Louth Forum

Club Scene 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Given the apathy towards the county scene maybe we should turn our attention to predictions for Louth Club League and Championship 2020. I have a feeling that it wil b eth Jocks year in championship and that the Gers will do well enough to win the league after a good run last year.

Senior Championship : Martins
Senior League : Geraldines

Inter League : Gaels
Inter Championship : O'Mahony's

Junior League : Dunleer
Junior chamionship : Togher

blueboy (Louth) - Posts: 331 - 27/01/2020 18:04:44    2262979

Link

Our club scene is our county scene. If 1 is bad so is the other.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1562 - 28/01/2020 09:28:46    2263118

Link

Replying To blueboy:  "Given the apathy towards the county scene maybe we should turn our attention to predictions for Louth Club League and Championship 2020. I have a feeling that it wil b eth Jocks year in championship and that the Gers will do well enough to win the league after a good run last year.

Senior Championship : Martins
Senior League : Geraldines

Inter Championship : O'Mahony's

Junior League : Dunleer
Junior chamionship : Togher"
Div1 Blues
Senior champ Blues

Div2 Dundalk Geals
Inter champ Hunterstown

Div3A Gylde
Div3B Mitchels
Junior Champ Finbarrs

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 433 - 01/02/2020 09:47:05    2264124

Link

Great to see a full list of league fixtures issued already for the new season. Full details are on the Louth website and were issued to clubs last night.

Drogexile (Louth) - Posts: 73 - 01/02/2020 10:13:56    2264128

Link

Replying To Drogexile:  "Great to see a full list of league fixtures issued already for the new season. Full details are on the Louth website and were issued to clubs last night."
Yeah very good to see it

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 433 - 01/02/2020 12:42:00    2264160

Link

That's what a bit of common sense & brains does to the whole thing,the new regime is already showing up the old one on how incompetent they were.

Anlubuchaill (Louth) - Posts: 140 - 01/02/2020 19:01:17    2264230

Link

Replying To Drogexile:  "Great to see a full list of league fixtures issued already for the new season. Full details are on the Louth website and were issued to clubs last night."
If you think they will go as planned, your deluded

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 865 - 05/02/2020 09:22:26    2265274

Link

Replying To DundalkGael:  "If you think they will go as planned, your deluded"
Apart from the next few weekends fixtures being subject to pitch review why do you think the rest of the fixtures won't hold? It looks like the CCC have accounted for the county team games through to the championship

Mesut (Louth) - Posts: 44 - 05/02/2020 11:25:12    2265312

Link

Senior Championship : Newtown Blues
Senior League : Naomh Martin

Inter League : Dundalk Gaels
Inter Championship : Sean O'Mahonys

Junior League : Na Piarsaigh
Junior Championship : Na Piarsaigh

LúGaa15 (Louth) - Posts: 8 - 05/02/2020 18:37:49    2265467

Link

Senior Championship : Blues
Senior League : Jocks

Inter Championship : Feckins

Junior Championship : Barrs
Junior League : Lannleire

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 06/02/2020 21:15:10    2265787

Link

Senior League- Jocks
Senior Ch'ship- Mochtas

Inter League- Joes
Inter Ch'Ship- Fechins

Junior League- Glyde
Junior Ch'Ship- Barrs

bobby22 (Louth) - Posts: 21 - 06/02/2020 23:25:50    2265831

Link

Wonder if many teams will return training tomorrow in their groups of 15..surely most lads have been doing their own little bit to keep themselves ticking over.

Southsider1 (Louth) - Posts: 30 - 07/06/2020 15:08:55    2280066

Link

I know it's a tough situation we are in and infairness to the county board they have a plan in place for the months ahead. I just don't agree with the no promotions or relegation like in all honesty what is the point in the league then it just becomes a sanctuary for glorified challenge matches. And what's there to play for teams after championship if they don't make it out of there groups. Without a threat of relegation and Championship done will they give walkovers like it's just ludicrous. Again I know it's a tough situation we r in and the count board are trying but this is not the way

paulo94 (Louth) - Posts: 130 - 08/06/2020 23:55:45    2280143

Link

Replying To paulo94:  "I know it's a tough situation we are in and infairness to the county board they have a plan in place for the months ahead. I just don't agree with the no promotions or relegation like in all honesty what is the point in the league then it just becomes a sanctuary for glorified challenge matches. And what's there to play for teams after championship if they don't make it out of there groups. Without a threat of relegation and Championship done will they give walkovers like it's just ludicrous. Again I know it's a tough situation we r in and the count board are trying but this is not the way"
Agreed, surely players want games now so let them at it, two games a weeks instead of 3 training sessions and 1 game. No promotion or relegation means a lot of teams will have two meaningful matches this year. Is that really worth going back training for? It seems we jumped the gun here and done something drastic just for the sake of it. Louth senior team will probably have 2 games max this summer, that is realism more than pessimism and I would love if they prove me wrong but is this really good enough reason to not bother with the second biggest club competition in the county.

Louth Gael (Louth) - Posts: 1227 - 09/06/2020 17:31:15    2280199

Link

Is their going to be 2nd team league and championships or are only the "elite" club players getting looked after?

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 865 - 10/06/2020 07:37:59    2280236

Link

It's absolutely ridiculous lads no promotion or relegation what is the point of the leagues than God forbid a lad got a serious injury knee or broken leg in a stupid nothing league game after the championship is finished it seems to just favour a club or two who are desperate to hold on in a higher league for the year who knew before a ball was kicked they were going to get relegated

bennypoor (Louth) - Posts: 433 - 10/06/2020 08:51:47    2280237

Link

Replying To Louth Gael:  "Agreed, surely players want games now so let them at it, two games a weeks instead of 3 training sessions and 1 game. No promotion or relegation means a lot of teams will have two meaningful matches this year. Is that really worth going back training for? It seems we jumped the gun here and done something drastic just for the sake of it. Louth senior team will probably have 2 games max this summer, that is realism more than pessimism and I would love if they prove me wrong but is this really good enough reason to not bother with the second biggest club competition in the county."
It's ridiculous, if a team loses their first 2 league games then what is the incentive for them to remain training for the rest of the league games after the championship? Particularly if they go out of the championship early as well. Some teams won't have a hope of winning their leagues anyway, they've no playoffs to aim for or relegation battles to fight. Nothing to play for in this structure. Even teams fighting it out to win titles won't get a fair shake of things if other teams in their divisions give up early.

Mesut (Louth) - Posts: 44 - 10/06/2020 09:22:29    2280247

Link

Replying To Mesut:  "It's ridiculous, if a team loses their first 2 league games then what is the incentive for them to remain training for the rest of the league games after the championship? Particularly if they go out of the championship early as well. Some teams won't have a hope of winning their leagues anyway, they've no playoffs to aim for or relegation battles to fight. Nothing to play for in this structure. Even teams fighting it out to win titles won't get a fair shake of things if other teams in their divisions give up early."
More chance of Louth winning Leinster than teams who have lost their first 2 games fielding in the last 3 games

DundalkGael (Louth) - Posts: 865 - 10/06/2020 13:01:44    2280279

Link

Will ye all just stop moaning and be glad there will be a season and some games to enjoy, watching, playing and seeing each other again albeit maybe from a distance

Some folk never happy

Red2017 (Louth) - Posts: 121 - 10/06/2020 17:53:25    2280323

Link

This was an article in the democrat this week. I thought there was a lot of merit in it

Just a few thoughts and queries I have on the new Louth GAA format.

Why can there not be promotion and relegation in the league? To do so would mean only one extra game for the two teams that finish bottom of the groups and this way it keeps all games competitive, even after the championship.

The current format has a duration of 13 weeks, assuming there is a week's break between the completion of the groups and the quarter-final, and another week's break between the semi and the finals of championships.

By putting all respective championship teams into a 'league' and playing 11 games weekly, like they do in north-east soccer league, with a week's break between each of the knockout rounds of the championship, you could have a 16-week season where every game is competitive. You could have a format which would ensure the top eight in each league qualifies for the quarter-finals of the various championships.

You could seed the positions you finish in to keep matches competitive right until the end and either relegate the team that finishes bottom or, again, play-off the bottom four.

I believe the new format has been rushed to completion to allow for the inter-county scene, which only caters for a small percentage of players. It may be easy for me, a club player, to say that, but still, I think it's a logical conclusion to draw.

What if Peter Fitzpatrick came out and said Louth GAA will not enter inter-county teams for 2020 and subsequently have a whopper of a club season in the county. He'd likely receive the majority's support, or maybe he wouldn't?

I wonder, then, would the other weaker counties - Wicklow, Waterford, Carlow (who have no manager at present), etc - follow suit?

On a bigger scale, why not cancel the inter-county season and allow each county to have a brilliant club campaign? There could be provincial club championships to follow and then, in 2021, the county programme could start afresh. Would many complain if this were to be the case?

I know this won't happen - the bottom line is that money talks loudest - but still, I think my argument is an issue for public debate.

Fairplayer (Louth) - Posts: 8 - 11/06/2020 00:07:18    2280377

Link