Wicklow Forum

Hurling Championships 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Luckyboy:  "Bray were very good and should now do a 3 in a row. Carnew were very poor and are probably the fourth of fifth place team in the county. Once Greystones beat Glenealy there was only ever going to be one winner. Hurling in Wicklow has changed for the foreseeable future. Bray senior. North district minor, Kilcoole should win inter.
The traditional clubs of Glenealy and Carnew is well and truly gone.
Well done Bray"
While I agree with you Luckyboy as regards Brays undoubted talent and hurling ability, and that they are likely to win at least another title next year, I would advise caution as regards the forecasting the demise of the Traditional clubs. Tradition is something that can't be bought or invented. It is what it says on the tin. I was delighted to see NW Gaels win the minor title yesterday, but it is a big step to get to senior and be a threat at senior level. I think that the expected inter final of Kilcoole and Carnew might go the way of experience and Carnew have that in spades. Kilcoole have a very good set of brothers back boning them and are very fit but after that ?? And will that be enough for Carnews experience ? Greystones are almost there but that last step is massive and can they do it ?? What age are their key men ? Bray disposed of them pretty comfortably and it is hard to see Greystones closing that gap in the next few years. Perhaps you will be proven right, but isn't that what keeps us fans interested and guessing year in year out.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 273 - 28/09/2020 23:41:46    2294668

Link

Replying To Luckyboy:  "Bray were very good and should now do a 3 in a row. Carnew were very poor and are probably the fourth of fifth place team in the county. Once Greystones beat Glenealy there was only ever going to be one winner. Hurling in Wicklow has changed for the foreseeable future. Bray senior. North district minor, Kilcoole should win inter.
The traditional clubs of Glenealy and Carnew is well and truly gone.
Well done Bray"
With the infrastructure and player pool that Bray Emmets have, it'll become increasingly difficult for the likes of Glenealy etc to compete with them.
The gap will only widen in the coming years, especially now that Fergal Ógs is gone, they have the entire town in their back pocket. Im not sure thats a good thing for Wicklow hurling though.

WicklowGael87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 7 - 02/10/2020 20:36:25    2295372

Link

Bray Emmetts has invested huge resourses and energy in developing their hurling. Playing in dublin competitions is a big help. Good luck and congratulations to everyone. Bray should dominate for a few years but no way is glenealy carnew or any of the others going to give anything easy.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 272 - 24/10/2020 14:39:18    2300743

Link