Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Didn't see it only got the radio coverage, the defeat was expected and glad we rested key men, hope the Championship goes ahead anyway,we need to be at full tilt to beat Tyrone next week.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1164 - 24/10/2020 18:53:42    2300899

Link

Cannot argue with most of the points made already. It was very noticeable that the two teams were operating at different intensity levels which became abundantly clear after the first water break. Kerry again implemented their defensive screen from last week and put intense pressure on any of the Donegal players transitioning out of defense often hunting in packs. In comparison Donegal were largely passive towards the Kerry ball carriers often not meeting them till the half way line. However you would be disappointed with the cheap scores conceded right after the water break which ended the game as a contest. I have no doubt Donegal were keeping their powder dry not wanting to show much hence never veering away from the hand passing game. What is clear is that against teams like Kerry over relying on that style of game just won't cut it. I wouldn't be overly concerned and expect us to mix it up more next week. On the positive side as alluded to Ciaran Thompson was our stand out player. Again Stephen McMenamin kept Clifford relatively quiet. I thought Oisin Gallen showed flashes and the last 2 weeks will be a great learning experience for him. On the negative side the half back line was very porous. Given it is championship next week I would be worried about the form of a couple of our players who look way off. Plus McFadden Ferry as pointed out already is going to be a huge loss. We don't have many teak tough aggressive defenders to lose him. Anyways all about next week.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/10/2020 20:13:16    2300934

Link

I'm rather glad to get a lethargic performance done and out of the way before championship,
Don't rely know why we dropped off after first water break, there should be a few guys that lets been honest are there now a while simply didn't put there hands up, and I know it's a baptism of fire for a couple of the newbies in Tralee, so that definitely bring them on. The one wee concern I have is the corner forwards lads being pulled off cause them lads thrive on confidence and hope they don't overthink too much about today, we're probably lucky in a way that if paddy's back we've five quaility lads looking for the three top spots.
Where did mcclegnahen go I haven't heard anything about him for a while?

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 24/10/2020 20:46:21    2300950

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "I'm rather glad to get a lethargic performance done and out of the way before championship,
Don't rely know why we dropped off after first water break, there should be a few guys that lets been honest are there now a while simply didn't put there hands up, and I know it's a baptism of fire for a couple of the newbies in Tralee, so that definitely bring them on. The one wee concern I have is the corner forwards lads being pulled off cause them lads thrive on confidence and hope they don't overthink too much about today, we're probably lucky in a way that if paddy's back we've five quaility lads looking for the three top spots.
Where did mcclegnahen go I haven't heard anything about him for a while?"
I believe he was curtailed by a back injury for a few years and I don't know then. I think he was playing for moville in the junior championship this year. Bonner was certainly a fan and was a very good minor player and very physically very strong.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 24/10/2020 21:25:00    2300968

Link

Anybody know what's going on with Kieran Gillespie as well.. He's the type of back that we need. Is he gone from the panel?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 24/10/2020 21:26:43    2300970

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Anybody know what's going on with Kieran Gillespie as well.. He's the type of back that we need. Is he gone from the panel?"
Not sure Rory he did get a couple of run outs with the club but I am guessing and hoping it is the slowly slowly approach.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/10/2020 22:17:39    2300990

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "I'm rather glad to get a lethargic performance done and out of the way before championship,
Where did mcclegnahen go I haven't heard anything about him for a while?"
You wouldn't know Jamie Brennan was playing. The pass the ball tactic up the field was not really to his benefit and given there was no urgency from management to get him involved I imagine a quiet afternoon was the order of the day.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 24/10/2020 22:20:52    2300993

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Anybody know what's going on with Kieran Gillespie as well.. He's the type of back that we need. Is he gone from the panel?"
I think he took part in the charity cycle the team did though the he's got hammered with injury. I believe he had hip surgery and two cruciate injuries. It would be great if he could make it back at some stage though I've no idea will he. You had to feel for him at the naomh conaill match last year when it went again.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 24/10/2020 22:26:09    2300994

Link

Kieran Gillespie is still in squad I think, don't think he's far away but I think it'll be next year before he plays. The lad has had so many injuries I think it's wise to leave him till next year. As for today it was never going to be easy with so many changes against probably the best team in Ireland I really think there that good. Good to see langan and Mc gee getting a good workout, hopefully now there's no ill effects. Also nice to see Mc grath back and captain for the day he looked rusty but the game will bring him on. Caolan ward and daire o baoill were not at the level we expect of them. Maybe a wee dip in form but there two quality players so hopefully they'll come back stronger. Mc menamin did a good job on Clifford, I really like this lad can be ruthless when he has to be but can play ball too. Our best player was definitely Thompson a real good display which hopefully he'll carry on to next week. Gallen showed well too .2 games in a row will hopefully bring him on. One player I hardly noticed was Jamie Brennan.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 24/10/2020 22:30:43    2300996

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "You wouldn't know Jamie Brennan was playing. The pass the ball tactic up the field was not really to his benefit and given there was no urgency from management to get him involved I imagine a quiet afternoon was the order of the day."
I thought myself Jamie was one of the guys who should have been wrapped in cotton wool.Maybe he thought that himself and didn't put himself about much.Did he touch the ball at all.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 24/10/2020 23:45:57    2301019

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Kieran Gillespie is still in squad I think, don't think he's far away but I think it'll be next year before he plays. The lad has had so many injuries I think it's wise to leave him till next year. As for today it was never going to be easy with so many changes against probably the best team in Ireland I really think there that good. Good to see langan and Mc gee getting a good workout, hopefully now there's no ill effects. Also nice to see Mc grath back and captain for the day he looked rusty but the game will bring him on. Caolan ward and daire o baoill were not at the level we expect of them. Maybe a wee dip in form but there two quality players so hopefully they'll come back stronger. Mc menamin did a good job on Clifford, I really like this lad can be ruthless when he has to be but can play ball too. Our best player was definitely Thompson a real good display which hopefully he'll carry on to next week. Gallen showed well too .2 games in a row will hopefully bring him on. One player I hardly noticed was Jamie Brennan."
To me that was Thompson's best display in a few years and carries on from his excellent club form over the last while. He should take real confidence from it. That kick in the second half that just fell short was as pure a kick as you could hit.
Did Brennan even touch the ball? He was possibly under instruction to mind himself and just stay inside. Tom O'Sullivan is also a great little player and might just have his measure. Kerry were also quite defensive particularly in the first half which does not suit an inside forward.
Ward was very good earlier in the year, I wonder is he fully fit especially as he was taken off at ht. And as much as daire obaoill was not brilliant he was still ok and did try very hard in difficult circumstances and it will be a good education for him.
Gallen did show some nice glimpses in the second though he was doubled teamed when he got the ball.

You are right, Kerry are a serious team now and their work rate was very good and they have plenty strength in depth. They should be favourites for the all Ireland this year.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 25/10/2020 00:23:21    2301029

Link

Brennan was quiet but we hit no ball in to him. Can't do much when the ball isn't near you.
Also I think he was holding back. If we ever win a free around the middle he's the first man looking for the ball. Wasn't evident yesterday. Don't blame him with Tyrone next weekend.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 25/10/2020 10:26:32    2301075

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Brennan was quiet but we hit no ball in to him. Can't do much when the ball isn't near you.
Also I think he was holding back. If we ever win a free around the middle he's the first man looking for the ball. Wasn't evident yesterday. Don't blame him with Tyrone next weekend."
A good player never holds back, you would never see the likes of Mcgee Murphy McBrearty etc holding back never mind the importance of the game, if your not getting the ball in to you go look for it, Gallen in fairness done that yesterday in the second half, how many times were we around the forty yesterday for the player in possession to turn around because there was no option in front of him even in the first half when we were playing well. I don't subscribe to that notion of holding back or resting yourself at all, if that was the case put in a young lad whose eager.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 25/10/2020 11:18:51    2301093

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Brennan was quiet but we hit no ball in to him. Can't do much when the ball isn't near you.
Also I think he was holding back. If we ever win a free around the middle he's the first man looking for the ball. Wasn't evident yesterday. Don't blame him with Tyrone next weekend."
I wouldn't say anybody is blaming Brennan.I would think he is a key player for us and should have been in the protected category and left at home along with other key players.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 25/10/2020 11:41:51    2301099

Link

You can hold back subconsciously in those type of games, that's what I meant. He's a passionate dedicated Donegal footballer who has put in serious work the past 2 years to get himself to where he's at.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 25/10/2020 12:07:43    2301110

Link

Kerry were miles hungrier than us, it was clear as day, that makes a huge difference definitely but at the same time I was disappointed in some of our squad players being caught so short. I think while you are keeping your powder dry and not wanting to show too much, there's a few lads that got a chance yesterday that in my opinion will have played themselves out of contention for the matchday squad.

McMenamin is our best defender now by a good chunk, I think he has come on brilliantly and I really love watching him play.

Thompson with a brilliant performance too. I think he has quietly been very good for us but has not been scoring as much as his first couple of years on the senior panel. If he could tack on the 2 or 3 points per game again he will really add a lot to the starting lineup, he picks up an awful lot of dirty ball around the middle third.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 25/10/2020 15:45:44    2301165

Link

Lad's, could we compete with that Kerry team if we had full deck. That kerry team is a serious team now and if we meet them down the line would we have a chance?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 25/10/2020 15:49:03    2301168

Link

Good question even with a full squad. It was going to be difficult. Whether we could beat them further down the line who knows, it would be fantastic to get a chance of playing them again this year. Tyrone good win today there going to be a lot stronger next week but hopefully so will we. Mc kenna looks good who will mark him Mc gee or Mc menamin.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 25/10/2020 16:14:48    2301193

Link

All eyes on next week now. Tyrone showing good form today to relegate Mayo in Castlebar. They certainly held back last week a good bit.

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 902 - 25/10/2020 16:23:38    2301197

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Lad's, could we compete with that Kerry team if we had full deck. That kerry team is a serious team now and if we meet them down the line would we have a chance?"
Did Donegal not draw with Kerry in the Championship last July?

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 25/10/2020 16:58:43    2301226

Link