Kerry Forum

Kerry v Dublin NFL 2012

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When all is said and done it is still only the first round but there were encouraging signs there; It appears that there has been a big emphasis on fitness as opposed to ball play and sharpness but that is expected this time of year.
Of the 6 backs the usual were standing out, Marc, Tomas was outstanding, Killian, Enright did the simple things right which is perfect for a corner back, Crowley was fair in his first outing but will get better with matches, of the newcomers McGuire impressed the most was a constant "dirty ball" winner from breaks, was always available for offloads from keeper/fullback line and supported the half forward line, Sheehan is building on the form shown last year and he is def the main man this year for midfield, has all the attributes, high fielding, fitness and can score from play and frees, he is an awesome sight in full flight taking the pass from the half forward and steaming forward, Scanlon looked rusty but I would start him again next week with Maher in reserve as he is only returning from injury,
Forwards lacked sharpness, only Darran, Paul (who touched the ball 40 times over the 70 minutes) BJ Keane looked sharp, O'Donoghue was impressive but Star and Sean Ban looked out of place, The subs, Callaghan but more importantly Paddy Curtin that got the forward 6 moving, it was interesting to see Star on the wing but the movement of Curtin/O'Donoghue inside for last 20 was very good,
Some good some bad but if we win our home games we should get the semi final spot, next up Armagh, I expect the same team to start, but teh tighter pitch might suit teh northern boys

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 06/02/2012 20:13:21    1106932

Link

I notice someone is missing....

moomoo (Kerry) - Posts: 4023 - 08/02/2012 10:41:19    1107705

Link

Moomoo
Kerry

I notice someone is missing…..

Don't follow you.. explain?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 08/02/2012 11:26:51    1107736

Link

I think Moomoo means Snuf!

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 08/02/2012 11:53:11    1107759

Link

Cute_Kerry_Hoor
County: Kerry

1107759 I think Moomoo means Snuf!

Ah I was re-reading my post baove where I went through the team.. ok I missed out on the Keeper.. but sure he himself goes missing on a regular basis when a high ball lands in the small square

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 08/02/2012 12:08:06    1107772

Link

Kealy made a few silly mistakes the last night by putting our lads under needless pressure. He played one blind ball to Marc in the second half, only for Marc's awareness it could have been costly.

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 08/02/2012 12:29:03    1107787

Link

Cute_Kerry_Hoor

Kealy made a few silly mistakes the last night by putting our lads under needless pressure. He played one blind ball to Marc in the second half, only for Marc's awareness it could have been costly.

He put a crazy one over the sideline in the first half aswell!

moomoo (Kerry) - Posts: 4023 - 08/02/2012 12:32:43    1107790

Link

Tomás Mac an Staoir has to get a serious run out at some stage, he is a very good shot stopper, at over 6 feet is very strong under the high ball and commands his square, more importantly too if Jack persists with Marc at full back, you would have a situation where the full back and goal keeper are from the same club, that surely would give Kerry a serious advantage in this area of the field.

I saw last year when Tomás was in goals the were a few situations where the full back line would use Tomas as an outlet to get out of traouble or creat space, there is a reluctance to do so when Keely is between the posts.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 08/02/2012 13:57:09    1107847

Link

To be fair to Kealy he doesn't drop any high balls. It's more his presence under them that can be an issue.
If he imposed himself a bit more it could solve it. Bit of confidence in doing that would go a long way.

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 08/02/2012 14:27:28    1107861

Link

Superglue

To be fair to Kealy he doesn't drop any high balls. It's more his presence under them that can be an issue.
If he imposed himself a bit more it could solve it. Bit of confidence in doing that would go a long way.

I haven't been his biggest fan, but yes I do agree with what you are saying but in saying that his "presence " could cause uneasiness within the back 3, he has everything else, his kick outs are superb, and he is a good shot stopper, I've been behind the goals he is a good communicator also, I would imagine that Diarmuid Murphy (being a selector/goalkeeping coach) has been working with him over the winter months in strengthening any weaknesses that are present, the high ball being one of them.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 08/02/2012 14:55:21    1107880

Link

Horsebox77

Tomás Mac an Staoir has to get a serious run out at some stage, he is a very good shot stopper, at over 6 feet is very strong under the high ball and commands his square, more importantly too if Jack persists with Marc at full back, you would have a situation where the full back and goal keeper are from the same club, that surely would give Kerry a serious advantage in this area of the field.

I saw last year when Tomás was in goals the were a few situations where the full back line would use Tomas as an outlet to get out of traouble or creat space, there is a reluctance to do so when Keely is between the posts.

In my opinion, I dont think Mac an Staoir is up to it. Sure he's a good shot stopper but thats the easy part of a keeper. His kick out aren't great aways down the middle cant give it to with wings. I dont think he's that strong under the high ball iv seen him struggle big time a few time with them

moomoo (Kerry) - Posts: 4023 - 08/02/2012 15:04:08    1107885

Link

A few stats from the last night lads, interesting stuff:

Possessions: Galvin (40), Tomas (35), Sheehan (34), Killian (24), McGuire (22)

Kick outs won: Kerry won 26 of 49, Galvin (4), Sheehan, Killian & Tomas (3 each), Maher (2)

Assists: Tomas, BJK & Galvin (3 each), Darran (2)

Tackles: Enright (7), McGuire & Galvin (6), Sheehan & Maher (5)

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 09/02/2012 11:52:38    1108386

Link

Cute_Kerry_Hoor

A few stats from the last night lads, interesting stuff:

Possessions: Galvin (40), Tomas (35), Sheehan (34), Killian (24), McGuire (22)

Kick outs won: Kerry won 26 of 49, Galvin (4), Sheehan, Killian & Tomas (3 each), Maher (2)

Assists: Tomas, BJK & Galvin (3 each), Darran (2)

Tackles: Enright (7), McGuire & Galvin (6), Sheehan & Maher (5)

Ya I heard the Paul Galvin (40 possessions) in 70 minutes that's roughly one every minute and a half…. Some stat. In all fairness to Sly Hennessy and Kerry's eye the stats they produce are brilliant

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 09/02/2012 15:07:11    1108562

Link

Ah they are Horse, I always find them very interesting. Galvin's 40 possessions is a record I think since they started recording the stats for Kerry games. What also stood out for me was Anthony Maher's tackle count, 5 in total and he only played the second half. He threw out some hard and fair belts too.

Is he the most improved Kerry player in the last 12 months along with Darran O' Sullivan? I would think so.

Cute_Kerry_Hoor (Kerry) - Posts: 2518 - 09/02/2012 16:23:39    1108632

Link

Cute-Kerry-Hour

Totally agree with you, Maher was an above average club player but by god has he taken his chance with kerry Everyone, myself included assumed that Scanlon/Moran would be our midfield paring last year, Sheehan/Maher have worked up an excellant report and really compliment each other, what was lacking a few years back was the "drive" but that has been getting there gradually match by match, still think his shoulder on Canty in Killarney, set the tone for the Munster Final, really get teh players and crowd going.. fair play to him just proves that rough diamonds can become polished gems.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5002 - 09/02/2012 20:59:53    1108818

Link

Ehh, just in case anybody thinks that Im keeping quiet or anything, just go and read my last post!!!....just in case like!!!

Its a post written by a person with humility and graciousness from a county to whom arrogance and disrespect to the opposition are alien concepts....due to our manly honesty as a people!!

Regards,

Snufalufagus....Laochra Gael

Snufalufagus (Dublin) - Posts: 8100 - 09/02/2012 21:59:06    1108854

Link