Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jacktheboy:  "Very poor show by Manager and players. Poor team selection, no Thompson or Gallen both top scoring forwards and no Ward in defence, best defender during the League. Murphy best full forward in Country spent more time in his own square that in Cavan's, and keeper should have caught that ball for the goal or at least punched out to the side not straight out. No intensity in any of the players , just passing the ball around like a relaxed training session , you dont win knockout football like than."
I agree that the management made a few decisions that left me feeling bemused. I can only think that the decision to bring in McCole was because they wanted to give him game time with McMenamin's injury potentially a season ending one. This would point to the management looking too far ahead just like Kerry despite the noises they were making. I couldn't believe Thompson wasn't starting so really surprised he came on. I could only presume himself and Gallen were injured so I am certainly interested to hear what Declan has to say about this. If Thompson was not picked for tactical reasons then this is absurd but surely he would have been brought on earlier if indeed tactical. The substitutions during the game were also questionable. For example why bring on O'Baoill when not used so far and bring on Jason McGee so late. We were left to speculate that O'Baoill and Ward were out of form hence no game time. The game against Kerry would back up that speculation but McCole was another who got badly exposed. Now he didn't do badly today but when you consider Andrew McClean was on the bench after been excellent I am certainly scratching my head. I thought Paddy looked pretty short but can understand why they wanted to play him. However again cannot understand why Murphy didn't go in and maybe try an Eoghan McGettigan when an option especially with Brennan struggling badly again in a game of importance.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 19:19:53    2313217

Link

Hard luck lads so dissapointing but you get days like that. Don't know what story with Thompson was. I presume young gallen was injured . These boys will be hurting i for one will not be putting the boot in. They have given us some great days.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 895 - 22/11/2020 19:26:31    2313234

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Hard luck lads so dissapointing but you get days like that. Don't know what story with Thompson was. I presume young gallen was injured . These boys will be hurting i for one will not be putting the boot in. They have given us some great days."
I agree rorysboys I hope I'm not coming across as putting a boot in at all, I've a great love of Donegal football so am just thinking out loud and grasping for explanations.

Beidh muid ar ais gan mhoill

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 22/11/2020 19:32:04    2313249

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Hard luck lads so dissapointing but you get days like that. Don't know what story with Thompson was. I presume young gallen was injured . These boys will be hurting i for one will not be putting the boot in. They have given us some great days."
Days like that have happened now 3 years in a row... Questions need to be ask I'm afraid

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 22/11/2020 19:35:14    2313256

Link

I'm gutted here and hard to fathom where it went wrong, maybe a bit too early for postmortems,
Tactics were all over the place going with a two man full forward line and paddy's first start to be thrown into that scenario doesn't make sense, hugh playing far too deep as well allowed easy passage for Cavan up the middle steaming right out of there back line, for all the talk of our big lads we were simply too light down the spine today, far play to Cavan management got it spot on and our bucks reacted badly to it.lots of learning to be done unfortunately some of our warriors will be thinking jez another year of slog for nothing.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 42 - 22/11/2020 19:44:57    2313272

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "I agree with you benjy it is a real strange one for me that Thompson didn't start. Like you say a leader this year, even in Kerry when we were beat out the gate he showed up and was excellent. Excellent against Tyrone and the winning of that game in Ballybofey for us. A strange strange move in my view.

Who could you really say had a good showing out there today, McGonagle picked up a couple of scores I think and seemed to do a good job on McKiernan.. Ryan McHugh did well too I thought. Eoghan Bán made two game changing runs through but we got nothing from either.

The funny thing is the compliments were flowing about the spread of scorers in the team and today you're looking around for lads to stand up and they just couldn't deal with Cavan's intensity. The same thing happened in Castlebar. No Thompson to pick up a few scores, Langan with a few very bad wides towards the end that you would back him to make. Jamie Brennan anonymous unfortunately, the goal chance a good save but really it was a good height for the keeper and practically straight at him.

Huge disappointment. I sort of bristled at commentary about us not showing up in the big games because of Tyrone 2018 and Mayo last year but there's not much defence I can put up to those claims now in all honesty."
Thompson was badly missed today especially when you consider the amount of times we recycled the ball in areas on the right hand side of the pitch where he would swing it over. Surprised they didn't bring Paddy out there more and put Murphy more inside. Not having Gallen as an option was another body blow especially like you said Brennan anonymous again in these type of matches. Apart from Neil McGee we didn't have that dogged attitude in the backline to battle the Cavan tenacity. When you take away McMenamin and McFadden Ferry we are left to Neil in this regard. I agree that McGonagle was probably our best player. He got a couple of nice scores and showed how its done when knocking over a harder one than the ones missed by Langan and O'Baoill in those crucial stages. Still despite the missing players before kick off I thought we would be good enough but how wrong was I. Cavan fought for everything and tried to defend as high up the pitch as they could. Donegal on the other hand were largely passive until their own 45 which just wasn't good enough. We certainly have psychological issues however I don't know how they can be addressed after similar soul searching after the Tyrone and Mayo games of the last couple of years. I am afraid the soft mentally accusations often thrown during the pre Jim era are certainly raising their heads again.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 19:49:22    2313280

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Firstly we have to congratulate Cavan, they were the best team by a long distance today, they out fought us all over the pitch. It was a very disappointing performance from Donegal and again leaves question marks about the team. We really missed Stephen McMenamin, nearly our most important player at this stage.

The post mortem is going to be grim over the winter. We started the game slowly but got back into it after the first Cavan black card. Somehow we were 2 points up at half time even though we werent at the races. The less said about the second half the better.

I still feel we have a great group of players but we have been found wanting when the going gets tough in championship games these past 3 years. I dont think it would be fair to stick the boot in on players and management as its,been a strange year."
Well at least the post mortem will be relatively short in the year that's in it. However how much soul searching can you do after the last 2 years? Honestly I don't know where you go from here. I can tell you in all probability we will be getting blown up again but I fear we will be found wanting when required with our soft underbelly badly exposed again.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 19:53:16    2313289

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Days like that have happened now 3 years in a row... Questions need to be ask I'm afraid"
I agree there are questions that need to be answered but can be done respectfully. With all due respect to Cavan this is not Tyrone or Mayo. However we badly bottled it again. We looked flat and leggy especially in the opening stages. Cavan were giving nothing easy yet were facing nowhere near the same pressure themselves especially coming from their own defense. Routine scores missed and a couple of goal chances that were poorly hit. These are all psychological mistakes brought on by not handling the pressure against opposition we should be beating and not a Tyrone or Mayo.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 20:02:32    2313305

Link

Three years now when the fat has been in the fire we have been physical dominated in high stakes games. The amount of times we were stripped and turnover in the tackle today was startling, and against a division 3 team at that.

Given that where most intercounty teams only have one S&C coach and we have two this is an area that let us down in Castlebar last year and again today and something that seriously needs to be looked at if we are ever to make that elusive step to an AI semi final.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 52 - 22/11/2020 20:23:05    2313351

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "The jacks do over 70 mins what we did to Armagh in the second quarter of last week

We need to piece that together tmw in advance of the semi final

I think we will lay down a serious marker tmw with a 10+ point victory and seal 3 in a row pulling up

Donegal for Sam"
Trouble is that the actual game was in Armagh but the minds were in Croker. Listen you are not the first and won't be the last to learn that the hard way, we have all read the script but it takes real time to soak in. Even Dublin learned that in 2014 I think, so I don't expect a surprise in that semifinal, wouldn't rule it out in the other though.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 787 - 22/11/2020 20:27:43    2313362

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Three years now when the fat has been in the fire we have been physical dominated in high stakes games. The amount of times we were stripped and turnover in the tackle today was startling, and against a division 3 team at that.

Given that where most intercounty teams only have one S&C coach and we have two this is an area that let us down in Castlebar last year and again today and something that seriously needs to be looked at if we are ever to make that elusive step to an AI semi final."
I have to disagree with you here. If we already competed with and beat Tyrone then S & C is certainly not the issue. What is between the ears is however to which I don't know the answer.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 20:35:30    2313377

Link

Some startling stats from today.

We won 28 possessions from kickouts - we scored 0-6 from them. Cavan only won 13 and got 1-5 from them.

Cavan had 31 possessions inside our '45 and got shots away in 30 of them.

We had 38 possessions in Cavans '45 but in 9 of them we lost the ball without getting a shot off.

We lost the ball from a bad pass 11 times (6 vs Armagh and 1 vs Tyrone)

benjyyy (Donegal) - Posts: 1421 - 22/11/2020 20:48:35    2313400

Link

Look we were caught on the hop as said above our minds were in croker pretty simple really. That resulted in nothing going right.
Same happened Kerry v Cork .
Donegal are still a great side and would have put it up to Dublin but won't be this year unfortunately!

letterkennyGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/11/2020 21:09:24    2313435

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I have to disagree with you here. If we already competed with and beat Tyrone then S & C is certainly not the issue. What is between the ears is however to which I don't know the answer."
Difference being Tyrone didn't bring anywhere near the intensity and physicality that Cavan did today nor Mayo last year. When both these teams put it up to us in the physical stakes we came off second best.

That is worrying and has cost us an AI semi two years in a row now.

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 52 - 22/11/2020 21:20:00    2313458

Link

Why was Paul Brennan hooked? He made a couple of impressive turnovers, won most of his 50/50 duels, and recycled possession very well. I thought we were definitely staying on top and were maintaining a relatively acceptable level of possession until he was replaced.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 202 - 22/11/2020 21:26:14    2313474

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Difference being Tyrone didn't bring anywhere near the intensity and physicality that Cavan did today nor Mayo last year. When both these teams put it up to us in the physical stakes we came off second best.

That is worrying and has cost us an AI semi two years in a row now."
Well summed up!

letterkennyGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/11/2020 21:33:22    2313487

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I agree there are questions that need to be answered but can be done respectfully. With all due respect to Cavan this is not Tyrone or Mayo. However we badly bottled it again. We looked flat and leggy especially in the opening stages. Cavan were giving nothing easy yet were facing nowhere near the same pressure themselves especially coming from their own defense. Routine scores missed and a couple of goal chances that were poorly hit. These are all psychological mistakes brought on by not handling the pressure against opposition we should be beating and not a Tyrone or Mayo."
Sorry you are being disrespectful to Cavan, and your right their not Tyrone or Mayo,They have won Sam 5 times ,and today won Ulster for the 40 th , time ,Not bad ,

germac (Down) - Posts: 295 - 22/11/2020 21:37:42    2313491

Link

Replying To peiledoir20:  "Difference being Tyrone didn't bring anywhere near the intensity and physicality that Cavan did today nor Mayo last year. When both these teams put it up to us in the physical stakes we came off second best.

That is worrying and has cost us an AI semi two years in a row now."
That is one theory. However Tyrone always bring intensity and especially physicality it is one of their main assets. Measuring one against another is pure speculation. One correlation between Tyrone, Mayo and Cavan is that we were one game away from an all Ireland semi final and each time we failed. Its plain to see the work the Donegal lads have put into their S & C. No amount will make up for not handling the situation mentally. S & C had nothing to do with the wides that normally the same players would put over with their eyes closed. Same for hitting the body straight in front of you with the goal open.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 21:54:00    2313510

Link

Replying To germac:  "Sorry you are being disrespectful to Cavan, and your right their not Tyrone or Mayo,They have won Sam 5 times ,and today won Ulster for the 40 th , time ,Not bad ,"
Yeah and they are also now in Division 3. You're talking about years ago their last Ulster was over 20 years ago. If you go over to the main forum I have been very complimentary towards Cavan and certainly was careful not to be disrespectful when a couple certainly were. Donegal were long odds on for a reason which certainly wouldn't be the case playing Tyrone or Mayo.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2492 - 22/11/2020 21:58:23    2313517

Link

Replying To letterkennyGuy:  "Look we were caught on the hop as said above our minds were in croker pretty simple really. That resulted in nothing going right.
Same happened Kerry v Cork .
Donegal are still a great side and would have put it up to Dublin but won't be this year unfortunately!"
We shouldn't have been caught on the hop as you put it. 3rd year in a row we have had a collective team malfunction in a must win big game. Cavan were full value for their win. Bonner and Rochford have been getting plenty of plaudits, but for whatever reason we did not bring the necessary intensity to the mayo game last year or cavan today, so many really poor individual performances. Patton needs to start taking charge of his goal and stop flapping/punching the ball, McGee was probably our best player and tried to carry the fight to cavan, don't understand why Paul Brennan was replaced, McFadden tried hard. Thought mcbrearty had very poor movement but I would have replaced Jamie Brennan first who was anonymous, Murphy never really got into the game. Gallen and Mcmenamin were huge losses. Next year will be tough, I think we will see a reinvigorated Tyrone under new mgt next year, this Donegal team needs to make a breakthrough at national level, like a strong showing in div1 and making the final. Hopefully the super 8s will get the heave ho but I seriously doubt it. We have a talented squad but we seem to lack the consistency of a really top side. We did the heavy lifting dispatching Tyrone but failed to capitalise on it. Covid19 isn't going away anytime soon and who knows what 2021 will bring?

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 538 - 22/11/2020 22:00:35    2313518

Link