Tipperary Forum

Hurling Clubs in Clonmel

(Oldest Posts First)

Hey everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me out here, it looks like I may be moving to the Clonmel area for work in the next few months and I'd like to play some hurling while i'm there. I'm likely to be there for a few years working in a factory in Clonmel.

My dilema is this I'd only be an average intermediate level hurler at best but I do love the game and enjoy training with a good group of lads. I would even consider playing junior hurling as with work i may not be able to train enough to be fit enough for an intermediate championship.

That said I've been trying to do some research into what a good club for me would be and I've asked friends down there to recommend a club to me and the problem is everyone i ask has been fairly negative about the clubs in the town.

I was told if I wanted to play Intermediate hurling in the town my only option was St. Mary's but I was then told about a number of problems with that club and I have no wish to join a club which has a lot of in fighting going. I just want to hurl with some good hurling people and not have to deal with internal GAA club politics.

I was then told about a club on the oustskirts of the town named Moyle Rovers. But from speaking to a couple of people involved with them I was told their very much a football first club and to be honest I'm not a football person.

Then I was told about about a couple of junior clubs. Clonmel Og seemingly have a junior A hurling team but I'm told their club is very much football first and hurling second.

The last club they told me about is Marlfield but i was told to avoid them they are Junior B team and the club has really struggled to survive in the last 10 years or so.

My head is wrecked is there any such thing as just a hurling club who want to focus on hurling, train for hurling and have the craic and win matches or is every club in the area either polictically split or football dedicated ?

exile (Limerick) - Posts: 214 - 25/05/2010 12:24:46    657633

Link

I could be wrong but Fethard play in the Intermediate Championship.They are a few miles out of Clonmel I dont know the exact milage.

Now if you want a senior club about 20 mins drive is Cashel.Home of the Kings!!!Take the Rosegreen road out of Clonmel or you can go via Rockwell.There are 2 ways to get there.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1643 - 25/05/2010 14:25:43    657840

Link

Exile the big problem your going to face is that the area around clonmel is very much a football first area. Most of the clubs you've mentioned whilst having decent hurling teams, concentrate on football. Cashel have a senior, Junior A and Junior B teamand are very much a hurling first club. This is probably your best bet.

G_myster (Tipperary) - Posts: 16 - 25/05/2010 18:20:06    658241

Link

Moyle Rovers are a serious football club, but they won a Junior All Ireland in hurling a few years ago, and from an outsiders point of view, seem like a settled, well run club with good facilities.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2511 - 25/05/2010 18:30:10    658256

Link

rvs didnt win the final.. they lost to shamrocks. All the clubs in the area wud be football inclined first cept marys's and marlfield. mary's wud be always second fiddle to commericals thou(their sister club in football) and dare's always sum trouble in there. marlfield are jnr b but seem to be making a good burst of late and r gettin their act together.
tough choices!!

Shanballylad (Tipperary) - Posts: 14 - 26/05/2010 11:01:03    658593

Link

exile, you are only an hours drive from limerick so to be be honest keep playing hurling up there. clonmel and the surrounding areas are football clubs 1st and hurling clubs second so if that doesnt appease you, ya know what to do!

bigdan (UK) - Posts: 27 - 27/05/2010 12:02:01    659733

Link

Hi Exile,
The standard of Junior hurling isn't bad round here and is very competitive. Ballylooby/Castlegrace (Junior A and B teams)is a small club outside Clonmel that is putting in a big effort and has some fine young hurlers and the bit of experience too! I'm sure they would be delighted to welcome a new hurler to the club.
Why not check them out.

premierhurler (Tipperary) - Posts: 1 - 02/06/2010 13:49:43    665434

Link

Replying To exile:  "Hey everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me out here, it looks like I may be moving to the Clonmel area for work in the next few months and I'd like to play some hurling while i'm there. I'm likely to be there for a few years working in a factory in Clonmel.

My dilema is this I'd only be an average intermediate level hurler at best but I do love the game and enjoy training with a good group of lads. I would even consider playing junior hurling as with work i may not be able to train enough to be fit enough for an intermediate championship.

That said I've been trying to do some research into what a good club for me would be and I've asked friends down there to recommend a club to me and the problem is everyone i ask has been fairly negative about the clubs in the town.

I was told if I wanted to play Intermediate hurling in the town my only option was St. Mary's but I was then told about a number of problems with that club and I have no wish to join a club which has a lot of in fighting going. I just want to hurl with some good hurling people and not have to deal with internal GAA club politics.

I was then told about a club on the oustskirts of the town named Moyle Rovers. But from speaking to a couple of people involved with them I was told their very much a football first club and to be honest I'm not a football person.

Then I was told about about a couple of junior clubs. Clonmel Og seemingly have a junior A hurling team but I'm told their club is very much football first and hurling second.

The last club they told me about is Marlfield but i was told to avoid them they are Junior B team and the club has really struggled to survive in the last 10 years or so.

My head is wrecked is there any such thing as just a hurling club who want to focus on hurling, train for hurling and have the craic and win matches or is every club in the area either polictically split or football dedicated ?"
Hi there,

I know this post was made many moons ago but I'd like to address the comment about in fighting within St.Mary's. Firstly, there is not a club in the country without its difficulties and like many others we would have had our clashes over the years. However, the state of the club is now in a brilliant position with a strong, vibrant committee in situ and excellent underage structures in place.

Finally, as always, we welcome any newcomers to come along to train with us at any stage if stationed in Clonmel for work purposes or any other reason.

Naomh Mhuire Abu !

Roundie (Tipperary) - Posts: 1 - 10/10/2016 16:19:14    1924594

Link