Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd be inclined to agree with McStay; not too often that I do.

https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/316488

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 13/04/2021 12:09:36    2337053

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "I'd be inclined to agree with McStay; not too often that I do.

https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/316488"
I find McStay a very clever pundit. He also stated before Kerry Cork last year while he expected a Kerry win that he would nt be surprised if Cork shocked Kerry. Time will tell but alot will depend on tactics and style of play. If PK plays to Kerry strengths we have a very good chance but if he goes back to an ultra defensive system we can forget about it.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 13/04/2021 13:32:19    2337064

Link

With the new enforced format and short run in, the sidelines hand will be forced to a degree with little chance to properly experiment or blood new players.

We may see a very settled team and system early season so we may know early doors where we are or what we are about.

Maybe it's no harm, the hand being forced as it also applies to players, if a 'new' player gets a chance he has 70 minutes to grab the game and jersey with maybe no second chance to impress his peers o and managerial team.

I think it will be very interesting but I for one am seriously looking forward to it.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 13/04/2021 17:25:43    2337090

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "With the new enforced format and short run in, the sidelines hand will be forced to a degree with little chance to properly experiment or blood new players.

We may see a very settled team and system early season so we may know early doors where we are or what we are about.

Maybe it's no harm, the hand being forced as it also applies to players, if a 'new' player gets a chance he has 70 minutes to grab the game and jersey with maybe no second chance to impress his peers o and managerial team.

I think it will be very interesting but I for one am seriously looking forward to it."
I am too. To me its time to get off the pot now and let's see if this team that are being talked up ate contenders or pretenders.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 13/04/2021 18:23:07    2337093

Link

I just read now that we are indeed to play dublin in Portlaoise instead of Killarney and we only have 1 home game whereas we were supposed to have 2.

What a total joke, dublin cheat and we get punished for some reason, what kind of an ejit is Tim Murphy to allow this to happen.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 13/04/2021 19:33:38    2337097

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "With the new enforced format and short run in, the sidelines hand will be forced to a degree with little chance to properly experiment or blood new players.

I think it will be very interesting but I for one am seriously looking forward to it."
Hope spring eternal Horse, especially when its the Kerry footballers we are talking about.

The wheel must surely turn at some point, if there is any God in the sky!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 13/04/2021 19:53:03    2337101

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read now that we are indeed to play dublin in Portlaoise instead of Killarney and we only have 1 home game whereas we were supposed to have 2.

What a total joke, dublin cheat and we get punished for some reason, what kind of an ejit is Tim Murphy to allow this to happen."
Yes it's wrong but maybe Kerry agreed to this. A few years ago we played Dublin two years in a row in croke park too as the gaa asked Kerry and Kerry agreed. Once again Kerry County board take a bow for Dublin but sure I'm making that up too I suppose. Maybe they are giving us money as we are so poor.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 13/04/2021 21:03:10    2337109

Link

It's a pitch, two goal posts, two dugouts and a changing room - no supporters either way so no home advantages, no favours and more importantly no excuses..

Pick out team and get on with it... no more hiding places this year, short condensed and must hit ground running..... away with ya....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 13/04/2021 22:19:51    2337117

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read now that we are indeed to play dublin in Portlaoise instead of Killarney and we only have 1 home game whereas we were supposed to have 2.

What a total joke, dublin cheat and we get punished for some reason, what kind of an ejit is Tim Murphy to allow this to happen."
It might be a good thing in disguise if it means we'll have 4 home games next year when hopefully us supporters will be allowed back in.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 13/04/2021 22:54:34    2337120

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Yes it's wrong but maybe Kerry agreed to this. A few years ago we played Dublin two years in a row in croke park too as the gaa asked Kerry and Kerry agreed. Once again Kerry County board take a bow for Dublin but sure I'm making that up too I suppose. Maybe they are giving us money as we are so poor."
Well you are wrong a lot and you're speculating about what happened this time.

The gaa are as crooked as dogs hind leg.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 13/04/2021 23:49:42    2337122

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "It's a pitch, two goal posts, two dugouts and a changing room - no supporters either way so no home advantages, no favours and more importantly no excuses..

Pick out team and get on with it... no more hiding places this year, short condensed and must hit ground running..... away with ya...."
It's not a simple as that horse, and wrong is wrong, we're supposed to be at home against the dubs this year.

But like I say the gaa are as crooked as a dogs hind leg, the dubs cheat and we lose home advantage.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 13/04/2021 23:53:05    2337123

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "It's a pitch, two goal posts, two dugouts and a changing room - no supporters either way so no home advantages, no favours and more importantly no excuses..

Pick out team and get on with it... no more hiding places this year, short condensed and must hit ground running..... away with ya...."
Ordinarily I'd say that having to travel to Portlaoise would be a disadvantage to Kerry, but when no supporters will be involved, I don't think that it's such a big deal; and there's little reason to make a song and dance about it.

Overall, Murphy is a decent enough chairperson.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 14/04/2021 00:25:55    2337125

Link

Well said no excuses now if we are good enough we will win anywhere this is it this has to be our year. it will be hard to pick a team if everyone is fit very hard but anyway this is my team.. Ryan in goal Foley, Morley, O'sullivan, murphy, Gavin Crowley, White, jack Barry, Diarmuid o'connor S. O brien, S. oShea, Buckley, Killian, Clifford, Geaney. I will give Foley one more chance if not i would have o, Beaglaioch in there. As for midfield the same thing its time for those two now to show us what they got especially for Diarmuid this is a big year for him I think he has a lot of talent and i hope he can get it together. I will give Buckley another chance too assuming he is still around if not I would have Burns in there.

chicago09 (Kerry) - Posts: 688 - 14/04/2021 02:29:36    2337126

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Well you are wrong a lot and you're speculating about what happened this time.

The gaa are as crooked as dogs hind leg."
We are all wrong from time to time but I would nt say I'm wrong alot. Most of what I've posted has been proved correct. Yes this time I'm guessing but I would imagine KCB had to agree to these changes in fixtures. KCB did concede home advantage to Dublin in 2012 league after a request from the gaa. I would guess (although I don't know) that there was a monetary reward involved. Kerry gave bowed to Dublin on more than one occasion and the gaa. Yes I will agree with you on one thing and that is yes the hierarchy of the gaa are crooked and self serving.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 14/04/2021 10:15:06    2337140

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "We are all wrong from time to time but I would nt say I'm wrong alot. Most of what I've posted has been proved correct. Yes this time I'm guessing but I would imagine KCB had to agree to these changes in fixtures. KCB did concede home advantage to Dublin in 2012 league after a request from the gaa. I would guess (although I don't know) that there was a monetary reward involved. Kerry gave bowed to Dublin on more than one occasion and the gaa. Yes I will agree with you on one thing and that is yes the hierarchy of the gaa are crooked and self serving."
Generally, Mick is rather astute in his assessment of matters GAA, and very much so about his native county of Kerry. It's a good guestimate to engage in, actually. For where would the rationale or logic be in Kerry agreeing to give up home advantage for absolutely nothing?

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 14/04/2021 10:43:47    2337146

Link

Replying To chicago09:  "Well said no excuses now if we are good enough we will win anywhere this is it this has to be our year. it will be hard to pick a team if everyone is fit very hard but anyway this is my team.. Ryan in goal Foley, Morley, O'sullivan, murphy, Gavin Crowley, White, jack Barry, Diarmuid o'connor S. O brien, S. oShea, Buckley, Killian, Clifford, Geaney. I will give Foley one more chance if not i would have o, Beaglaioch in there. As for midfield the same thing its time for those two now to show us what they got especially for Diarmuid this is a big year for him I think he has a lot of talent and i hope he can get it together. I will give Buckley another chance too assuming he is still around if not I would have Burns in there."
Ya, that is more or less the team that started against Cork -for me I'd be leaning along the lines of; Shane Ryan, Graham O'Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Adrain Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane.

That's still leave you options like Brión O'Beagleacht, Gavin and Peter Crowley, Jason Foley, Mike Breen, Liam Kearney, Joe O'Connor, Ronan Buckley & Mike Foley for midfield and up front, Dara Moynihan, Paul O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, the Crokes duo of Brosnan and Burns. James if he is still available and whatever new players that have joined the ranks.

The XV I have selected is settled but still you are experimenting with Sherwood, Paudie and Killian inside... your bench still has experience to come in and maintain the tempo or raise it in the likes of Dara and Stephen

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 14/04/2021 14:05:50    2337172

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, that is more or less the team that started against Cork -for me I'd be leaning along the lines of; Shane Ryan, Graham O'Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Adrain Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane.

That's still leave you options like Brión O'Beagleacht, Gavin and Peter Crowley, Jason Foley, Mike Breen, Liam Kearney, Joe O'Connor, Ronan Buckley & Mike Foley for midfield and up front, Dara Moynihan, Paul O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, the Crokes duo of Brosnan and Burns. James if he is still available and whatever new players that have joined the ranks.

The XV I have selected is settled but still you are experimenting with Sherwood, Paudie and Killian inside... your bench still has experience to come in and maintain the tempo or raise it in the likes of Dara and Stephen"
I like your team Horsebox with maybe S. O Brien for Paudie but maybe worth giving Paudie a start. O Brien would be a great sub to come on and inject pace against a tired set of backs.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 14/04/2021 16:03:33    2337191

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "It might be a good thing in disguise if it means we'll have 4 home games next year when hopefully us supporters will be allowed back in."
If by playing the dubs in Portlaoise in this year league means we have them at home next year then I'd have no problem with that Kerry15, a full house in Austin Stack Park next spring would be great financially and badly wanted I'm sure after the Covid disaster.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 14/04/2021 16:20:13    2337197

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, that is more or less the team that started against Cork -for me I'd be leaning along the lines of; Shane Ryan, Graham O'Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Adrain Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane.

The XV I have selected is settled but still you are experimenting with Sherwood, Paudie and Killian inside... your bench still has experience to come in and maintain the tempo or raise it in the likes of Dara and Stephen"
Good team Horse.

I also agree with your point that, from the off next month, we (and everyone else) will need to have a settled side. There is little to no time for experimentation or for having the eye on what's coming up on the road ahead this year.

If my advice was worth anything to the men on the sideline it would be thus: place your trust in the skill and ability of our forwards. Do your best to make sure we are as solid as we can be at the back and through the spine, but always remember the only guarantee of victory is to get more flags raised then the men opposite you.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 14/04/2021 19:55:30    2337222

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "We are all wrong from time to time but I would nt say I'm wrong alot. Most of what I've posted has been proved correct. Yes this time I'm guessing but I would imagine KCB had to agree to these changes in fixtures. KCB did concede home advantage to Dublin in 2012 league after a request from the gaa. I would guess (although I don't know) that there was a monetary reward involved. Kerry gave bowed to Dublin on more than one occasion and the gaa. Yes I will agree with you on one thing and that is yes the hierarchy of the gaa are crooked and self serving."
Wrong a lot? Mick you do more back tracking than a JCB :-)

Only joking kid, sure we all have our moments, sure didn't I think the centenary final was played in Thurles :-0

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 14/04/2021 20:11:12    2337223

Link