Kerry Forum

Kerry 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "The hermit Euan makenna was on the last word this evening with Matt cooper and sennan Connell I only caught the last couple of minutes but it sounded interesting he mentioned that it's inevitable that Dublin will have to be split in 2 at some stage over all the money the are getting and they are getting more money than we first thought."
Ya I was listening to it and even Senan had to admit that the money Dublin was being pumped with was a 'big' part of their success. I mean the more you think about it the more shameful it is, given the sponsorship opportunities they have as well as the inherent socio-economic advantages that city enjoys it is absolutely ludicrous for them to be handed 50% of the GAA's funding.

As McKenna said Dublin have been given 1 million a year alone for the hurling and when other counties started to question this late last year what did Croke Park decided to do, give a token £15,000 at Laois, Westmeath and Antrim for hurling development!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 27/01/2017 21:32:44    1949340

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Ya I was listening to it and even Senan had to admit that the money Dublin was being pumped with was a 'big' part of their success. I mean the more you think about it the more shameful it is, given the sponsorship opportunities they have as well as the inherent socio-economic advantages that city enjoys it is absolutely ludicrous for them to be handed 50% of the GAA's funding.

As McKenna said Dublin have been given 1 million a year alone for the hurling and when other counties started to question this late last year what did Croke Park decided to do, give a token £15,000 at Laois, Westmeath and Antrim for hurling development!"
It is an abomination what the GAA are doing and I think unless every county stands up Now and says no more money to Dublin or we'll all pull our intercounty teams from competitions the better, the teams have the power to hit Duffy and his GAA cronies where it'll hurt them the most which is in their pockets. Do you think sky will hang around if there is trouble? Not a hope.
To steal a line from rage against the machine, we gotta take power back.
You'd have to wonder what's the big plan behind all this financial doping.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 28/01/2017 00:01:00    1949363

Link

I think it should be about levelling the playing field now rather than pulling the plug on Dublins funding. Whatever you say about them, Dublins reemergence as a force in football has been a good thing. They have spent the money well, put good structures in place, and the GAA now need to start to replicate this in other counties, without destroying what Dublin have built.

A strategic reduction in their funding along with a roll out of well planned underage programmes in other counties would be the way to do it. It will probably take a decade to see the results but it can be done. I doubt that any sensible Dub would deny that they have been given a big advantage over the past decade. They have the biggest population and will continue to get a lot of the funding but the GAA needs to use their template to improve things across the board.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2018 - 28/01/2017 10:03:12    1949380

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "It is an abomination what the GAA are doing and I think unless every county stands up Now and says no more money to Dublin or we'll all pull our intercounty teams from competitions the better, the teams have the power to hit Duffy and his GAA cronies where it'll hurt them the most which is in their pockets. Do you think sky will hang around if there is trouble? Not a hope.
To steal a line from rage against the machine, we gotta take power back.
You'd have to wonder what's the big plan behind all this financial doping."
They just want to keep the GAA strong in the face of the appeal of rugby and English soccer in the capital. Fair enough, but what they don't seem to comprehend (or more likely care about) is that to get to a situation where you see young fellas pucking a sliothar around some green in a Dublin suburban estate, you're probably massively discouraging young fellas in neighboring counties to ever take the game up seriously. They'll shrug their shoulders and say what's the point when the height of their counties ambition would be to keep Dublin to within 8 points of them in the Leinster Championship!

A revolt would be the only thing to really tackle this head on alright Kingdomboy. At a local and county level the GAA is too meek. I mean look at the influence the Kerry GAA have - if they took the lead and said enough and got the Cork, Tipp, Galway etc Co Boards on their side what could Croke Park actually do?
I think its something that needs to happen. Why not sabre rattle and say something like if this situation continues, Kerry will have to seriously consider whether they want to take part in such a financially lopsided competition. Hell look what the French and English rugby clubs were able to get out of the Heinken Cup organisiers 3 years back.

Its like the framework for the Peace Process 20 years ago: 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', either we are all equal or we are not.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 28/01/2017 10:38:17    1949382

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I think it should be about levelling the playing field now rather than pulling the plug on Dublins funding. Whatever you say about them, Dublins reemergence as a force in football has been a good thing. They have spent the money well, put good structures in place, and the GAA now need to start to replicate this in other counties, without destroying what Dublin have built.

A strategic reduction in their funding along with a roll out of well planned underage programmes in other counties would be the way to do it. It will probably take a decade to see the results but it can be done. I doubt that any sensible Dub would deny that they have been given a big advantage over the past decade. They have the biggest population and will continue to get a lot of the funding but the GAA needs to use their template to improve things across the board."
Gerry I can't agree with you sorry, because it's already probably gone too far,
The advantages they all ready have in population and industry and playing all their games in Croke park plus getting a free €12 million centre of excellence (and don't tell me that's for all of us how would a team from south Kerry or west cork travel 6 hours one way to use it) we've had to skimp and scrape for the last 10 years to get our 1 . Also we've had to pump 1 million in to Austin stacks and 5 million in Fitzgerald's stadium where the dubs get to use our national stadium , it's a disgrace and like euan makenna said last night the founders of the GAA would be turning in their graves if they knew what was happening to our organisation.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 28/01/2017 12:16:59    1949401

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "They just want to keep the GAA strong in the face of the appeal of rugby and English soccer in the capital. Fair enough, but what they don't seem to comprehend (or more likely care about) is that to get to a situation where you see young fellas pucking a sliothar around some green in a Dublin suburban estate, you're probably massively discouraging young fellas in neighboring counties to ever take the game up seriously. They'll shrug their shoulders and say what's the point when the height of their counties ambition would be to keep Dublin to within 8 points of them in the Leinster Championship!

A revolt would be the only thing to really tackle this head on alright Kingdomboy. At a local and county level the GAA is too meek. I mean look at the influence the Kerry GAA have - if they took the lead and said enough and got the Cork, Tipp, Galway etc Co Boards on their side what could Croke Park actually do?
I think its something that needs to happen. Why not sabre rattle and say something like if this situation continues, Kerry will have to seriously consider whether they want to take part in such a financially lopsided competition. Hell look what the French and English rugby clubs were able to get out of the Heinken Cup organisiers 3 years back.

Its like the framework for the Peace Process 20 years ago: 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed', either we are all equal or we are not."
Absolutely the hermit I mean if Tim Murphy spoke to a few of the other county chairmen I'm sure they could get something going of course Duffy would probably take a hard line and say no and it would probably mean we'd have no intercounty football for a few years but it would be worth it to send a massage that we won't lie down.
Also I don't buy this rubbish that Dublin getting all this money is to stave off the influence of soccer and rugby if that was the case how do they expect our games to grow in England and America! Where there are loads of different games.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 28/01/2017 12:30:04    1949403

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Absolutely the hermit I mean if Tim Murphy spoke to a few of the other county chairmen I'm sure they could get something going of course Duffy would probably take a hard line and say no and it would probably mean we'd have no intercounty football for a few years but it would be worth it to send a massage that we won't lie down.
Also I don't buy this rubbish that Dublin getting all this money is to stave off the influence of soccer and rugby if that was the case how do they expect our games to grow in England and America! Where there are loads of different games."
Oh I agree that whole were facing a battle against rugby/soccer in Dublin argument is hogwash. Every county is, do you not think soccer and rugby are not huge threats to the GAA in Limerick, Cork, Antrim, Waterford or Galway.

Look how popular underage soccer and basketball are in Tralee and Killarney and rugby is coming on leaps and bounds.

The days of the GAA being the only sport in school or in the village are gone, kids are trying their hands at all of them around the country and we all need money to try and keep as many as possible playing GAA.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 28/01/2017 13:26:40    1949411

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Gerry I can't agree with you sorry, because it's already probably gone too far,
The advantages they all ready have in population and industry and playing all their games in Croke park plus getting a free €12 million centre of excellence (and don't tell me that's for all of us how would a team from south Kerry or west cork travel 6 hours one way to use it) we've had to skimp and scrape for the last 10 years to get our 1 . Also we've had to pump 1 million in to Austin stacks and 5 million in Fitzgerald's stadium where the dubs get to use our national stadium , it's a disgrace and like euan makenna said last night the founders of the GAA would be turning in their graves if they knew what was happening to our organisation."
Yes but you need to be realistic. The GAA regard the Dublin project as a total success and would never pull the rug out from under them at this stage and undo a decade of work.

A fairer allocation of funding based on well prepared development programmes across the country is the best you will ever get IMO. Dublin will always get the biggest share due tho their population. I have no real issue with that. I'd agree that what has happened over the past decade was skewed and unfair but what's done is done.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2018 - 28/01/2017 14:29:03    1949430

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Oh I agree that whole were facing a battle against rugby/soccer in Dublin argument is hogwash. Every county is, do you not think soccer and rugby are not huge threats to the GAA in Limerick, Cork, Antrim, Waterford or Galway.

Look how popular underage soccer and basketball are in Tralee and Killarney and rugby is coming on leaps and bounds.

The days of the GAA being the only sport in school or in the village are gone, kids are trying their hands at all of them around the country and we all need money to try and keep as many as possible playing GAA."
I agree 100% I just wish the GAA would come out and be honest and tell what is the plan to save the rest of the country, or are they just slowly going to cut us off?

The hermit you are an educated man and far more educated than I am so where can you see this going ?

What will our county be in 100 years? Will it only be a place for dubs to go on their holidays will there be any indigenous Kerry people left ? Will our future generations all be living in Dublin cork and Galway suburbs? Now I know that's not the GAAs fault as it has to do with economics but it is scary.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 28/01/2017 14:39:38    1949435

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I agree 100% I just wish the GAA would come out and be honest and tell what is the plan to save the rest of the country, or are they just slowly going to cut us off?

The hermit you are an educated man and far more educated than I am so where can you see this going ?

What will our county be in 100 years? Will it only be a place for dubs to go on their holidays will there be any indigenous Kerry people left ? Will our future generations all be living in Dublin cork and Galway suburbs? Now I know that's not the GAAs fault as it has to do with economics but it is scary."
Jesus will you keep that quite, too much education is worse than none at all...

Look the trend towards mass urbaisation has been a facet of human civilization, particularly in the West, for the past 200 years. Ireland really only began to catch up with the rest in this regard for the 1960s so what we are seeing here today is what has happened in Britain 150 years ago you could argue.

What's the answer I don't know. I resent having to spend so much time in Dublin, but there's no prospect of a job in my line of work in Kerry. What boils my blood is that people who just want a regular 9-5 office job are also forced to the cities because outside farming, tourism and hospitality what else is there in Kerry for most of us to work at?
Dublin will continue to attract people because all the Gov seems to care about is creating jobs there and worrying about what goes on there to the detriment of anywhere else.
But there must be something that can be done to keep our provincial towns and villages as attractive places to live, to use the possibilities of broadband to encourage more decentralization of companies and industries to allow people live in their own counties.

I just thing the GAA at a county level has to be more pro-active, once the Dublin funding issue has been dealt with they need to, as I said earlier, try and provide incentives to keep players wanting to play for Kerry be it through job offers, educational grants, scholarships etc. Its the only way we can compete in my view.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 28/01/2017 15:38:48    1949449

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Jesus will you keep that quite, too much education is worse than none at all...

Look the trend towards mass urbaisation has been a facet of human civilization, particularly in the West, for the past 200 years. Ireland really only began to catch up with the rest in this regard for the 1960s so what we are seeing here today is what has happened in Britain 150 years ago you could argue.

What's the answer I don't know. I resent having to spend so much time in Dublin, but there's no prospect of a job in my line of work in Kerry. What boils my blood is that people who just want a regular 9-5 office job are also forced to the cities because outside farming, tourism and hospitality what else is there in Kerry for most of us to work at?
Dublin will continue to attract people because all the Gov seems to care about is creating jobs there and worrying about what goes on there to the detriment of anywhere else.
But there must be something that can be done to keep our provincial towns and villages as attractive places to live, to use the possibilities of broadband to encourage more decentralization of companies and industries to allow people live in their own counties.

I just thing the GAA at a county level has to be more pro-active, once the Dublin funding issue has been dealt with they need to, as I said earlier, try and provide incentives to keep players wanting to play for Kerry be it through job offers, educational grants, scholarships etc. Its the only way we can compete in my view."
Well thank you for that the hermit , things are a little bit clearer to me now, you'd be wondering what the Healy raes and our other politions are doing to help! Probably nothing, there in their jobs now so they can sit back and milk the system, I feel awful sorry for your self and other good Kerry folk lwho have to leave our county for work, more than likely my young lad will have to take flight someday as well as there is nothing here for him.
But like you say the GAA can't sort out everything but they can sort out the players in some way ,that would be a start but I won't hold my breath.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12165 - 28/01/2017 17:10:33    1949467

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Well thank you for that the hermit , things are a little bit clearer to me now, you'd be wondering what the Healy raes and our other politions are doing to help! Probably nothing, there in their jobs now so they can sit back and milk the system, I feel awful sorry for your self and other good Kerry folk lwho have to leave our county for work, more than likely my young lad will have to take flight someday as well as there is nothing here for him.
But like you say the GAA can't sort out everything but they can sort out the players in some way ,that would be a start but I won't hold my breath."
We might be fecked as a county Kb1 but we should at least go down fighting.

TheGhost1 (Kerry) - Posts: 24 - 29/01/2017 13:15:55    1949722

Link

Replying To TheGhost1:  "We might be fecked as a county Kb1 but we should at least go down fighting."
No fear of that, we're not the Kingdom for nothing.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 29/01/2017 20:22:35    1949878

Link

Glenbigh-Glencar gave that Mayo crowd some hammering pity about Kenmare. They were in the lead up until the last couple of minutes of normal time.

Still its great to have another Kerry club represented we've certainly an impressive record since these competitions started.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5927 - 29/01/2017 22:13:58    1949935

Link