Fermanagh Forum

Fermanagh Training Suspended. Club Games Suspended.

(Oldest Posts First)

According to today's Irish News, Fermanagh manager, Ryan McMenamin has suspended county team training as some of his players have tested positive for Covid 19. Indeed, the newspaper also reveals that a few players within Enniskillen, Tempo clubs have also tested positive. Meanwhile, Belcoo and Belnaleck clubs have suspended activities due to positive cases in their communities. too. As Fermanagh were to finish off the national league games with Clare and Laois shortly that is less likely now and indeed poses a question over the intercounty championship games.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 126 - 06/10/2020 10:18:32    2296002

Link

Devastating blow to just shut down like that. I get that the numbers are up and members are affected directly but if there hadn't been whispers of level 5 in the south I don't think we'd have hit the nuclear option so hastily. Our schools stay open when there is a case or two and isolate the class or year involved so why can't clubs. Seniors and the u11.5s don't interact so why should one impact the other. I think we need a measured response .. is not our club activities that results in spreading the virus so why cancel ... don't panic county board is what I say .. we need games for our mental health and physical health

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 240 - 06/10/2020 12:08:49    2296033

Link

For the ordinary Joe, I don't understand the GAA messaging as I thought all games throughout the country were banned and for the south for at least 3 weeks but reading mcmenamin's comments he is still jagging away about the Clare game should be postponed. I'm confused!

Fermanagh boss McMenamin calls for Clare clash to be postponed
October 08, 2020
Fermanagh boss Ryan McMenamin has called on the GAA to postpone the Erne men's National Football League clash with Clare next Sunday week.

It comes after Fermanagh county board released a statement yesterday confirming that all Gaelic games activity within the county have been suspended due to "a spike in Covid-19 cases".

Speaking on Off The Ball, three-time All-Ireland winner McMenamin reckons the GAA need to make a call on the situation as soon as possible.

"I think it needs to be a postponement," said the Tyrone native. "If they want to go on ahead more or less in the league without us, that will be the integrity of the league gone.

"To me, I think the GAA has got to act quickly and postpone it. We can draw a line under it then and tell the boys how we plan going forward."

He added: "I just want them to make a call on this as soon as possible, so we can ease the minds of our players.

"There's a lot of blame about with this Covid situation and you have to feel sorry for those players who have contracted the virus. They didn't contract intentionally.

"I've already got a few messages on WhatsApp from lads who are worrying that this was all because of them. So, you do have to think of their mental health when all of this stuff is being paraded around the country."

hillbilly. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 28 - 08/10/2020 11:00:32    2296375

Link

Good to see that GAA HQ have just announced that go ahead for the remaining NFL fixtures including the Fermanagh v Clare...

Remaining Allianz Leagues fixtures will take place
The remaining fixtures of this year's Allianz Leagues will take place as scheduled despite speculation that the competition could be postponed following the wide spread of Covid-19.
And both the under-17 and under-20 championships are also set to continue - with the GAA's Management Committee due to give a final sanction to those championships later this evening.
All these proposals and recommendations will be made to the Management Committee.
RTÉ Sport understands that the outstanding series of League games will signal the resumption of the inter-county season and will recommence on the weekend of 17 October.
It's believed that counties who cannot field teams may have to forfeit games.
These developments and more were discussed at a virtual meeting between the GAA and its county chairpersons this evening.
All these proposals and recommendations will be made to the GAA's Management Committee later tonight.
Some counties asked for games to be played at neutral venues but there are concerns that the integrity of the competition could be affected if that was implemented - as home and away arrangements had been used until now.
The overriding message from Croke Park to county chiefs was that games were going ahead and that the Association would work through its challenges.
It's understood that the Fermanagh and Clare fixture at Ennis - which was in doubt due to the cluster of positive Covid-19 cases in the Erne County squad - will also go ahead as planned.
Several Fermanagh players are only due to come out of isolation on the morning of that game and manager Ryan McMenamin today called for that crucial clash - they need to win both remaining fixtures to try to avoid relegation - to be postponed but that clash seems likely to go ahead.
The GAA will also stay across developments in the six counties and will monitor the situation closely.
Meanwhile, club championships that have county players involved will be played two weeks after the county team is knocked out of championship.

hillbilly. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 28 - 08/10/2020 19:03:24    2296459

Link

So intercounty football returns and it's time for macca to get his tandem on the road again! I suppose we'll soon see him posting his team selection yet it is meaningless considering it's the manager's call and no one else. Anyhow, for the serious posters, I thought it was decided that there would be no promotions or relegations irrespective of the final outcome of the NFL, is that still the case?

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 242 - 09/10/2020 13:30:29    2296569

Link

At least he gives an opinion, not a sheep who agrees with the team selected. The forum is for discussion.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2228 - 09/10/2020 16:41:05    2296611

Link

Its okay FG, even in this crazy year of things one thing stays the same with that poster.

God forbid someone give a view on a forum!!

Anyway, main issue at minute being Fermanagh team being forced to play an important fixture in Clare on Sunday week with half team in isolation, with quarnatine ending the day of the game,surely this wouldnt happen Dublin or other big counties. Id hope some "integrity" as the GAA love to portay will prevail and the obvious disadvantage before a fixture will be halted at least.

As if not bad enough team have to travel on day of game and no dressing rooms/showers after etc!!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 901 - 09/10/2020 21:53:54    2296642

Link

Fermanagh senior team should not travel to Ennis tomorrow. They should not fulfil the fixture .. 8 hour round trip in close proximity with others.. no hotel no shower .. it's inhumane... Kildare stood up to Croke park a few years ago with newbridge or nowhere.... for us it ... no player welfare means no show ... not as catchy I know !

KeshGFC (Fermanagh) - Posts: 240 - 10/10/2020 10:16:44    2296660

Link