Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I tend to agree with you about Burns. I saw him a few years ago v Galway in the league and after beating his man twice he turned around again and got caught. When you beat your man you keep going. He s an enigma i think. Every time I write him off he produces a great performance but is too inconsistent. I personally don't think he s suitable for an all ireland attack but I have been known to be wrong."
I wonder why Paudie Clifford or Spillane were not introduced to replace Burns and Moynihan. David Moran could have used a breather earlier as he was very involved and Walsh was effective when brought in.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 542 - 18/10/2020 20:15:56    2298904

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "I wonder why Paudie Clifford or Spillane were not introduced to replace Burns and Moynihan. David Moran could have used a breather earlier as he was very involved and Walsh was effective when brought in."
Burns was woeful...

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 86 - 19/10/2020 12:46:50    2299141

Link

Ya burns appears to get a free pass from management, he's a good footballer but he is too selfish, it's all about himself not the team.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/10/2020 14:03:45    2299194

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Burns was woeful..."
Lyne in my opinion is a back but seems to be a favourite of management and first choice replacement for half-back or half-forward positions. Begley I would also consider a back. Does management get defense minded?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 542 - 19/10/2020 16:12:44    2299247

Link

Ah look I'm slow to slate anyone cos they put in the effort and sacrifices and put Kerry first regardless of what we think, secondly no player goes out to play a bad game on purpose and on any given day things can just go against you,

The key is how one learns from the mistakes and how the can improve for the benefit of the team. I would have no issue with Burns starting again next week one he would adhere to the remit as issued by PK.

In his defense he was outstanding for Crokes all year and had form coming in, personally I am a fan of both Dara Moynihan and more so Paudie Clifford.. Paudie could be the secret weapon but look we may know more this time next week.

You mentioned Lyne as the go to man by PK If there is an issue in either half line, again personally I'd be more of a Briòn O'Beagleach fan, I have see him around the middle of the park for An Gaeltacht and he has been very impressive,

Either wa he would appear or have options for most positions... not an bad problem to have.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 19/10/2020 20:27:18    2299372

Link

Am I right in saying the U20 Final is off at the weekend ' shame for both Galway/Dublin if my reading of it is correct.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 21/10/2020 14:39:08    2299952

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Am I right in saying the U20 Final is off at the weekend ' shame for both Galway/Dublin if my reading of it is correct."
Ya it's gone horse but at least it let's the Galway team get their players back.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 21/10/2020 17:35:53    2300031

Link

I don't watch much soccer, but watched the ireland and Italy game after the Kerry game. Gaa is 35 minutes aside, while Soccer and Rugby are five and ten minutes longer.

What I'm getting at is neither of these professional sports have the 'water break' but we do in gaa.

Does anyone still know if the water break will still be in situ for championship?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 24/10/2020 22:19:39    2300992

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I don't watch much soccer, but watched the ireland and Italy game after the Kerry game. Gaa is 35 minutes aside, while Soccer and Rugby are five and ten minutes longer.

What I'm getting at is neither of these professional sports have the 'water break' but we do in gaa.

Does anyone still know if the water break will still be in situ for championship?"
Yeah don't understand it either, it really disturbs the momentum of a game.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 24/10/2020 23:43:49    2301014

Link

Just wondering about 37 sowat Sligo. Hope all OK. Have nt seen a post from him in a long time and would always put up posts during championship. I'm only a new user but I've been reading the posts for years and always enjoyed his posts. In this strange year with covid and lock downs Hooe he OK. If you reading 37 send a post.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 08/11/2020 22:20:15    2306513

Link

Not out of the blue in the Wee county, can't believe Mikey Harte has been appointed so quick after leaving his native Tyrone, but like Paidí swearing black and blue that he couldn't train against a team his Native Kerry and then taking up the Westmeath Reigns five days later.

Still bit of a shocker in Louth.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 23/11/2020 20:50:19    2314291

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Not out of the blue in the Wee county, can't believe Mikey Harte has been appointed so quick after leaving his native Tyrone, but like Paidí swearing black and blue that he couldn't train against a team his Native Kerry and then taking up the Westmeath Reigns five days later.

Still bit of a shocker in Louth."
A massive appointment for Louth and surely can only improve them. However word of warning. Pete McGrath of Down a very good manager winning 2 all Irelands with Down as manager got f all out of Louth. Still it will be interesting.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 23/11/2020 21:50:17    2314341

Link

People are talking about Dublin's dominance in Leinster. Winning 15/16 titles. Winning a total of 59 titles to date.

Kerry once won a massive 27 titles in 32 years. Kerry have won 81 Munster titles. Is that not total dominance. They won 8 in a row twice.

It is fair to say that Dublin will add to that total. But Kerry will be back next year. Cork are woeful. I can see Kerry putting multiple titles back to back.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2810 - 23/11/2020 22:26:31    2314378

Link

Replying To Jack L:  "People are talking about Dublin's dominance in Leinster. Winning 15/16 titles. Winning a total of 59 titles to date.

Kerry once won a massive 27 titles in 32 years. Kerry have won 81 Munster titles. Is that not total dominance. They won 8 in a row twice.

It is fair to say that Dublin will add to that total. But Kerry will be back next year. Cork are woeful. I can see Kerry putting multiple titles back to back."
Yes but twice the Gaa introduced steps to curb Kerry.

In 1980 Kerry were given a bye to their provincial final and the following year the hand pass to goal was abolished.

The Gaa President at this time was quoted as saying the rule change was introduced to level the playing field.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 24/11/2020 07:29:56    2314438

Link

Replying To Jack L:  "People are talking about Dublin's dominance in Leinster. Winning 15/16 titles. Winning a total of 59 titles to date.

It is fair to say that Dublin will add to that total. But Kerry will be back next year. Cork are woeful. I can see Kerry putting multiple titles back to back."
Kerry will be back alright Jack but Cork will always be tough for Kerry and are better than they looked Sunday. History is hard to change as Donegal found out. We have never beaten Cork 3 times in succession in Pairc Uí Caoimh and that's what we were trying for this year. Its easy slate a team in defeat but Cork Donegal and Tyrone will be big threats again in the new year along with Kerry.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 24/11/2020 08:08:22    2314449

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Yes but twice the Gaa introduced steps to curb Kerry.

In 1980 Kerry were given a bye to their provincial final and the following year the hand pass to goal was abolished.

The Gaa President at this time was quoted as saying the rule change was introduced to level the playing field."
Exactly horse the gaa did do that to our golden years team back in the day and they seem to be doing the opposite now for dublin facilitating every way they can, but then again it's always about money for the grab all association.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 24/11/2020 10:14:10    2314499

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Exactly horse the gaa did do that to our golden years team back in the day and they seem to be doing the opposite now for dublin facilitating every way they can, but then again it's always about money for the grab all association."
The abolishment of the hand pass goal would have been introduced by congress. Every county would have had their opinion on it. The rule would have impacted more teams than Kerry.

Kerry getting a bye to Munster final was brought in to help the other counties given Kerry's dominance at the time. Similar rule was in Leinster hurling for years where the Leinster champions got a bye to semi final the following year (when Kilkenny were on top). A similar rule could be brought into Leinster but I do not think that it would stop Dublin at the moment.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2810 - 24/11/2020 12:55:38    2314622

Link

Listen the fundamental difference here is that Munster is a hurling province and 5 of the County Boards in the province have traditionally treated Gaelic Football as a second class citizen.

In fact, I think the footballers of the other 5 Munster counties don't get nearly enough praise for what they manage to achieve in the likes of the League and qualifiers given that handicap.

Leinster is a predominantly football province, outside Kilkenny, Wexford and to a much lesser extent Laois, Westmeath and Carlow.

That's the nub of it and you cannot treat Kerry in Munster and Dublin in Leinster as if it is one and the same. They are two entirely different Eco-systems, if you will.

The other counties of Munster choose to favour hurling. Kerry have no influence on that and how could they?

The counties of Leinster devout most of their resources to football and yet are now just canon fodder to Dublin.

Argo, something is very rotten in the state of Leinster football because one county there has been given every possible support and advantage by Croke Park and the rest were left to rot.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 24/11/2020 13:16:22    2314645

Link

Well another U20 manager is required as the poisoned chalice age group is again up for grabs...

What names would you like to see included

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 24/11/2020 15:05:32    2314727

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Listen the fundamental difference here is that Munster is a hurling province and 5 of the County Boards in the province have traditionally treated Gaelic Football as a second class citizen.

In fact, I think the footballers of the other 5 Munster counties don't get nearly enough praise for what they manage to achieve in the likes of the League and qualifiers given that handicap.

Leinster is a predominantly football province, outside Kilkenny, Wexford and to a much lesser extent Laois, Westmeath and Carlow.

That's the nub of it and you cannot treat Kerry in Munster and Dublin in Leinster as if it is one and the same. They are two entirely different Eco-systems, if you will.

The other counties of Munster choose to favour hurling. Kerry have no influence on that and how could they?

The counties of Leinster devout most of their resources to football and yet are now just canon fodder to Dublin.

Argo, something is very rotten in the state of Leinster football because one county there has been given every possible support and advantage by Croke Park and the rest were left to rot."
Still whinging ? winter well -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2115 - 24/11/2020 15:12:29    2314730

Link