(Oldest Posts First)

Laios v Wicklow (v Dublin)
Louth v Carlow (v Meath)

Longford v Offaly (v Westmeath)
Wexford v Kildare

Looks like
Dublin/Meath , semi final 1
Westmeath/KE , semi final 2

Pat Spillane starting a campaign to have Dublin v Wicklow in Aughrim , if that fixture arises.
Would be a great way to fill the new stand !!!!!!!!!

Goldfinger0007 (Wicklow) - Posts: 66 - 15/10/2015 21:18:17    1799167

Link

I can see that match in Croke Park. The Johnny McGee factor. Will be huge interest in the tie, particularly in Dublin and Wicklow. Unfortunately only see one winner. At this stage, a good performance is all that could be asked for. There was talk of a match in Nowlan Park as it is the only venue outside Croke Park been able to accommodate Dublin.
Wouldn't it be great to see Wicklow bringing the Dubs to Nowlan Park. I know it would be nice to play in Croker but to get the Dubs outa Croker would be great

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2845 - 15/10/2015 21:58:48    1799204

Link

If any body needs any further evidence of the need for a B championship, that draw is the clincher.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2718 - 16/10/2015 09:29:06    1799248

Link

The problem current sponger would be - how many would be in the A championship and how many would be in the B championship?

The leinster championship is a bore, just look at last year's Leinster final (in fact, look at the last 5 Leinster finals) - Dublin are miles ahead, Kildare, Meath and Laois are next (none of them world beaters) and then there is the rest including ourselves who are gone after 1-2 games depending on how favourable a draw you get. Having said that, the only province with any competition is Ulster and it isn't easy on the eye - Munster has 2 teams well ahead of the rest (Kerry and Cork) while in the West, Mayo are a bit ahead having won 5 provincial championship in a row.

I think the GAA needs to come up with a meaningful competition that will provide games that aren't a forgone conclusion - looking at the way they do the draw, it is hard to see some of the provincial councils allow that as each one controls their own draw/province. Also, Dublin's games in Croke Park provide the Leinster council with huge cash revenues so I can't see them taking Dublin matches out of Croke Park in the short term.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1294 - 16/10/2015 11:10:53    1799316

Link

I would have 16 teams in A and 16 in B. 4 groups of 4. Have some form of relegation / promotion built in.

Provincial champos are dead.

Personally I am sick of hoping for some kind of favourable draw in the qualifiers etc.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2718 - 16/10/2015 12:04:17    1799358

Link

I wouldnt get too worked up about playing Dublin whether it is in Croke Park, Nowlan Park are any other park for that matter as I cant see Wicklow beating Laois in the first instance. I hope they do and they did run Meath close last year in Navan but it looks unlikely. There are realistically only 4 -6 teams that can win the All Ireland and the rest are just out there playing for some other reason. The GAA championships are at this stage both boring and preditable with the overall standard of games in both hurling and football this year being poor. You could easily predict the 4 provincial winners now and next years championship hasnt even begun.
A real overhaul of the structures and games at County level is needed and whether that is an A & B Championships then go with it as all I can see for next year is more of the same old dross that was visible this year.

Mufasa (Wicklow) - Posts: 35 - 16/10/2015 14:42:46    1799456

Link

Instead of rehashing well-trotted out points and stating the obvious Mufasa, why not outline what changes you'd make to the current system? From reading your posts, I'm surprised you have any interest in GAA as you're so negative about the games. Last week you called on all 'old lads' to hang up their boots and give young players a chance! I'm still waiting for you to tell us what age you must be to be considered 'an old lad'.

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 16/10/2015 17:06:41    1799510

Link

You must have little to be doing if you are waiting around all week for me to define what an auld lad is. Look the standard of GAA football & hurling is bad at the moment. The 2 All Ireland Finals were poor & the 2 County Finals in Wicklow were bad aswell. Fair play to the winners and when games are good i'll call it that way but at the moment players are below par, the standard of games is also bad and I can't see any great prospects for Wicklow in next years championship either. I hate to rain on your little parade but you need to get your head out of the sand and wake up to that reality.

Mufasa (Wicklow) - Posts: 35 - 19/10/2015 09:30:15    1799986

Link

Unfortunately, the standard of club football in Wicklow is only average at the moment. Long gone are the days when Baltinglass and Rathnew were among the top dogs in Leinster - Rathnew are currently 150/1 to win the Leinster club title which gives a fair indication of where the county is in the pecking order in the province - even at club level. The solution, improve the standards across the board, at club level, underage and ultimately at senior intercounty level - there is no easy solution and it will involve hard work at grass roots level. I know that there are people who are putting in the hard work at club level but it will require a great contribution from everyone to reverse the fortunes especially now that a huge number of youngsters are turning to play rugby which has a high profile.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1294 - 19/10/2015 12:00:34    1800083

Link

@Mufasa Who's got their head in the sand? We all know how poor the standard in the county is. It's been well-documented and talked about here for years ad nauseam. Your derivative posts are adding nothing new to the debate.
Clearly I have little to be doing alright so indulge me. You claimed last week that the amount of 'old lads' playing the county was detrimentally affecting us and that these players should hang up their boots. Time to man up and stand over your comments.

Simple question: How old is an 'old lad'?

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 19/10/2015 15:30:20    1800251

Link

If it is such a simple question I am sure you could answer it yourself instead of hanging around waiting for me to spoon feed. Take an educated guess and see what you come up with. I am sure you are able to do that.

Mufasa (Wicklow) - Posts: 35 - 21/10/2015 12:33:49    1800907

Link

Yep, that's what I thought.

For future reference, maybe spend a little less time blaming others for not being able to get your game and look a bit closer to home.

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 22/10/2015 17:42:44    1801340

Link