National Forum

Wicklow GAA thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Interesting move by Galway to appoint Davey. One thing is certain, if the players support him he will go very close to bringing McCarthy back across the Shannon. While he seems to unsettle the back room boys, he is undoubtedly a players manager. I haven't heard anything on Colin Kelly or his management team yet but I hope they are at all the remaining senior, intermediate and even Jun A matches to watch teams which are their clubs only championship sides, if there are any of those left. The minor championship seems to have been a success this year, or at least all teams got plenty of games. The number of "made up" sides possibly could be a cause for concern, particularly for the future of the clubs involved. OK, you are "bringing on" 3, 4 or 5 young players but what about the other 15 or so that you will need to field an adult team. It's great that these "better" youngsters are getting the experience of playing competitively, but will there be a price to be paid down the line ?

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 399 - 20/10/2021 08:42:43    2386362

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Interesting move by Galway to appoint Davey. One thing is certain, if the players support him he will go very close to bringing McCarthy back across the Shannon. While he seems to unsettle the back room boys, he is undoubtedly a players manager. I haven't heard anything on Colin Kelly or his management team yet but I hope they are at all the remaining senior, intermediate and even Jun A matches to watch teams which are their clubs only championship sides, if there are any of those left. The minor championship seems to have been a success this year, or at least all teams got plenty of games. The number of "made up" sides possibly could be a cause for concern, particularly for the future of the clubs involved. OK, you are "bringing on" 3, 4 or 5 young players but what about the other 15 or so that you will need to field an adult team. It's great that these "better" youngsters are getting the experience of playing competitively, but will there be a price to be paid down the line ?"
I'm not sure I understand your point in relation to the number of made up sides - at underage, some teams amalgamate, for example, Dunlavin and Donard which seems to have helped both these sides as both Dunlavin and Donard are in the last eight of the senior championship. On a personal level, I am glad to hear that young players are getting more games as this is what is required to keep them interested and to help them develop. More games are better than too few games in my opinion especially if you factor in that most of these lads are probably playing soccer and may even be playing rugby in addition to gaelic football. Will be interesting to see Colin Kelly's backroom team as you say. I would imagine that they will be anxious to see players in action this weekend and beyond.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1414 - 20/10/2021 11:34:29    2386396

Link