Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't think that is fair gusseraneman. Diarmuid Deveraux went to the end of the earth to defend Liam Dunne after the Dublin game.
I wonder would we be better looking to the likes of Liam Sheedy or Anthony Cunningham or someone like that?
For what it is worth, I don't feel anybody personally criticised Liam Dunne. People criticised his lack of a strategy and some of his man management skills (there are 2 sides to every story) but I think everybody recognises what a wonderful servant he has been to Wexford hurling, and he 100% leaves the job a more appealing one than he took on.
I was ready for next year after the league, a new manager with a lot to prove but some of our players have a lot to prove under a new management also. If all managers are wrong, then maybe they are not the problem.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 26/07/2016 11:34:03    1890246

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "I don't think that is fair gusseraneman. Diarmuid Deveraux went to the end of the earth to defend Liam Dunne after the Dublin game.
I wonder would we be better looking to the likes of Liam Sheedy or Anthony Cunningham or someone like that?
For what it is worth, I don't feel anybody personally criticised Liam Dunne. People criticised his lack of a strategy and some of his man management skills (there are 2 sides to every story) but I think everybody recognises what a wonderful servant he has been to Wexford hurling, and he 100% leaves the job a more appealing one than he took on.
I was ready for next year after the league, a new manager with a lot to prove but some of our players have a lot to prove under a new management also. If all managers are wrong, then maybe they are not the problem."
i going by want i have heard from county board memebers at matches including the fore mentioned county board chairman i know this for a fact because i heard wat they were saying about him .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 26/07/2016 11:45:34    1890265

Link

I heard rumours about flannery taking over as far back as April or May

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 26/07/2016 11:52:35    1890270

Link

Lads ye have a very young team. Dunne as brought alot of true. Now to be honest i dont no if dunne should stay are go. Maybe and its just a maybe that he as brought them as far as he can. But i do no one thing/ ye have to get out of 1b hurling. Theres a gulf in class between 1a and 1b. Even if ye got promoted next year and done very little in the championship. I would call that a good season. At least year lads would be alittle battled hardened for the following championship.

hogan35 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 93 - 26/07/2016 12:07:14    1890283

Link

Flannery was with Waterford when Wexford bet them and knocked them out of the Championship and now he's with Cork and we've just beaten them. Yes he managed Oulart to a Leinster final, Dunne got them to Leinster too. Flannery is certainly not the man for us. Maybe see what the players themselves want?

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 26/07/2016 12:23:11    1890302

Link

I just want to see ye back up there. I want to see ye in leinster finals. I remember being in new ross when both our teams where in the leinster finals. The town would be abuzz talking about the up coming match. I want to see ye beating dublin more often. Plus id like to see offaly back. I think the county board need to do something. Ye have some good young players/ I think that is a good start. But whatever is goen on down there lads, get it together please. We need ye back.

hogan35 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 93 - 26/07/2016 12:28:18    1890307

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Flannery was with Waterford when Wexford bet them and knocked them out of the Championship and now he's with Cork and we've just beaten them. Yes he managed Oulart to a Leinster final, Dunne got them to Leinster too. Flannery is certainly not the man for us. Maybe see what the players themselves want?"
Letting your love for dunne hide facts again! Flannery won a leinster, which dunne could not manage!!!!
Dunne tried on numerous occassions with a more talented group!! Flannery had a visible dame plan and style he wanted them to play, all players knew there role and the team was better than the individuals, which was not the case under dunne! You cannot compare a selectors position to a managers!! As a manager, short as it is, flannerys record is good!!!

Not saying he should get it, id love Daly myself, but i do think he would advance our team in a way dunne cannot! As seen in oulart!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 26/07/2016 13:08:15    1890348

Link

If we are to make a change or stick with Liam Dunne for another year then the decision needs to be made asap.

Either way we wont have time to blink from this weekend with the amount of club games that will be run off. Whoever the manager is to be needs time to be attending as many games as he can to check out how potential players are acquiting themselves. He wll need as much time as possible to get himself organised. No point in the County Board dragging it out, make a decision one way or the other and we start now preparing for next year.

If they decide not to go with Liam Dunne for another year then he leaves with his head held high safe in the knowledge he done all he could to further the cause of Wexford hurling and leaves us in a far healthier state than when he took over.

If they dont go with an outside man such as Sheedy etc (which i dont believe they will for monetary reasons) then i believe that JJ Doyle should head the list ahead of the likes of Flannery. At county level he has been our most successful manager for years and furthermore the majority of the current crop of players have all worked with him and won with him also. Politics might play a part in him not getting it but for me he should be top of the list if we are to stay within the county.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 26/07/2016 14:18:09    1890405

Link

Liam Dunne has been a fantastic servant to Wexford hurling and contributed immensely to some of our best days. However I believe he should have gone last year and defo should go now. Five years is a long time especially when one is winning nothing. Tbf also he did take the job when no one else wanted it. I agree we need to get someone in immediately as we need to hit the ground running.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1004 - 26/07/2016 14:25:37    1890411

Link

JJ Doyle was very successful of course with the camogie team but he was handed a great hand when he took over the under-21 panel but in his first year we allowed Antrim to beat us and last year we totally allowed Limerick to dictate how and where the match was played a bit like the seniors against Kilkenny and Cork last year. I'm not convinced either that Dublins u-21s were a better team this year either. Personally I believe we need to look elsewhere.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1004 - 26/07/2016 14:32:53    1890419

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "If we are to make a change or stick with Liam Dunne for another year then the decision needs to be made asap.

Either way we wont have time to blink from this weekend with the amount of club games that will be run off. Whoever the manager is to be needs time to be attending as many games as he can to check out how potential players are acquiting themselves. He wll need as much time as possible to get himself organised. No point in the County Board dragging it out, make a decision one way or the other and we start now preparing for next year.

If they decide not to go with Liam Dunne for another year then he leaves with his head held high safe in the knowledge he done all he could to further the cause of Wexford hurling and leaves us in a far healthier state than when he took over.

If they dont go with an outside man such as Sheedy etc (which i dont believe they will for monetary reasons) then i believe that JJ Doyle should head the list ahead of the likes of Flannery. At county level he has been our most successful manager for years and furthermore the majority of the current crop of players have all worked with him and won with him also. Politics might play a part in him not getting it but for me he should be top of the list if we are to stay within the county."
i have spoken to a number of lads that played under JJ and they were not convinced by him at all. Tactically nieve and too old fashioned were things that came back to me! Do we want to replace done with a like for like as I see it or do we gk for something different!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 26/07/2016 14:33:00    1890420

Link

tearintom just like david power i think this will be dragged out for ages,eventually being decided on around november.
i agree with you on liam dunne,he has done all he can and took us from a very dark place to at least brightness at the end of the tunnel.
but i don't think frank flannery will be much cheaper than the like of liam sheedy to be fair.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 26/07/2016 14:41:53    1890429

Link

During Liam Dunne's 5 year reign, Wexford have failed to get promotion from Division 1B of the league. They have exited the championship each year with a 10 point, 10 point, 24 point, 8 point (with home advantage) and 11 point defeats. Injuries this year will not excuse that record.

PT109 (Limerick) - Posts: 61 - 26/07/2016 14:46:56    1890431

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "i have spoken to a number of lads that played under JJ and they were not convinced by him at all. Tactically nieve and too old fashioned were things that came back to me! Do we want to replace done with a like for like as I see it or do we gk for something different!"
at the end of the day it all comes down to money which we have very little of which rules all the big name managers out there . either they keep liam which i hope they do , or it will be an unproven outside manager or jj doyle , which sections of the county board are against .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 26/07/2016 14:51:41    1890434

Link

but they have enough money for david power?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 26/07/2016 15:25:14    1890456

Link

Having read these post for the last few months I decided to comment on a few points regarding a future Wexford manager.

1- There are players and there are managers, but one has to remember that very few of the top players make top managers, yes, Liam Dunne was a great player, gave years of service to Wexford, but as a manager he has failed to deliver- that is a fact.

2- In my opinion we have nobody within the County fit to manage a Wexford Senior Hurling team that would get them to compete at the highest level- again this is fact- JJ won camogie All Irelands, but lads be real, it is a totally different ball game, and the U-21 performances were brave etc, but they were totally inept tactically.

3- We need to get away from 96, none of that team have made it as a manager and to be honest none of them will, its time to move on.

PatrickS (Wexford) - Posts: 5 - 26/07/2016 15:26:23    1890458

Link

Power and Dunne should be stood down straight away.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 26/07/2016 18:08:53    1890570

Link

I'd be in favour of a change personally,nobody can question dunnes commitment to wexford and his drive for us to succeed but 5 years is a long enough stint at intercounty people like Cody,mikey harte and Sean boylan aren't the norm there some of the best managers in gaa history. Is wins against Clare,Waterford and cork over a 5 year period enough to warrant a reappointment probably not

Looking at next year whoever the manager is its vital we're picking from as strong a squad as possible if we do I there's enough talent there for us to kick on. For example I picked the below team for the start of next years league potentially

Fanning/Ollie o'leary

Kenny
O'hanlon
Shaun Murphy

Ryan
Foley
Jack O'Connor

Redmond
o'keefe

Guiney
Chin
aidan Nolan

Rory O'Connor
McDonald
McGovern

I didn't consider shore and tomkins with their injuries,eoin moore if he's injury is serious and Ian Byrne who I've been told is travelling later in the year.I think Shaun Murphy could do a job as a rossiter style corner back,I'd like either Ryan or o'hanlon in the half back line and I wouldn't usually pick lads straight from minor but Rory O'Connor is in his 2nd year at senior club and for me the best minor we've produced sense McDonald plenty of options on the bench aswel if we're lucky with injuries and lads not dropping off the panel

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 26/07/2016 18:10:12    1890571

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I'd be in favour of a change personally,nobody can question dunnes commitment to wexford and his drive for us to succeed but 5 years is a long enough stint at intercounty people like Cody,mikey harte and Sean boylan aren't the norm there some of the best managers in gaa history. Is wins against Clare,Waterford and cork over a 5 year period enough to warrant a reappointment probably not

Looking at next year whoever the manager is its vital we're picking from as strong a squad as possible if we do I there's enough talent there for us to kick on. For example I picked the below team for the start of next years league potentially

Fanning/Ollie o'leary

Kenny
O'hanlon
Shaun Murphy

Ryan
Foley
Jack O'Connor

Redmond
o'keefe

Guiney
Chin
aidan Nolan

Rory O'Connor
McDonald
McGovern

I didn't consider shore and tomkins with their injuries,eoin moore if he's injury is serious and Ian Byrne who I've been told is travelling later in the year.I think Shaun Murphy could do a job as a rossiter style corner back,I'd like either Ryan or o'hanlon in the half back line and I wouldn't usually pick lads straight from minor but Rory O'Connor is in his 2nd year at senior club and for me the best minor we've produced sense McDonald plenty of options on the bench aswel if we're lucky with injuries and lads not dropping off the panel"
Don't know if o'connor done his leaving cert this year or doing it next year that would be a factor aswel

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 26/07/2016 18:15:20    1890576

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I'd be in favour of a change personally,nobody can question dunnes commitment to wexford and his drive for us to succeed but 5 years is a long enough stint at intercounty people like Cody,mikey harte and Sean boylan aren't the norm there some of the best managers in gaa history. Is wins against Clare,Waterford and cork over a 5 year period enough to warrant a reappointment probably not

Fanning/Ollie o'leary

Kenny
O'hanlon
Shaun Murphy

Ryan
Foley
Jack O'Connor

Redmond
o'keefe

Guiney
Chin
aidan Nolan

Rory O'Connor
McDonald
McGovern

I didn't consider shore and tomkins with their injuries,eoin moore if he's injury is serious and Ian Byrne who I've been told is travelling later in the year.I think Shaun Murphy could do a job as a rossiter style corner back,I'd like either Ryan or o'hanlon in the half back line and I wouldn't usually pick lads straight from minor but Rory O'Connor is in his 2nd year at senior club and for me the best minor we've produced sense McDonald plenty of options on the bench aswel if we're lucky with injuries and lads not dropping off the panel"
If we had Shore Chin and Guiney in the half forward line we wouldnt have to bother too much about short puck-outs.

lochgarmanabu (Wexford) - Posts: 1004 - 26/07/2016 18:35:59    1890586

Link