Kerry Forum

NFL 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

That's a good team horse, he seems very happy with our back 7 as am I, so the half forward line seem to be the only sector that he seems unsure about.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13479 - 04/04/2014 18:18:58    1570483

Link

Ya I agree with you I'm also very happy with 1-9 it picks itself on form and few can argue with it, secondly the bench for backs will be quiet impressive come championship, Lyne, McGuire, Young, Mahoney and Sherwood, Midfield too looks well settled I;m so happy for Moran his dark rehab days must seem so worth it now, Like you I'm also unsure of the half forward line, Donnachadh will start, Casey has been impressive and was very good against Kildare and when introduced against Westmeath he appears to be building in confidence, Sheehan I think from frees alone can add options as a third midfielder depending on team formation, Inside O'Donoghue is a guaranteed starter and also Geaney who has been impressive, the speed of O'Brien is a bonus but unless he adds the scoring power he will not be an option, he needs to steady up and improve his shot selection, still in all though it has been a productive league, I agree with you regarding the Derry and Mayo game and the teams selected, I;m afraid though the below par display against Derry will ultimately cost us a semi final place.

Trilled about Kelly as it appears he is the number one now, but again I'm frustrated regarding the selection of a team captain, a player in my opinion that is not guaranteed a starting place, Fionn Fitz should be the choice here.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 04/04/2014 20:55:50    1570527

Link

Agree with the first 9 myself still think McGuire and Sherwood needs more game time also need to see more of Casey and Lyne even though he was injured I think he could be an important part of this team in the future. I don't agree geaney is guaranteed to start come championship time have to see more of him also impressing against Westmeath and Kildare will not convince me. There is going to be big competition now for places which is good.

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 688 - 04/04/2014 21:50:36    1570568

Link

Ya horse delighted bout Kelly my self, I think he was in goals for the Derry game as well so is that 4 clean sheets he's got and it's a pity we didn't get something out of that game a point would have been enough to keep derry honest, I think you could be right regarding a 3 rd midfielde roll for Sheehan he is too important to leave on the bench, I suppose fitz could leave geaney and o'donahue in a 2 man full forward line but that would mean O'Brien would have to go to the half forward line which I'm sure he'd be good at, and chicago09 I also would like to see more of lyne in the half back position he'd be a good option to come in for a tired Marc o'se and tomorrow will be a good test for geaney which I'm sure he'l ace :-) hon the kingdom.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13479 - 05/04/2014 10:39:32    1570600

Link

ya really looking forward to it also, Darran will see more game time but It's just a pity that Declan won't be joining the panel until next week, does anyone know how he played in the Inter Firm all ireland win?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 05/04/2014 13:45:28    1570647

Link

No great surprise that Lyne and Sheahan were dropped. 1-9 will start the Championship and possibly the full-forward line.

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 05/04/2014 19:50:09    1570787

Link

I Don't know C:K:H: I can see Declan inside?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 05/04/2014 20:03:42    1570794

Link

Maybe when we hit Croker Horse but I don't think he'll start v Clare/Wateford or Cork.

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 05/04/2014 20:51:42    1570815

Link

Ya maybe but like we all say the issue at present is the half forward line and the 40 yard man being honest is the vital key, that is why I feel that a Semi final place is so important for us so as to judge our progression since the start of the league if we play any team that has beaten us already, Dublin, Mayo or Derry. Otherwise it will be a long wait until we play Cork no disrespect to clare or Waterford. Hurley too will be a savage test for Griffin, tis is exactly what we need, well off to the pub now, chat to ye after the game.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 05/04/2014 21:40:47    1570839

Link

Lads can any of ye see Declan playing at centre forward this year?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13479 - 06/04/2014 11:13:32    1570894

Link

What a disaster today, hoping it was just a lack of motivation in a game that meant nothing but u would expect better when playing cork! Luckily we have plenty time on our hands to turn things around!

as_ky (Kerry) - Posts: 535 - 06/04/2014 17:24:35    1571086

Link

Total disaster today. Boy, Kerry have miles of work to do for the championship

Kerrygold36 (USA) - Posts: 19 - 06/04/2014 18:45:31    1571165

Link

Just a big wake up call for our young lads it's only the league still only April work to do yet. Anybody who thinks that Declan Darren and killian won't be starting for championship is crazy. Need all experience .Like I said earlier we need to be more defense minded we can't leave our backs open like that as the dublin's and mayos and corks of this world will eat us alive.

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 688 - 07/04/2014 14:38:39    1571748

Link

Sunday was bad, fairly bad in all fairness, certain aspects of our game were lacking, always in the league teams start slow, missing players and gradually build up momentum, we were on the back of 3 good results but was this a false dawn, the teams we beat were relatively poor, Tyrone, Kildare and Westmeath. Last Sunday was a bit frightening I went behind the Kerry goals in the 2nd half and watched the kickouts and the team formation as seen from the end line. The positioning of our half back and half forward lines for the kickouts were inadequate, basic positioning by our backs where they were wrong side of the man is unacceptable. A lot of people are laying finger at Griffin, I;m sorry but he was afforded absolutely no protection at one stage there was 30-35 yards of space in front of Hurley with no Kerry player holding the middle area. Was it a case of we knew Derry hand a 2nd string team out so we couldn't qualify so why show your hand, but we were wiped out at most areas of the field, especially at midfield and this was a Cork missing Aidan Walsh, time is on the side our side thanks god.

But the positives this League has unearthed a new Keeper, his very first touch Sunday was a high ball into the square fielded comfortable and distributed properly, Murphy has been consistent, the form of Moran at midfield, new forwards like Casey, Geaney and O'Brien have put their hands up staked a claim. The reality is though we need Young, Declan and Darran firing on all cylinders, I had a make up of my first 15 in my head for championship I;m still struggling to fix a settled 11 in my head, I'm leaning back towards Declan for this position, I know some like C:K:H: would prefer to see him come off the bench, but realistically we need to start strong, Darran is an option off the bench and I also think so is Casey, O'Leary won't be starting so I can see Fionn starting as our C'Ship captain. the long wait starts now, hopefully the training camp will go well and the break affords us time to settle and hit the Championship in the correct form.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 08/04/2014 20:46:16    1572637

Link

What happens now guys? We are short a midfielder to play with Moran we're short a centre forward and horse is right mark griffen is being harshly treated by some Kerry fans, maher is gone off the boil big time and maybe it's time fitz put him in to centre back, Marc o'se seems to have lost his drive unfortunately he is been shown up for pace in a lot of games so far in the league, it's gona be hard to see us winning an all Ireland for a few years .

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13479 - 09/04/2014 12:44:45    1572847

Link

ya I see your points kingdomboy: Maher is a class player he just needs to find his mojo, look he is a class midfielder, he'll find the form, Options are Sheehan, Buckley or dare I say it Donaghy but jez that a tall order, I'd stick with Maher he'll rediscover the form: I don't know we were pretty opened up so easily Sunday it was frightening, I was disappointed with Fionn fitz's positioning at times but ya Marc was way way off the boil on Sunday, I think he could be in trouble for the wing or corner but maybe at 6, I'll never buy into Maher at 6 as he cannot turn sharp enough, I too am worried about the 40 yard man, do we simply start Declan or Darran there and weaken our bench we need to hold some ace in reserve, prob now is the gap is so long until the next outing. We solved some issues in the league like Murphy, Kelly, Greaney but some area are still in need of plugging and unfortunately they now cannot be truly tested against quality opposition until Championship.. will that be too late? unfortunately Cork have given us serious food for thought

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5466 - 09/04/2014 21:12:50    1573171

Link

Look its been a lot better league campaign that last year. Players like Griffen, Cox, O'Brien, Fitzgerald, P Geaney, Moran and Casey have all made huge claims for starting places on the team and have given us a lot of options in different positions. We didnt have this at all last year. We had to rely on the old guard to come back to keep us in Div 1. If you look at the bench we had for some of the league games we had some big names to bring in.
The Cork games was a set back but in fairness the chances of making the semis were diminished after Derry named their team to play Mayo. Even if Cork were to win Munster this year I think we are well equipped to go through the qualifiers. Before I would have said that we dont have the legs anymore for those extra games but our panel has changed now. Would be great to make the quarters and have a day out in Croker. I don't think we can expect to go all the way. Not this year anyway!!

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 589 - 10/04/2014 10:46:02    1573269

Link

Aidan64
Good post, I suppose we are all a bit deflated after the defeat against cork but like you say we have unearthed some good talent during the league but I think your right we won't be winning Sam this year unfortunately but hopefully our minors can do something, and horse I would go with Declan on the 40 we have to IMO and I know you have reservations about maher at 6 but I'd love to see him play one game there, I got a feeling it could work and put Sheehan in the middle with Moran, there is no doubt that maher is a great footballer but it's just not happening for him.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13479 - 10/04/2014 15:48:30    1573454

Link