Leitrim Forum

The Future of Leitrim GAA

(Oldest Posts First)

The silence on this forum in relation to our county team going forward is frightening and it is indicative of the general malaise that exists. One small whimper at last county board meeting. Only about one third of delegates present.
Word from the panel is not good at all. One of our best defenders walking out of a team meeting because he was sick and tired listening to the exploits of the '94 team. None of the management team knew anything about Paul Broderick from Carlow. No plan in place for the hard running midfielder Murphy.
As for the drinking and ill discipline, well i'll leave that alone.
Our poor Junior team are now being hung out to dry with players being used for a minute or two on Senior panel when the games were over. Keith Keegan immediately springs to mind.
The County Executive have railroaded through the last two Senior team managements. Maybe its time some of them considered their positions.
The clubs through the local people, eg Lotto's etc send a lot of money to the Board every February/March for the Supporters Club. With the amounts of money being spent surely we (and i mean collectively as Gaels of Leitrim), deserve better.
I dont have the answers but im sure there are people out there who do.
Mickey Quinn, Mickey Martin, Frank Holohan, Dan Meehan and Ollie Honeyman were never too bothered about Skinny tracksuits, beanie hats or sleeveless jackets with their initials on. Or colour co-ordinated training gear. And while im not denying they were beaten more often than winning at least they fought with pride till the final whistle.
Is it too much to ask for somebody to try to restore a little bit of pride ??

williewonka (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 20/07/2017 13:12:23    2019933

Link

Replying To williewonka:  "The silence on this forum in relation to our county team going forward is frightening and it is indicative of the general malaise that exists. One small whimper at last county board meeting. Only about one third of delegates present.
Word from the panel is not good at all. One of our best defenders walking out of a team meeting because he was sick and tired listening to the exploits of the '94 team. None of the management team knew anything about Paul Broderick from Carlow. No plan in place for the hard running midfielder Murphy.
As for the drinking and ill discipline, well i'll leave that alone.
Our poor Junior team are now being hung out to dry with players being used for a minute or two on Senior panel when the games were over. Keith Keegan immediately springs to mind.
The County Executive have railroaded through the last two Senior team managements. Maybe its time some of them considered their positions.
The clubs through the local people, eg Lotto's etc send a lot of money to the Board every February/March for the Supporters Club. With the amounts of money being spent surely we (and i mean collectively as Gaels of Leitrim), deserve better.
I dont have the answers but im sure there are people out there who do.
Mickey Quinn, Mickey Martin, Frank Holohan, Dan Meehan and Ollie Honeyman were never too bothered about Skinny tracksuits, beanie hats or sleeveless jackets with their initials on. Or colour co-ordinated training gear. And while im not denying they were beaten more often than winning at least they fought with pride till the final whistle.
Is it too much to ask for somebody to try to restore a little bit of pride ??"
Great passionate post,but argument about lads wearing tracksuits with initials on them is a bit harsh most club teams even have this gear, it's up the county board to seek funding from hq to develop under age structures and especially club facilities, as part of my work I travel throughout Leitrim and some senior clubs facilities are very poor, how do you expect the next generation to stick at the game when basic facilities are poor

golfcar (Roscommon) - Posts: 60 - 20/07/2017 17:40:47    2020158

Link

Couldn't agree more and I have been consistent about this throughout. When discussing this and evaluating the present set up both county teams and county board I urge people to forget about the personalities and think solely of their credentials, their performances in their roles thus far and their ability to get us out of this mess. In 90% of the cases you would have to say no. Players can do something about the set up, no need of a strike but a vote of no confidence would surely make the County Board look at better candidates. But such is their knowledge of modern day football I shudder to think who they might suggest after their last 2 appointments.
You always emphasise that players should leave their county jersey number in a better place than when they first got it but surely the county board should have the same mantra.
As I said earlier when discussing this keep the focus on what's being done on the field and at board level, you must not get sidetracked by the persons personalities as most of the people I am critical of are very decent hardworking people but they are out of their depth. Throw them a lifeline and relieve them of their duties.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 21/07/2017 08:12:37    2020366

Link

Get on the phone to Rory Gallagher now....

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 31/07/2017 21:16:17    2026951

Link

Rory Gallagher will most likely be managing his native Fermanagh next year - I would believe that deal is already done

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 465 - 31/07/2017 21:55:33    2026995

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "Get on the phone to Rory Gallagher now...."
I agree 100% give him 50/60 grand in a brown envelope and let him have full control of the set up. I gurantee lads will appear that haven't showed up to date as they will see a glimmer of hope for our beloved we county, a county that has been let down time and time again by the county boards always taking the cheap, short sighted option. The people of this county and the players deserve much better.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 296 - 31/07/2017 22:17:52    2027010

Link

If Leitrim as a county isn't going to continue to stagnate the county board needs to make unfortunate decisions by saying thank you but good bye to Benny Guckian and his crew. They then need to become radical and appoint Senior, U21, junior and U17 managers who are progressive and have the capabilities for the job. They also need to appoint a paid physical development officer who will oversee all of our inter-county teams S&C programs and assist clubs in putting their own S&C structures in place. This needs to happen within the next few weeks however, so that the new management teams will be able to assess our players over the course of the championship before trials. If the county board don't have the foresight to implement these changes I would hope that the 2017 panel would let it be known that they would like change as it is well known that many players don't feel like the current bunch are of required standard. Finally, if this all fails the clubs need to cop on and force change as in the long term stronger county teams is better for every club, whereas at the moment clubs are releasing players to the county team with little value in return. When looking for names start with the best and work down i.e. Declan Darcy, James Horan, Rory Gallagher, Pillar Caffery, John Evans, Pat Flanagan, Peter Canavan, The McEntees/McConville - Money and the fact we have a young team where improvement is guaranteed will be an incentive to most coaches. Even Rooney/O'Donoghoe who were treated poorly to say the least by the county board would be a good appointment.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 31/07/2017 23:10:53    2027052

Link

Replying To harleys:  "I agree 100% give him 50/60 grand in a brown envelope and let him have full control of the set up. I gurantee lads will appear that haven't showed up to date as they will see a glimmer of hope for our beloved we county, a county that has been let down time and time again by the county boards always taking the cheap, short sighted option. The people of this county and the players deserve much better."
Did u buy a club cairde ticket yourself yet?

Castelfore (Leitrim) - Posts: 49 - 31/07/2017 23:12:58    2027054

Link

Leitrim should go all out for Terry Hyland.
Won 3 u21 ulster titles with Cavan, took them to all-ireland quarter final and division 1 of the NFL.

He would be interested too

HuddHastings (Longford) - Posts: 38 - 01/08/2017 12:04:38    2027272

Link

Existing management are staying in place for another apparently. Players are on board with them.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 01/08/2017 12:34:34    2027298

Link

Replying To LeitrimWay:  "If Leitrim as a county isn't going to continue to stagnate the county board needs to make unfortunate decisions by saying thank you but good bye to Benny Guckian and his crew. They then need to become radical and appoint Senior, U21, junior and U17 managers who are progressive and have the capabilities for the job. They also need to appoint a paid physical development officer who will oversee all of our inter-county teams S&C programs and assist clubs in putting their own S&C structures in place. This needs to happen within the next few weeks however, so that the new management teams will be able to assess our players over the course of the championship before trials. If the county board don't have the foresight to implement these changes I would hope that the 2017 panel would let it be known that they would like change as it is well known that many players don't feel like the current bunch are of required standard. Finally, if this all fails the clubs need to cop on and force change as in the long term stronger county teams is better for every club, whereas at the moment clubs are releasing players to the county team with little value in return. When looking for names start with the best and work down i.e. Declan Darcy, James Horan, Rory Gallagher, Pillar Caffery, John Evans, Pat Flanagan, Peter Canavan, The McEntees/McConville - Money and the fact we have a young team where improvement is guaranteed will be an incentive to most coaches. Even Rooney/O'Donoghoe who were treated poorly to say the least by the county board would be a good appointment."
Even Rooney/O'Donoghoe who were treated poorly to say the least by the county board would be a good appointment.

Can you explain that statement

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 01/08/2017 12:43:26    2027304

Link

Guckian staying whether we like it or not. Here comes another year of dissapointment, false hope, pints and repetition. Sláinte.

LENOVO (Australia) - Posts: 38 - 01/08/2017 14:50:31    2027402

Link

So Laois have got a new manager with a track record. Wicklow have got John Evans, Carlow will have a bounce from last year's run and Antrim are coming down into division 4 who are investing money and resources. However, we have a brilliant crop of young players coming through and we are left with an inept management team where some in the squad have let it be known they don't have faith in yet the county board are letting the rot continue. Surely we need a big appointment before the quarter or Semi finals which will leave a big winter of S&C for the players to commit to which wont happen if this management team stays.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 29/08/2017 11:38:41    2039964

Link

Last year's Management are in place for the coming year with the backing of the players ... has been that way since an in house meeting after the Carlow game

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 328 - 29/08/2017 19:52:36    2040343

Link

We will finish 5th at best in the league

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 30/08/2017 11:00:51    2040644

Link

If that's the case I can see an awful lot of players not committing once more. Why has it not been announced publicly?

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 159 - 30/08/2017 11:07:30    2040647

Link

Replying To Dodgy_Pass:  "Last year's Management are in place for the coming year with the backing of the players ... has been that way since an in house meeting after the Carlow game"
I personally thought John Evans would have been good for Leitrim as he is a great motivator. Hopefully Guckian and co will come good in the league though I still have flashbacks of Carlow cutting through us like a knife through butter in the second half of the qualifier

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 30/08/2017 13:05:06    2040709

Link

Monday the 15th of October the county board are holding a meeting to discuss the club structures within the county, time to have our concerns raised and maybe be part of the start in kicking a bit of a start back into Leitrim football.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 30/09/2017 07:33:39    2051852

Link

Monday the 15th of October the county board are holding a meeting to discuss the club structures within the county, time to have our concerns raised and maybe be part of the start in kicking a bit of a start back into Leitrim football.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 868 - 30/09/2017 07:33:39    2051853

Link