Limerick Forum

Limerick U20s 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Surprised with the negative reaction to Saturday - Cork were hot favourites and very little would have been expected from this Limerick age group. The first half was dreadful from both sides but clearly a result of no match practice and a short turnaround from the end of lockdown to start of championship. Limerick were dogged in the second half and showed excellent heart and determination to draw level at the end. None of the players on show will make the breakthrough next year but did themselves proud, looking forward to seeing the minors in action next Sunday.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 436 - 14/12/2020 12:16:32    2322259

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "Overall, you'd have to be disappointed with the performance in general. The team showed a lot of heart to get to extra time but the utter collapse in extra time was awful. Clearly there was a gulf in capability between the Cork subs and ours as Cork powered away from us in that period. The positives are that Cathal O'Neill again underlined his class and is probably the best future senior prospect from either side. I'd oppose bringing him into the senior panel in 2021 especially if the county scene goes before the club in a split season scenario which looks most likely as he's in his Leaving Cert year. But he's definitely a brilliant prospect. I thought Coughlan at No 5 played like a potential senior player and O'Grady had some good moments.

I'd expect that Limerick will be much stronger in this grade in 2021 and I'd like to see someone like Donal O'Grady from the senior backroom team managing them as they are effectively a development opportunity/aspect for the senior panel. However, it's very disappointing that a number of prominent players including some of the guys who are currently part of the extended senior panel didn't make much of an impact. If they're not standing out at this grade, their future county prospects are very dim as I think the crop of players from last years and this years minors look like a richer seam of talent than the previous couple of years.

My rating is that the senior prospects from the 2019 minors are O'Neill, English, Keane and O'Connor. I still think they're the most likely talents.

Marvelous display from the minors and congratulations to everyone involved."
I would add Quilty to that list and Coughlan and O'Donovan have potential aswell.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 482 - 16/12/2020 16:21:07    2322931

Link

Replying To updwell:  "I would add Quilty to that list and Coughlan and O'Donovan have potential aswell."
Good effort but up against good Cork side
Would agree with those that stood out on a difficult evening
Would have reservations about the management of this team this year, poor puck outs etc made easier for Cork

higgins (Limerick) - Posts: 228 - 16/12/2020 19:13:49    2322984

Link