USA Forum

New York GAA

(Oldest Posts First)

Just back from home and rumour has it NY manager Seamus Sweeney is moving back soon. I know he did a fantastic job putting NY back on the map. Is he not going to see out his two years. We have the Mayo game coming up soon. As a NY supporter for over 30 years it was great to see the NY players wearing the jersey with pride and I'd like to see that continued.

donegal (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 09/06/2010 17:26:30    672360

Link

get your facts straight...mayo was last year, next up is roscommon, sligo, leitrim, MAYO, and then galway....he's probably just going home to pick off the county scrap pile, offer them a job and a roof over their heads so he can say he won a game as NY manager

sligolifer (Sligo) - Posts: 959 - 09/06/2010 20:24:37    672572

Link

have the facts right. we play mayo in October and would be happy to see players wanting to come and join the squad. yes, i do hope Seamus Sweeney hangs in as ny manager. there's no denying he's been good for the new york gaa and he knows how things should be done.

donegal (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 10/06/2010 20:39:17    673711

Link

sweeney should go back, justin o halloran was the backbone in the management, and the management was one of the reasons they lost the game, because they should have made substitutions to take the two booked players off, instead of letting them get sent off,

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 12/06/2010 21:54:03    675335

Link

Sweeny will do whatever he wants. When things didn't suit his agenda in Philly and the NACB (where he resides by the way) he took his Donegal team up the Turnpike to New York. When Croke Park and Pauric Duffy ordered them to cease playing and return to the NACB he folded the club and took on the job of managing New York and Donegal New York. I'm sure if things aren't working out in NY he'll run of home to Donegal. Can you see a pattern?

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 24/06/2010 18:02:30    686341

Link

yes seems like a bit of a joke to me!

northie_chap (Louth) - Posts: 69 - 26/06/2010 17:33:54    687746

Link

Maybe with John Joes resignation Sweeney will get the Donegal job at home. Would he be the first county manager ever that actually never put on a pair of football boots at school, club or county level? Quite an achievement. Hats of to him.

phanatic (USA) - Posts: 91 - 28/06/2010 17:52:41    690053

Link

Phanatic give it a break, you are an embarrassment to Philadelphia GAA, which is making great strides this year under the new Chairperson to bring the GAA in Philly Back
Congratulations to YI'S and St Pats for a great sporting game last night, we need more competition like this, and less of your sickening nonsense.

JoetheBard (USA) - Posts: 32 - 01/07/2010 15:29:32    693339

Link

Agree totally with Joethebard- Phanatic, crawl back under your rock and stop your continual whining and maybe wonder why team is not competing in Philly. What incentive is there for them to play there if the likes of you are representative of Philadelphia's finest. What difference does it make what level he played at. Surely all the more reason to applaud him for putting his time energy and money into keeping team going there for many years. I don't see him on here knocking everyone. Look in the mirror for reasons why they went to New York in the first place.

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 01/07/2010 17:35:46    693561

Link

Gaelic Park Lifer. Stick to telling all of us how many medals and awards you have and blowing your own trumpet. You haven't a clue about what goes on in Philly and the NACB so keep your snout out of it.

truthseeker (USA) - Posts: 14 - 02/07/2010 17:13:08    694489

Link

At a time when Philadelphia is on the verge of Greatness, let's get behind our new Chairperson and give him all the help he needs to get this project that he has got started completed.
This will be something that everybody will be very proud of for years to come.
The truth seekers and the Phanatic's of this world has nothing to offer anyone, they are yesterdays men.

JoetheBard (USA) - Posts: 32 - 02/07/2010 17:31:54    694517

Link

Truthseeker- any more than you and Phanatic have a clue what goes on in New York or Donegal?? Certainly no great interest what goes on in Philly to be honest, Merely pointing out that people who knock and moan like you two deserve all you get. Why would I stick my snout in? I along with the vast majority here could care less about you or the NAB and what perceived injustice has been visited on you. Get the chip off your shoulder and wise up. At least the manager of New York sees it for what it is and that is why he is up here to begin with, a chance to work with a good championship structure, virtually free of politics and B.S. Fair play to your new chairman for being progressive.

GPlifer (USA) - Posts: 290 - 02/07/2010 19:58:59    694676

Link

Just looking at the comments about the NY manager and waiting for a proper answer. Let me add to Joe the Bard's info. Having played for the county myself, I've kept track of Donegal teams all over the place, the Tirconaill Gaels in London, Donegal NY, Donegal Boston and Donegal Philly. Being from Donegal myself I have known of the man for years and played against him many times here at home at both school and club level. There were a group of young footballers who had no other choice but to emigrate in the 80s and a lot of clubs suffered at that time. Sweeney was one of them.

For what I know of the man, the success of the Four Provinces was no big surprise. How he got men motivated to train week in and week out then travel four and five hours up and down the road to NY for five or six years, I'll never know. Every game an away game, I'm led to believe. It was also no surprise to us here when he was asked to manage the NY county team, a great achievement. The man takes no credit for anything. Having heard his interview on Highland Radio after the Galway game, the man talked of nothing but the good GAA people in America, the opportunity given him by the NY Board to manage their county team, the great people that surrounded him, trainers and selectors and the great commitment that the players gave him. It annoys me to see a man of his stature getting knocked.

But knowing what I know talk has it that he's coming home to stay when his time is done with the New York county team to pursue offers here at home. I'm sure McFadden and St. Michaels would be glad to see him and we would welcome him back to the county as well. I know he does be home often having him seen him at different games and has a great love and knowledge of the game. Its men like Sweeney this county needs. This is a man who has done it all, Mr. Phanatic, yet you choose to speak of him and things you know nothing about.

journalist (Donegal) - Posts: 1 - 06/07/2010 08:00:55    697552

Link

Journalist I would think you are giving to much attention to the views of phanatic.
This is someone with clearly too much time on his hands, he is obsessed with other people's business, Seamus Sweeney is a very well respected GAA person both in Philadelphia and New York, and a true gentleman.
A check of the various pages on this forum will tell you all you want to know, check the Tyrone page and you will see his views on a Club Tyrone fundraising event held recently in Philadelphia, never in my over twenty years in this City did I see an Irish person calling for a boycott of another club's fundraiser.
I believe one poster referred to this person as a whiner, that would be fair enough, the definition of a whiner is. 1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch:
All of the above would apply to phanatic.

JoetheBard (USA) - Posts: 32 - 07/07/2010 17:57:45    699694

Link