Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First)

2019 Hurling Championship now a thing of the past.

Can we improve enough to get to an All Ireland Final?
Should we target winning a National League?
Can we win back to back Leinster titles?
Are we guaranteed to be in the top three in Leinster?

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 19/08/2019 09:23:27    2227356

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "2019 Hurling Championship now a thing of the past.

Can we improve enough to get to an All Ireland Final?
Should we target winning a National League?
Can we win back to back Leinster titles?
Are we guaranteed to be in the top three in Leinster?"
Id say any 1 of 9 counties could reach the AIF next year it will depend on how exactly next year goes for the squads. I wouldnt be too shocked if we had Liam back down here for a year at all. We could well win Leinster again next year but so could 3 other counties. So we are not guaranteed to finish in the top 3. Therefore I think we should target the championship same as this year. Because if we don't we could very easily finish 4th in Leinster.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1914 - 19/08/2019 11:56:33    2227426

Link

If we get two ( or hopefully more) all- stars as well as five or six nominations added to the Bob O Keefe cup plus a great championship I will be more than happy with the best year since 1996.

Wish we had a few young lads bursting into the team the same as Tipp have ( Morris, Connors etc) as there seems to be a slight lack of emerging talent.

We have a very very young team though when you look at other counties marquee players ( canning, Callanan, Reid) they seem to be around the 30 years old mark while our best players are still in their early or mid twenties. This is encouraging.

We had an enormous chance to get to a final this year and it's a long road back however 3 years ago that kind of expectation wasn't even in our vocabulary. We have a great chance of getting to another Leinster final next year and giving anyone a good rattle.

Glad that the lads will get a trip to New York plus some will get to go on the All Star trip too - great to see their hard work reaping rewards. I really hope 2019 is the START of something and not just the peak of the Davy era and I really hope he will stay for another few years

I hope the club championship will unearth a few more county lads for next season and that the roaring 20s will be Wexford's decade

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 19/08/2019 12:16:07    2227441

Link

Can we improve enough to get to an All Ireland Final? YES
Should we target winning a National League? NO - target having 25 + panel to pick from
Can we win back to back Leinster titles? YES
Are we guaranteed to be in the top three in Leinster? NO

StoreysTash (Wexford) - Posts: 1093 - 19/08/2019 14:09:14    2227504

Link

Be good to see Ian Carty from Taghmon get a chance next year, outstanding at u21 level last year, in fact he made the U21 team of the year, no mean feat... but for some reason didn't get an opportunity this year at all. Are we that blessed with talent that we can afford to ignore talented lads like him? That's one of Davy's weaknesses in my opinion, he sticks with the same panel pretty much with little or no experimentation during the Walsh cup and league. I heard he picked up an injury recently and might be out for the year...anyone any idea what happened?

Purpleandgold72 (Wexford) - Posts: 71 - 19/08/2019 19:28:58    2227651

Link

Replying To Purpleandgold72:  "Be good to see Ian Carty from Taghmon get a chance next year, outstanding at u21 level last year, in fact he made the U21 team of the year, no mean feat... but for some reason didn't get an opportunity this year at all. Are we that blessed with talent that we can afford to ignore talented lads like him? That's one of Davy's weaknesses in my opinion, he sticks with the same panel pretty much with little or no experimentation during the Walsh cup and league. I heard he picked up an injury recently and might be out for the year...anyone any idea what happened?"
Ian Carthy a great prospect. Hopefully he'll have a better year at the hurling next year.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1914 - 19/08/2019 20:22:49    2227667

Link

Aodhán Doyle for gorey I think could be in for a shout his running suits our game plan down to the ground

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 19/08/2019 22:08:47    2227697

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "Aodhán Doyle for gorey I think could be in for a shout his running suits our game plan down to the ground"
Yes that's very true. He reminds me of dee okeefe with his style of play. Hopefully jack Cullen be involved too. He'd be a huge addition. He could play wing/corner back or even full back and free Liam Ryan up for no6 where I think he'd be very effective. The other doyle lads aren't bad either, particularly Padraig. Shane mcguckin even for the bench.

Purpleandgold72 (Wexford) - Posts: 71 - 19/08/2019 22:41:29    2227717

Link