Kerry Forum

Team for semi

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To anglonorman:  "Congrats to Dublin for going for it and winning it. All due respect to Fitz & the management team but that was the worst display of coaching I have ever seen watching Kerry for years, taking off Paul Geaney & putting on a defender when the game was tied? Leaving the worst player on the pitch David Moran, there was no gameplan it seemed for the 2nd half clearly. Thanks for 2014 fitz but we need a manager with more tactical nous and has a cutting edge to his character, hopefully Jack o Connor will come back as no way would we have lost that game today. I commend most of our players for battling but David Moran & Brian Sheehan need to go asap. Time for a new manager and young blood."

I amazed at that post, clearly a lazy keyboard warrior, David Moran is a very good footballer. Kerry gave everything yoday. EF had that team willing to go through a brick wall. Maybe the penny might drop that this is a serious Dublin team and EF nearly won this game.
Be careful what you wish for.

AthCliath (Dublin) - Posts: 4347 - 29/08/2016 01:59:24    1907258

Link

Calls for EF's head are ridiculous. He got his tactics spot on for that game. His year is up and I think he will decide to go. Personally, I hope he stays on. He has some great young players coming thru to replace those that will leave. i also wouldnt mind seeing Donie Buckley back in the set up.

aidan64 (Kerry) - Posts: 575 - 29/08/2016 09:15:24    1907308

Link

Replying To anglonorman:  "Congrats to Dublin for going for it and winning it. All due respect to Fitz & the management team but that was the worst display of coaching I have ever seen watching Kerry for years, taking off Paul Geaney & putting on a defender when the game was tied? Leaving the worst player on the pitch David Moran, there was no gameplan it seemed for the 2nd half clearly. Thanks for 2014 fitz but we need a manager with more tactical nous and has a cutting edge to his character, hopefully Jack o Connor will come back as no way would we have lost that game today. I commend most of our players for battling but David Moran & Brian Sheehan need to go asap. Time for a new manager and young blood."
David Moran was one of the best midfielders in the country over the the past two years! This comment is from someone with little or no knowledge of the game

Joe_Brollys_Hat (Leitrim) - Posts: 15 - 29/08/2016 10:08:13    1907369

Link

Firstly congratulation to Dublin on winning a titanic tussle. Kerry gave everything[mighty proud of them]. No disgrace losing to this Dublin team. Yesterday signaled the end of an era regards a few old warriors. These warriors have given me so much joy down the tears. Good luch to them now in whatever ventures they pursue. Congratulations to our minors[exhibition of football] on reaching the final. 3 in a row beckons i believe. The county will be down for a while but we will re-group as we always do. The future is rosy with lots of players emirging between minor and our junior teams. Will view the game later and post more.

kerry74 (Kerry) - Posts: 1354 - 29/08/2016 10:26:05    1907389

Link

Some match - the performance was there unlike last year and i salute all concerned. Bearing in mind we hardly touched the ball for first 25 mins it was some achievement to bring this game down to the wire. There is no doubt Dublin were worthy winners and I felt we were gone with 10 minutes to go.
Dublin's fitness was the major difference between the teams. In fairness the 50/50 calls generally balanced themselves out BUT Crowley incident near the end should have resulted in a Kerry free. We have a bit to go yet to catch Dublin but we have made very steady improvement since last years final and with the further addition of new faces to the panel going forward there is good reason to feel optimistic. The minors were very good yesterday.

traleeexile (Kerry) - Posts: 732 - 29/08/2016 11:33:08    1907454

Link

Was disappointed yesterday but we showed up and brought it down to the wire. Kudos to the players and management. Calling for EF's resignation is just daft. What did he do wrong yesterday? We did much better than last September and with a bit of luck could have come out on top against clearly superior opposition.

If there's one criticism I think we need to look at the number of frees conceded. We won't ever beat Dublin if we give them that many tap overs.

Outside of that the future is very very bright from a Kerry point of view. Enright, griffin, Begley, morely, Crowley, Murphy, JOD, Geaney and a few others are all relatively young and there are some absolutely top class young players and juniors coming up. It may take several years but we'll be back on top again.

On another note yesterday was probably the swansong for AOM and Marc O'Se. Wishing them well. Cooper and Star may decide they've had enough as well. We could do with keeping these guys around, probably in an impact sub role, but would be totally understandable if that didn't appeal given the careers they've had.

Lastly, best of luck to both teams in the final.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2018 - 29/08/2016 11:58:39    1907473

Link

Replying To Joe_Brollys_Hat:  "David Moran was one of the best midfielders in the country over the the past two years! This comment is from someone with little or no knowledge of the game"
Could not agree more David Moran was fantastic, the lads gave it everything and died with their boots on.

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 29/08/2016 13:23:36    1907556

Link

Some game, game of the century alas it wasn't Kerry's day, unfortunately I don't think Mayo will do anything to stop them either.
We all know what the outcome will be....

club51 (Mayo) - Posts: 343 - 29/08/2016 13:32:29    1907564

Link

Lads, how are ye saying Fitz got the tactics spot on! At 9 -5 down, a score that really flattered us as the dubs were going about their business at ease, we were thrown a life line and had a 5 point advantage going into the second half! The dubs were visibly rattled, we needed to do what donegal did in 2014 and push on and strike while the iron was hot! Instead we stood off them, let them get a couple of early scores to settle the nerves and then they demolished us 13 -6 in the second half!

Regards tactics, he totally got it wrong again! Last year we watched long ball after long ball be sent into Donaghy and come straight back out and Fitz came up with nothing! He did the same the start of this game but was also firing high balls into Gooch when he had 2 or 3 lads on him!

Last year he took of JOD and this year he took off geaney when the game was there to be won, it's where a manager needs to earn his crust and he made horrendous decisions! What message does it send to the lads on the pitch when the game is tied and u replace your best forward on the pitch with a corner back?

In 2013 Fitz was fresh and did brilliantly, however losing to Dublin that year has effected him and he is terrified of the dubs, when ever opportunity to beat them has presented itself he has crumbled!

Yesterday I saw a minor team play kerry football, attacking without fear and going out to win the game! The seniors were the total opposite, they were afraid to let loose and the football they played was alien to Kerry football!

We need a manager who doesn't have an inferiority complex with the dubs, someone who will play kerry football the kerry way and Eamonn Fitz is not the man! He has had 3 chances with the dubs and come up short every time

as_ky (Kerry) - Posts: 535 - 29/08/2016 18:07:06    1907769

Link

Replying To club51:  "Could not agree more David Moran was fantastic, the lads gave it everything and died with their boots on."
Moran kicked some awful wides, one crucial one in the last 10 mins with BJK free 10 yards from him, overhit a pass to BJK when BJK had acres of space. I applaud him for his effort but no way did he put his stamp on the game when he was badly needed.

anglonorman (Kerry) - Posts: 54 - 29/08/2016 23:06:28    1907872

Link

As -ky you are harsh on Fitz he is about the best manager about he inherited an ageing team and 'young ones ' who were humiliated by Cork in U21 final of 2011 score Cork 2 23 Kerry 0 9 on that team Kelly,Crowley ,Griffin ,Lyne ,James O Donoghue,Geaney Sherwood all of whom won All Ireland senior under Fitz and played 2 epic semis against Dublin albeit losing both and another final Dubious refereeing decisions rather than bad calls by Fitz and co were the major factors in 2 of those defeats I saw what went on yesterday M O Sè would seem to have been sent in to shore up Two point lead between the decision to make the change and the arrival of OSe official raising the board and giving the all clear for him to enter Dublin tagged on 2 quick fire points the plan went up in smoke due to circumstances beyond their control Had it worked out Tactical Genius it doesn't work out and every Kerry critic becomes a manager better than Fitz I hope he stays to see some of his Hogan Cup heroes in Pobal Scoil Corcha Dhuine hammer down places on the Kerry team he is the man for the job and he will lead to Kingdom come again

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 29/08/2016 23:09:25    1907873

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "That's the problem, if the dubs shut down the gooch they'll shut the whole team down. We're a more ballanced team without him unfortunatly."
James o Donghue should have started ahead of Gooch yesterday, Gooch to be brutally honest here has been a passenger on the team since he came back from injury. Missed an easy point at a crucial time yesterday, we hoped for some magic from him again when it matters most but it didn't happen sadly.

anglonorman (Kerry) - Posts: 54 - 29/08/2016 23:12:11    1907876

Link

Replying To as_ky:  "Lads, how are ye saying Fitz got the tactics spot on! At 9 -5 down, a score that really flattered us as the dubs were going about their business at ease, we were thrown a life line and had a 5 point advantage going into the second half! The dubs were visibly rattled, we needed to do what donegal did in 2014 and push on and strike while the iron was hot! Instead we stood off them, let them get a couple of early scores to settle the nerves and then they demolished us 13 -6 in the second half!

Regards tactics, he totally got it wrong again! Last year we watched long ball after long ball be sent into Donaghy and come straight back out and Fitz came up with nothing! He did the same the start of this game but was also firing high balls into Gooch when he had 2 or 3 lads on him!

Last year he took of JOD and this year he took off geaney when the game was there to be won, it's where a manager needs to earn his crust and he made horrendous decisions! What message does it send to the lads on the pitch when the game is tied and u replace your best forward on the pitch with a corner back?

In 2013 Fitz was fresh and did brilliantly, however losing to Dublin that year has effected him and he is terrified of the dubs, when ever opportunity to beat them has presented itself he has crumbled!

Yesterday I saw a minor team play kerry football, attacking without fear and going out to win the game! The seniors were the total opposite, they were afraid to let loose and the football they played was alien to Kerry football!

We need a manager who doesn't have an inferiority complex with the dubs, someone who will play kerry football the kerry way and Eamonn Fitz is not the man! He has had 3 chances with the dubs and come up short every time"
Toward the end of the 1st half yesterday I saw the spark & the swagger back in our players that I haven't seen in a while. It was as if the shackles were off them and they could express themselves, it was as if our energy levels went up 5 or 6 notches. It was the traditional Kerry way of playing as our minors played earlier in the day. At the start of the Final last year I saw a team flat-footed and playing with hesitancy. it was the worst I ever seen a Kerry team prepared for a Final, what I'm getting at is that maybe Fitz has negated that swagger with too much overtraining or putting the fear of losing rather than winning into the players. I have the utmost respect for Fitz as a man but if he is to stay on he has to change drastically or maybe listen to his management team more as it seemed Diarmuid Murphy was pleading with him again yesterday to change something on the pitch.

anglonorman (Kerry) - Posts: 54 - 29/08/2016 23:41:21    1907891

Link

Replying To as_ky:  "Lads, how are ye saying Fitz got the tactics spot on! At 9 -5 down, a score that really flattered us as the dubs were going about their business at ease, we were thrown a life line and had a 5 point advantage going into the second half! The dubs were visibly rattled, we needed to do what donegal did in 2014 and push on and strike while the iron was hot! Instead we stood off them, let them get a couple of early scores to settle the nerves and then they demolished us 13 -6 in the second half!

We need a manager who doesn't have an inferiority complex with the dubs, someone who will play kerry football the kerry way and Eamonn Fitz is not the man! He has had 3 chances with the dubs and come up short every time"
I think you have summed it up fairly well there as-ky.
I said a few pages back that we'd need to score 23/24 points to beat the dubs so we'd have to go out and try and play attacking football but like you say fear has a hold of Fitzy it's had him for a while now , and unfortunatly he'l for ever be known as Kerry manager who couldn't beat Dublin ,
I can't see Eamon staying on to be honest he must be emotionally shattered and if he wants to go then fair play to him and thanks for the 4 Munster titles and the allireland in 2014 .
If Fitzy decides to go then I hope the county board give Stephen Wallace the job, he had our juniors playing lovely football.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12172 - 29/08/2016 23:46:41    1907892

Link

If we played football the Kerry way we would have been destroyed.
Eamonn did get the tactics right we just got off to a slow start and couldn't get out of our own half for 15 mins.
As hard as this is to take Dublin have mostly better players than us at the moment.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1226 - 30/08/2016 07:30:27    1907906

Link

Was JOD injured or just off form in training ?

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 30/08/2016 15:25:11    1908158

Link

Replying To TheRightStuff:  "Was JOD injured or just off form in training ?"
Like Anthony Maher he's played no football since the final last year.

westkerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1226 - 30/08/2016 17:36:01    1908259

Link