(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post
|
One thing I've noticed this year - in both county and club games here, is the amount of pads being subbed only to be brought back on again. Happened more so yesterday with extra time but I have seen it in other club games as well as the game against Dublin in Croke Park. peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 1746 - 05/10/2026 17:29:57 2696320 Link 0 |
|
We would be happy with a county title, I expect Eunans to be a series test. To win ulster you need your full squad, and unfortunately with two big injuries to our squad this past few weeks, a county title is all we can hope for. I believed if we had stayed injury free, we had a small chance of ulster, provided we won the County title. As we all know, in Donegal there is always a tough battle and nothing was ever guaranteed. But to be in 10 out of 11 finals is some going, so whatever will be will be. There is still plenty of young footballers in our team, and to think, most pundits were writing us off about 5 years ago as too old and finished. The keeper (Donegal) - Posts: 748 - 05/10/2026 17:43:04 2696323 Link 0 |
|
Gaoth Dobhair always have problems keeping their best players at home and focused, maybe due to lack of jobs at home or maybe some just lose interest in the commitment needed, but definitely a massive problem for them.
Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 1974 - 06/10/2026 10:05:26 2696358 Link 0 |
|
I don't think it's a commitment issue. It's more of an employment thing, I suppose a lot of clubs are in a similar situation in fairness. But I often wondered if more of the 2018 Ulster winning team had stayed around, might they have challenged for and won more county titles? Obviously the likes of Cassidy and the McGees couldn't go on forever.. but a core of Daire O'Baoill, Gillespie, McFadden-Ferry, Mulligan, Carroll, Niall Friel, Gary McFadden etc who are now entering prime years, complimented by the youth coming through, likes of Padraig McGB, Cathal Rua, Cathal McGee, Colm Doherty etc would be a formidable outfit. Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 10494 - 06/10/2026 10:54:21 2696373 Link 0 |
|
I suppouse when you name them it would be like Glenties missing Odhran, Ultan, Kevin McG, Brendy, Charles and Eunans Conor Sr/Jr, Dowling, Tobin and Shane. Its a big dent in any squad.
Whyme923 (Donegal) - Posts: 155 - 06/10/2026 14:32:52 2696413 Link 0 |
|
Its definitely a problem down there, good young footballers tend to lose there way or leave the country. I couldn't blame anyone leaving for a better life, if I had to do it all again, I would myself. But I believe there is an issue with gweedore in the commitment area or everyone does not always seem to pull together. In order to be consistent and successful the entire club need to be going in the one direction. I am not attacking gweedore, as they have more titles than most, but there are always rumours of infighting and so on. Naomh conail have been lucky as regards losing players to immigration, and we don't have much work around. The keeper (Donegal) - Posts: 748 - 06/10/2026 16:25:58 2696426 Link 0 |