Wicklow Forum

Louth on Sunday

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To dubarra:  "Well said at least someone on here has a bit of vision and common sense. Then sure as hell some knocker comes on and ridicules your ideas straight away it's no wonder we are where we are and have been for so long."
Exactly , Well said Whocares! Those pointing fingers at Magee & Current Management team are completely missing the point of where our problems lie. We could get Jim Gavin in and it would make little difference to our on the field performance. Our problems in Wicklow entirely lie with how GAA has been administered & governed in the County over the last number of decades. Every one of those players to a man that played last Sunday gave everything they had for Wicklow and every one of those players could legitimately turn around and point the finger at the County Board and say "you have failed me as a footballer" Failed to provide me with proper development & coaching during formative juvenile years, failed to provide a proper schedule of competitive well- structured club matches, failed to provide adequate training, preparation & recovery facilities, failed to provide a GAA environment within which playing for Wicklow is something that is respected, rewarding & fulfilling (as it is in other counties) and which justifies the immense commitment that it takes to be a modern county footballer.
There was a report a few weeks back on this website, which got very little coverage, of the Leinster Council taking action against Wicklow County Board for not having proper planning & development plans in place. This is a positive sign and I only hope this is the start of GAA top brass taking a closer look at the GAA administration shambles that continues in Wicklow with a view to taking some direct action to address it.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 65 - 24/05/2017 12:15:41    1990197

Link

Replying To Hawkeye2:  "Exactly , Well said Whocares! Those pointing fingers at Magee & Current Management team are completely missing the point of where our problems lie. We could get Jim Gavin in and it would make little difference to our on the field performance. Our problems in Wicklow entirely lie with how GAA has been administered & governed in the County over the last number of decades. Every one of those players to a man that played last Sunday gave everything they had for Wicklow and every one of those players could legitimately turn around and point the finger at the County Board and say "you have failed me as a footballer" Failed to provide me with proper development & coaching during formative juvenile years, failed to provide a proper schedule of competitive well- structured club matches, failed to provide adequate training, preparation & recovery facilities, failed to provide a GAA environment within which playing for Wicklow is something that is respected, rewarding & fulfilling (as it is in other counties) and which justifies the immense commitment that it takes to be a modern county footballer.
There was a report a few weeks back on this website, which got very little coverage, of the Leinster Council taking action against Wicklow County Board for not having proper planning & development plans in place. This is a positive sign and I only hope this is the start of GAA top brass taking a closer look at the GAA administration shambles that continues in Wicklow with a view to taking some direct action to address it."
Actually you're missing the point.
The CB are at nothing and long term they are the problem. Agreed, no arguments there.

However, current management is meant to manage the current set up. They did not do that. Long term CB and it's systems are to blame and to be focused upon but our current management are incompetent. They are responsible for their incompetence. Simple as that.

I will indeed allow criticism of CB if you're suggesting they are a disgrace for putting the current management in place.

How can anyone get an intercounty job without any experience whatsoever? How can they allow themselves apply and how can anyone take them on?

wicklu (Wicklow) - Posts: 331 - 24/05/2017 16:39:46    1990331

Link

Replying To wicklu:  "Actually you're missing the point.
The CB are at nothing and long term they are the problem. Agreed, no arguments there.

However, current management is meant to manage the current set up. They did not do that. Long term CB and it's systems are to blame and to be focused upon but our current management are incompetent. They are responsible for their incompetence. Simple as that.

I will indeed allow criticism of CB if you're suggesting they are a disgrace for putting the current management in place.

How can anyone get an intercounty job without any experience whatsoever? How can they allow themselves apply and how can anyone take them on?"
Can you provide examples of where the current management are incompetent? I am no apologist for Magee and would question a number of team selections during the league and again last Sunday but I think a lot of the criticism is criticism just for the sake of it. There are plenty of examples of intercounty managers with no previous experience. Kieran McGeeney went straight into Kildare when he retired. Jason Ryan went into Wexford while still playing football himself. As far as playing experience Magee played in Dublin teams that routinely contested Leinster Finals and All-Ireland Quarters/Semis and won County , Leinster and All Ireland club titles with Kilmacud. We would not have a single internal candidate in Wicklow who could match that level of experience so we can hardly cite experience as being the issue. If we could list all the problems that currently exist in Wicklow GAA right now in order of priority, I wouldn't have senior football management anywhere near the top. Doesn't matter who the management is in the immediate term as it will make little difference until we solve the other fundamental issues which hold us back.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 65 - 24/05/2017 17:25:58    1990355

Link

Replying To Hawkeye2:  "Can you provide examples of where the current management are incompetent? I am no apologist for Magee and would question a number of team selections during the league and again last Sunday but I think a lot of the criticism is criticism just for the sake of it. There are plenty of examples of intercounty managers with no previous experience. Kieran McGeeney went straight into Kildare when he retired. Jason Ryan went into Wexford while still playing football himself. As far as playing experience Magee played in Dublin teams that routinely contested Leinster Finals and All-Ireland Quarters/Semis and won County , Leinster and All Ireland club titles with Kilmacud. We would not have a single internal candidate in Wicklow who could match that level of experience so we can hardly cite experience as being the issue. If we could list all the problems that currently exist in Wicklow GAA right now in order of priority, I wouldn't have senior football management anywhere near the top. Doesn't matter who the management is in the immediate term as it will make little difference until we solve the other fundamental issues which hold us back."
Please first of all understand that playing experience means nothing in terms of football management. So yes he had all the above in terms of playing but almost none of playing experience transfers to management experience.

Same with teachers becoming principals. None of it is transferrable. Team management is just that... Management. It requires managerial skills. Communication, relationship building skills, planning and organisation, vision and ambition and others. Playing midfield for a decent team ticks NONE of those boxes

Yes I could provide examples of what you ask.

wicklu (Wicklow) - Posts: 331 - 24/05/2017 18:35:55    1990390

Link

Hurlingnut, if you read my previous message I, at no stage said that there were young, enthusiastic people already running Clubs within the County. I said that is what we need to run the County and judging by comments made after I said it I think people also agree. We need business men that can turn things around, that have knowledge, that have the guile and understanding. If we keep going with what we have and as we are we will not change and get any better !!!

Whocares (Wicklow) - Posts: 229 - 26/05/2017 14:38:35    1991026

Link

Can anyone shed more light on why two players who were due to start a championship match only notified the management/their team-mates that they would not be playing as they were heading to America for the summer only days before the game? No doubt there are two sides to every story but the optics of this seem dreadful. I would be the last to begrudge any young person the who has chosen to spend their summer travelling but to only inform your manager and colleagues of this days before a crucial game shows breathtaking disrespect. Could these lads not even have hung on a few days later? What chance has the manager got with antics like this.

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 29/05/2017 09:19:51    1991715

Link

Would totally agree Stanley, and the mystifying thing is, I believe these lads are not travelling until next week ??

Whocares (Wicklow) - Posts: 229 - 29/05/2017 10:51:18    1991748

Link

Replying To stanley:  "Can anyone shed more light on why two players who were due to start a championship match only notified the management/their team-mates that they would not be playing as they were heading to America for the summer only days before the game? No doubt there are two sides to every story but the optics of this seem dreadful. I would be the last to begrudge any young person the who has chosen to spend their summer travelling but to only inform your manager and colleagues of this days before a crucial game shows breathtaking disrespect. Could these lads not even have hung on a few days later? What chance has the manager got with antics like this."
Not sure how true it is but I've heard that it's something to do with if they played for wicklow they wouldn't have being allowed play over in America.

I don't know how true that is because most players always played the 1st round and then went but maybe there has being a rule changed because Louth also had a player unable to play as he was going away

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 29/05/2017 22:12:53    1991984

Link

Replying To WW9:  "Not sure how true it is but I've heard that it's something to do with if they played for wicklow they wouldn't have being allowed play over in America.

I don't know how true that is because most players always played the 1st round and then went but maybe there has being a rule changed because Louth also had a player unable to play as he was going away"
Saw this on the GAA website.........

9. I am a member of a senior Inter-County panel, can I get a sanction to play in the USGAA area (excl. New York)?
Members of Inter-County panels, who have been included on a championship team list, are not eligible for sanctions to the USA; however, under Rule 6.12 (b) (ii) a member of an inter-county panel who holds a valid J1 visa can apply to play in the USA (excl. New York) by completing and submitting a J1 Sanction form.Such a player may only have his J1 Sanction approved once his team has been eliminated from the Senior Inter-County Championship (including All-Ireland qualifier games).

http://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/rules-regulations/transfers-faq

Fullartj (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 30/05/2017 11:59:44    1992118

Link

Replying To WW9:  "Not sure how true it is but I've heard that it's something to do with if they played for wicklow they wouldn't have being allowed play over in America.

I don't know how true that is because most players always played the 1st round and then went but maybe there has being a rule changed because Louth also had a player unable to play as he was going away"
Heard the same, rule may have been changed this year to try stop lads leaving after the first round

LSDEindhoven (Wicklow) - Posts: 68 - 30/05/2017 12:07:00    1992125

Link

Replying To LSDEindhoven:  "Heard the same, rule may have been changed this year to try stop lads leaving after the first round"
As far as I'm aware it's the reason Daly dropped off the Roscommon panel too. He's off to San Fran in mid June.

anon (None) - Posts: 337 - 31/05/2017 16:08:01    1992707

Link

Yere lucky we are in other side of draw for qualifiers.. otherwise ye could have been facing another hammering.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 01/06/2017 20:03:51    1993248

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Yere lucky we are in other side of draw for qualifiers.. otherwise ye could have been facing another hammering."
Qualifiers? Will you's not go on and beat the Dubs now after that epic performance against the mighty Wexford?

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 123 - 02/06/2017 16:13:43    1993611

Link

Draws taking place Tuesday night in an ideal world who would you like to get
Longford, Louth/Meath, Laois/Kildare, Derry, Antrim, Waterford or Sligo.

Maybe a home championship match, we haven't had one in something like 4 years

Anyone hear how the junior teams looking against louth on Wednesday nigh?

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 03/06/2017 12:34:50    1993887

Link

Replying To Whocares:  "Hurlingnut, if you read my previous message I, at no stage said that there were young, enthusiastic people already running Clubs within the County. I said that is what we need to run the County and judging by comments made after I said it I think people also agree. We need business men that can turn things around, that have knowledge, that have the guile and understanding. If we keep going with what we have and as we are we will not change and get any better !!!"
If you read my reply you would see I never said you said there were young energetic go getters running clubs. The point I am making is if there are NO energetic young go getters running the clubs who supply the "Talent" to the county board then you sure as hell arent going to get them running the county.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 289 - 04/06/2017 23:24:46    1994770

Link