were getting offered $10k - $18k to travel stateside.
I heard recently that one Ulster player got offered ~$32k to skip Ulster Championship and go play in the States.

While its nice chance to make money on a one off if your County is out of Championship, its not good if County players a purposely missing playing for the County because they know there is a financial windfall awaiting them over in the US."
True. But say if you're a student and have accomodation and living expenses to consider for the college year ahead, said windfall could be a massive factor in any decision. I've heard some Galway students are living as far out as Tuam these days due to rental pressures. Can only imagine what Dublin must be like.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7874 - 29/06/2022 14:30:38    2428644

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Good team but when 2023 happens this won't happen . One or two of them won't be here, plus injuries ,gallen on every best team but very seldom plays.. thats when a strong panel comes in. This will always be our downfall. You need these days about 25 players who are as good as each other. Do we have that I don't think so.."
Mr my glass is half empty with his insightful input.
There are players all around the county, that with the right Management will step up. Its what management is there for, to improve players and build a team.
I see even banty has stepped away from monaghan.
Has our County Board any ambition or are they happy with the last few years.
I honestly fear for Donegal the next few years, its back to pre 2011, where there were great players but lacked direction.
I hope i am wrong as it breaks my heart to go back to them days. I only can imagine how the poor players are feeling.

The keeper (Donegal) - Posts: 518 - 29/06/2022 14:53:40    2428657

Link

McGeehin is an interesting one. He has very clever movement and is very elusive. If he has another good club Championship he could be in the reckoning. Bradley-Walsh is another player worth keeping an eye on.

Interesting to see that Gallen posted 2-9 out in Philadelphia. Obviously a comepletely different standard of football and intensity. Just makes me wonder though how close was he for the Ulster final? If there was ever a man to land a winner in normal time it was the likes of him. He knows where the posts are and isn't afraid to go for them.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7874 - 29/06/2022 15:23:56    2428663

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "McGeehin is an interesting one. He has very clever movement and is very elusive. If he has another good club Championship he could be in the reckoning. Bradley-Walsh is another player worth keeping an eye on.

Interesting to see that Gallen posted 2-9 out in Philadelphia. Obviously a comepletely different standard of football and intensity. Just makes me wonder though how close was he for the Ulster final? If there was ever a man to land a winner in normal time it was the likes of him. He knows where the posts are and isn't afraid to go for them."
Yeah I'm confused as to why Gallen wasn't fit to play any Championship for Donegal, not even a sub appearance, yet is fit to travel to US 2 weeks after we are knocked out and score that, very strange.

Yeah Eoin McGeehin is very elusive, makes him ideal inside against packed defenses, he stands out as the type of presence that could do serious damage inside with his pace and scoring. I think with Murphy and McBrearty we are very predictable in recent years, that opposition teams can really count on us to do the same stuff over and over again.

I think management should start rotating the likes of Murphy, McBrearty and McHugh, so opposition never know if they are starting or will be an impact sub late in the match, make us more unpredictable.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 833 - 29/06/2022 17:08:08    2428690

Link