Kerry Forum

Kerry Club

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I hear Renard have signed up with young islanders and have preserved the Valentia club for the coming season ' fair play Renard and Valantia I genuinely hope the amalgamation benefits both clubs going forward."
Amen to that. It would be so sad to see Valentia club go. An iconic club that produced Ger Lynch Ger Ó Driscoll and the great Micko Connell.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1638 - 07/02/2021 10:37:38    2330505

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Hi all.

Just a query for ye lads that I'm sure you've been asked 100 times before. How exactly does your club championship work with regard to the divisional sides we see competing in your senior club championship?

I know you have junior & intermediate clubs like every other county but I just have a few questions that you can hopefully help me out with.

I think I'm right in saying that you have certain clubs which are senior e.g. Crokes, Austin Stacks etc? They play senior championship obviously. But is there any circumstance which can arise where their players represent a divisional championship team? I wouldn't have thought so but maybe I'm wrong? Would a typical Divisional team be made up only of the best junior/intermediate players from the area, or can players from senior clubs be involved somehow as well?

Do junior and intermediate players play for their parish clubs in their championships and I assume at some point the best of them also get called up by the divisional championship team? Are they run in parallel? e.g. has a situation ever risen for example where Fossa would have a junior championship match at the same time the Div team were playing in senior?

I'm trying to work out if a similar championship could work in Donegal. But I don't think we'd have as many clubs as you have in Kerry.

Thanks!"
Donegal Championship Kerry Style

Eight Senior Clubs / The rest would have to Amalgamate

1. Glenties
2. Kilcar
3. St Eunans
4. Gweedore
5. Glenswilly
6. St Michaels
7. Bundoran
8. Glenfin

5 Divisional Teams (Trying to even the numbers and take geography into consideration)

A. Donegal South West
Killybegs /Glen / Ardara / Na Rossa / Dungloe / Maomh Mhurie

B. Donegal South
Ballyshannon / Pettigo / Ballintra / 4 Masters Donegal Town / St Nauls / Naomh Ultan

C. Donegal East
McCools / Convoy / Castlefin / Killygordon / Letterkenny Gaels / Newtowncunnigham / Lifford /

D. Fanad
Fanad / Termon / Milford / Downings / Cloghaneely

E. Innishowen
Buncrana / Malin / Urris / Carndonagh / Moville / Burt / Muff

You cant have more than 5 "Divisional" teams as they would be too weak. (in my opinion)

PROS
Higher standard of matches (In theory)

Divisional football is a fantastic idea. Getting weaker clubs together to amalgamate and play championship football. It should help the really good footballer playing on a weak team, playing with a stronger panel pf players at a higher standard. A really good County standard full back in a weak club would end up playing his football at midfield and mightn't be as good there and could be over looked. That's where divisional football could come in.....

CONS

I dont think proud clubs like Killybegs / 4 Masters or McCools would amalgamate, they would rather stick it out on their own.

Problems arise in how do you play it off... Bye's or Preliminary rounds may be needed, and if you think about a back door, good luck to you!

Managers.... who would pick them. In good teams they would be a fight for the job, in weak teams they would struggle to get one.

Players... some wont play if they dont get on with other clubs or if they dont like the manager or if the team is weak.

Teams. The first 15 normal picks itself, the problem i have seen over the years in Kerry divisional football is the subs. in a lot of cases the subs bench is made up of players from the managers club or clubs he is friendly with and good players are often overlooked.. politics.

I mentioned it to Frank Craig years ago that he should do an articke in the Donegal News of how a Kerry Style Championship would look and he said it would be too complicated and too unrealistic to even do an article about it...

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 07/02/2021 12:25:24    2330513

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Donegal Championship Kerry Style

1. Glenties
2. Kilcar
3. St Eunans
4. Gweedore
5. Glenswilly
6. St Michaels
7. Bundoran
8. Glenfin

5 Divisional Teams (Trying to even the numbers and take geography into consideration)

A. Donegal South West

B. Donegal South
Ballyshannon / Pettigo / Ballintra / 4 Masters Donegal Town / St Nauls / Naomh Ultan

C. Donegal East
McCools / Convoy / Castlefin / Killygordon / Letterkenny Gaels / Newtowncunnigham / Lifford /

D. Fanad

E. Innishowen

You cant have more than 5 "Divisional" teams as they would be too weak. (in my opinion)

PROS

Divisional football is a fantastic idea. Getting weaker clubs together to amalgamate and play championship football. It should help the really good footballer playing on a weak team, playing with a stronger panel pf players at a higher standard. A really good County standard full back in a weak club would end up playing his football at midfield and mightn't be as good there and could be over looked. That's where divisional football could come in.....

CONS

I dont think proud clubs like Killybegs / 4 Masters or McCools would amalgamate, they would rather stick it out on their own.

Problems arise in how do you play it off... Bye's or Preliminary rounds may be needed, and if you think about a back door, good luck to you!

Managers.... who would pick them. In good teams they would be a fight for the job, in weak teams they would struggle to get one.

Players... some wont play if they dont get on with other clubs or if they dont like the manager or if the team is weak.

Teams. The first 15 normal picks itself, the problem i have seen over the years in Kerry divisional football is the subs. in a lot of cases the subs bench is made up of players from the managers club or clubs he is friendly with and good players are often overlooked.. politics.

I mentioned it to Frank Craig years ago that he should do an articke in the Donegal News of how a Kerry Style Championship would look and he said it would be too complicated and too unrealistic to even do an article about it..."
You'd have to get those divisional teams playing together from U14, as it would take 10 years for a full buy in so it would have to be given the 1 years at least and then have it looked at to see weather to continue wit it or not.

For me it's a no brainer when you have small numbers it's great to be able to see the best talent from all clubs.

We have always had a lot of players from junior and intermediate clubs, I don't know it that's the case in other counties.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 07/02/2021 14:22:26    2330520

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "You'd have to get those divisional teams playing together from U14, as it would take 10 years for a full buy in so it would have to be given the 1 years at least and then have it looked at to see weather to continue wit it or not.

For me it's a no brainer when you have small numbers it's great to be able to see the best talent from all clubs.

We have always had a lot of players from junior and intermediate clubs, I don't know it that's the case in other counties."
Agreed. But it will never happen in Donegal. They are divils for change.

Donegal isn't too bad, I can't think of any player not on the panel that deserves to be there. 2 of the starting team and 4 of the subs came from non-senior clubs in the ulster final this year gone.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 07/02/2021 16:45:42    2330537

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Agreed. But it will never happen in Donegal. They are divils for change.

Donegal isn't too bad, I can't think of any player not on the panel that deserves to be there. 2 of the starting team and 4 of the subs came from non-senior clubs in the ulster final this year gone."
Ah fair enough if the Donegal system works then that's grand, there is a reason not everyone uses our system because its not for everyone :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 07/02/2021 22:47:27    2330594

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Donegal Championship Kerry Style

1. Glenties
2. Kilcar
3. St Eunans
4. Gweedore
5. Glenswilly
6. St Michaels
7. Bundoran
8. Glenfin

A. Donegal South West

B. Donegal South

C. Donegal East

D. Fanad

E. Innishowen

PROS

CONS

I mentioned it to Frank Craig years ago that he should do an articke in the Donegal News of how a Kerry Style Championship would look and he said it would be too complicated and too unrealistic to even do an article about it..."
My home club would be Naomh Ultan. Most of our existence has been at Intermediate level with periods down at Junior as well. I was lucky enough to win Championships at both levels in my playing days. Missed out on our one year in Senior Championship as I was in New York for a spell.

I think you're right in saying that something similar would never work in Donegal. There is too much pride and parochial rivalry there for it to ever take off. In the early 90s the south west clubs dominated club football in Donegal. Clubs like Killybegs and Naomh Columba would rightfully hope for a return to their glory days. There isn't a hope they'd join forces. It would be a similar story around the county I'd imagine.

I think it's fair to say that there are very few if any junior/intermediate players not involved with the county presently who should be there. I see it more of a challenge at underage. I'd still be of the belief that if you're from a traditionally strong club you have more of a chance of being selected for a county panel. That certainly was the case when I was growing up, although maybe not as much these days.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7232 - 08/02/2021 12:24:27    2330627

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Agreed. But it will never happen in Donegal. They are divils for change.

Donegal isn't too bad, I can't think of any player not on the panel that deserves to be there. 2 of the starting team and 4 of the subs came from non-senior clubs in the ulster final this year gone."
A big difference with Kerry though. 10 of the starting team against Cork came from non-Senior clubs. Donegal probably have more than 8 Senior clubs so that would definitely be a factor. From looking through the 15 against Cork, a lot come from strong intermediate clubs so if we had say 16 Senior clubs I think we'd only have 2 non Senior starters as well in Listry's Buckley and Clifford with Fossa.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 696 - 08/02/2021 14:01:00    2330642

Link

As well as probably Foley Ballydonoghue. Only 2 subs would Sherwood Firies and Paudie Clifford. Interesting to see.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 696 - 08/02/2021 14:03:01    2330643

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "A big difference with Kerry though. 10 of the starting team against Cork came from non-Senior clubs. Donegal probably have more than 8 Senior clubs so that would definitely be a factor. From looking through the 15 against Cork, a lot come from strong intermediate clubs so if we had say 16 Senior clubs I think we'd only have 2 non Senior starters as well in Listry's Buckley and Clifford with Fossa."
16 Senior clubs
16 Intermediate
16 Junior
The rest junior B
They play 4 groups of 4 and top 2 into quarter finals bottom teams into relegation semi.
Works well.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 120 - 08/02/2021 14:44:56    2330653

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "As well as probably Foley Ballydonoghue. Only 2 subs would Sherwood Firies and Paudie Clifford. Interesting to see."
Last generation we had Donncha Walsh Darran Ó'Sullivan Declan Ó'Sullivan and Paul Galvin Anthony Maher Brian Sheehan Shane Enright the O'sé's at certain times all outside of senior kerry15, there are more I'm forgetting I'm sure like Séamus Scanlon.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 08/02/2021 17:49:05    2330707

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Last generation we had Donncha Walsh Darran Ó'Sullivan Declan Ó'Sullivan and Paul Galvin Anthony Maher Brian Sheehan Shane Enright the O'sé's at certain times all outside of senior kerry15, there are more I'm forgetting I'm sure like Séamus Scanlon."
Pádraig Reidy Seán ó Sullivan Dónal Daly

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1638 - 08/02/2021 18:15:53    2330711

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Last generation we had Donncha Walsh Darran Ó'Sullivan Declan Ó'Sullivan and Paul Galvin Anthony Maher Brian Sheehan Shane Enright the O'sé's at certain times all outside of senior kerry15, there are more I'm forgetting I'm sure like Séamus Scanlon."
Killian Young is one that always comes to mind as playing novice ball only with Renard, along with Sean Bàn and Donnachadh.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5162 - 08/02/2021 18:56:31    2330724

Link

That's true, I forgot those lads, so we had the bones of 10 lads starting from junior and interested clubs.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12614 - 08/02/2021 22:02:15    2330756

Link