Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To peiledoir20:  "I hear there is a big name lined up to replace Fisher, sooner the better. Will need to hit the ground running in January."
Conor McGregor? Coach Kavanagh?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7163 - 15/12/2020 10:00:06    2322527

Link

This is an interesting article about Paul Fisher and why he had to give up the S&C job with Donegal. It might make people think before criticising people who do all this work on a voluntary basis.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/12/15/news/a-level-playing-field-donegal-coach-paul-fisher-laments-lack-of-resources-in-quest-to-close-gap-on-dublin-2160191/

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1735 - 15/12/2020 11:53:06    2322567

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "This is an interesting article about Paul Fisher and why he had to give up the S&C job with Donegal. It might make people think before criticising people who do all this work on a voluntary basis.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/12/15/news/a-level-playing-field-donegal-coach-paul-fisher-laments-lack-of-resources-in-quest-to-close-gap-on-dublin-2160191/"
Well said. People love throwing out the term S&C, despite having only a vague idea as to what it all actually comprises.
There is no blanket approach, each player will have his own individual needs. Managing all that on an amateur basis is an unenviable task.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7163 - 15/12/2020 13:17:34    2322601

Link

The idea that county teams would have all in heavin A and B matches the week of a final,makes no sense.Don't know if Bonner,McGuinness or the top managers of the present go down this road. Surely the heavy lifting would have been done by the final week.If a manager doesn't know his players, it's a problem. The final week should be fine tuning, shooting drills, game plan and game management, all of which Donegal fell down on against Cavan.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 288 - 15/12/2020 17:00:30    2322676

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "The idea that county teams would have all in heavin A and B matches the week of a final,makes no sense.Don't know if Bonner,McGuinness or the top managers of the present go down this road. Surely the heavy lifting would have been done by the final week.If a manager doesn't know his players, it's a problem. The final week should be fine tuning, shooting drills, game plan and game management, all of which Donegal fell down on against Cavan."
My own opinion is that the training was geared for the Dublin match and the Cavan game was not going to interupt that.The fine tuning and drills would have happened before the Dublin game.I am only surmising that they took that understandable gamble which would have left them in top shape for the S/F.Nothing less than that would have been any good for Dublin.If that was their approach I wouldn't blame them.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 700 - 15/12/2020 17:44:33    2322685

Link

Replying To gunman:  "My own opinion is that the training was geared for the Dublin match and the Cavan game was not going to interupt that.The fine tuning and drills would have happened before the Dublin game.I am only surmising that they took that understandable gamble which would have left them in top shape for the S/F.Nothing less than that would have been any good for Dublin.If that was their approach I wouldn't blame them."
The last couple of years have been about building a team for the Super 8's, Croke Park and Dublin... Athletic, organized and with plenty of pace - hence players like the Mchughs, Mogan, Niall O Donnell, etc

Unfortunately, this year the games were played in winter with heavier ground so we lost a bit of that advantage and our lack of physicality where we had to scrap for 50/50 balls was exposed

It would have been interesting to see the dubs play Cavan in a regional ground that hadn't the same surface as Croker... they still probably would have won but the margin might have been tighter .. Don't underestimate the advantage that Dublin have playing in Croke Park. They know they will always be playing on the best ground in the country and can develop a team perfectly suited to the pitch surface and dimensions... they can plan, to the exact inch, their game plan on the pitch. it's not a coincidence that the only time Dublin have been beaten recently in the league was outside of Croke Park where the pitch was more of a leveler

Not the end of the world and the team will be back stronger again... but team needs to be able to adapt to both opposition and conditions

LKGael (Donegal) - Posts: 234 - 18/12/2020 13:55:44    2323425

Link

Replying To LKGael:  "The last couple of years have been about building a team for the Super 8's, Croke Park and Dublin... Athletic, organized and with plenty of pace - hence players like the Mchughs, Mogan, Niall O Donnell, etc

Unfortunately, this year the games were played in winter with heavier ground so we lost a bit of that advantage and our lack of physicality where we had to scrap for 50/50 balls was exposed

It would have been interesting to see the dubs play Cavan in a regional ground that hadn't the same surface as Croker... they still probably would have won but the margin might have been tighter .. Don't underestimate the advantage that Dublin have playing in Croke Park. They know they will always be playing on the best ground in the country and can develop a team perfectly suited to the pitch surface and dimensions... they can plan, to the exact inch, their game plan on the pitch. it's not a coincidence that the only time Dublin have been beaten recently in the league was outside of Croke Park where the pitch was more of a leveler

Not the end of the world and the team will be back stronger again... but team needs to be able to adapt to both opposition and conditions"
No doubt a tight mucky provinchial ground would probably take Dublin down a wee bit as we see from league games.They even lose the odd league game in Croke Park,Monaghan beat them this year and I think it was the year before Tyrone beat them.The league however is one thing but I think no matter where they played their championship games they would probably win them but they are a very good team and Croke Park suits good teams.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 700 - 18/12/2020 23:20:21    2323601

Link

Replying To gunman:  "My own opinion is that the training was geared for the Dublin match and the Cavan game was not going to interupt that.The fine tuning and drills would have happened before the Dublin game.I am only surmising that they took that understandable gamble which would have left them in top shape for the S/F.Nothing less than that would have been any good for Dublin.If that was their approach I wouldn't blame them."
I would love to see this Donegal side at full strength playing in Croke Park, the past two seasons have seen us dogged by injuries by the time we get to the Super 8's, and we have also got caught in tight pitches (Castlebar and Armagh) in tight physical encounters, this exposed a weakness in our inside forward line, which Declan Bonner now has no excuse but to look at.

In wide pitches with space, Jamie Brennan is a handful, but in confined pitches against smothering defensive teams, he really struggles, and hasn't the physicality to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Likewise Paddy McBrearty obviously isn't fully fit, and without his bursts of pace, its easy for opposition defenders to patrol his left foot. And Michael Murphy isn't firing on all cylinders either. Yet despite this, had Ciaran Thompson been fit, we could have still have beaten Cavan.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 22/12/2020 18:03:32    2325468

Link

Donegal have a team and system to challenge for the All Ireland title, I believe we have a team who can beat Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Galway etc.

However I think our decision making isn't as good as Dublin, particularly in the final third of the pitch. Its not Dublin's pace or physicality that sets them apart, its their decision making and attacking organisation, which makes them super efficient. It helps that they have 15 excellent players on the pitch at any one time, but its how they consistently co-ordinate their attacks which set them apart.

Mayo have provided the rest of us with an effective template now, I would expect the rest to learn from this and beat Dublin next season.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 531 - 22/12/2020 18:41:34    2325481

Link

Neil Mc gee committing for another year. Good news for Donegal. What a player and what a servant. Still the best full back we have .

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 894 - 23/12/2020 20:03:51    2325737

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Neil Mc gee committing for another year. Good news for Donegal. What a player and what a servant. Still the best full back we have ."
Karl Lacey gone due to work and family.Great servant to Donegal.Would DV be the man to replace him.As i have said before Brendan is wasted on a podcast.Maybe Gary mc Daid as well could be considered top man imo.

neutral (None) - Posts: 299 - 04/01/2021 09:28:55    2325906

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Karl Lacey gone due to work and family.Great servant to Donegal.Would DV be the man to replace him.As i have said before Brendan is wasted on a podcast.Maybe Gary mc Daid as well could be considered top man imo."
Sad to see Karl Lacey go. His successor will be interesting. Will bonner go inside or outside the county. My preference would be Gary Mc daid not everybody's cup of tea but a very astute coach. Eamon Mc gee maybe but the commitment would be an issue with a young family.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 894 - 04/01/2021 09:59:02    2325910

Link

Missed the boat with Buckley. Would have been a great addition. Hope they get 2 good men in to replace Lacey and Fisher.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 582 - 04/01/2021 17:58:31    2325986

Link

That's two of the backroom team who were against the dogging in the week of the Ulster Final who have walked. There was also a third who was not happy with the decision, we shall wait and see on that one.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 48 - 05/01/2021 10:22:24    2326069

Link

Good reports coming from DSC Gym in Milford, who have fully qualified staff working there, maybe a new team from there might help the S & C and fitness of the panel . New faces new ideas needed.

jacktheboy (Donegal) - Posts: 70 - 05/01/2021 10:33:33    2326070

Link

Replying To jacktheboy:  "Good reports coming from DSC Gym in Milford, who have fully qualified staff working there, maybe a new team from there might help the S & C and fitness of the panel . New faces new ideas needed."
Caolan Ward current squad member is one of the s&c team there in Milford so unlikely that'll work. From what I have heard the new S&C role is a done deal, another former player.

NewLad2021 (Donegal) - Posts: 4 - 05/01/2021 12:22:16    2326089

Link

Looks like the cracks are beginning to appear in the Donegal senior management set up. Bonners inability to get Donegal to the top table is obviously taking its toll, with Fisher and now Lacy leaving, Some disagreement between Lacy and Rockford being the latest to make the rounds. Bonner and Rockford, two perennial losers should be moved out ASAP and Lacy given the top job! Lacy by now has served his apprenticeship and with those 4 Allstars on his resume has to be serious manager material.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 288 - 05/01/2021 14:07:37    2326110

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Looks like the cracks are beginning to appear in the Donegal senior management set up. Bonners inability to get Donegal to the top table is obviously taking its toll, with Fisher and now Lacy leaving, Some disagreement between Lacy and Rockford being the latest to make the rounds. Bonner and Rockford, two perennial losers should be moved out ASAP and Lacy given the top job! Lacy by now has served his apprenticeship and with those 4 Allstars on his resume has to be serious manager material."
Why do people assume that being a good player makes a person a good coach/manager?

Look at Frank lampard at Chelsea and how he was parachuted into a job he didn't deserve and see how out of his depth he is. As far as I'm aware, lacey has limited managerial experience in terms of game management etc.

He would need to spend time coaching and managing at club level or underage county before he would be considered for the top job in Donegal

And to call the two men losers reeks of a hidden agenda. The whole country was raving about Donegal and had we won Ulster again, there would be none of this type of post mortem. They have work to do in relation to seeing out big games but to tarnish them as perennial losers is completely wrong.

ballboy101 (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 05/01/2021 14:53:13    2326117

Link

Replying To ballboy101:  "Why do people assume that being a good player makes a person a good coach/manager?

Look at Frank lampard at Chelsea and how he was parachuted into a job he didn't deserve and see how out of his depth he is. As far as I'm aware, lacey has limited managerial experience in terms of game management etc.

He would need to spend time coaching and managing at club level or underage county before he would be considered for the top job in Donegal

And to call the two men losers reeks of a hidden agenda. The whole country was raving about Donegal and had we won Ulster again, there would be none of this type of post mortem. They have work to do in relation to seeing out big games but to tarnish them as perennial losers is completely wrong."
Agreed. A very harsh summation of Bonner & Rochford's contributions.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7163 - 05/01/2021 16:08:50    2326129

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Agreed. A very harsh summation of Bonner & Rochford's contributions."
That clot has been on criticising bonner and rochford from day one .?would love to know his agenda. It's pretty silly at this stage reading his tripe. Lacey huge loss yes but he's gone I've no doubt they'll be a good replacement bonner not afraid to make the big calls. Same with fisher he'll be replaced by another s&c. Every county has people leaving its life you just move on. To call rochford a perennial loser makes me laugh yea he never win an all Ireland but he was one of a very few to take Dublin to the pin of there collars..

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 894 - 05/01/2021 17:28:58    2326145

Link