Wicklow Forum

New Rules 2016

(Oldest Posts First)

How do people see the new rules regarding players impacting clubs going forward? One of these new rules states that 17 year olds can no longer play adult football/hurling for their club. This will probably not impact the bigger clubs with the larger populations but I imagine it will be more of a problem for the smaller clubs who are struggling for numbers as it is. Clubs will now no longer be unable to field players until they are 18 years of age. Will clubs comply with this rule? I cannot see how a lot of clubs will be able to field a Junior team if this is complied with. I know that a lot of the teams in the division 4 league struggled to field teams last year, they will now have no new blood this year so how can they be expected to field teams?

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 123 - 13/11/2015 10:58:10    1806992

Link

Agree 100% with proposal. Up to now the majority of our young players have been propping up adult teams for far too long. The better of these 17 year old usually play minor county minor , junior or adult teams. If they are dual players same applies with other code. If a club can't field a team without juvenile players zed they should go and amalgamate with another club. We cannot be using our juvenile players to prop up an adult team. A young player will never say no to playing if he is asked. It is no use having our young players burnt out by the time they reach 25.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 159 - 15/11/2015 14:43:34    1807394

Link