Wicklow Forum

County Football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I listened to most of the recent podcast featuring Davy Burke. I was happy to hear him comment that he views Wicklow as a Division 3 team and that he wouldn't fear any of the teams we will face in the Division 3 campaign. He is aiming to win all three of their home games which is the key to staying in the Division. He expanded on the S&C and he is aware that in terms of strength and conditioning that Wicklow are in the early stages of this process and that it will take about 3 years for the players to caught up. He also said that it was this lack of strength and conditioning plus fatigue that cost us the game against Meath. I am encouraged that Davy is enjoying his time in Wicklow and has no intentions of moving on. It is vital that he stays and completes his three years minimum and that the players commit to what needs to be done. Continuity in terms of management and players is important if we are to bridge the game between the bottom two divisions and the top 2."
Agree that it is vital to Wicklow that he stays the three years. Interesting what jack o connor does in kildare as they certainly weren't happy with their result yesterday.
In relation to ourselves besides the S&C concern we definitely need an influx of new players to strengthen up our panel. That is being in no way disrespectful to the players there at the moment but going forward we need at least a minimum of 5 plus players to boost what's already there.
Question is can Davey source that amount of players or would the appetite be there amongst players to now commit to playing.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 153 - 16/11/2020 11:45:07    2309925

Link

Replying To 61123:  "Agree that it is vital to Wicklow that he stays the three years. Interesting what jack o connor does in kildare as they certainly weren't happy with their result yesterday.
In relation to ourselves besides the S&C concern we definitely need an influx of new players to strengthen up our panel. That is being in no way disrespectful to the players there at the moment but going forward we need at least a minimum of 5 plus players to boost what's already there.
Question is can Davey source that amount of players or would the appetite be there amongst players to now commit to playing."
The points you raise are valid 61123. In relation to Kildare, there has to be question marks about some of their players, they have some really talented players in the county but there are serious questions about their capacity to deliver on days like yesterday. Jack O'Connor was brought in to help deliver on that talent but I would question his ability to setup a team when required which is so prevalent in today's game. In relation to us needing more players, I think your observation is spot on, some of the current players need further development which I think Davy can help them with. Also, we need to strengthen the depth of the squad, so he can bring on in a match especially when you have to play games week on week like in the league. I don't believe that you will get every player that you want to commit, as the level of commitment is so high and every players has unique circumstances, this is why it is so important that we continue to develop good young players to help bridge the gap when some others are unwilling to commit. I think Wicklow have a very committed group of players currently and this should not be under estimated in a county where we have a history of players not always showing the required levels of commitment to the cause. There is an opportunity for us to make progress, we have a long way to go but the good news is that there are a lot of counties at the same level especially across Division 3 and 4 so we can frog leap a number of counties in a short space of time as we have proven this year. Bridging the gap to Division 2 will take a lot of effort and will require a long period of sustained hard work at all levels including at club level and within development squads.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1179 - 16/11/2020 12:23:48    2309977

Link

I see that Wicklow are up to 23rd in the last football rankings which indicates that we are going in the right direction and have something to build on in 2021. The objective now should be staying in Division 3 and trying to get into the promotion race as oppose to trying to avoid relegation.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1179 - 20/11/2020 14:49:45    2311716

Link

What additional players would posters see as strengthening the panel as we prepare for division 3.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 67 - 21/11/2020 01:31:27    2311911

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "What additional players would posters see as strengthening the panel as we prepare for division 3."
There is an absolutely stand out Wicklow man not involved in the panel from the Ashford club, Thomas Kearns. He has been operating this year arguably at a higher level than any other player we have. He has been ever present at half back for John Mitchells, IT Tralee and St Brendans in Kerry this year.

I have taken it that the man has decided to stay in Kerry during the current pandemic. Davy Burke had mentioned him in an interview earlier in the year, worryingly he wrongfully claimed he was "playing Midfield for East Kerry".

Given our managements Kerry connections I pray we see him in a Wicklow jersey next year for the league campaign. It was surreal watching a Wicklow man playing in the Kerry senior championship this year and not having him feature for us at all.

JohnnyBlaze (Wicklow) - Posts: 44 - 21/11/2020 11:55:43    2311965

Link

Seems as Meath have done it again, or are the Dubs really that good? It's one thing rattling 7 goals and sack full of points against us and 5 plus many points past Kildare but 2pts in 35 minutes ?? Or, are we that bad ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 272 - 21/11/2020 20:02:28    2312221

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Seems as Meath have done it again, or are the Dubs really that good? It's one thing rattling 7 goals and sack full of points against us and 5 plus many points past Kildare but 2pts in 35 minutes ?? Or, are we that bad ??"
No we are not that bad. Meath were equally as bad in the 1st half v Kildare as they were tonight. In relation to us we gave up in the 2nd half. Anyway at least we have something to look forward to next year.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 153 - 21/11/2020 20:54:25    2312267

Link

Isn't it mind-boggling when we see how many "weaker:" counties voted against a two tier championship when we see how Meath were annihilated by Dublin tonight.
It has now evolved that there are only about 7 or 8 teams capable of winning Sam with Dublin way out in front. They are a joy to watch and yet humble in their achievements. Their intensity,composure,physical fitness and skill levels can only be admired.
I know and see by the Meath forum that supporters are hurting and calling for managements and county boards heads etc but they must appreciate that no matter what strategy and kickouts are deployed Dublin will have an answer .Players always give their all and it is very unfair for supporters to criticise and slate players . They dont appreciate the hard graft and commitment that has to be given . It is easy to criticise but they are not thr ones on the pitch
.Despite the huge changeover in personell, management included the blue wave continues. They are whether we like it or not perhaps the greatest team of all time.
Counties, especially in Leinster will now see it as fruitless taking part in a championship which has no meaning, facing annihilation just as Meath suffered tonight. Maybe it is time to change the provincial championship.
The league will be the only target for most teams now and Dublin will only use div.1 as a blooding ground for new players.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 67 - 22/11/2020 02:07:12    2312459

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Isn't it mind-boggling when we see how many "weaker:" counties voted against a two tier championship when we see how Meath were annihilated by Dublin tonight.
It has now evolved that there are only about 7 or 8 teams capable of winning Sam with Dublin way out in front. They are a joy to watch and yet humble in their achievements. Their intensity,composure,physical fitness and skill levels can only be admired.
I know and see by the Meath forum that supporters are hurting and calling for managements and county boards heads etc but they must appreciate that no matter what strategy and kickouts are deployed Dublin will have an answer .Players always give their all and it is very unfair for supporters to criticise and slate players . They dont appreciate the hard graft and commitment that has to be given . It is easy to criticise but they are not thr ones on the pitch
.Despite the huge changeover in personell, management included the blue wave continues. They are whether we like it or not perhaps the greatest team of all time.
Counties, especially in Leinster will now see it as fruitless taking part in a championship which has no meaning, facing annihilation just as Meath suffered tonight. Maybe it is time to change the provincial championship.
The league will be the only target for most teams now and Dublin will only use div.1 as a blooding ground for new players."
The gap that has opened between Dublin and the rest of Leinster is frightening. Fair play to the Dubs and congrats on their 10 Leinster in a row. To me, this is a problem for Leinster Council or Croke Park to take the lead on. Number 1, Dublin have an undoubted advantage in the sheer numbers of athletes they can pick from. But, as Leitrim have continually shown, numbers don't count for everything. Number 2 is the sheer amount of money going into coaching at all levels in Dublin. In case I get jumped on here, great credit also must go to all those club coaches in Dublin who give of their time voluntarily, as is the case in all counties. Other counties just can't obtain those levels of funding, or anything like them except for a handful like Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and surprisingly, some of the Northern counties and if, in the case of a county like ours who don't have a great record of winning anything, it is even harder to get businesses to invest. A hearty shout of congrats too to Cavan and Tipp for their great success's yesterday. No prizes for guessing where the most excitement was generated the last few days. I can't imagine too many Dub supporters getting excited over their weekend success.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 272 - 23/11/2020 17:40:21    2314159

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "The gap that has opened between Dublin and the rest of Leinster is frightening. Fair play to the Dubs and congrats on their 10 Leinster in a row. To me, this is a problem for Leinster Council or Croke Park to take the lead on. Number 1, Dublin have an undoubted advantage in the sheer numbers of athletes they can pick from. But, as Leitrim have continually shown, numbers don't count for everything. Number 2 is the sheer amount of money going into coaching at all levels in Dublin. In case I get jumped on here, great credit also must go to all those club coaches in Dublin who give of their time voluntarily, as is the case in all counties. Other counties just can't obtain those levels of funding, or anything like them except for a handful like Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and surprisingly, some of the Northern counties and if, in the case of a county like ours who don't have a great record of winning anything, it is even harder to get businesses to invest. A hearty shout of congrats too to Cavan and Tipp for their great success's yesterday. No prizes for guessing where the most excitement was generated the last few days. I can't imagine too many Dub supporters getting excited over their weekend success."
You mentioned Tipp there. They have to compete in a county where hurling is number 1 sport. They only have a limited number of footballing clubs, that doesn't stop them trying to achieve their goal of winning a Munster final. The point I am trying to make here is this. Accept that Dublin are miles ahead of everyone else in Leinster. Let's focus on what we can do as a county to improve our own lot. If Dublin are getting above their share of funding let our County board pursue that Avenue, but for me if we cant get our own house in order we have no right to go shouting about someone else's success. If business people see us getting something right I am sure they would come on board with financial backing. We have now a current crop of younger players, an enthusiastic young manager. Let us try and do a Tipp and Cavan. Cavan invested heavily in their development squads down through the years and it is no coincidence that they are now paying dividends. Who honestly would have predicted a double of Tipp and Cavan. Forget about Dublin and concentrate on our own county.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 153 - 23/11/2020 18:22:50    2314177

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "The gap that has opened between Dublin and the rest of Leinster is frightening. Fair play to the Dubs and congrats on their 10 Leinster in a row. To me, this is a problem for Leinster Council or Croke Park to take the lead on. Number 1, Dublin have an undoubted advantage in the sheer numbers of athletes they can pick from. But, as Leitrim have continually shown, numbers don't count for everything. Number 2 is the sheer amount of money going into coaching at all levels in Dublin. In case I get jumped on here, great credit also must go to all those club coaches in Dublin who give of their time voluntarily, as is the case in all counties. Other counties just can't obtain those levels of funding, or anything like them except for a handful like Kerry, Mayo, Donegal and surprisingly, some of the Northern counties and if, in the case of a county like ours who don't have a great record of winning anything, it is even harder to get businesses to invest. A hearty shout of congrats too to Cavan and Tipp for their great success's yesterday. No prizes for guessing where the most excitement was generated the last few days. I can't imagine too many Dub supporters getting excited over their weekend success."
You mentioned Tipp there. They have to compete in a county where hurling is number 1 sport. They only have a limited number of footballing clubs, that doesn't stop them trying to achieve their goal of winning a Munster final. The point I am trying to make here is this. Accept that Dublin are miles ahead of everyone else in Leinster. Let's focus on what we can do as a county to improve our own lot. If Dublin are getting above their share of funding let our County board pursue that Avenue, but for me if we cant get our own house in order we have no right to go shouting about someone else's success. If business people see us getting something right I am sure they would come on board with financial backing. We have now a current crop of younger players, an enthusiastic young manager. Let us try and do a Tipp and Cavan. Cavan invested heavily in their development squads down through the years and it is no coincidence that they are now paying dividends. Who honestly would have predicted a double of Tipp and Cavan. Forget about Dublin and concentrate on our own county.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 153 - 23/11/2020 18:23:00    2314178

Link

Replying To 61123:  "You mentioned Tipp there. They have to compete in a county where hurling is number 1 sport. They only have a limited number of footballing clubs, that doesn't stop them trying to achieve their goal of winning a Munster final. The point I am trying to make here is this. Accept that Dublin are miles ahead of everyone else in Leinster. Let's focus on what we can do as a county to improve our own lot. If Dublin are getting above their share of funding let our County board pursue that Avenue, but for me if we cant get our own house in order we have no right to go shouting about someone else's success. If business people see us getting something right I am sure they would come on board with financial backing. We have now a current crop of younger players, an enthusiastic young manager. Let us try and do a Tipp and Cavan. Cavan invested heavily in their development squads down through the years and it is no coincidence that they are now paying dividends. Who honestly would have predicted a double of Tipp and Cavan. Forget about Dublin and concentrate on our own county."
I actually think Tipp have more football clubs than hurling clubs..... but hurling is definitely the most popular.

minor93 (Wicklow) - Posts: 57 - 23/11/2020 19:58:32    2314246

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Seems as Meath have done it again, or are the Dubs really that good? It's one thing rattling 7 goals and sack full of points against us and 5 plus many points past Kildare but 2pts in 35 minutes ?? Or, are we that bad ??"
It depends on who you are comparing us with? If you are comparing us with Dublin then yes, we are light years behind but then so are 85% of counties in Ireland. If you are comparing us with the rest of Leinster then we are behind but to a much lesser degree. The whole issue around Dublin being so far ahead of the rest of the teams in Leinster is a side matter which is quite complex. From a Wicklow perspective, we need to concentrate on maintaining our status in Division 3 and ensuring that we don't go back to Division 4. The task of staying in Division 3 has become a bit more difficult after the weekend as we now have two provisional winners (Munster and Ulster) in our division and these two counties will be favourites for promotion from Division 3. Also, we need to focus on underage development and strength/conditioning, this is what a lot of the more successful counties have been doing for some time so we are playing catch up. Without stating the obvious, bringing through good, well conditioned young players is the key to success. We need to keep going.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1179 - 24/11/2020 13:02:06    2314627

Link

I agree totally with the other posters about the importance of staying in division 3 and bringing on more of our last 3 year minors players who have showed that with the proper preparation and management we can hold our own with the Dublin Kildares and Meath teams. Success isn't going
to be achieved overnight but the last few years have shown a marked improvement at underage instead of being beaten out the gate. This needs to continue until senior management can put a strong squad together . Clubs have a huge responsibility here in the quality of their coaching and encouraging their players to play for their county.I feel that we are now at a critical point in the development of Wicklow football. We have a good senior management team in place.The underage structures seem to be producing more skillful and fitter players. This needs to continue and we need to have patience. Success as they say breeds success.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 67 - 24/11/2020 17:53:40    2314836

Link