Sligo Forum

Tourlestrane

(Oldest Posts First)

Some display by the Champions to come from 4 down in the final quarter, shoot a number of wides and yet had the composure to narrowly secure victory. Tough on Marys who stood up to the challenge throughout until the final minutes where the yielded a few frees from the incessant pressure.

The club who "everyone else loves to hate" are now appearing in the Senior Ladies final, Senior Mens final and the Junior A Final - some achievement for a lowly populated parish. yours etc Leyny

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 07/09/2020 10:46:21    2290920

Link

Replying To leyny:  "Some display by the Champions to come from 4 down in the final quarter, shoot a number of wides and yet had the composure to narrowly secure victory. Tough on Marys who stood up to the challenge throughout until the final minutes where the yielded a few frees from the incessant pressure.

The club who "everyone else loves to hate" are now appearing in the Senior Ladies final, Senior Mens final and the Junior A Final - some achievement for a lowly populated parish. yours etc Leyny"
Yeah fair play to them, they are dominant.

Just took at their record in the past few years in the connacht club and they really need to make a decent run at it. They haven't really made any progress there and when your that dominant in your own county I'm afraid thats what you'll be judged on

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 267 - 07/09/2020 21:02:58    2291051

Link

I believe there is hefty suspensions coming to the Tourlestrane management. It won't deter them in winning the Co Final. I admire the success of Tourlestrane and certainly would not be ABT but I hate the way they play the game and conduct themselves. I have said it before that it must cost them a small fortune to remain so successful as apart from an excellent Pitch their facilities are poor. No development in the last 20 years. All their resources are put into the teams. 2 years ago their ladies were intermediate. They went very close to winning a senior title last Sat. Their Junior team could very easily win the A final. Theyseem to have no interest in competing in A competition at underage. I can't remember the last time they won an A title. Very few of them make it to Co panels at underage. Their Junior midfielder is a horse of a lad who played club minor this year also. He will seemlessly take Stephen Henry's position in a year or two but he never played county.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 14/09/2020 23:50:49    2292147

Link

I believe there is hefty suspensions coming to the Tourlestrane management. It won't deter them in winning the Co Final. I admire the success of Tourlestrane and certainly would not be ABT but I hate the way they play the game and conduct themselves. I have said it before that it must cost them a small fortune to remain so successful as apart from an excellent Pitch their facilities are poor. No development in the last 20 years. All their resources are put into the teams. 2 years ago their ladies were intermediate. They went very close to winning a senior title last Sat. Their Junior team could very easily win the A final. Theyseem to have no interest in competing in A competition at underage. I can't remember the last time they won an A title. Very few of them make it to Co panels at underage. Their Junior midfielder is a horse of a lad who played club minor this year also. He will seemlessly take Stephen Henry's position in a year or two but he never played county.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 15/09/2020 09:29:42    2292162

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I believe there is hefty suspensions coming to the Tourlestrane management. It won't deter them in winning the Co Final. I admire the success of Tourlestrane and certainly would not be ABT but I hate the way they play the game and conduct themselves. I have said it before that it must cost them a small fortune to remain so successful as apart from an excellent Pitch their facilities are poor. No development in the last 20 years. All their resources are put into the teams. 2 years ago their ladies were intermediate. They went very close to winning a senior title last Sat. Their Junior team could very easily win the A final. Theyseem to have no interest in competing in A competition at underage. I can't remember the last time they won an A title. Very few of them make it to Co panels at underage. Their Junior midfielder is a horse of a lad who played club minor this year also. He will seemlessly take Stephen Henry's position in a year or two but he never played county."
Heard about the suspensions and it's not before time, as I have said before their conduct on the sideline leaves a lot to be desired. Whether it will derail their prep I doubt it very much. Drumcliffe won't pay any heed to speculation and will be fully geared up for a big performance I hope.

You have made a lot of points and a few digs at tourlestrane here, in what way are their facilities poor? One of the best pitches and best floodlights in the county and a big stand. Maybe a spruce up of the dressing rooms and the grounds is required but if the choice is between that and winning county titles I know what most people would choose. Teams are the heart of the clubs not fancy facilities.

On the no interest in competing at A underage I don't know is that true, maybe they have no interest in amalgamating with neighbors which seems to be the get out clause for a lot of clubs and there will be a reckoning coming down the line because of this. Maybe they don't have the numbers at every age group, you need a squad of 20 to compete at A don't forget.

Tourlestrane seem to retain their players better than anyone else at adult level. They manage to bring through a few new faces onto the senior team every couple of years without a drop off in performance which is the main reason they are so successful, a lot of clubs could look at how they do things.

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 15/09/2020 10:32:57    2292176

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I believe there is hefty suspensions coming to the Tourlestrane management. It won't deter them in winning the Co Final. I admire the success of Tourlestrane and certainly would not be ABT but I hate the way they play the game and conduct themselves. I have said it before that it must cost them a small fortune to remain so successful as apart from an excellent Pitch their facilities are poor. No development in the last 20 years. All their resources are put into the teams. 2 years ago their ladies were intermediate. They went very close to winning a senior title last Sat. Their Junior team could very easily win the A final. Theyseem to have no interest in competing in A competition at underage. I can't remember the last time they won an A title. Very few of them make it to Co panels at underage. Their Junior midfielder is a horse of a lad who played club minor this year also. He will seemlessly take Stephen Henry's position in a year or two but he never played county."
I don't understand the comment about their style of play. It's the same as all other teams play now, if another team goes on to dominate club football the same comments will apply. They have not been impressive this year but last year the racked up some very high scores.
On the under age question they are like many rural clubs with small population, I'd rather see teams feild on their own at B or C than amalgamations.
A good flood lit pitch, competitive in lads and girls football as well as having a hurling team is what been a Gaa club is about, success is a bonus.

MrUnderhill (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 15/09/2020 10:45:12    2292179

Link

Heard about the suspensions and it's not before time, as I have said before their conduct on the sideline leaves a lot to be desired. Whether it will derail their prep I doubt it very much. Drumcliffe won't pay any heed to speculation and will be fully geared up for a big performance I hope.

You have made a lot of points and a few digs at tourlestrane here, in what way are their facilities poor? One of the best pitches and best floodlights in the county and a big stand. Maybe a spruce up of the dressing rooms and the grounds is required but if the choice is between that and winning county titles I know what most people would choose. Teams are the heart of the clubs not fancy facilities.

On the no interest in competing at A underage I don't know is that true, maybe they have no interest in amalgamating with neighbors which seems to be the get out clause for a lot of clubs and there will be a reckoning coming down the line because of this. Maybe they don't have the numbers at every age group, you need a squad of 20 to compete at A don't forget.

Tourlestrane seem to retain their players better than anyone else at adult level. They manage to bring through a few new faces onto the senior team every couple of years without a drop off in performance which is the main reason they are so successful, a lot of clubs could look at how they do things.

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 15/09/2020 11:57:36    2292203

Link

Replying To MrWest91:  "Heard about the suspensions and it's not before time, as I have said before their conduct on the sideline leaves a lot to be desired. Whether it will derail their prep I doubt it very much. Drumcliffe won't pay any heed to speculation and will be fully geared up for a big performance I hope.

Tourlestrane seem to retain their players better than anyone else at adult level. They manage to bring through a few new faces onto the senior team every couple of years without a drop off in performance which is the main reason they are so successful, a lot of clubs could look at how they do things."
I think I have been misunderstood on a few points. I admire the way they play at underage. They could put out a good team capable of playing at A if they wished but they are more interested in bringing bigger numbers through the ranks and maybe the weak u.14 might blossom at 17. Other teams would supplement their u16 team with the cream of the u.14 and leave their u.16 weak lads on the bench. On this year's Sligo minor panel they have 1 lad on it. Last year I don't believe they had anyone. Even at Sligo senior football there's never more than 2 or 3 involved despite the success at senior.
I have said that their Pitch is very good with floodlights but the dressing rooms need a bulldozer, their training pitch is poor and the land they bought to develop is standing still after a botched job at developing. I would think that the success of their teams is costing them a small fortune. Senior MGT definitely not cheap. Other clubs not nearly as successful like Tubber, Coolaney,Harps, Molaise ,Collooney, Geevagh have all completed major work in the last 10 years. Tourlestrane are at a standstill. I am not saying that they are wrong!!!
Finally they like to throw out the small club syndrome. That's totally false. Their area starts just outside Tubbercurry on the Ballina road and about 2 miles outside Tubber on the Galway road. It's a long way from there to the Mayo border the far side of kilmactigue.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 15/09/2020 13:09:23    2292225

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I think I have been misunderstood on a few points. I admire the way they play at underage. They could put out a good team capable of playing at A if they wished but they are more interested in bringing bigger numbers through the ranks and maybe the weak u.14 might blossom at 17. Other teams would supplement their u16 team with the cream of the u.14 and leave their u.16 weak lads on the bench. On this year's Sligo minor panel they have 1 lad on it. Last year I don't believe they had anyone. Even at Sligo senior football there's never more than 2 or 3 involved despite the success at senior.
I have said that their Pitch is very good with floodlights but the dressing rooms need a bulldozer, their training pitch is poor and the land they bought to develop is standing still after a botched job at developing. I would think that the success of their teams is costing them a small fortune. Senior MGT definitely not cheap. Other clubs not nearly as successful like Tubber, Coolaney,Harps, Molaise ,Collooney, Geevagh have all completed major work in the last 10 years. Tourlestrane are at a standstill. I am not saying that they are wrong!!!
Finally they like to throw out the small club syndrome. That's totally false. Their area starts just outside Tubbercurry on the Ballina road and about 2 miles outside Tubber on the Galway road. It's a long way from there to the Mayo border the far side of kilmactigue."
What has players playing county got to do with it? Galway haven't stacked their team with Corofin players and they are going for 8 in a row. Thats a nothing argument just to throw out they have no one involved in panels.

And on the cost of the senior setup I'd be willing to bet that they aren't paying the managers so what they save on that they can pay to physio's nutritionists and S&C coaches although they have plenty of those in the parish also. Regardless a top setup will cost money that's just the reality of it. The one criticism I have of them is the failure to make inroads in the connacht club.

Their facilities are fine if it keeps churning out county titles.

MrWest91 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 15/09/2020 14:02:08    2292253

Link

Replying To MrWest91:  "What has players playing county got to do with it? Galway haven't stacked their team with Corofin players and they are going for 8 in a row. Thats a nothing argument just to throw out they have no one involved in panels.

And on the cost of the senior setup I'd be willing to bet that they aren't paying the managers so what they save on that they can pay to physio's nutritionists and S&C coaches although they have plenty of those in the parish also. Regardless a top setup will cost money that's just the reality of it. The one criticism I have of them is the failure to make inroads in the connacht club.

Their facilities are fine if it keeps churning out county titles."
O you are so innocent !!! Every club is paying their manager. Every club denies it, cos it's not supposed to happen but the dogs in the street know it. Maybe you don't have a dog. I doubt if 20 k would cover the senior teams expense.
No idea what you mean about having no one involved with Co set ups.
My point is that the club seem to have little interest in pushing their players to play county. Much rather keep them and develop them in their own club. Hard to argue with that as I see players no involved in Development squads playing better than lads that have been in development squads for years

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 15/09/2020 14:16:05    2292255

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "O you are so innocent !!! Every club is paying their manager. Every club denies it, cos it's not supposed to happen but the dogs in the street know it. Maybe you don't have a dog. I doubt if 20 k would cover the senior teams expense.
My point is that the club seem to have little interest in pushing their players to play county. Much rather keep them and develop them in their own club. Hard to argue with that as I see players no involved in Development squads playing better than lads that have been in development squads for years"
it is widely regarded that 'home' managers dont take money of their home club, i would be very very surprised if they arent getting paid and forgive me for my ignorance to the matter, but imo there isnt many young lads that would turn down the chance of playing county?
its not the clubs choice if he/she wants to play county, if they are good enough they get a call and 9 times out 10 they go, do they not? i dont really understand what you mean by 'Much rather keep them and develop them in their own club'. they arent saying look billy the county wants ya in but we arent letting you ?? bit of a daft statement eoiny

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 42 - 15/09/2020 14:47:49    2292266

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "O you are so innocent !!! Every club is paying their manager. Every club denies it, cos it's not supposed to happen but the dogs in the street know it. Maybe you don't have a dog. I doubt if 20 k would cover the senior teams expense.
My point is that the club seem to have little interest in pushing their players to play county. Much rather keep them and develop them in their own club. Hard to argue with that as I see players no involved in Development squads playing better than lads that have been in development squads for years"
A few points;
1) Yes, it has been decades since they won A titles, u14 back in 1967, U16 in 1977, but more recently they captured u20/u21 titles.
2) it is not a deliberate policy to field in B, but the numbers are not in it. This years minor had 7 "real minors" with the balance consisting of u15/16 players. This outfit didn't make the Shield final despite a huge commitment to training - as an aside our near neighbours decided not to play their u16s in their minor side and instead elected to join with Cool/Mull and became the laughing stock of the minor championship.
3) Geographically, the parish does stretch from outside Tubber to the borders of Mayo and yes, it appears large in terms of area, but a population analysis done last year showed a total of just over 1200 people (of all ages).
4) Regarding the County setup, it is true they don't feature on the county teams and it is a puzzle within the club,-as the players do attend the trials/training but often get overlooked because apparently they are not good enough or are not from the club of a selector. By way of example at the senior team, JF Carr has been consistently one of the best wing back on the club scene for the past few years but, is either stuck in at corner back or the bench by the county management.
5) for years and years they have developed a system of getting perhaps only one player (who is often overlooked by county dev. squads) from the crop of minors and successfully blending that individual into the senior team.
6) I suppose the bottom line is, with the exception of hurling, there are no other competing sports unlike the town and city clubs, and almost, without exception all children (boys and girls) will feature at some grade for the club and hats off to the many mentors who over the years have facilitated and encouraged it.
7) they are probably like marmite (you either love them or hate them), but to go undefeated through championship and league for 5 years is a massive achievement and a testimony to the huge sacrifices made by the Official, players and management and to discredit their dressing rooms is really really scraping the barrel as it downright ABT.

your etc Leyny

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 15/09/2020 15:44:21    2292278

Link

Replying To leyny:  "A few points;
1) Yes, it has been decades since they won A titles, u14 back in 1967, U16 in 1977, but more recently they captured u20/u21 titles.
2) it is not a deliberate policy to field in B, but the numbers are not in it. This years minor had 7 "real minors" with the balance consisting of u15/16 players. This outfit didn't make the Shield final despite a huge commitment to training - as an aside our near neighbours decided not to play their u16s in their minor side and instead elected to join with Cool/Mull and became the laughing stock of the minor championship.
3) Geographically, the parish does stretch from outside Tubber to the borders of Mayo and yes, it appears large in terms of area, but a population analysis done last year showed a total of just over 1200 people (of all ages).
4) Regarding the County setup, it is true they don't feature on the county teams and it is a puzzle within the club,-as the players do attend the trials/training but often get overlooked because apparently they are not good enough or are not from the club of a selector. By way of example at the senior team, JF Carr has been consistently one of the best wing back on the club scene for the past few years but, is either stuck in at corner back or the bench by the county management.
5) for years and years they have developed a system of getting perhaps only one player (who is often overlooked by county dev. squads) from the crop of minors and successfully blending that individual into the senior team.
6) I suppose the bottom line is, with the exception of hurling, there are no other competing sports unlike the town and city clubs, and almost, without exception all children (boys and girls) will feature at some grade for the club and hats off to the many mentors who over the years have facilitated and encouraged it.
7) they are probably like marmite (you either love them or hate them), but to go undefeated through championship and league for 5 years is a massive achievement and a testimony to the huge sacrifices made by the Official, players and management and to discredit their dressing rooms is really really scraping the barrel as it downright ABT.

your etc Leyny"
Remember you created this post. You felt Tourlestrane deserved a post all to themselves which is fine. It was also you that stated that they are the club everyone loves to hate...... I see no evidence of that in the county, I stuck up a few of my opinions and you basically agreed with them except that I was scraping the Barrell by condeming their dressing rooms and then throwing in that it was ABT. I was telling the truth. Their dressing rooms are very poor. I was extremely complimentary to them in many points but you chose to ignore that

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 798 - 15/09/2020 18:14:07    2292316

Link

in all fairness anyone that doesnt hold anything but admiration for the dominance tour have held over sligo football is just bitter, you dont need the best dressing rooms in the land to have good grounds, ask any player and they would always pick playing on a friday night under lights in tourlestrane, it really is a fantastic pitch.
Tourlestrane just has a winning culture, its bred into them and young bucks expect to win every game when they get to senior, not hoping, as it is with a majority of teams, every team thinks they have a chance in a 2 horse race, but o hara said it himself after the semi final win ''we know we are going to win if we play our game'' not many teams can say that, lets say drumcliffe, to topple tour, they need every man to play brilliant AND tour to play poorly, its the same with corofin, they just dont know how to lose, teams are bet before they play team, they just have that fear factor

And whats more, its so hard to see any club catching up with tourlestrane, they will dominate for the next 5 years again

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 42 - 16/09/2020 09:53:03    2292403

Link

Replying To sligopublican:  "in all fairness anyone that doesnt hold anything but admiration for the dominance tour have held over sligo football is just bitter, you dont need the best dressing rooms in the land to have good grounds, ask any player and they would always pick playing on a friday night under lights in tourlestrane, it really is a fantastic pitch.
Tourlestrane just has a winning culture, its bred into them and young bucks expect to win every game when they get to senior, not hoping, as it is with a majority of teams, every team thinks they have a chance in a 2 horse race, but o hara said it himself after the semi final win ''we know we are going to win if we play our game'' not many teams can say that, lets say drumcliffe, to topple tour, they need every man to play brilliant AND tour to play poorly, its the same with corofin, they just dont know how to lose, teams are bet before they play team, they just have that fear factor

And whats more, its so hard to see any club catching up with tourlestrane, they will dominate for the next 5 years again"
I agree with most of what you say. Though I'm not sure they'll dominate in the same way in the next five as the last five. Something says they have peaked and might not have the same quality in the lads coming in as the lads going out. They'll bag a few titles no doubt.

The fact remains. Until they achieve anything in Connacht, they'll never get the plaudits that a five in a row team would deserve.

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 16/09/2020 17:23:05    2292540

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Remember you created this post. You felt Tourlestrane deserved a post all to themselves which is fine. It was also you that stated that they are the club everyone loves to hate...... I see no evidence of that in the county, I stuck up a few of my opinions and you basically agreed with them except that I was scraping the Barrell by condeming their dressing rooms and then throwing in that it was ABT. I was telling the truth. Their dressing rooms are very poor. I was extremely complimentary to them in many points but you chose to ignore that"
We'll have to get ye two to meet and sort this out lads :)

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 51 - 16/09/2020 17:26:29    2292542

Link