Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As I said I read it in local paper after offaly match the full artical was an interview with chin. As regards links I wouldn't have a clue how to even find it. Im surprised you didn't see it since you supposedly know all about Wexford hurling.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 04/08/2016 12:15:59    1895339

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "PT109 (limerick) just in case you've forgotten, in Liam Dunne's 5 year reign Limerick have failed to get out of Div 1b also. With all the millions JP is pumping into Limerick GAA you should stick to your own forum and critique your own management reign.

Mr Fox welcome back from division 4 football, yes Power should step down, there's obviously not much to write on the football forum this year!! Nice to have beaten Cork for the first time in the championship in 60 years and get to the last 6 in the hurling championship... wouldn't put Power and Dunne's name in the same sentence..."
Do you own this forum? I'm a wexford man who lives in Limerick (as if I need explain). You are correct that Limerick have very similar troubles. If that is your only defence of Dunne, then he's in trouble.

PT109 (Limerick) - Posts: 61 - 04/08/2016 12:17:18    1895343

Link

Just thought you were a stickler for facts Mr Fox, I'm a wexford hurling supporter, I read the local news papers etc. and never saw Chin mention that. As you're so sure, I asked where the article could be located? I certainly do not have all the answers and never claimed too, but I am open to logical arguments not anecdotal evidence or hear say, unlike the gossip you proclaim as facts. Anyway I'm over this debate it's just meaningless and not focused on team performance.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 04/08/2016 14:10:57    1895514

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Right i heard from a friend whos very close to player,that tonights the night that liams dunnes rein as manager is over and as far as the players know frank flannery is the man taking over!!"
Well God help us all. if that's the case I'm off. I couldn't go through another new manager at this stage. I only got involved in this forum to give balance to the argument as to whether Dunne should go or stay. I gave it my best shot. Thanks and good luck to all.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 04/08/2016 16:48:09    1895728

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "We were a last minute one point win from playing in a relegation play off from 1B in 2016?
Would you call that struggling to stay in the 2nd tier?

Do you actually know where we were hurling in 2011 when Liam Dunne took over? We were in Division 1 of the League where we actually done enough to stay up beating Offaly, Cork and drawings with Tipperary (only for the GAA to relegate us with the re-org) so where is this struggling to stay in the 2nd tier stuff coming from?"
Ah yeah, but where were we in the Championship. Who won the league that year? I bet you'd have to look that up. Its all about the Championship. It was the powers that be in Croke Park who put us in Division ib not Liam Dunne.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 04/08/2016 16:54:14    1895738

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Ah yeah, but where were we in the Championship. Who won the league that year? I bet you'd have to look that up. Its all about the Championship. It was the powers that be in Croke Park who put us in Division ib not Liam Dunne."
Listen your argument was we were struggling to remain as a 2nd tier county when Liam Dunne took over and now we aren't struggling anymore and that in your eyes is progress. Your words.

But the fact is we were never struggling to remain as a 2nd tier hurling county. We were a second tier hurling county when he took over and we still are one. Very simple. In 2011 we were beaten by Kilkenny in the park in the championship by 11 points, after 5 years of progress what did the beat us by last year, we went on to lose to limerick by 5 that year. I believe Dublin won the league that year although I could be wrong.

League or championship we were never struggling to remain a 2nd tier hurling county as you stated, although struggling to beat Carlow in the park in 2013 was possible as close as we came when John Meyler was over the Carlow hurlers.

like I said your argument is null and void, your basing progress on a supposed position we were never in. Your in about looking things up, you didn't even know were were a division 1 team when Liam Dunne took over, you recently claimed we hadn't beaten Tipperary since the 60s is another example. Like I said I can see merits in Liam Dunne staying on as manager but I hope whoever is actually arguing his case is going a better job than you for his sake.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 04/08/2016 19:09:18    1895821

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "Listen your argument was we were struggling to remain as a 2nd tier county when Liam Dunne took over and now we aren't struggling anymore and that in your eyes is progress. Your words.

But the fact is we were never struggling to remain as a 2nd tier hurling county. We were a second tier hurling county when he took over and we still are one. Very simple. In 2011 we were beaten by Kilkenny in the park in the championship by 11 points, after 5 years of progress what did the beat us by last year, we went on to lose to limerick by 5 that year. I believe Dublin won the league that year although I could be wrong.

League or championship we were never struggling to remain a 2nd tier hurling county as you stated, although struggling to beat Carlow in the park in 2013 was possible as close as we came when John Meyler was over the Carlow hurlers.

like I said your argument is null and void, your basing progress on a supposed position we were never in. Your in about looking things up, you didn't even know were were a division 1 team when Liam Dunne took over, you recently claimed we hadn't beaten Tipperary since the 60s is another example. Like I said I can see merits in Liam Dunne staying on as manager but I hope whoever is actually arguing his case is going a better job than you for his sake."
Ok so I missed the Tipp win in 2007 but whats that got to do with the bigger picture.? If that's all you can base your atgument on, you're really scrapping the bottom of the pot. There was a lot more in my post that you have nothing to say about. Why does that not suprise me? And where's this "like I said I can see merits of Liam Dunne staying on as manager" coming from? You've just hedging your bets in case he does get another year, your sitting on the fence, afraid you'd have to eat humble pie. Man up and put your cards on the table.

Now you tell me all the other times we beat the top teams in the championship, even since 1997, and I'm sure it won't add up to being a tier 1 team. Again if you took the time to fully read my posts, instead of spending all your time Googling, you'll see that I was talking about championship and not league form.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 04/08/2016 19:36:22    1895838

Link

^ Its fairly obvious we've a difference of opinion here but can we just stop this pages and pages of arguements going in circles? As i've said previously I think the Liam Dunne reign as manager has to be put into context. We were in division 1 when he arrived with probably our less talented squad in years and built on the back of no underage success what so ever. Liam's appointment coincided with far more talented and competitive wexford underage teams coming through providing a good flow of very good hurlers. However , after 5 years in the job where are the signs of progression? We've failed to really threaten getting out of division 1b, including sufferrering an awful beating to limerick last year and struggling to beat Laois by a point to avoid a relegation play off. Is that progress?

Lets look at our championship record. In 5 years we've failed to make a leinster final including a 24 point to defeat to Limerick in Thurles last year, a 21 point defeat i think it was to Kk and a 12 point defeat to dublin in Croke park not to mention a 10 point defeat to waterford in our most recent championship game.

However to be fair on Liam, our squad does consist of 99% of players 25 and under and we have made two all ireland 1/4 finals in three years but its the inconsistency in both performances, results and player morale that has left a constant cloud over this squad of players. As I said we seem to be going in circles. I wouldn't have any major objection to Liam staying on to see what he can achieve with a fully fit squad and a full hand to choose from but I just feel a fresh voice to try take the next step may be needed. The players need to sit down with Liam and conduct a good review of how we can push this on.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 04/08/2016 21:00:57    1895880

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Ok so I missed the Tipp win in 2007 but whats that got to do with the bigger picture.? If that's all you can base your atgument on, you're really scrapping the bottom of the pot. There was a lot more in my post that you have nothing to say about. Why does that not suprise me? And where's this "like I said I can see merits of Liam Dunne staying on as manager" coming from? You've just hedging your bets in case he does get another year, your sitting on the fence, afraid you'd have to eat humble pie. Man up and put your cards on the table.

Now you tell me all the other times we beat the top teams in the championship, even since 1997, and I'm sure it won't add up to being a tier 1 team. Again if you took the time to fully read my posts, instead of spending all your time Googling, you'll see that I was talking about championship and not league form."
You never mentioned championship or league. The vast majority of posters apart from your alter ego/other log in name see you for what you are. Cragask called it out. Your argument is based in fiction, with other rubbish such as the last 3 minutes in portlaoise this league being the most important in the history of Wexford hurling. YE might want to listen to the podcast with art Foley and ned wheeler when they spoke about the 56 final and played a 3 or 4 minute clip of the final, pop over to NY and tell art Foley the last 3 minutes in portlaoise was the most important!!You've constantly been asked to give your opinion on matches you wear at but never do.

Some of your quotes when Dunne took over we were struggling to best third tier teams, no we weren't!
Wexford hurling was at Rick bottom! No it wasn't
We couldn't beat Offaly for nearly 20 years! Again not true

You claimed progress based on the fact we were struggling to remain a tier 2 hurling team when Liam Dunne took over. Fill us in in that? How were we struggling? Where?

I admire your stance but des.ing in reality would mean people might take you seriously although at this stage that boat has probably sailed Your now talking about adding up to be a tier 1 team for example when no one mentioned anything of the sort!!!

yes I can see merits in Liam Dunne staying on, he is in my book a very good manager. The question is whether he is the right manager for Wexford going forward.

The reasons he might be are the continuity in keeping the manager there with a team he has been working with now for a number of years. He obviously has a knowledge and a relationship with those players and he has proven on occasions that he can get us prepared to the levels that fulfills our expectations and can bring off victories against teams at a higher level than us. He has a knowledge of the Wexford hurling scene that most potential candidates won't have. He is a passionate man with the best for Wexford hurling first and foremost in his mind. Wexford during his tenure has had a much more professional approach to how the team has been run and he is a manager that garners a lot of good will around the country. That's what I've found when travelling with my job and when the conversations turn to hurling.

Now they are actually some real reasons and arguments I can put forward for Liam Dunne remaining in the job and why I see the merits in him remaining. The problem for you is that's in stark contrast to the rubbish you've been coming out with as reasons that he should remain such as basing progress on a fictitious era of our recent history that never existed.

Your support is actually doing him more harm than good but if Liam Dunne does get another year then yeah he will have my support and the same goes for another man coming if that's the case.

Hove openly admitted above that if a new manager comes in your off, can't go through another new manager at this stage! I'll support Wexford no matter who the manage is, your gone if Liam Dunne goes!!

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 04/08/2016 21:07:12    1895882

Link

At this stage I won't be bothering conversing any more with gminor. There's no point.

There are pros and cons to the Liam Dunne management situation at the moment, anyone who can't only see one side of the argument be it pro or con and refuses to even acknowledge the other side isn't worth the effort.

Whatever happens I hope it's done soon so we can move on one way or another. We are entering the busiest schedule of club games and we need the man in place as soon as possible.

If the rumours are true about Flannery then so be it, I'm not sure if he's the right man for the job personally, I wouldn't hold his involvement against cork this year against him, he was only a coach with no game or selection input but I'm not sure he has the experience necessary in my eyes.

Who knows what's happening behind the scenes at the minute but let's hoe it's put to bed soon.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 04/08/2016 21:54:42    1895910

Link

gminor is correct, we were not 'relegated' to div 1 b while under Dunne's management, Croke Park decided to divide div 1 into A and B.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 04/08/2016 22:27:44    1895930

Link

i am still waiting for gminor to tell who hurled well in the minor leinster final he was in section 524 row E seat 23 he said.........
i am also waiting for his synopsis on the club matches.or even any match might be a starting point.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 05/08/2016 08:44:09    1896012

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Right i heard from a friend whos very close to player,that tonights the night that liams dunnes rein as manager is over and as far as the players know frank flannery is the man taking over!!"
You might need to get a new source

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1444 - 05/08/2016 09:16:29    1896023

Link

Where is everyone getting the notion that Frank Flannery would make a good wexford manager..he was the coach of Waterford and Derek McGrath got rid if him after wex beat them. He was a selector/ coach with cork this year, and we all know how that ended. And as per some posters on this forum they think Frank had no say with either team..utter garbage. And now some posters think he should manage wexford? Stephen Doyle hadn't been in the panel for two years and was brought on in the all Ireland semifinal. Oulart had the wind in the first half of the match, and they decided to play with 5 forwards, all poor technical and managerial decisions. Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. Very questionable managerial decisions.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 05/08/2016 13:10:51    1896201

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Where is everyone getting the notion that Frank Flannery would make a good wexford manager..he was the coach of Waterford and Derek McGrath got rid if him after wex beat them. He was a selector/ coach with cork this year, and we all know how that ended. And as per some posters on this forum they think Frank had no say with either team..utter garbage. And now some posters think he should manage wexford? Stephen Doyle hadn't been in the panel for two years and was brought on in the all Ireland semifinal. Oulart had the wind in the first half of the match, and they decided to play with 5 forwards, all poor technical and managerial decisions. Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. Very questionable managerial decisions."
"Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. "
he might be just what jack guiney needs....

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 05/08/2016 14:17:23    1896251

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Where is everyone getting the notion that Frank Flannery would make a good wexford manager..he was the coach of Waterford and Derek McGrath got rid if him after wex beat them. He was a selector/ coach with cork this year, and we all know how that ended. And as per some posters on this forum they think Frank had no say with either team..utter garbage. And now some posters think he should manage wexford? Stephen Doyle hadn't been in the panel for two years and was brought on in the all Ireland semifinal. Oulart had the wind in the first half of the match, and they decided to play with 5 forwards, all poor technical and managerial decisions. Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. Very questionable managerial decisions."
How do you know bringing on stephen doyle was a poor tactical decision, how was he going in training?? Nobody said flannery was perfect but were we to go through Liam Dunnes efforts with oulart(not to mention wexford) id be typing until next week. How about how much more Flannery got from Des Mythen, a player wasted at his peak by Dunne.

You cannot defend Dunne by trying to discredit flannery! As was said before, a manager is completely different to a selector anyone with experience of either can appreciate that. Also how do you know Mcgrath got rid of him? Maybe he left because he didnt like where waterford were going under Mcgrath??
You know what they say about presumption.......

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 05/08/2016 14:46:49    1896267

Link

Again castletownman is full of hearsay.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 06/08/2016 02:47:09    1896490

Link

Well said hurler101.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 06/08/2016 09:34:46    1896502

Link

Replying To perfect10:  ""Darren Stamp never trained the whole year, never played any important club championship game that year and was brought on. "
he might be just what jack guiney needs...."
And what will the rest of the panel think? It was supposedly the panel asked Jack to make his mind up. He made his decision, which I totally respect but I like everyone else wished he'd made the other decision. I am looking forward to seeing Gary Laffin back at full forward though, he was great on his day. They say he can still do it so I'm pretty sure Flannery would give him a run, if he gets the job.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 06/08/2016 10:55:14    1896525

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i am still waiting for gminor to tell who hurled well in the minor leinster final he was in section 524 row E seat 23 he said.........
i am also waiting for his synopsis on the club matches.or even any match might be a starting point."
[X] What's your obsessive interest in me analysing a game for you when youself, cragast tearing and a few more journalistic wannabes do it all the time. The only problem with ye is that ye seem to have been at different games. One says things like - a hurler is too left handed/too slow etc. and another says no he's not did you not see him do such and such - now give me a break why in the name of God would i want get involved in that childish clap trap. Please tell me why would I want to read an analysis of a game, by someone who watched the game in his local, when I was at the game and saw for myself. But if you're practicing to be a sports journalist and you think it makes you feel smart, please continue, but don't expect me to join in.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 06/08/2016 11:03:38    1896529

Link