Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheHermit:  "Perfect draw, Clare, then potentially Tipp and get over that and a final against Cork.

It's just what you need, we will be playing the three other strongest teams and every match will be a step up in quality f opponents until (hopefully) we can get our revenge on the Corkonians in Killarney.

It's great to have the summer coming into view and matches to be looking forward to!"
Ye got the draw ye wanted. Ye'll surely be able for Clare in Killarney. There's no guarantee that Cork will make the final. Limerick should have the upper hand on Waterford, and with a game under their belt and a head of steam
built up, they could do to Cork what Tipp did last year.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 19/04/2021 12:09:52    2337835

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Perfect draw, Clare, then potentially Tipp and get over that and a final against Cork.

It's just what you need, we will be playing the three other strongest teams and every match will be a step up in quality f opponents until (hopefully) we can get our revenge on the Corkonians in Killarney.

It's great to have the summer coming into view and matches to be looking forward to!"
It's the perfect draw the hermit, we will beat Clare in killarney although I'd expect them to give us a hard 55/60 mins.

Then we will have the Munster champs in their own back yard, this game will be interesting, Tipp will have confidence after last year's win and they won't give up their title easily, they have great fire power but our game against Clare should sharpen us and Thurles is a big pitch which should suit our footballers.

Cork in killarney oooh thats gonna be tasty, Cork have shown theyre willing to do anything to win by breaking the training ban in January, they never fear Kerry in killarney or PUC, they beat us last year so confidence won't be a problem for them and if they have their full deck to to deal from theyll have a 50/50 chance, remember they'll be no crowd in fitzgeralds stadium and we won't be able to tell a whole lot from their game against Waterford or limerick.

Getting excited now, I walked out in the yard this morning and even though it was misting heavily you could smell the summer in the air.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 19/04/2021 12:49:18    2337840

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Ye got the draw ye wanted. Ye'll surely be able for Clare in Killarney. There's no guarantee that Cork will make the final. Limerick should have the upper hand on Waterford, and with a game under their belt and a head of steam
built up, they could do to Cork what Tipp did last year."
Yep a draw I like. Yeah should beat Clare at home but Tipp will be tough in Thurles but should have too much for them I hope. I think Cork will get through Limerick tbh and set up a final in Killarney which should ve a cracker.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1951 - 19/04/2021 13:14:37    2337854

Link

I wonder how our first training session of the season went this evening, they must be mad to tare into it now.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 19/04/2021 21:08:32    2337931

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I wonder how our first training session of the season went this evening, they must be mad to tare into it now."
First session?? I wouldn't be that naive, most clubs are back with a bit including some underage ..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 19/04/2021 21:59:35    2337942

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I wonder how our first training session of the season went this evening, they must be mad to tare into it now."
I wonder was there a few watching it, would the gates in Currans be open?

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 19/04/2021 22:03:46    2337943

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I wonder was there a few watching it, would the gates in Currans be open?"
I doubt the gates would be open Kerry15 but they're easy enough to jump over, I did it myself 1 evening to give a gawk around the place, there wasn't anyone around at the time so it was grand :-)

Theyre supposed to open a few sessions for the league if I'm remembering correctly, I'd be back like a shot if I knew when they were on.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 19/04/2021 22:16:09    2337948

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "First session?? I wouldn't be that naive, most clubs are back with a bit including some underage .."
In fairness horse ye North Kerr-eans need all the training ye can get :-)

Il get my coat.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 19/04/2021 22:20:05    2337950

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "First session?? I wouldn't be that naive, most clubs are back with a bit including some underage .."
That's said a lot but I don't think it's the case. I'm almost 100 percent certain Kerry did not train collectively in any way until tonight. Peter Keane seems to be very conscious and compliant when it comes to abiding by regulations. Also I haven't heard of or seen any clubs in my area training. Now there might be a few club gyms being used and 3 or 4 players meeting up of their own accord to a bit of running, but I'd be surprised if there's any form of collective training going on in clubs.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 19/04/2021 22:47:16    2337956

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I wonder was there a few watching it, would the gates in Currans be open?"
Actually good point, PK never really commented in the closed gates scenario, but I suppose Covid gave him the breathing space in that regard... can't remember if they were open in 2019....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 20/04/2021 08:55:07    2337970

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Actually good point, PK never really commented in the closed gates scenario, but I suppose Covid gave him the breathing space in that regard... can't remember if they were open in 2019...."
I dont think Keane ever made issues about keeping training private, but i dont remember many open sessions apart from the odd ones the county board put on over the years for PR. I have heard that people have gone over to watch training but it would either be from a viewing spot or if they knew someway in.. but i never heard of people being asked to leave or asked who they were, which was common enough in Donegal years ago.
You wouldn't say he is anywhere near the Jim McGuiness era....

The only thing i do know from speaking to the the four kerry lads from Templenoe, is not to even bother asking a question. The four lads are as nice of fellas you could ever meet but not a word about Kerry to anyone period. K
As Pat Spillane said numerous times, you would get the third secret of Fatima off of them before they would speak about the Kerry football set up . Kane has that instilled in them. Its good to see/hear, somethings are not for us to know and it keeps the bond between the group strong.

I dont think any Kerry Fan can argue that the draw wasn't kind to us. Clare will set up defensive and Kerry should get by them without much trouble, and Tipp dont really know how to play defensive football. I like them as a group, since 2016 when they got to the Semi final and only lost by 5 to Mayo. They play football, they attack and try and go toe to toe. That should be a very good game and we should hopefully see the Kerry forward getting the dirty diesel out of the system and get some shooting practice in.

I think Cork should beat Limerick, but i wouldn't bet the house on it. Cork are a funny county in football the last ten years, which is bad for Kerry. We need a strong Cork to keep Kerry competitive.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 20/04/2021 11:13:38    2337996

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Ye got the draw ye wanted. Ye'll surely be able for Clare in Killarney. There's no guarantee that Cork will make the final. Limerick should have the upper hand on Waterford, and with a game under their belt and a head of steam
built up, they could do to Cork what Tipp did last year."
Agreed. I dont think anyone would put large amounts of money on Cork, they are too unpredictable. If they went on to win Munster after beating us last year and gave it a rattle in the Semi's then maybe one could say that they are a coming team.. but no Jurys still out with me. And its a strange one because the Irish examiner streamed a load of Senior and intermediate club games on youtube last summer and the standard was good. game were tough and close. And unlike Dublin, most of the cork club teams were made up of cork men.

There is no guarantee that Cork will be playing Limerick either, fair enough Limerick won division 4 this year, they only beat Waterford by three points 1-10 to 10. the year before they beat them by 6 1-13 to 10 and two years ago by only a point 2-10 to 2-9. And Waterford have home advantage i believe so its not a foregone conclusion that its Cork and Limerick.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 20/04/2021 11:29:39    2338001

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "In fairness horse ye North Kerr-eans need all the training ye can get :-)

Il get my coat."
Big talk considering their was still rationing the last time An Daingean won a title ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 20/04/2021 12:58:46    2338015

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Big talk considering their was still rationing the last time An Daingean won a title ;D"
Ouch, I deserved that :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 20/04/2021 14:22:57    2338029

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ouch, I deserved that :-)"
Don't worry Kingdomboy the West will surely wake again!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 20/04/2021 15:19:34    2338040

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Don't worry Kingdomboy the West will surely wake again!"
Fingers crossed good buddy but I'd say we'll have to join up with the district to bring the Bishop Moynihan back west.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 20/04/2021 16:02:03    2338051

Link

I just read on the kerry gaa forum that Peter Crowley has retired from intercounty football, that's a shock but I'd like to wish him well in his retirement if its true.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12930 - 20/04/2021 20:24:33    2338108

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read on the kerry gaa forum that Peter Crowley has retired from intercounty football, that's a shock but I'd like to wish him well in his retirement if its true."
Seems to be true. I'm surprised, I thought he had another year at least in the tank, albeit it was always going to be tough for him coming back after that injury and with such disruption to the usual training regime.

Best of luck to him in retirement, crucial player in that 2014 All Ireland win, and an underrated player across his career I though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2056 - 20/04/2021 21:33:26    2338125

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I just read on the kerry gaa forum that Peter Crowley has retired from intercounty football, that's a shock but I'd like to wish him well in his retirement if its true."
Feck it, that's very disappointing news!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 20/04/2021 21:40:07    2338127

Link

Kerry had their first training session tonight in Currans too.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 20/04/2021 21:45:30    2338128

Link