Limerick Forum

Senior Hurling Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Nothing against Na Piarsaigh but I hope Doon finally get their county title they have being there abouts the last 10 years or more and they are a strong club that have contributed greatly to Limerick hurling.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 721 - 15/09/2020 13:12:02    2292227

Link

I would agree duslsport,a win for doon would really shake things up in limerick.it is hard to see but doon gave a brilliant display last weekend..I'm still not fully convinced that na piarsaigh have produced anything like their best,if they do they won't be beaten..is there any chance of Donovan making an appearance?

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1070 - 15/09/2020 15:13:53    2292273

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "I would agree duslsport,a win for doon would really shake things up in limerick.it is hard to see but doon gave a brilliant display last weekend..I'm still not fully convinced that na piarsaigh have produced anything like their best,if they do they won't be beaten..is there any chance of Donovan making an appearance?"
I'm hearing its a possibility its not as bad as first feared but would need a month to clear properly he'll be given every chance thats what I heard anyway and hope its true

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1087 - 17/09/2020 22:35:31    2292796

Link

How far away is Richie English from returning ? (not to be putting pressure on the situation), not for this weekend but later in the year for Limerick ........Adrian Mullen did his cruciate in Feb and reports that he will make championship for KK this year, he has made great progress supposedly. Richie's wasn't as bad as his but is a cruciate operation the same no matter how bad it is ? in terms of recovery time etc

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 59 - 18/09/2020 12:03:32    2292869

Link

Unbelievable display from Na Piarsaigh tonight in their victory over Doon . Doon were missing two of their main men but Na Piarsaigh were missing Shane Dowling and Kevin Downes . Are Na Piarsaigh the greatest ever Limerick club team ? .

OpenStand (Limerick) - Posts: 293 - 19/09/2020 21:00:17    2293080

Link

Like a lot of people I was hoping Doon would upset the odds tonight but in fairness hats of to na piarsaigh, they were sublime. I hope the Doon lads' heads don't drop it was always going to be tough never mind missing the likes of Darragh O'Donovan and Richie English. Na piarsaigh put on a particularly awesome display. They had one of those nights where they could do no wrong. Summed up by that Conor Boylan long range point near the very end. Like Gavin O Mahony said Kilmallock awoke the beast when they defeated na pairsaigh earlier. Delighted with David Dempsey in particular. What we do lack at county level is natural goal scorers. Dempsey had that ability in spades. He showed that earlier in the league too. Great to see Peter Casey play so well too as he suffered with injury for a good few months. Hard to believe Conor Boylan is do young. This potentially could be his breakthrough year.
For Doon Josh Ryan was great particularly in the first half. Hopefully will see him battle for a bench spot at least

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 208 - 19/09/2020 22:11:49    2293093

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Like a lot of people I was hoping Doon would upset the odds tonight but in fairness hats of to na piarsaigh, they were sublime. I hope the Doon lads' heads don't drop it was always going to be tough never mind missing the likes of Darragh O'Donovan and Richie English. Na piarsaigh put on a particularly awesome display. They had one of those nights where they could do no wrong. Summed up by that Conor Boylan long range point near the very end. Like Gavin O Mahony said Kilmallock awoke the beast when they defeated na pairsaigh earlier. Delighted with David Dempsey in particular. What we do lack at county level is natural goal scorers. Dempsey had that ability in spades. He showed that earlier in the league too. Great to see Peter Casey play so well too as he suffered with injury for a good few months. Hard to believe Conor Boylan is do young. This potentially could be his breakthrough year.
For Doon Josh Ryan was great particularly in the first half. Hopefully will see him battle for a bench spot at least"
If someone could tell Josh Ryan how good he could be it might convince him to give 100% to hurling this winter. He could carry more muscle but by god has he got size and potential.
Ah Na Piarsaigh were untouchable tonight. Doon have great youngsters but it was never on tonight. Id love to see Na Piarsaigh against Ballyhale in that form. No doubt Ballyhale wouldn't stand off them like Doon did. But no shame for Doon tonight. They ll be back

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1339 - 19/09/2020 22:56:33    2293100

Link

Can somone please tell me if they have ever seen a better performance in limerick club championship..remember they were missing downes,dowling and houlihan...still able to bring on James o brien tonight..they are a scary sight for any club team when they play like that..it definitely looks like demsey and Peter Casey have to start with limerick,they are absolutely flying..also I think Jerome boylannis making a very strong case for starting instead of English..I've said on national forum it's a shame there is no club all ireland because the best are still involved..I felt for doon tonight and I hope this doesn't set them really back..

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - Posts: 1070 - 20/09/2020 00:33:47    2293115

Link

Agree with all mentioned before. Na Piarsaigh in that form imo best team in the country. David Dempsey is in serious form and will surely start when inter county resumes. Gotta feel for doon.Lot of that team under 21.Hopefully this result wont knock the confidence too much.

upthetreatyboys (Limerick) - Posts: 90 - 20/09/2020 08:28:21    2293123

Link

Replying To upthetreatyboys:  "Agree with all mentioned before. Na Piarsaigh in that form imo best team in the country. David Dempsey is in serious form and will surely start when inter county resumes. Gotta feel for doon.Lot of that team under 21.Hopefully this result wont knock the confidence too much."
Hard to call them best in the country when they've never bet Cuala or Ballyhale, personally I'd have them in the top 4 along with those 2 and Ballygunner.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2650 - 20/09/2020 11:01:50    2293148

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Hard to call them best in the country when they've never bet Cuala or Ballyhale, personally I'd have them in the top 4 along with those 2 and Ballygunner."
Thats fair enough. They had Cuala all but beat in the drawn game a few years ago but Dowling missed an easy free. Id say their just behind Ballyhale at the moment and a step ahead of Ballygunnar and Cuala but all 4 are a step ahead of everyone else

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1339 - 20/09/2020 11:43:06    2293154

Link

Well done Na Piarsaigh awesome display of hurling against a good team in Doon too. I was really impressed with their forwards winning high ball especially David Dempsey and Conor Boylan. I go along with everyone else that it's a pity there is no all Ireland club this year I think Na Piarsaigh would have a big say in it, in fairness they really should have beaten Cuala in the all Ireland final a few years ago a lapse in concentration gave away a stupid goal in the last minute of the first game and I think it had an affect in the replay because they didnt get going at all also I forget what year it was when they played Portumna in an all Ireland semi-final where Joe Canning should have being sent off and if they had won that game, they more than likely would have won the final.

Hard luck Doon in fairness no team could do without the likes of Richie English or Darragh O'Donavan who were big losses, in 2009 Na Piarsaigh took a heavy defeat to Adare in the county final and they learned from it and came back. Doon are doing the right things with their underage and have some very good hurlers and I'm sure they will win a county in the near future.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 721 - 20/09/2020 12:59:28    2293166

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Na Piarsaigh awesome display of hurling against a good team in Doon too. I was really impressed with their forwards winning high ball especially David Dempsey and Conor Boylan. I go along with everyone else that it's a pity there is no all Ireland club this year I think Na Piarsaigh would have a big say in it, in fairness they really should have beaten Cuala in the all Ireland final a few years ago a lapse in concentration gave away a stupid goal in the last minute of the first game and I think it had an affect in the replay because they didnt get going at all also I forget what year it was when they played Portumna in an all Ireland semi-final where Joe Canning should have being sent off and if they had won that game, they more than likely would have won the final.

Hard luck Doon in fairness no team could do without the likes of Richie English or Darragh O'Donavan who were big losses, in 2009 Na Piarsaigh took a heavy defeat to Adare in the county final and they learned from it and came back. Doon are doing the right things with their underage and have some very good hurlers and I'm sure they will win a county in the near future."
I'm sure countless teams have those types of regrets over the years, I've alot of relations from oulart ( my mother is originally from there) and they see the 2016 all ireland semi final as a missed opportunity, they feel they showed NAP too much respect and didn't tear into them until the final 20 mins, there was controversy over NAPs goal, came from a 65 dropped short, Lynch didn't lift it properly and lifted it a 2nd time ( don't know the rule myself), also NAP midfield on the day of Alan Dempsey and Will O'Donoghue dominated, Oulart bit like showing NAP too much respect created their own wound as their influential midfielder David Redmond suffered a bad concussion early in the game but played on( coliated with a teammate), possibly a factor in NAP dominating that sector, he actually missed the intercounty campaign that year due to the concussion. They were probably the best 2 teams in the country that year certainly a level ahead of Cushendall and Sarsfields of Galway in the other semi.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2650 - 21/09/2020 00:57:26    2293327

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Well done Na Piarsaigh awesome display of hurling against a good team in Doon too. I was really impressed with their forwards winning high ball especially David Dempsey and Conor Boylan. I go along with everyone else that it's a pity there is no all Ireland club this year I think Na Piarsaigh would have a big say in it, in fairness they really should have beaten Cuala in the all Ireland final a few years ago a lapse in concentration gave away a stupid goal in the last minute of the first game and I think it had an affect in the replay because they didnt get going at all also I forget what year it was when they played Portumna in an all Ireland semi-final where Joe Canning should have being sent off and if they had won that game, they more than likely would have won the final.

Hard luck Doon in fairness no team could do without the likes of Richie English or Darragh O'Donavan who were big losses, in 2009 Na Piarsaigh took a heavy defeat to Adare in the county final and they learned from it and came back. Doon are doing the right things with their underage and have some very good hurlers and I'm sure they will win a county in the near future."
NAP had one of those special performance that everything that they tries worked O Donovan & English massive loss to Doon but some of there better known players were so passive it was hard to believe diden't lay a finger on the NAP lads.

Taking J Ryan from midfield was also a terrible call they were 6 points adrift when they send him in to full forward when little ball went after that.

I can never understand why teams allow the opposition to dictate the tactics.

Clearly NAP like to play a lot of short puckouts with R Lynch sitting back in the pocket leaving space in there own full forward line for Dempsey Casey Breen to exploit so why dident Doon push up on them mark the sweeper as well if necessary.

They {NAP} have a huge pick but they do tremendous work at underage bring in outside coaches ect shame that there is not a Munster & All Ireland Club championship as then we would see them up against best teams in Country.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 572 - 21/09/2020 14:10:26    2293394

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "I'm sure countless teams have those types of regrets over the years, I've alot of relations from oulart ( my mother is originally from there) and they see the 2016 all ireland semi final as a missed opportunity, they feel they showed NAP too much respect and didn't tear into them until the final 20 mins, there was controversy over NAPs goal, came from a 65 dropped short, Lynch didn't lift it properly and lifted it a 2nd time ( don't know the rule myself), also NAP midfield on the day of Alan Dempsey and Will O'Donoghue dominated, Oulart bit like showing NAP too much respect created their own wound as their influential midfielder David Redmond suffered a bad concussion early in the game but played on( coliated with a teammate), possibly a factor in NAP dominating that sector, he actually missed the intercounty campaign that year due to the concussion. They were probably the best 2 teams in the country that year certainly a level ahead of Cushendall and Sarsfields of Galway in the other semi."
What can I tell you Wexico. "Life's a bitch and then you die or else you marry one"
Hope next year's strawberries are sweeter than the grapes for you.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1178 - 21/09/2020 19:02:08    2293447

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "What can I tell you Wexico. "Life's a bitch and then you die or else you marry one"
Hope next year's strawberries are sweeter than the grapes for you."
Few posters were pointing out NAP missed opportunities or regrets over the years and i was pointing out that plenty of teams have similar scenarios, I've no affiliation to Oulart and made yourself look like a bit of a dope...

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2650 - 21/09/2020 21:30:24    2293471

Link

Replying To clooney:  "NAP had one of those special performance that everything that they tries worked O Donovan & English massive loss to Doon but some of there better known players were so passive it was hard to believe diden't lay a finger on the NAP lads.

Taking J Ryan from midfield was also a terrible call they were 6 points adrift when they send him in to full forward when little ball went after that.

I can never understand why teams allow the opposition to dictate the tactics.

Clearly NAP like to play a lot of short puckouts with R Lynch sitting back in the pocket leaving space in there own full forward line for Dempsey Casey Breen to exploit so why dident Doon push up on them mark the sweeper as well if necessary.

They {NAP} have a huge pick but they do tremendous work at underage bring in outside coaches ect shame that there is not a Munster & All Ireland Club championship as then we would see them up against best teams in Country."
Brilliant analysis of the game Clooney but I wouldn't necessarily say it was a terrible mistake by Doon to move Josh Ryan in full forward it was a risk and hindsight is a great thing, I don't think it had that much of an effect on the result, they were 6 points down and the Na Piarsaigh full back line were well on top against the Doon full forward line, Doon had to try something send in the big man on the edge of the square and in fairness he won penalty at the start of the second half but Mike Casey got to grips with him after that. Doon midfield suffered alright after they moved j Ryan but that is where I think the lost of Darragh O'Donovan really showed.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 721 - 21/09/2020 21:42:04    2293474

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Few posters were pointing out NAP missed opportunities or regrets over the years and i was pointing out that plenty of teams have similar scenarios, I've no affiliation to Oulart and made yourself look like a bit of a dope..."
Take no notice wexico15.
You have his number, except more than a bit,,,

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 906 - 21/09/2020 22:58:43    2293486

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Hard to call them best in the country when they've never bet Cuala or Ballyhale, personally I'd have them in the top 4 along with those 2 and Ballygunner."
Well plenty of people calling Ballyhale the best despite the fact they have never beaten NaP

Breezy (Limerick) - Posts: 1106 - 22/09/2020 11:22:01    2293534

Link

Replying To Breezy:  "Well plenty of people calling Ballyhale the best despite the fact they have never beaten NaP"
Fair point, they've never beat Cuala either, suppose you could argue Cuala and Ballyhale have done back to back All Ireland's which NAP haven't, only done 1 limerick back to back. Shows how the result of a county championship can impact the national picture, for example last year NAP would be viewed has a more difficult proposition than Patrickswell, in football Corofin have won 1 or 2 of their recent Galway finals after a replay before winning an All Ireland.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2650 - 22/09/2020 12:19:39    2293546

Link