Longford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I see the Roscommon championship is due to start on July the 31st. When do people think our one start and will the format change like it was supposed to.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 13/06/2020 17:35:50    2280677

Link

As usual the Longford county board are laggards when it comes to this. The majority of county boards have this sorted yet the longford board haven't even determined the number of teams in each championship yet. No sign of format, dates, fixtures etc. What have they been at for the last 3 months? I guess we should not be surprised. No doubt there is plenty of in fighting though! Standard enough behaviour in there.

maximus02 (Longford) - Posts: 115 - 17/06/2020 12:32:45    2281112

Link

Plan as I understand it:

3 rounds of championship on the weekends of 16/23/30 August (this is regardless of the number of teams being 10 or 12 - if it's 12, it will likely be four groups of three, if it's 10, then three rounds of teams drawn against each other in the same arrangement as the Cavan championship for the last couple of years).

Quarter-finals weekend of 13 September with matches played to a conclusion on the day - no replays before the final,

Semi-finals weekend of 20 September.

Final 4 October.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 114 - 20/06/2020 12:46:31    2281355

Link

the above dates could be brought forward due to government lifting restrictions last friday. so it's not that longford co board have been doing nothing for the last 3 months but there is no point publishing dates for games, numbers of teams, competitions format when so much can change in a matter of days. all players have to be asked if they are happy to return to play, that alone could have huge affect on competitions. so maybe instead of coming on criticising longford co board, wait and see what is happening or understand everything that is going on in the world. there was a meeting with clubs last thursday and 24hrs later loads had changed that wasnt know. try organising things instead of criticising.

BBrogan (Longford) - Posts: 46 - 22/06/2020 09:51:27    2281497

Link

Why do our clubs or CB never play by the rules. There was only supposed to be 10 senior teams this year but somehow Rathcline and Granard are back up after been relegated. Gaels and Cashel had the same happen previously. 21 clubs in the county and 12 senior..... Does not add up. On the field of play we really have 7 or 8 genuine senior teams. Gone beyond a joke.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 896 - 27/06/2020 22:10:31    2282070

Link

There's 12 teams in this year's championship and no relegation.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 28/06/2020 13:08:19    2282121

Link

Group 1: Colmcille, Mullinalaghta, Rathcline.
Group 2: Killoe, Clonguish, Mostrim.
Group 3: Longford Slashers, Fr. Manning Gaels, Carrickedmond.
Group 4: Dromard, Granard, Abbeylara.

Order of matches is 1 v 2, 2 v 3, 3 v 1

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 114 - 28/06/2020 14:59:46    2282134

Link

Replying To Nelson39:  "There's 12 teams in this year's championship and no relegation."
Rathcline and Granard were relegated last year but get to stay up. There was no relegation last year even though there was meant to be. And now no relegation this year.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 896 - 28/06/2020 17:19:43    2282153

Link

Replying To Spinx:  "Rathcline and Granard were relegated last year but get to stay up. There was no relegation last year even though there was meant to be. And now no relegation this year."
It's madness to think the Dublin Senior Championship has 16 teams and Longford has 12. Then with no promotion from the Intermediate Championship how is that fair on the winner of that competition ? I think they make it up as they go along.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 28/06/2020 18:15:58    2282159

Link

Replying To Spinx:  "Rathcline and Granard were relegated last year but get to stay up. There was no relegation last year even though there was meant to be. And now no relegation this year."
You can make an argument that relegation for this year would be unfair given the limitations on training and on the number of matches that can be played. But Rathcline and Granard being kept up is a joke.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 114 - 29/06/2020 03:02:22    2282196

Link

Rathcline must be delighted to be in the same group as Colmcille and Mullinalaghta after been allowed to stay up!!!

maximus02 (Longford) - Posts: 115 - 29/06/2020 12:41:46    2282227

Link

Does anyone actually know why Granard and Rathcline were allowed to stay in Senior this year? I have no recall of that decision being made or publicised. Did I miss that or was there no prior notice? 10 senior cship teams is more than enough. In fact 3 groups of 3 would be wholly sufficient.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 30/06/2020 10:46:36    2282347

Link

Think it had something to do with score difference, can't be relegated due to score difference? Not sure will be a tight champo hard to look by killoe and Mullinaghta

Longfordpat (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 30/06/2020 12:41:26    2282363

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Does anyone actually know why Granard and Rathcline were allowed to stay in Senior this year? I have no recall of that decision being made or publicised. Did I miss that or was there no prior notice? 10 senior cship teams is more than enough. In fact 3 groups of 3 would be wholly sufficient."
Granard and Rathcline whinged about the fact that they were relegated on score difference from a three team group last year.

The County Executive voted by what might be politely described as a narrow margin to keep the number of teams at 12 for this year and organize the championship on the basis of... three-team groups. The clubs had no input in the decision.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 114 - 30/06/2020 14:22:32    2282372

Link

So getting past the mumbers in the championship, who do we think will do well. Mullinalaghta will be looking for revenge, killoe will still be there. Group toppers i predict Mullinalaghta, killoe. slashers and St Marys.

BBrogan (Longford) - Posts: 46 - 04/07/2020 19:22:28    2283056

Link

St Columbas should win it unless a second wave of the virus closes the whole thing down again .
Expect them to easily win their group with a battle between colmcille and the Rats for the 2nd place.
Killoe will win their group handy and Clonguish will just about pip Mostrim for the 2nd spot in that group.
Longford Slashers as last years runners up should top their group but Carrickedmond could pip them as they always play well against Slashers. Can't see the Gaels making an impression on this group but will gain experience and must be delighted that there is no threat of relegation.
Dromard will probably top group 4 with Abbey outdoing their neighbours Granard. Of course with Darren Gallaher back this yr Granard could surprise Dromard on day one and throw that group wide open.
Anyway as I said at the beginning it will be a surprise if columbas don't win it out .
Colmcille will have a chance on the first day as I believe columbas May be down a few for that game due to sending offs last year.

jack99 (Dublin) - Posts: 16 - 05/07/2020 19:50:43    2283143

Link

Replying To jack99:  "St Columbas should win it unless a second wave of the virus closes the whole thing down again .
Expect them to easily win their group with a battle between colmcille and the Rats for the 2nd place.
Killoe will win their group handy and Clonguish will just about pip Mostrim for the 2nd spot in that group.
Longford Slashers as last years runners up should top their group but Carrickedmond could pip them as they always play well against Slashers. Can't see the Gaels making an impression on this group but will gain experience and must be delighted that there is no threat of relegation.
Dromard will probably top group 4 with Abbey outdoing their neighbours Granard. Of course with Darren Gallaher back this yr Granard could surprise Dromard on day one and throw that group wide open.
Anyway as I said at the beginning it will be a surprise if columbas don't win it out .
Colmcille will have a chance on the first day as I believe columbas May be down a few for that game due to sending offs last year."
Well as you said Darren Gallagher back is huge for Granard. they also have a few extra this year back from injury. I think Abbeylara have some players missing that were sent off after the semi last year. I think Colmcille could suprise Mullinalaghta again if they are missing a few. there is alot of teams in longford with not much between them. With the way the year has been injuries could have a big say. players pushing themselves harder that their bodies are able for. that could be the difference

BBrogan (Longford) - Posts: 46 - 05/07/2020 22:39:33    2283167

Link

Title likely between Killoe, Mullinalaghta or Slashers. All in with as good a shout as each other. Of the rest, Colmcille might get their act together but otherwise wouldn't expect to see anyone else pull off any shocks. Wouldn't be surprised to see same final pairing as last year, though wouldn't put money on the same outcome.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 05/07/2020 22:50:46    2283170

Link

championship has is more open now after hearing sean and pauric McCormack are not playing football this year. huge blow for killoe.

BBrogan (Longford) - Posts: 46 - 09/07/2020 22:17:52    2283622

Link

Replying To BBrogan:  "championship has is more open now after hearing sean and pauric McCormack are not playing football this year. huge blow for killoe."
Until they appear in the line out in the quarter finals. Sorry for the scepticism but I've seen it many times with many clubs in Longford down through the years.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 10/07/2020 14:06:37    2283682

Link