Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To upwexford1996:  "Dunbar out for the league and could miss the championship with a quad tear. Well that's what I was told"
Thanks fr that. that is disspointing. thoughtt this could of been his year to step into the team

youngroryjacob (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 16/05/2021 11:28:06    2342264

Link

Team announced good to see hes got a good number of fringe players starting and still a strongish team on the pitch. Watching the warm up on gaago is there no sound or is my smartphone not being as smart as it should be?!

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 12:39:50    2342287

Link

Coming up to half time and Clare are on top. They seem to be way more accurate than Wexford. They've better forwards. Davy really doesn't have Wexford at the right pitch. Chin wouldn't hit a barn door.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1427 - 16/05/2021 13:24:51    2342304

Link

Poor enough half til the last 5 minutes missed frees hurting us on the scoreboard. How did the 3 extra minutes turn into 5 ?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 13:32:24    2342308

Link

Good intensity to the game though will stand to the newer players. Dunne and Flood showing well.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 13:33:24    2342309

Link

A poor first half. Giving away possession a lot with stupid mistakes. Chin terrible on frees. Only hope is that Tony Kelly has gone off but tbh I'd rather beat them with him on the pitch. An uphill battle awaits us in the second half.

ChinCanHurl (Wexford) - Posts: 77 - 16/05/2021 13:36:50    2342314

Link

Well how exciting that was! Good to win a game again against Clare after the last few years! The running and passing game looks like it is getting back in shape after being poor in the first 3 halves of league action. To win in a game played with good intensity for a league game will surely stand to the fringe players. Ryan was badly missed Shanagher would have had it harder if he had been playing. Flood played well as did David Dunne. Hearne looked very good again when he came on. Chin and ROC looked very good too and seem to be back up to speed after the long break. Liam og came into the game more and more too and Shane Reck had a good game. Thought Donohue played his best game in a Wexford Jersey too. All in all a good result with Ryan, Murphy, Mac, Morris and Damien Reck, 5 regular championship starters, not playing a minute of the game. If only we hadnt missed so many frees !

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 14:37:26    2342329

Link

Replying To ChinCanHurl:  "A poor first half. Giving away possession a lot with stupid mistakes. Chin terrible on frees. Only hope is that Tony Kelly has gone off but tbh I'd rather beat them with him on the pitch. An uphill battle awaits us in the second half."
What a turnaround. I would have echoed a lot of those sentiments, and there was genuine worry that it was "same ole Wexford" as regards our poor conversion rate from frees and general inertia right up to the last quarter.

We were excellent thereafter though. Our second goal was as good a goal as you will see anywhere, the sort that if Pa Horgan finished it, Buff Egan and the likes would be eulogizing for years. In fairness to Dunne too, he is much maligned in here, by myself too, but he had a very good game today and showed great vision for our first goal.

Flood has really stepped up in Foley's absence and seems to be the modern-day wing-back. I was surprised and disappointed that Hearne didn't start but he showed well when he came on and offers more than Nolan in that position. The importance of Ryan was shown in the first half in particular, and pretty much every time Shanagher got on the ball, while Mac's presence alone up front, aside from his threat, was sorely missed as well up until we started throwing everything at Clare.

Chin had a complete off-day from frees but was a constant threat from open play (he is an absolute unit), while what can be said about Rory O that hasn't already been said? The lad is a marvel and the best young hurler in the country.

I'm sure some of Clare's disciples will highlight Kelly going off as the turning point, when we were down more first-choice players. Will be no mention of their dirty slaps on elbows or them rolling around every time they earned a free though.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 676 - 16/05/2021 14:41:58    2342334

Link

Can't believe we won that! Free taking absolutely terrible.

Two great goals to pull off an absolute miracle. Delighted for all involved. Hanlon needs to wake up or be dropped.

Hopefully that will be a big turning point for this team

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 16/05/2021 14:41:59    2342335

Link

2 games, 24 players used all started at least 1 game bar Conor Devitt who came on in both, good to see.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 16/05/2021 14:51:15    2342342

Link

Anyone know is Perfect10 ok?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 15:10:14    2342348

Link

Referee was awful. Game of hurling will be ruined if the game is not allowed to flow

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 16/05/2021 15:29:22    2342356

Link

Replying To Yellow:  "Referee was awful. Game of hurling will be ruined if the game is not allowed to flow"
In fairness to him there were a lot of dirty little fouls being committed also.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 15:56:11    2342368

Link

Very happy Fitz brought on Devitt and Hearne when game was in the melting pot. Hearne especially added a bit of class and creativity

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 16/05/2021 16:22:58    2342382

Link

I have watched our first two games of the league. Delighted with both results. I think we mixed the good, bad and the average in both games. At present we had 3 top class players, ryan, chin, rory.

Positives so far: flood, bailey, hearne and davitt(short cameo) have done really well.the number of players getting game time is excellent and I hope it keeps going that way. Looking forward to see glen malone, Dunbar etc.. at some stage. Apart from the sending off the move that won the game was dok on their number 5.

Wonder would davy consider playing nolan centre back for a game or two?on to kk next weekend and keep giving new lads more game time.
Up wexford

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 621 - 16/05/2021 16:43:26    2342392

Link

My main criticism over the last few years is that not enough lads were being given chances to get meaningful match time in league games. For example Gavin Bailey has been in the panel since Davy took over, yet I think last week was the first game he started.

I'm very pleased that he has shown well so far and I'm pleased that the management are trying some new faces in the league because we badly needed to unearth a few extra reliable performers.

I often said that developing players through the league is more important than winning it.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 16/05/2021 18:22:30    2342454

Link

Replying To 890202:  "My main criticism over the last few years is that not enough lads were being given chances to get meaningful match time in league games. For example Gavin Bailey has been in the panel since Davy took over, yet I think last week was the first game he started.

I'm very pleased that he has shown well so far and I'm pleased that the management are trying some new faces in the league because we badly needed to unearth a few extra reliable performers.

I often said that developing players through the league is more important than winning it."
Be nice to win it too though. It's been a looooong time!

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1951 - 16/05/2021 19:04:25    2342475

Link

Well lads good win today but wouldn't be getting carried away, we were terrible at times in possession and first touch in first half and at times even with the extra man in second half, I wil get the negatives out of the way first, for me ó Hanlon needs a kick in the hole at times and is completely brain dead giving away so stupid frees, being saying it for years about having balls winners and we really struggled in first half and goes how important Mcdonald and chin are to us on winning ball, frees taking a bad day by chin, full back line, being saying it for a long time if Liam Ryan gets injured for us in championship we can forget about it, Joe ó connor had a rough time of it today but can see good potential in him needs 2 or 3 more years of strength and conditioning though, postives, the squad beeing finally used after 5 years finally squad players are getting a run i have being very impressed with conal flood and Gavin bailey, the 2 of them now could be pushing for paudie Foleys place, chin and rory o connor in full flow are a joy to watch, now onto kk next week with hopefully few big names returning aswell, finally I'm going to put me neck on the line and say Kevin Foley is the most underrated hurler in Ireland i think his a class act and a complete hurler

gannett83 (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 16/05/2021 19:48:44    2342505

Link

Massive win today. 8 points down and we dig out a last gap win. Clare will bemoan going down to 14 men for the last 15 minutes but we were down a man for ten minutes with the sin bin.

So many other seasons we would have thrown in the towel. We still have to see Shaun Murphy and Paul Morris too and I look forward to Conor O Mahoney returning.

They will also give out about Kelly being missing but we had Liam Ryan and Conor Mac absent. The team will only succeed when there is competition for places and all the new comers are going very well. It was great to see our half back line on top for periods today which is rare.

Yellow (Wexford) - Posts: 305 - 16/05/2021 20:18:33    2342520

Link

Far from a perfect performance but a really satisfying win in the end, probably the 1 game out the 5 league games I would have liked to win the most given the recent record against the banner, some of Clare's dirty play during the game made it a bit sweeter, crazy pull by Liam Corry for the red card and a reckless pull earlier in the 2nd half, late tackle by Cathal Malone on Rory in the build up to the 2nd goal too just some examples. Taught we deserved the win too we created more and our poor freetaking was a big factor in Clare building up an 8 point lead, they were very economical in fairness to them. Fair play to David Dunne for a lad to gets plenty of criticism myself included but his effort levels can never be questioned and he had a really good outing yesterday,Foley was very good again and Flood has been 1 of the big positives from the 1st 2 games, his role in starting the move for the 2nd goal was brilliant. As Beano mentioned last week Rory's direct running is made for this new sin bin/ penalty rule, last year he might have been wrestled to the ground for the 2nd goal. Hearne was good when introduced has a touch of class about him and for me should start in Nowlan Park next Sunday disappointing he didn't today. I think today showed Liam Ryan is arguably our most important player given the damage Shanagher inflicted, although Reck and Donohoe had very good 2nd halves in an attacking sense we looked under pressure at times. O'Hanlon might be the best alternative at full back in the case of a Ryan absence. I wonder would Joe O'Connor be worth a go at sweeper if Foley sits out a league game, his pace, comfort carrying the ball forward would be suited to the role and would be well able to distribute too, he might not be a natural intercounty full back, only converted there in the 2019 club championship as the Martins seemed to look at it as a problem position prior to that he was mostly a midfielder or half forward. I taught he probably deserved his sin bin but Shanagher went down awful easily, as soon as he felt a bit if contact on his hips he threw himself to the ground, that's 1 concern I'd have of the sin bin/ penalty is lads possibly trying to engineer these scenario's throwing themselves to the ground as equally cynical play such as jersey holding and holding an opponent's hurl doesn't get the same severe punishment. Freetaking was poor but in fairness to Chin he has been very good on frees the last couple of years after having wobbles previously on them in 2018, I'd give him a pass for today but a repeat performance in that aspect next weekend would be a concern. Felt sorry for Mikie Dwyer today in a 2 man full forward line can be a graveyard shift at times and I wouldn't mind him starting again next weekend. I must say if I was a Clare supporter I'd be calling for Conlon to move back to the forwards he had minimal impact on the game today, Aidan McCarthy and Diarmuid Ryan were very good for them.

So far of the 24 players used 5 have started and finished both games ( O'Keeffe, Donohoe, Flood, Bailey and Foley) while Dunne has played 65-70 mins in both. Mikie Dwyer played 55 mins or so last week and 45 or so today, while Shane Reck got the full game today and 45 mins or so last week after his brother got injured. I'd be happy enough for O'Keeffe to be on the bench next week with Hearne starting in midfield. If he's fit enough to be involved I'd like to see Glen Malone get as least 20 mins next week maybe even start although that would likely come at the expense of Bailey or Flood. According to Davy in his interview with Spratt we've 8 injuries at the moment, think Dunbar and Conor Mahoney and out for the entire league while I don't know the status of the remaining 6 ( Conor Mac, Ryan, Morris, Murphy, Damien Reck and Ross Donohoe)

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 17/05/2021 01:52:21    2342626

Link