Wexford Forum

Please No Sweeper

(Oldest Posts First)

It must be obvious to everyone that the sweeper system will not work against quality sides especially when it gets to the business end during the summer. The likes of Kilkenny, Galway, Clare, Limerick etc, have found us out at this stage so I feel that we must stop damage limitation and give the forwards the opportunity to build up a decent score. Yes we must filter back and defend for puckouts and when under pressure. This will not guarantee success of course but surely we could develop this over time, then maybe we'll have something to shout about again.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 17/01/2019 22:53:48    2157920

Link

Replying To Blockandhook:  "It must be obvious to everyone that the sweeper system will not work against quality sides especially when it gets to the business end during the summer. The likes of Kilkenny, Galway, Clare, Limerick etc, have found us out at this stage so I feel that we must stop damage limitation and give the forwards the opportunity to build up a decent score. Yes we must filter back and defend for puckouts and when under pressure. This will not guarantee success of course but surely we could develop this over time, then maybe we'll have something to shout about again."
The problem hasnt been entirely not getting good scores. Or being "found out". The problem against Clare and Kilkenny last year in the championship was that we gave away at least 6 points in each game from players hitting poor passes to unmarked opposition players who either tapped the ball over themselves or laid it off to a teammate to tap over. When you say filter back for puckouts or when under pressure thats not exactly the way Galway set up. They had Tuohy playing as a free man/sweeper when they won the All Ireland.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1273 - 18/01/2019 17:40:03    2158060

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "The problem hasnt been entirely not getting good scores. Or being "found out". The problem against Clare and Kilkenny last year in the championship was that we gave away at least 6 points in each game from players hitting poor passes to unmarked opposition players who either tapped the ball over themselves or laid it off to a teammate to tap over. When you say filter back for puckouts or when under pressure thats not exactly the way Galway set up. They had Tuohy playing as a free man/sweeper when they won the All Ireland."
Replying to viking 66.yes you are spot on. We do need to work on our passing, as sloppy movements with hurl or hand is terrible to look at and as you rightly say leads to easy possession and giveaway scores. Getting the basics right is fundamental and must be worked on. However on a more positive note, I think that we have the players to succeed but they must play in their best positions. Chin in a central role, midfield I think would be best. Jack o Connor as a wing back. Maybe these moves would steady the ship.

Blockandhook (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 19/01/2019 07:34:23    2158137

Link