Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Well another U20 manager is required as the poisoned chalice age group is again up for grabs...

What names would you like to see included"
I'm happy enough Sugrue is gone to be honest. I thought he was too conservative/defensive and I didn't agree with certain player or positioning selections he made. I felt he was still managing like he was in charge of a team like Laois with limited resources and a lack of quality, just my take. There are no outstanding candidates for our next Senior manager so I think this appointment should be a kind of pre appointment for when PK's time is up as long as whoever gets appointed does well with the 20s.

My initial preference would be for Declan O'Sullivan. Not a huge amount of experience but he has done well with Dromid and was involved with the 20s for a while previously. Alternative possibilities I can think of are Jimmy Keane, Liam Kearns, Diarmuid Murphy, Seamus Moynihan or Jerry O'Sullivan. I would also be delighted if the manager wanted and got Donie Buckley involved.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 634 - 24/11/2020 16:42:28    2314789

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Yes but twice the Gaa introduced steps to curb Kerry.

In 1980 Kerry were given a bye to their provincial final and the following year the hand pass to goal was abolished.

The Gaa President at this time was quoted as saying the rule change was introduced to level the playing field."
You ré so right Horsebox. Dubs were the first team really to exploit the handpass and then we took it to the optimum level and were nt just beating teams but destroying them so the gaa brought in steps to curb Kerry s dominance by banning scoring from the handpass
It did nt stop us winning in 81 but brought us back to the chasing group and we were beaten in 82.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 24/11/2020 17:38:32    2314824

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I'm happy enough Sugrue is gone to be honest. I thought he was too conservative/defensive and I didn't agree with certain player or positioning selections he made. I felt he was still managing like he was in charge of a team like Laois with limited resources and a lack of quality, just my take. There are no outstanding candidates for our next Senior manager so I think this appointment should be a kind of pre appointment for when PK's time is up as long as whoever gets appointed does well with the 20s.

My initial preference would be for Declan O'Sullivan. Not a huge amount of experience but he has done well with Dromid and was involved with the 20s for a while previously. Alternative possibilities I can think of are Jimmy Keane, Liam Kearns, Diarmuid Murphy, Seamus Moynihan or Jerry O'Sullivan. I would also be delighted if the manager wanted and got Donie Buckley involved."
I wouldn't mind Éamon Fitzmaurice being involved with the new U20 management kerry15 he is a good coach but I'd only have him as the number 2 with maybe Kearns.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12209 - 24/11/2020 18:11:56    2314849

Link

Sugrue a good trainer but I agree with Kerry 15 that as a manager he was a little too Conservative. Alot of manager like that nowadays but I think a good manager should have horses for courses and change game plans to suit opposition. Liam Kearns did great work with Limk and Tipp but in Laois they were nt overly impressed with him. Then again Laois hard to please. The game has changed alot so you need different characters. A manager will only get experience by managing so I've no prob in throwing someone in cold. My choices would be Séamus Moynihan Declan Ó Sullivan or even Dónal Daly. The likes of William Kirby maybe..

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 24/11/2020 19:25:35    2314897

Link

I had a lot of high hopes for Sugrue, pity he couldn't seem to get the most out of the lads, then again the long layoff and Covid outbreak in the squad just before the outbreak were hardly ideal prep. So you can't honestly be too critical.

I say give Declan a go, I've always had high hopes he would turn into a special man on the sideline.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5931 - 25/11/2020 08:56:58    2315091

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I had a lot of high hopes for Sugrue, pity he couldn't seem to get the most out of the lads, then again the long layoff and Covid outbreak in the squad just before the outbreak were hardly ideal prep. So you can't honestly be too critical.

I say give Declan a go, I've always had high hopes he would turn into a special man on the sideline."
I agree Declan is a pure football man. A scoring forward but an eye for defending and totally committed. If interested he would be a good fit I would think.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 25/11/2020 15:33:13    2315269

Link

Word in Dublin is there is unrest in Kerry camp and that players voted to get rid of Keane 26 to 11.Protest led by Moran and Paul Geaney (whom they say was dropped for Cork game for disciplinary reasons). Also word was Moran was warned before game not to be taking on long range shots and hold possession and he did opposite. Chairman backing Keane so if all this is true it could get messy. I don't know how true any of this is.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 27/11/2020 07:46:49    2315835

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Sugrue a good trainer but I agree with Kerry 15 that as a manager he was a little too Conservative. Alot of manager like that nowadays but I think a good manager should have horses for courses and change game plans to suit opposition. Liam Kearns did great work with Limk and Tipp but in Laois they were nt overly impressed with him. Then again Laois hard to please. The game has changed alot so you need different characters. A manager will only get experience by managing so I've no prob in throwing someone in cold. My choices would be Séamus Moynihan Declan Ó Sullivan or even Dónal Daly. The likes of William Kirby maybe.."
Liam Kearns is staying on as club manager of Clann na nGeal in Roscommon next year.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 27/11/2020 09:12:51    2315841

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Word in Dublin is there is unrest in Kerry camp and that players voted to get rid of Keane 26 to 11.Protest led by Moran and Paul Geaney (whom they say was dropped for Cork game for disciplinary reasons). Also word was Moran was warned before game not to be taking on long range shots and hold possession and he did opposite. Chairman backing Keane so if all this is true it could get messy. I don't know how true any of this is."
Great thats all we need now is a civil war Mick it didn't work out too well for Cork from what I remember.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12209 - 27/11/2020 10:14:09    2315859

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Great thats all we need now is a civil war Mick it didn't work out too well for Cork from what I remember."
Mayo ousted Connolly and Holmes and came within a whisker of an All Ireland the following two years.

There is almost certainly no smoke without a fire somewhere. I'm 99% sure the part about Geaney being dropped rather than injured is true.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2018 - 27/11/2020 10:23:38    2315864

Link

I saw that being sent around Whatsap this morning, pure horse**** I'd say.

Donie Buckely is obviously seen as some sort of Messiah by some Kerry people out there so its just one of these things that grows legs by some disgruntled supporter.

I mean the David Moran stuff mentioned is comical, does anyone seriously think he would have consciously scuppered us winning a game just to give two-fingers to the sideline? And if he did, well don't let the door hit you on the way out lad!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5931 - 27/11/2020 10:50:29    2315872

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Mayo ousted Connolly and Holmes and came within a whisker of an All Ireland the following two years.

There is almost certainly no smoke without a fire somewhere. I'm 99% sure the part about Geaney being dropped rather than injured is true."
That's true Gerry I forgot about Mayo, the only thing is if does happen then it puts a massive target on the players backs with everyone hoping they fail but nothing new there though :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12209 - 27/11/2020 11:16:25    2315883

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "That's true Gerry I forgot about Mayo, the only thing is if does happen then it puts a massive target on the players backs with everyone hoping they fail but nothing new there though :-)"
It's an ugly business, I feel for Keane if it's true. I'm not going to pretend to know any details but whatever transpired I am sure everyone was doing what they thought was best for Kerry.

If the rumours are true and there is a player revolt of sorts then Keane is a dead man walking. It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, once you lose the dressing room thats it, you are done.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2018 - 27/11/2020 12:15:31    2315898

Link

I saw the message being sent around, a load of BS I'd say myself.

Some people obviously think Buckely is some Messiah and have been sharpening their knives for Keane since last March, that's how things like this grow legs.

I mean honestly, the idea that a senior player would jeopardise us losing an all or nothing game just to give two-fingers to the sideline, that's just ridiculous.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5931 - 27/11/2020 12:44:23    2315905

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "It's an ugly business, I feel for Keane if it's true. I'm not going to pretend to know any details but whatever transpired I am sure everyone was doing what they thought was best for Kerry.

If the rumours are true and there is a player revolt of sorts then Keane is a dead man walking. It doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, once you lose the dressing room thats it, you are done."
Oh he's gone if it's true Gerry , I hope they know what they're doing..

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12209 - 27/11/2020 13:16:20    2315911

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I saw the message being sent around, a load of BS I'd say myself.

Some people obviously think Buckely is some Messiah and have been sharpening their knives for Keane since last March, that's how things like this grow legs.

I mean honestly, the idea that a senior player would jeopardise us losing an all or nothing game just to give two-fingers to the sideline, that's just ridiculous."
Apologies for the repetition, I didn't see my first post had actually been put up.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5931 - 27/11/2020 13:25:28    2315916

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Apologies for the repetition, I didn't see my first post had actually been put up."
I don't know what to think, in 1 way PK has done a lot for us with the minors and got us to 3 finals last year winning 1 and winning us the league this year but then I see the state of us this year and I start to think he's in over his head, who would we get if he was to go? I can't think of anyone off hand.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12209 - 27/11/2020 14:21:34    2315931

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I saw that being sent around Whatsap this morning, pure horse**** I'd say.

Donie Buckely is obviously seen as some sort of Messiah by some Kerry people out there so its just one of these things that grows legs by some disgruntled supporter.

I mean the David Moran stuff mentioned is comical, does anyone seriously think he would have consciously scuppered us winning a game just to give two-fingers to the sideline? And if he did, well don't let the door hit you on the way out lad!"
As I say I got the WhatsApp from friends in Dublin. I txted a few pals from home and they ve heard nothing. Bernard Flynn tweeted something about it also. Whether it's true or not all of it can't be true. I would agree the Moran would hardly go against instruction on purpose. Now while I'm not a fan of PK s style I don't agree with player power. The only ones that came out well afterwards was Galway hurlers. Mayo were just after winning 5 Connaught in a row when the had player power and did nt win again till this year. It put Cork back ten years.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 27/11/2020 14:36:52    2315936

Link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40091702.html

Worth a read, seems the Kerry players are actually dissatisfied with aspects of the coaching set-up, but there is no heave.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5931 - 27/11/2020 19:33:09    2316004

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40091702.html

Worth a read, seems the Kerry players are actually dissatisfied with aspects of the coaching set-up, but there is no heave."
Well I hope there is no heave. I don't like player power.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1144 - 27/11/2020 19:45:20    2316010

Link