Roscommon Forum

Connacht Minor Championship.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Timmy86:  "Manning cup ,ted webs have been won before ,even a connacht league now and again ,but sligo underage club football isnt in this great place either ...roscommon, mayo and galway miles ahead ,,.....in my opinion"
True but I think Sligo have improved in recent years. For a spell there it was Ros Mayo and Galway hammering the other two teams. Sligo are progressing. Hope we do the business but has the feels of 2010 to me. We have done the hard work so hope we don't take the eye off the ball like Sligo seniors in 2010. Won't get anything easy and will need to perform like we have to date. Best of luck to both players and management tomorrow. Be good for the county after seniors below par performances to end up minor and u20 titles. Wouldn't begrudge Sligo the win either so best of luck to you too Timmy.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 745 - 05/08/2021 22:07:02    2368133

Link

Serious Sligo team who we need to be a 100% focused on.
It stinks of 2010 senior when Sligo did the hard work beating Galway and mayo and a 1 off huge performance by defence and donie Shine caught them out been overconfident.
We can't do this tomorrow Sligo are a excellent team.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1540 - 05/08/2021 23:38:04    2368160

Link

Not to be and as most of us feared 2010 repeated. We never got to the pitch of the game at all looked very much like a team that used up all of its energy last Saturday night. Losing Colm Neary and O'Reilly to injury certainly didn't help our chances either.

Congrats to Sligo, fully deserved their win, a fine skilful and pacing team a long overdue minior success for them and the just rewards for the hard work they have put in at underage level.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2477 - 06/08/2021 20:39:47    2368320

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Serious Sligo team who we need to be a 100% focused on.
It stinks of 2010 senior when Sligo did the hard work beating Galway and mayo and a 1 off huge performance by defence and donie Shine caught them out been overconfident.
We can't do this tomorrow Sligo are a excellent team."
You were right. Weak performance from Roscommon. Sligo by far the better team with a better game plan who were up for the game. Our lads believed the hype about themselves and seemed to think they just had to turn up to win. Weather conditions were shocking for both teams but sligo were far more intelligent on the ball and we kicked long hopefull ball away all evening. It's disappointing for everyone involved but sligo were so much better. Hopefully they beat Meath and do something special.

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 654 - 06/08/2021 21:12:35    2368325

Link

Replying To Timmy86:  "Manning cup ,ted webs have been won before ,even a connacht league now and again ,but sligo underage club football isnt in this great place either ...roscommon, mayo and galway miles ahead ,,.....in my opinion"
So much for the miles ahead. As I said before the game Sligo have done great work at underage and can especially thank the former senior players for helping out at grass root levels.

Sligo fully deserved their margin of victory and beat a good Roscommon team that took out both Galway and Mayo. All the best to Sligo v Meath next.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 420 - 06/08/2021 21:22:40    2368326

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Serious Sligo team who we need to be a 100% focused on.
We can't do this tomorrow Sligo are a excellent team."
Well called. A step too far for Roscommon tonight. We were always likely to be flat after the elation of the comeback against Galway just six days ago. Congratulations to Sligo who played well throughout. A first Connacht minor title for the Yeatsmen since 1968. Best of luck to them in the All Ireland semi final against Meath.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 06/08/2021 21:26:18    2368328

Link

A great campaign but tonight was a step too far. Sligo were the better team on the night and perhaps the conditions plus two tough games played its part from our lads perspective. Congrats to Sligo, they were well deserving champions. They dominated in the full back line, their 3 was very good, closely followed by the no 2, their two wing backs are excellent players and they played a huge role in their victory, they caused a lot of damage going forward and I was surprised that we did not make some changes to address this. They had a nice blend in midfield and their full forward line were always more dangerous than ours, if their decision making was better in the second half they would have scored a couple of goals. A very good campaign and lots to be proud of despite tonight.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 283 - 06/08/2021 22:52:03    2368374

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Well called. A step too far for Roscommon tonight. We were always likely to be flat after the elation of the comeback against Galway just six days ago. Congratulations to Sligo who played well throughout. A first Connacht minor title for the Yeatsmen since 1968. Best of luck to them in the All Ireland semi final against Meath."
Hard luck to the minors they were beaten by a better and fresher team. The games came very close together for Roscommon this year so not a lot of time to recover. It seemed like the Connacht council wanted it over and out of the way as soon as possible.
Congratulations to Sligo they appear to have a few great prospects in that team. I'm old enough to remember the team of 68. Some of them went on to star for the seniors afterwards

Rossieforever (Roscommon) - Posts: 33 - 07/08/2021 08:56:33    2368411

Link

Firstly congrats to Sligo the better team on the night and best of luck v Meath in the All Ireland semi finalm

From our own point of view very disappointing result and performance . Our 2020 minors a few weeks ago conceded 3-21 v Kerry and we could easily have conceded a repeat score last night and in 60 minutes of football you simply can't expect to win a provincial final or All Ireland semi final when that loose defensively.

One of the after match reports described our performance as having lead in the boots and basically burnt themselves out with last weeks comeback win in Tuam, we could have done with a two week break instead of playing 3 games in 14 days that's for sure.

The loss of captain Colm Neary was a big blow as was Ethan O'Reilly plus Conor Harley just back from injury only lasted one half. There is no doubt sligo smelt blood and fair play to them they exploited the issues we had.

While it's a shame no title was won after a truly enjoyable U17 campaign the true success of any underage team is how many players go on to be good established county seniors and I would be fairly confident that a handful of those young Roscommon players will and last nights defeat could well be a blessing in disguise as they will learn a lot about themselves and the pain of defeat drives them on to brighter days.

Finally a big thank you to all the players and management for the huge work put in during a difficult covid year, you did your clubs and county proud.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2880 - 07/08/2021 11:15:31    2368438

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Firstly congrats to Sligo the better team on the night and best of luck v Meath in the All Ireland semi finalm

From our own point of view very disappointing result and performance . Our 2020 minors a few weeks ago conceded 3-21 v Kerry and we could easily have conceded a repeat score last night and in 60 minutes of football you simply can't expect to win a provincial final or All Ireland semi final when that loose defensively.

One of the after match reports described our performance as having lead in the boots and basically burnt themselves out with last weeks comeback win in Tuam, we could have done with a two week break instead of playing 3 games in 14 days that's for sure.

The loss of captain Colm Neary was a big blow as was Ethan O'Reilly plus Conor Harley just back from injury only lasted one half. There is no doubt sligo smelt blood and fair play to them they exploited the issues we had.

While it's a shame no title was won after a truly enjoyable U17 campaign the true success of any underage team is how many players go on to be good established county seniors and I would be fairly confident that a handful of those young Roscommon players will and last nights defeat could well be a blessing in disguise as they will learn a lot about themselves and the pain of defeat drives them on to brighter days.

Finally a big thank you to all the players and management for the huge work put in during a difficult covid year, you did your clubs and county proud."
Fully agree with that post. A painful defeat can teach a lot to young players. It's very rarely that Roscommon will beat both Mayo and Galway and not be Connacht champions but it happened last night. We lost by 5 points but Sligo could have won by 8 or 9 points really. A fresher Roscommon would surely have been closer but the Connacht Council scheduling caught up with us last night. I agree that Roscommon were not good defensively and of course that's why Galway went 11 points up in a short time last weekend. Sligo were impressive and I hope they take the Royals. I often think that the measure of a modern gaa team is their goalkeeper after the way Cluxton changed the role forever. Thought the Sligo keeper was excellent in his kicking and distribution and Sligo won most of their own kickouts despite the greasy ball. Sligo look a really balanced and well coached team.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 07/08/2021 12:20:21    2368456

Link

Roscommon were down 4 * 1st choice centre backs - David Flanagan/Adam Tighe/Ethan O reilly and colm neary. When you take those 4 lads out of the team - the spine of the team and the conditions last night - takes a lot to make up. Hopefully as everyone as said these lads drive on and keep at it. Where they go next year will be a telling point in their careers and hopefully they can stay together for the U 20's in a few yrs to come

flukey (Cavan) - Posts: 24 - 07/08/2021 13:13:34    2368473

Link

I'll be surprised if Sligo go any further. They aren't facing a Meath team that has to play 3 games in 14 days or had a six day turnaround from their last match.
Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2546 - 16/08/2021 21:29:56 2372158

---------------------

Went a long the lines as I expected. Meath nothing great either, poor Connacht scheduling has cost Roscommon a Connacht title and perhaps All-Ireland final appearance. Wouldn't have beaten Tyrone though. The clear stand out team at under 17 level this year and like 2017 they should go on to win another All-Ireland U17 title now.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2553 - 21/08/2021 16:01:03    2373612

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "I'll be surprised if Sligo go any further. They aren't facing a Meath team that has to play 3 games in 14 days or had a six day turnaround from their last match.
Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2546 - 16/08/2021 21:29:56 2372158

---------------------

Went a long the lines as I expected. Meath nothing great either, poor Connacht scheduling has cost Roscommon a Connacht title and perhaps All-Ireland final appearance. Wouldn't have beaten Tyrone though. The clear stand out team at under 17 level this year and like 2017 they should go on to win another All-Ireland U17 title now."
Sligo never looked likely to win even with an extra man for most of the second half. The scheduling in Connacht was unfair on Roscommon but in truth we were well beaten by what's shown now to be an ordinary Sligo team. I was impressed with Meath. They have some very good defenders but Tyrone seem to have an exceptional minor team this year.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 21/08/2021 16:46:29    2373622

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Sligo never looked likely to win even with an extra man for most of the second half. The scheduling in Connacht was unfair on Roscommon but in truth we were well beaten by what's shown now to be an ordinary Sligo team. I was impressed with Meath. They have some very good defenders but Tyrone seem to have an exceptional minor team this year."
Poor comment and unfair to Sligo.
Why can't Roscommon supporters be more gracious.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 230 - 21/08/2021 18:27:17    2373647

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Sligo never looked likely to win even with an extra man for most of the second half. The scheduling in Connacht was unfair on Roscommon but in truth we were well beaten by what's shown now to be an ordinary Sligo team. I was impressed with Meath. They have some very good defenders but Tyrone seem to have an exceptional minor team this year."
Well beaten because of as you say of unfair scheduling . If the boot was on the other foot whereby Sligo was given 3 games in 14 days and 6 day turnaround for the final how do you think they would have fared?

I wasn't that impressed by Meath, some good individuals but better Meath teams didn't win Leinster and its seems that group won a fairly ordinary Leinster championship this year.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2553 - 21/08/2021 18:40:17    2373650

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "Poor comment and unfair to Sligo.
Why can't Roscommon supporters be more gracious."
An accurate comment. I was supporting Sligo today hoping they'd reach the All Ireland Final as they did in 1968 when Sligo minors last won Connacht. In reality, Meath were a lot the better team today even when down a man for most of the second half. Nothing ungracious from Roscommon. Sligo are worthy Connacht champions but they weren't good enough today.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 21/08/2021 19:09:16    2373662

Link

Ah here. Sligo bet Leitrim by 9 points. Never looked like losing to Roscommon while playing great football. Had chances to go up by 6 against Meath in the first 15 mins. Meath built up a lead in the second 15 when Sligo didn't take their chances and Sligo couldn't crawl it back. Meath weren't anything we've never seen before but got on top of kick outs. Through general play though the teams weren't far apart nor were the players apart from physical size.
To say Sligo were an ordinary side is quite unfair considering they only lost by 5. Doesn't matter how comfortable Meath looked they still only won by 5, that was all. Imagine someone saying this about a Roscommon side after losing an all Ireland semi final. Didn't see it when they were convincingly beaten by Kerry last year in the AI SF. Horrible post imagine any of the lads reading that. Doesn't surprise me as there was a minority of Roscommon fans against Sligo hurling abuse at players and referees. Pure Arrogance.

Sligobuck21 (Sligo) - Posts: 16 - 24/08/2021 22:22:16    2374526

Link

Replying To Sligobuck21:  "Ah here. Sligo bet Leitrim by 9 points. Never looked like losing to Roscommon while playing great football. Had chances to go up by 6 against Meath in the first 15 mins. Meath built up a lead in the second 15 when Sligo didn't take their chances and Sligo couldn't crawl it back. Meath weren't anything we've never seen before but got on top of kick outs. Through general play though the teams weren't far apart nor were the players apart from physical size.
To say Sligo were an ordinary side is quite unfair considering they only lost by 5. Doesn't matter how comfortable Meath looked they still only won by 5, that was all. Imagine someone saying this about a Roscommon side after losing an all Ireland semi final. Didn't see it when they were convincingly beaten by Kerry last year in the AI SF. Horrible post imagine any of the lads reading that. Doesn't surprise me as there was a minority of Roscommon fans against Sligo hurling abuse at players and referees. Pure Arrogance."
Arrogance? Was at the Sligo go v Roscommon final and there were no supporters from either side "hurling abuse at players and referee" Roscommon supporters were very gracious in defeat and hurled nothing but best wishes to Sligo for their semi final.

reffingmad (Roscommon) - Posts: 243 - 26/08/2021 09:28:33    2374846

Link

Replying To Sligobuck21:  "Ah here. Sligo bet Leitrim by 9 points. Never looked like losing to Roscommon while playing great football. Had chances to go up by 6 against Meath in the first 15 mins. Meath built up a lead in the second 15 when Sligo didn't take their chances and Sligo couldn't crawl it back. Meath weren't anything we've never seen before but got on top of kick outs. Through general play though the teams weren't far apart nor were the players apart from physical size.
To say Sligo were an ordinary side is quite unfair considering they only lost by 5. Doesn't matter how comfortable Meath looked they still only won by 5, that was all. Imagine someone saying this about a Roscommon side after losing an all Ireland semi final. Didn't see it when they were convincingly beaten by Kerry last year in the AI SF. Horrible post imagine any of the lads reading that. Doesn't surprise me as there was a minority of Roscommon fans against Sligo hurling abuse at players and referees. Pure Arrogance."
Disappointing post. Roscommon people were supporting Sligo after ye knocked us out. I knew Meath were good and they proved that yesterday. Sligo though can be well pleased with a deserved first Connacht Minor title in over 50 years. From a Roscommon perspective, we beat both Mayo and Galway which is never easy. We are entitled to have issues with the scheduling of matches but that was the fault of the Connacht Council and nothing to do with Sligo who took their chance and were worthy winners over Roscommon in the Final.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1528 - 29/08/2021 11:54:53    2375950

Link