Wicklow Forum

Christy Ring Cup

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Luckyboy:  "Bray would give Kildare a better game than our county team. We were very poor and had at least 7 passengers on the team. Where is the 2 O'Briens, Moorehouse from St pats, Padraig Doyle, Masterson, Lohan etc Bray, Kavanagh, Weir O'Neil, O'Dowd Glenealy, Odohoue Carnew, Walshe, Byrne, Dan O'Neil Greystones. That's 12 and I'd say at least there is another 7 hurlers in Bray and Glenealy better than what we have now.
As for doing well competing in 2a that's a joke. Wicklow traditionally competed with Carlow, Kerry, Westmeath etc..We are a mile away from where we should be.
Making the same selection mistakes over and over and expecting better results is just stupid.
Change of management needed."
Luckyboy, the likes of Westmeath, Carlow Kerry etc who wicklow competed with very well over the years, have left us behind due to having proper underage structures and coaching in place in the different clubs. Our county board have done very little to improve hurling in the county in recent years and this will not change in the foreseeable future. The counties you named have put far more into their county hurling set ups than we have in the last 10-15 years hence why they are now operating in Division 1 of the league etc. We have relied on the few good individual's we had to keep the team performing at a decent level. Our development squads and underage teams are miles behind the westmeaths, carlow's etc. These counties are competing with the Kilkenny's and Dublin's at underage level in recent years. Most of the names you mentioned are decent hurlers but the reality is these lads don't want to hurl for the county otherwise they would be there.

wicklow88 (Wicklow) - Posts: 121 - 06/11/2020 16:04:07    2305619

Link

Replying To wicklow88:  "Luckyboy, the likes of Westmeath, Carlow Kerry etc who wicklow competed with very well over the years, have left us behind due to having proper underage structures and coaching in place in the different clubs. Our county board have done very little to improve hurling in the county in recent years and this will not change in the foreseeable future. The counties you named have put far more into their county hurling set ups than we have in the last 10-15 years hence why they are now operating in Division 1 of the league etc. We have relied on the few good individual's we had to keep the team performing at a decent level. Our development squads and underage teams are miles behind the westmeaths, carlow's etc. These counties are competing with the Kilkenny's and Dublin's at underage level in recent years. Most of the names you mentioned are decent hurlers but the reality is these lads don't want to hurl for the county otherwise they would be there."
Who do we play next.
Hope we can get back on track. We seem to be missing some vital players. We relied on a very few for scores during the league and we don't seem to have them players available.
Most intercounty teams pick off points from half back and midfield. Do we not have players who can do this.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 272 - 08/11/2020 15:37:38    2306120

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Who do we play next.
Hope we can get back on track. We seem to be missing some vital players. We relied on a very few for scores during the league and we don't seem to have them players available.
Most intercounty teams pick off points from half back and midfield. Do we not have players who can do this."
I suppose the answer you your question lies within the clubs hurlingnut. How many players do any of our senior clubs who can score regularly from those distances. Another skill which is in short supply in a lot of our senior clubs is the ability to catch a high ball under pressure. Also our speed of thought. I think that on balance, the majority of our top hurlers are on the panel, or were, before the pandemic. Many of our younger players still haven't as yet developed that hard edge so necessary to beat the better teams, and I don't mean dirty play . In this regard, to my mind, Danny Staunton's attitude to winning should be pointed out to all younger aspirants wishing to don the Wicklow jersey. I know it's not fair to single out players but his attitude and leadership qualities on the field make him stand out. We have other very decent players, but do they inspire the other players around them ? In my opinion we are at the correct level for our current skills set. Hopefully that can be worked on and improved. To this end, getting teams like Carnew to a point where they can actually win another championship is vital to the growth of hurling in the county.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 274 - 17/11/2020 20:34:30    2310822

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I suppose the answer you your question lies within the clubs hurlingnut. How many players do any of our senior clubs who can score regularly from those distances. Another skill which is in short supply in a lot of our senior clubs is the ability to catch a high ball under pressure. Also our speed of thought. I think that on balance, the majority of our top hurlers are on the panel, or were, before the pandemic. Many of our younger players still haven't as yet developed that hard edge so necessary to beat the better teams, and I don't mean dirty play . In this regard, to my mind, Danny Staunton's attitude to winning should be pointed out to all younger aspirants wishing to don the Wicklow jersey. I know it's not fair to single out players but his attitude and leadership qualities on the field make him stand out. We have other very decent players, but do they inspire the other players around them ? In my opinion we are at the correct level for our current skills set. Hopefully that can be worked on and improved. To this end, getting teams like Carnew to a point where they can actually win another championship is vital to the growth of hurling in the county."
Freethinker
The best team we could put out is light years ahead of what we have now. The hurling management seem to favour players who struggle to make any impact for there clubs and are passed the sell by date. Here is what I believe could win at Christy Ring Level. We have to get faster younger players involved and our best players on the field.
Dan ONeill Greystones
Luke Maloney. Bray
Stevan Kelly. Greystones
Warren Kavanagh. Glenealy
Dermot Masterson. Bray
John Henderson. Bray
Luke Evans. Kilcoole
Jack Doyle. Carnew
Danny Staunton. Glenealy
George O'Brien. St pats
Paurig Doyle. Bray
Christy Moorehouse. Bray
Jonathan O'Neill. Glenealy
Andy O'Brien. St pats
Michael Boland. Bray

McNally, McCormack, Weir, Lee, O'Dowd, Moorehouse jr, Traynor, Lohan, Walshe,

Luckyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 19 - 20/11/2020 22:57:07    2311887

Link

Replying To Luckyboy:  "Freethinker
The best team we could put out is light years ahead of what we have now. The hurling management seem to favour players who struggle to make any impact for there clubs and are passed the sell by date. Here is what I believe could win at Christy Ring Level. We have to get faster younger players involved and our best players on the field.
Dan ONeill Greystones
Luke Maloney. Bray
Stevan Kelly. Greystones
Warren Kavanagh. Glenealy
Dermot Masterson. Bray
John Henderson. Bray
Luke Evans. Kilcoole
Jack Doyle. Carnew
Danny Staunton. Glenealy
George O'Brien. St pats
Paurig Doyle. Bray
Christy Moorehouse. Bray
Jonathan O'Neill. Glenealy
Andy O'Brien. St pats
Michael Boland. Bray

McNally, McCormack, Weir, Lee, O'Dowd, Moorehouse jr, Traynor, Lohan, Walshe,"
Luckyboy, while that is a strong team..I have no doubt some of the players mentioned have been asked and for one reason or another can't commit or don't want to commit. It's the same in many counties similar to our level. It is a hard sell to young lads to commit to 4/5 nights a week and give up so much. It is far easier for the bigger counties to attract players as the rewards are much higher. I do hope if the current management are staying on that they recognise the need to blood some more younger players and give them their chance in div 2a next year and see can we build a team who can give the christy ring a proper go.

wicklow88 (Wicklow) - Posts: 121 - 22/11/2020 12:02:26    2312626

Link