Wicklow Forum

Wicklow v Wexford Junior Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Homer Jay

You make some interesting points but I cannot see how they would be put in place.

You have been talking about Croke park taking over the running of Wicklow GAA for some time now.

Can you tell me. Is there a rule to cover such an eventuality?
Do you think Croke Park would even think about such a move??
What are the key areas that need to be sorted. Is it the whole county board that needs to be cleared out including management team and club delegates who vote these people in to run the county?? Or is there something else??
What is your honest assessment of where we need to go and how we will get there.??

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 22/05/2015 15:09:26    1727119

Link

I genuinely believe it'd help as we couldn't be any worse off.
Financially, performace and structure should be our markers.

Some thoughts -

Clubs (as a whole)
Mainly in debt- good facilities
not putting structure into underage
shocking attendance records at county boards meetings
hammerings in club championships
nobody goes to games anymore

County Teams
Ballimakill is excellent long term
current void in structure and quality
no vision or leadership from top table
poor support

County Board
struggling financially
shocking fixtures (start in february and still going on at christmas!!)
shocking discipline records
making clubs do the fundraising with this 50 draw
same faces = same results
abysmal record trying to amalgamste teams
co board members looking after thier own
very few good neutral people there who havwen't been tarnished
sat back when Micko was here & wasted massive monbey when we have impetus and opportunity
awful choices for some neutral venues for championship games (50-60 people in aughrim for double headers)

HomerJay (Wicklow) - Posts: 369 - 22/05/2015 15:32:35    1727136

Link

Some of the weaker counties are permitted by Central council to play their second best team. I thought that applied to us and lads that weren't currently on the senior county team but I stand corrected IF I'm wrong. The fact that you and any club manager thinks he is doing a great job is frightening! Isn't he a great man for letting them play for their clubs. That might help you forget about losing to London and finishing as the weakest team on the island, Rock bottom of 32 counties!! Sure his doing a great job!!! I've heard the Dublin spin doctors before, I've worked there all my life and know them better than most. Foran and O Leary said the same about the useless culchies down in Wicklow. They're light years behind Dublin, Kerry, Cork Mayo etc. but remember this, we don't compete against those teams and can go years without playing a competitive game against any of them. Our rivals are the Waterfords, Longfords,Antrims and Sligos so I don't buy into excuse to comparisons against teams we don't play when teams we used to beat are now beating us.

He has them training like mad and the set up is great! Why are people not answering the call to play under him? lads dropping off every two minutes and if you think that's down to bad attitudes by players remember "attitude reflects leadership".

You might believe everything you read in the Wicklow people but I live in the real world, after talking to the experienced players, one thing I can promise if he stays on is if you thought this year was bad wait till you see next year!!

thelastgael (Wicklow) - Posts: 322 - 22/05/2015 16:51:04    1727187

Link

thelastgael you cant possibly blame Magee for all our problems. You seem to know a lot about Wicklow football, so what solutions would you offer? What players would you have on the team who are currently not involved? How would you train them differently? What team would you name?
It is very easy to come on here and criticise the manager without offering any alternatives to all these problems you list.

canas (Wicklow) - Posts: 131 - 22/05/2015 17:38:12    1727209

Link

Magee is to blame for a lot of the reasons why we have done so bad in senior and junior this year. Look at the number of players on the senior football panel playing soccer for pub teams week in week out. How can this be let happen I dont know. Look at this weeks Wicklow People and see the number of payers playing soccer and doing it again next Sunday

Does anyone think any of the Meath team will b e paying soccer in between training for the championship?

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 343 - 22/05/2015 20:28:53    1727265

Link

Pat Mustard name the players playing soccer & I will tell you if they are on the current panel or not! To blame Magee is a joke! He is just an easy target because he has a bit of a profile!

Lastgael you haven't a clue there is no point even responding to you as you have a big chip on your shoulder about the Dubs.

Wicklowfan1 (Wicklow) - Posts: 46 - 23/05/2015 11:44:01    1727326

Link

I've no real problems with Magee, it was his first year and he's trying to look at players in the league, He last few matches in the league we had nothing to lose so he tried out new things and players didn't give 110% which isn't an excuse but it happens. We're in transition things arn't going to be good for this year and maybe next but hopefully the likes of Mcgraynor and Hayden step up as leaders of the tea like the lads they had played with in recent years. Our 21s weren't great this year and I wouldn't be mad on calling any of them up at the moment but we'd some strong players on this years minor team that could come through, hopefully they out in a management team they respect at 21s level next year so the best players will play (I'm in no way saying they didn't respect DNiels this year, from what I heard they said the setup was incredibly professional) a lot of things went wrong that night in Longford, who were very strong to be fair. My hope is that we can compete with Meath for as long as possible and come out of there with a bit of respect and some confidence for the Qualifiers

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 456 - 23/05/2015 12:08:09    1727334

Link

It is hard for the players to commit when there is no support from their county board. Players been asked to travel from all over Wicklow to Ballinakill 3/4 times a week and they can't even get their expenses. Can someone explain that? Correct me if I'm wrong but each county are alotted certain expenses to be distributed amongs the players pending the attendance and distance travelled of each.

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 23/05/2015 12:28:51    1727340

Link

Your right neutralfan, I've heard of underage management teams not been given expenses, for the likes of Dunlavin, Blessington, Baltinglass it puts a huge hole in the wallet if your driving there and back over the Mountains 3/4 times a week

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 456 - 23/05/2015 12:43:58    1727344

Link

Where's the money going? Surely it cannot be a massive ordeal to distribute expenses?

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 204 - 24/05/2015 18:38:14    1727774

Link

I believe arrangements were made for Dublin based players to attend the gym sessions up there, which would seem to make a lot of sense and would certainly save players time and expense in travelling. Players were made to pay their own gym membership in the selected gym though. How can the county board think it's ok to forego basics like expenses for players, when it'll be costing some lads hundreds every month just to get to and from training? How do you expect players to give their all when they're not being looked after in the most basic of terms?

anon (None) - Posts: 337 - 25/05/2015 13:58:58    1728123

Link

anon & Victorious

I am not doubting you as you must have an inside track? Are you players or panel members?

I find it very hard to believe that the players are not getting their legitimate expenses as they are governed by agreement with the GPA. So my question is/ If the players are not getting exactly what is agreed then why have their GPA reps done nothing about it??

No_Drama (Wicklow) - Posts: 509 - 26/05/2015 14:50:30    1728642

Link

I'm not a panel member, No_Drama, but I would be in fairly regular contact with a few of the lads. Admittedly the last time I spoke to any of them about it was a few weeks ago but the county board were way behind with payments then, with some of the players receiving no payment yet this year. As far as I'm aware the last expenses payment from last year wasn't paid to any panel members at all despite numerous follow ups from players. I have no idea why the GPA reps haven't demanded them but certainly one or two of the players I was speaking to a few weeks back were very unhappy with the situation.

anon (None) - Posts: 337 - 26/05/2015 15:37:23    1728684

Link

How can any county expect players to perform and be fully committed to training if basic things such as payment of expenses are not being carried out? Surely, it isn't a big job to organize payment of expenses to 30 players on a panel. The whole sorry saga on the face of it is becoming worst by the day.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1289 - 27/05/2015 08:58:18    1728900

Link