Wexford Forum

Iinermediate Football Championship.

(Oldest Posts First)

I still see it being a Glynn V St.James final unless they meet before that.

I said that the day after Taghmon/Camross beat Glynn/Barntown in the group stages back in August and so on Sunday it will come to pass.
G/B without Craig Doyle and Mark Fanning who is also an excellent footballer will be the underdogs.
Both St.James and G/Barntown knocked out of the last two championships by St.Fintans and Starlights respectively.
St.James are in their third final in a row and are very strong down the middle with G Molloy the standout player in this division.
I feel G/Barntown are better balanced overall and have a stronger bench even without the two injured palyers.
Ian Moran who is still a minor being their main threat off the bench with 7 or 8 goals so far this year.
I cannot pick a winner here and will sit on the fence and call it a draw.

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 23/10/2014 15:00:41    1666549

Link

Having played both these teams on numerous occasions in years gone by your spot on, it will be tight. Kevin O'Grady could do damage and could be main man. Barntown have a lot of good players but no standout player, which isn't always a bad thing, however some of their "better" players sometimes feel that they need to win games by themselves, the Jimmies are a well rounded team, had a good win in the hurling this year and are a good club I think they underestimated St Fintans last year, turns out to most people's surprise, St Fintans are a better team than thought.
I do think the James' will sneak it, as long as getting beaten in 2 (maybe 3) of the last finals doesn't play with their heads. I really hope they do win as losing that many finals can't be good for morale, and they're a decent bunch.
James by 2-3 points. G Molloy is a fantastic footballer and should dominate, K O'Grady can be very good but can also be stopped so a lot will depend on whether or not he is effective.
For Barntown, they've a number of talented players, will need a big performance from Rob Dempsey (I presume he's playing) and could do with Rob Tierney coming out of his shell and being as effective for club as he is for county.

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 24/10/2014 14:19:11    1666881

Link

I cannot pick a winner here and will sit on the fence and call it a draw.

Right again.. Although very lucky this time.
Glynn the better team and a 3 pt victory would have been about right and if either Fanning or Doyle had played they would have won by 5 or 6. If O Regan had of not been sent off then we would have been looking at another replay also I reckon.
They have lost to the champions for the last 3 years running but a bigger problem now is that Kilanerin should be a lot better than all the other teams in this grade. . In saying that I see Glynn are in the minor football final again and surely they will move back into Senior sooner rather than later.
Congrats to St.James on somehow eeking out a win. They have some very good footballers but presently not enough to sustain a challenge at Senior level.
The biggest problem they will face is a severe step up in quality they will face at both hurling and football next year.
If they say lose their first few matches then the pressure really mounts and from what Ive seen their squad is very bare at senior football level and in 12 months time they could be back where they started. For their sake I hope not.

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 28/10/2014 20:26:13    1667898

Link

I agree Glynn were about three points a better team. It was a good game despite the conditions. I cant understand where the ref got 8 mins of added time from considering he only played two in first half and I thought he was brutal too both teams. I didn't think it was a foul on the goalie for James goal but glynn lads were definitely fouled on three occasions before ball was kicked into goalkeeper. Just a note for myself and someone can correct me is extra time not a new game therefore glynn should have been allowed replace regan when he was black carded. He received a yellow in the normal game just wondering ?

Dexter2 (Wexford) - Posts: 53 - 29/10/2014 16:17:06    1668114

Link

Was away for the last week so only saw the paper and these posts over the weekend. Thought it was a decent game of football in the conditions. both teams tried their best but the weather was just terrible. I thought Glynn were the better team and I's say the would have won or at least got a draw if O'Regan had stayed on the field they had four opportunities to kick a levelling point in the end of extra time and couldn't do it.
I actually thought the ref did OK sure he got stuff wrong but I thought he was fair. I cant understand why the comments here and on the paper are all about the added time in the second half. In my opinion he could have played another minute or two. He actually played 4 mins 50 seconds injury in the first half. and 7 mins 12 seconds in the second half. (i'm a bit of a nerd and I time games) I counted 6 occasions where there were players down injured in the second half versus 2 in the first half. and it was obvious that both goalkeeprs when defending the town end were delaying kickouts to beat the band. Also the report in the paper said the injury time wasn't signalled by the fourth official - of course it wasn't - there wasn't a fourth official on duty for the intermediate game.
Finally Dexter - yellow cards carry over from normal time into Extra time when it is played. its an inconsistent rule in my opinion. something that should be looked at. but the correct decision was made based on the rule.

onthemoney3 (Wexford) - Posts: 7 - 03/11/2014 08:18:30    1669173

Link

Well done to St James yesterday on thier win against the carlow champs, hoepfully they'll go well in the competition.
Who's next for them ?

freddy2 (Wexford) - Posts: 215 - 03/11/2014 09:54:02    1669224

Link

meath champs in wexford

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 03/11/2014 12:08:53    1669292

Link

Well lads how do you think St James will get on in Leinster? Have they any county players? St Fintan's took the eventual winners Geraldines to extra time at the same stage last year so I'd imagine they would be decent?

Toney (Meath) - Posts: 294 - 12/11/2014 15:19:36    1671767

Link

James were big favourites to beat Fintans last year in the final. In saying that I reckon Meath will have more than enough to take them, they have no county players currently in panel so highly doubt they'll threaten Meath champs too much.

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 12/11/2014 16:23:56    1671786

Link

rossytilidie nice try! Google tells me the Wexford football and hurling captains play for St James!

Toney (Meath) - Posts: 294 - 12/11/2014 17:38:21    1671812

Link

Well get back to the Meath page and stop snooping for information so! Honest opinion, Meath club football should in general be stronger than Wexford club football, I see on PP James' are favorites, as a betting proposition I'd back Meath, but jimmies are on a roll and are a good bunch, great spirit, unlucky not be senior before now, so I hope they beat the lard out of you royals! Next time you go snooping don't ask such silly questions!

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 12/11/2014 21:35:09    1671883

Link

Unlucky to be senior before now but lucky to be senior next year. Luck will have a lot to do with the result this weekend and I agree with Ross that as a betting proposition the Meath champs are the logical decision but the heart says the Jimmies.

Paull (Wexford) - Posts: 111 - 14/11/2014 12:49:45    1672218

Link