Donegal Forum

Ulster Draw 2016

(Oldest Posts First)

Everyone happy with the Ulster draw?

I am. I'd much rather play Tyrone in the semi-final than a final. Win, and we've a great shout at Ulster. Lose, and we've time to recover in the qualifiers. Plus, with Monaghan's pre-lim draw and potential banana skins against Fermanagh or Cavan - we'll be the fresher team if we meet them in an Ulster final. That said, we have to get past Antrim first... but lady luck has once again given us a nice home draw to start.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 188 - 14/10/2016 11:01:10    1926123

Link

Al_Maguire spot on there, we could not have got a better draw. No disrespect meant to Antrim but we should beat them at home. This will be a great opportunity for Rory to play some of the young guns. Tyrone (if they beat Derry) in the semi-final will be the acid test, if we win that then we have a great chance of winning Ulster, if we lose then we have time to recover through the qualifiers.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 14/10/2016 11:11:35    1926131

Link

Good post Ali. Mixed feelings on draw but there are no easy draws in Ulster. On reflection though if Tyrone do get the upper hand in the semi final leaves a bit of time for Donegal to make a run at the qualifiers reasonably fresh which could really benefit the team. Monaghan have on paper what might be perceived as an easier draw however they will have 3 potentially tricky games and will not be as fresh as Tyrone or Donegal when it comes to the final. The way I look at it is if Donegal do beat Tyrone in the semi final I think the momentum will be huge going into the final which will make Donegal very hard to beat with the added incentive of losing the last 2 Ulster finals. Again the draw just highlights that change is needed within its structure. The current proposal is all about greed and money and does nothing to address the lopsided nature of some of the provinces. Again Kerry have their usual handy passage to the last 12 minimum and Roscommon have to beat London or Leitrim to reach the same stage. This when Monaghan or Fermanagh would face one another before Cavan, Down or Armagh before a bruising Ulster final to get to the same stage.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 14/10/2016 11:50:30    1926166

Link