Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lads, was sorting old programmes out there this morning and came across 2004 national league game, Kerry vs Dublin up in Parnell Park.

What struck me was Declan O'Keeffe was on the bench.. I though he retired in 2003 after the Tyrone game - I hadn't reading or maybe more forgotten he was sub to Diarmuid in 2004.

New brush sweep clean obviously with regard to Jack.

But back to both your comments - the silence from Curran's is deafening, the only bit of info is what we read two weeks ago in Kerry's eye... jez it times like this I miss the 'Kingdom' news paper, Kerry yes is great for sport and wee bit ahead of the kerryman but the kingdom had the finger on the pulse, maybe being in killarney they had an inside track... it was well worth the money every Tuesday morning.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 09/10/2020 12:48:36    2296555

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads, was sorting old programmes out there this morning and came across 2004 national league game, Kerry vs Dublin up in Parnell Park.

What struck me was Declan O'Keeffe was on the bench.. I though he retired in 2003 after the Tyrone game - I hadn't reading or maybe more forgotten he was sub to Diarmuid in 2004.

But back to both your comments - the silence from Curran's is deafening, the only bit of info is what we read two weeks ago in Kerry's eye... jez it times like this I miss the 'Kingdom' news paper, Kerry yes is great for sport and wee bit ahead of the kerryman but the kingdom had the finger on the pulse, maybe being in killarney they had an inside track... it was well worth the money every Tuesday morning."
I thought Declan was retired as well Horsebox after 03 semi defeat. Yea the Kingdom was a great paper for gaa and yeah there s nothing coming out of the training grounds as to who s on panel or not. I hate all this secrecy. Even the Kerry gaa website gone brutal for info. A few years ago twas much better. The supporters are being pushed further away all the time.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 09/10/2020 13:10:26    2296563

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads, was sorting old programmes out there this morning and came across 2004 national league game, Kerry vs Dublin up in Parnell Park.

But back to both your comments - the silence from Curran's is deafening, the only bit of info is what we read two weeks ago in Kerry's eye... jez it times like this I miss the 'Kingdom' news paper, Kerry yes is great for sport and wee bit ahead of the kerryman but the kingdom had the finger on the pulse, maybe being in killarney they had an inside track... it was well worth the money every Tuesday morning."
Horse I could have swore kieran Cremin from crokes was our sub keeper in 04, I'd say he was for the championship anyway but I could be wrong.

And when Fitzmaurice took over his first course of action was to cut the team off from the fans and close training sessions, we used to travel back to killarney from Dingle during the summer evenings/ Saturday mornings and watch the lads train, you'd have people from Derry Donegal West Meath Galway and Mayo and dublin down on their holidays watching and getting photos after the session.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 09/10/2020 14:19:12    2296591

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Horse I could have swore kieran Cremin from crokes was our sub keeper in 04, I'd say he was for the championship anyway but I could be wrong.

And when Fitzmaurice took over his first course of action was to cut the team off from the fans and close training sessions, we used to travel back to killarney from Dingle during the summer evenings/ Saturday mornings and watch the lads train, you'd have people from Derry Donegal West Meath Galway and Mayo and dublin down on their holidays watching and getting photos after the session."
Never understood why they couldn't have on session, once a week or fortnight that could be open.

I mean it could easily be one in which any new tactics etc are not practiced if they are worried people from other counties are going in to spy.

The connection between a team and its supporters is hugely important, you only have to see the impact of the pandemic and the loss of the crowds to understand that.

Everything possible should be done to cement that glue.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 09/10/2020 15:29:16    2296601

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Horse I could have swore kieran Cremin from crokes was our sub keeper in 04, I'd say he was for the championship anyway but I could be wrong.

And when Fitzmaurice took over his first course of action was to cut the team off from the fans and close training sessions, we used to travel back to killarney from Dingle during the summer evenings/ Saturday mornings and watch the lads train, you'd have people from Derry Donegal West Meath Galway and Mayo and dublin down on their holidays watching and getting photos after the session."
Yes I just looked at 2004 final programme v Mayo. Kieran Cremin was sub goalie

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 09/10/2020 16:21:41    2296609

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Never understood why they couldn't have on session, once a week or fortnight that could be open.

I mean it could easily be one in which any new tactics etc are not practiced if they are worried people from other counties are going in to spy.

The connection between a team and its supporters is hugely important, you only have to see the impact of the pandemic and the loss of the crowds to understand that.

Everything possible should be done to cement that glue."
100% the hermit it very important to keep the connection between the kerry team and the supporters especially the young supporters , sure most young lads in kerry today would have nearly more interest in what Bruno Fernández or Paul Pogba are at in the Premiership then what Clifford and O'Shea are at for Kerry.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 09/10/2020 20:08:00    2296631

Link

I see from kerry radio Facebook that Jack Barry will miss the Monaghan game, he and Kearney were the pairing for the last few league games that's our 'current' pairing out.

Adrain Spillane and an other so.... question is who..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 09/10/2020 23:09:07    2296647

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I see from kerry radio Facebook that Jack Barry will miss the Monaghan game, he and Kearney were the pairing for the last few league games that's our 'current' pairing out.

Adrain Spillane and an other so.... question is who.."
Ya Jack got hurt in St Brendans semifinal horse he should be grand for Cork I'd say, but I still don't know what's up with Kearney.

I suppose it'll be Moran and Spillane in midfield v Monaghan and Donegal which is grand considering Moran needs the game time.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 10/10/2020 11:59:35    2296680

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya Jack got hurt in St Brendans semifinal horse he should be grand for Cork I'd say, but I still don't know what's up with Kearney.

I suppose it'll be Moran and Spillane in midfield v Monaghan and Donegal which is grand considering Moran needs the game time."
Ya unless the two new lads O'Sullivan or O'Connor are doing well in training, i have a feeling we'll see more youth this year so I'd imagine Diarmuid O'Connor could see more game time - of course Sherwood is also an option.

Good to hear Peter Crowley back inside, I'm convinced we would have held out for the win in the drawn final - we were lacking that bit of experience in last ten minutes.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 10/10/2020 16:31:22    2296699

Link

First league game I think we'll see Moran and Spillane midfield with Diarmuid O'Connor at wing forward. When Barry comes back I think we'll see him partnering Moran and either Spillane or O'Connor at wing forward. Liam Kearney was on Terrace Talk last Monday night talking about his new business but he said it was against Feale Rangers in the first round of the County Championship that he picked up his injury. He said he's over the worst of it now but by the way he was talking I don't think he'll be available for Monaghan which kind of puts him out of the picture for championship really. He probably wouldn't have been involved anyway, a full league campaign next year and then you'd see where's he's at.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 10/10/2020 17:58:08    2296714

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya unless the two new lads O'Sullivan or O'Connor are doing well in training, i have a feeling we'll see more youth this year so I'd imagine Diarmuid O'Connor could see more game time - of course Sherwood is also an option.

Good to hear Peter Crowley back inside, I'm convinced we would have held out for the win in the drawn final - we were lacking that bit of experience in last ten minutes."
Ya I'd say kerry15 might be on the ball with Moran Spillane and O'Connor on the wing horse, hopefully we'll get a look at sherwood at 3 and Morley at 6.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 10/10/2020 21:18:06    2296728

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya I'd say kerry15 might be on the ball with Moran Spillane and O'Connor on the wing horse, hopefully we'll get a look at sherwood at 3 and Morley at 6."
Being honest I agree, I'd rather Sherwood at 3 and think this inclusion will permit an extended run for Morley at 6 who would solidify our defence. I'd love to see the how the balance would be to a back six of Paul Murphy Jack Sherwood Tom Sullivan Gavin Crowley Tadgh Morley and Gavin White. Think this half back line has more balance as Morley will hang back and maintain cover for the full back line as bring a full back he will be only well aware of the requirements.

What ye think?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 10/10/2020 22:29:40    2296743

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "First league game I think we'll see Moran and Spillane midfield with Diarmuid O'Connor at wing forward. When Barry comes back I think we'll see him partnering Moran and either Spillane or O'Connor at wing forward. Liam Kearney was on Terrace Talk last Monday night talking about his new business but he said it was against Feale Rangers in the first round of the County Championship that he picked up his injury. He said he's over the worst of it now but by the way he was talking I don't think he'll be available for Monaghan which kind of puts him out of the picture for championship really. He probably wouldn't have been involved anyway, a full league campaign next year and then you'd see where's he's at."
Thanks for that kerry 15, that solves that conundrum anyway.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 11/10/2020 08:39:29    2296752

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Being honest I agree, I'd rather Sherwood at 3 and think this inclusion will permit an extended run for Morley at 6 who would solidify our defence. I'd love to see the how the balance would be to a back six of Paul Murphy Jack Sherwood Tom Sullivan Gavin Crowley Tadgh Morley and Gavin White. Think this half back line has more balance as Morley will hang back and maintain cover for the full back line as bring a full back he will be only well aware of the requirements.

What ye think?"
Where's Peter Crowley though Horse?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 11/10/2020 10:10:04    2296759

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Where's Peter Crowley though Horse?"
Peter is only returned to club action and requires competitive inter county level training to be considered, at present Graham, Foley, Enright are slightly ahead of him but that's a great complaint. Mid field is still my primary concern and the number 16 shirt.. I was disappointed Eoghan O'Brien was removed from county panel - personally I'd have him ahead of Kelly, but thats just my opinion.

What would you and K'boy start against Monaghan?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 11/10/2020 11:38:40    2296779

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Peter is only returned to club action and requires competitive inter county level training to be considered, at present Graham, Foley, Enright are slightly ahead of him but that's a great complaint. Mid field is still my primary concern and the number 16 shirt.. I was disappointed Eoghan O'Brien was removed from county panel - personally I'd have him ahead of Kelly, but thats just my opinion.

What would you and K'boy start against Monaghan?"
Id Def prefer Murphy in the half back line and I also. I like the idea of Sherwood Morley fb and CB and they could interchange. Defense def has to improve this year or we ve no hope. Will Buckley influence be missed or will the defense rise to the occasion. We need more from midfield also. We have loads of scoring forwards but need a couple of hard grafters too

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 11/10/2020 12:07:12    2296783

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Being honest I agree, I'd rather Sherwood at 3 and think this inclusion will permit an extended run for Morley at 6 who would solidify our defence. I'd love to see the how the balance would be to a back six of Paul Murphy Jack Sherwood Tom Sullivan Gavin Crowley Tadgh Morley and Gavin White. Think this half back line has more balance as Morley will hang back and maintain cover for the full back line as bring a full back he will be only well aware of the requirements.

What ye think?"
Sherwood at 3 and Morley at 6 could be decent but it means a few things. One of Gavin Crowley, Murphy or White can't start as none can play corner back. Either Foley, Peter Crowley or Graham O'Sullivan would go into corner back. You have to ask yourself have you enough confidence in Sherwood to be the main man marker in the full back line? It'll mean he'll be picking up Brian Hurley and Mannion/O'Callaghan as his most difficult opponents say if our route goes as expected, in fairness I'd actually back him to do well enough in those battles. Finally will Morley make a big difference at 6? He was excellent there before going back to full back but he has definitely put on a lot of upper body strength and it appears that he has possibly gotten a bit slower. Still, thinking about I would say that he would be a very good 6 and would block things up. After thinking about it is a very good option.

Option 1 Defence:
Sherwood Morley TO'Sullivan
Murphy GCrowley White

Option 2 Defence:
PCrowley/Foley Sherwood TO'Sullivan
Murphy Morley GCrowley/White

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 11/10/2020 13:15:39    2296794

Link

In reality I think Morley Murphy and Tom Sullivan are certs for starting positions. The other 3 slots will be hard to pick between the 2 Crowley s Foley Sherwood Graham Sullivan Ó Beaglaoi White Enright and Lyne. I think we need two good man markers in the F B line but I'd nearly give Tom Sullivan more freedom and push him out to the half back line. Even CB an option for Tom. Also maybe Paul Murphy could play hag forward again if need be atho I'd prefer him half back. What about a backline of P. Crowley Sherwood Graham Sullivan. Murphy Morley Tom Sullivan with Sherwood and Morley interchanging. Or Enright Morley P. Crowley. Murphy Tom Sull and White

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 11/10/2020 14:31:22    2296803

Link

Lads I'm not gone on Gavin White starting, I'd love to be bringing him in with 20 mins to go to run at tired defenders and to give is an out ball if we're under the cosh.

My defence if everyone is match fit and up to speed is P Crowley Sherwood O'Beaglaoich, Gavin Crowley Morley Tom Sullivan.

I dont know where Graham Ó'Sullivan is at in the pecking order at the minute but I'm a big fan of his, Foley seem to have plateaued short of where he needs to be which is disappointing as hes very athletic but seems to lack a bit of aggression, Enright plays the sweeper roll excellently but he was getting bate at corner back 6 years ago so I don't think I'd play him in there.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 11/10/2020 15:43:51    2296822

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Lads I'm not gone on Gavin White starting, I'd love to be bringing him in with 20 mins to go to run at tired defenders and to give is an out ball if we're under the cosh.

My defence if everyone is match fit and up to speed is P Crowley Sherwood O'Beaglaoich, Gavin Crowley Morley Tom Sullivan.

I dont know where Graham Ó'Sullivan is at in the pecking order at the minute but I'm a big fan of his, Foley seem to have plateaued short of where he needs to be which is disappointing as hes very athletic but seems to lack a bit of aggression, Enright plays the sweeper roll excellently but he was getting bate at corner back 6 years ago so I don't think I'd play him in there."
You don't have Murphy on that backline. Would you have him in the forwards. Imo he has to be on team

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 11/10/2020 16:18:07    2296831

Link