Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Kerry15:  "Connolly retiring doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the championship. If he was going to have a big role to play he wouldn't be retiring. Last time he did anything of note at all at all at Inter County level was 2017."
I agree he has nt done much last few year but a lot due to circumstances. You ré prob right though Kerry 15 as he 33 year old now but he d still put a fear factor into the opposition. I just think that Dublin should be a little weaker this year with both Diarmuid and Jack gone but maybe Dublin still too strong for the rest

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 01/10/2020 19:22:36    2295136

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Connolly retiring doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the championship. If he was going to have a big role to play he wouldn't be retiring. Last time he did anything of note at all at all at Inter County level was 2017."
Agree, a peripheral figure these past few years. He seemed to be a cult hero for the Hill hence the tendency towards over-evaluation on their part.
A great player for sure, but give me Gooch any day. And you can't separate the man on the field from the stuff off it.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 01/10/2020 20:31:11    2295145

Link

Ya, I was a big admirer of Connolly, I'm trying to remember i think it was the 2017 final against Mayo, it was one of the Mayo finals and he was outstanding, no one could could near him. A serious serious talent but not a loss to Dublin and was playing little ball under Gavin the last 18 months.

Connolly gone, Jack Mac gone, Paul Clarke gone... it bodes well for the other 31 counties ....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 01/10/2020 20:44:03    2295147

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Jack Sherwood announced as player of the championshipSurely in with a great chance now of a starting position. Mr. Dependable."
Ya he has been so so consistent the last two or three years for Firies and East Kerry ... would love to see him getting an extended run in full back and maybe this may release Tadgh to centre back .

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 01/10/2020 20:46:17    2295148

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Pacier of course."
Ya I'd say Maurice was pacier all right, he used to just glide over the grass and could kick off left or right on the run.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 01/10/2020 21:30:19    2295155

Link

100%, 1 lad over on the main page says he's the player of this generation but I suspect he's a dub in disguise (probably another 1 of the multi's) , I mean he was good but there were plenty of games where you wouldn't know he was on the field.

He has 2 all stars, sure James O'Donaghue has 2 all-stars and hes only played about 3 full seasons due to injury :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 01/10/2020 21:44:30    2295157

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya he has been so so consistent the last two or three years for Firies and East Kerry ... would love to see him getting an extended run in full back and maybe this may release Tadgh to centre back ."
Agreed. I think Sherwood deserves to be in the first fifteen and while I'd prefer him Centre back I would nt mind him in full back either and as you stated horsebox it could free up Morley

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 01/10/2020 21:46:29    2295158

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "100%, 1 lad over on the main page says he's the player of this generation but I suspect he's a dub in disguise (probably another 1 of the multi's) , I mean he was good but there were plenty of games where you wouldn't know he was on the field.

He has 2 all stars, sure James O'Donaghue has 2 all-stars and hes only played about 3 full seasons due to injury :-)"
I wouldn't put Connolly up there with Michael Murphy anyway talent wise

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 01/10/2020 22:22:24    2295166

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I wouldn't put Connolly up there with Michael Murphy anyway talent wise"
I wouldn't either, Michael Murphy played on a team of of lads that couldn't win a game and he stormed them to 2 allireland finals winning 1 and totally transformed football in his county the other played on a team of professionals with everything handed to him on a plate and even with all that he couldn't behave himself..

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 02/10/2020 07:50:15    2295193

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "100%, 1 lad over on the main page says he's the player of this generation but I suspect he's a dub in disguise (probably another 1 of the multi's) , I mean he was good but there were plenty of games where you wouldn't know he was on the field.

He has 2 all stars, sure James O'Donaghue has 2 all-stars and hes only played about 3 full seasons due to injury :-)"
Consistency was always an issue with Connolly but it rarely gets mentioned because a teammate always stepped up when he went missing. As good as he was I'd take both Flynn and Kilkenny ahead of him if I was building a half forward line from scratch. I'd agree that his retirement doesn't move the needle either way. Mcaffery is a big loss though, albeit one I think they can easily deal with such is the depth of their panel.

I haven't been on in a while, how is everyone. My stream went down during the championship final so I had to revert to RK over the web. I hope they keep the streaming going though when crowds are allowed back. Very handy for fellas like me who are too far from home to make club games regularly.

There is still some doubt in my mind as to whether a championship will go ahead and conclude but looking forward to it nonetheless. It will be a very strange year.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 02/10/2020 10:31:46    2295220

Link

The the man child from Donegal has it all in spades, you would all have read me posting that he is the one payer from another county I would buy in a heartbeat if there was a transfer market.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 02/10/2020 10:44:51    2295224

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Consistency was always an issue with Connolly but it rarely gets mentioned because a teammate always stepped up when he went missing. As good as he was I'd take both Flynn and Kilkenny ahead of him if I was building a half forward line from scratch. I'd agree that his retirement doesn't move the needle either way. Mcaffery is a big loss though, albeit one I think they can easily deal with such is the depth of their panel.

I haven't been on in a while, how is everyone. My stream went down during the championship final so I had to revert to RK over the web. I hope they keep the streaming going though when crowds are allowed back. Very handy for fellas like me who are too far from home to make club games regularly.

There is still some doubt in my mind as to whether a championship will go ahead and conclude but looking forward to it nonetheless. It will be a very strange year."
All good here Gerry hope you're keeping well, the streaming even though unreliable at times is a god send.

Do you know once you purchase a game you can rewatch it for 30 days ad far ad I know so if you wanted to watch it back there should be no interruption.

Ya I agree with you about Connolly, he was a luxury more than a necessity.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 02/10/2020 11:13:10    2295230

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "All good here Gerry hope you're keeping well, the streaming even though unreliable at times is a god send.

Do you know once you purchase a game you can rewatch it for 30 days ad far ad I know so if you wanted to watch it back there should be no interruption.

Ya I agree with you about Connolly, he was a luxury more than a necessity."
Yeah I must go back and watch in full, just didn't take the time after I had listened on the radio. If they can get the service up and running properly in the future it would be great. I wonder would they be worried about it impacting on attendances though.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 02/10/2020 11:21:56    2295236

Link

Well I think almost all the inter-county games are going to be on TV once the All-Ireland starts so that's something. I suppose for most of us it will be the first time in years, or even ever, we will be watching Kerry games from afar on a tv rather than actually being there.

I'm taking nothing for granted as I see the Cork semi-final as a serious serious test and its all set up for a rebel ambush but just supposing we get through it and then go all the way to the All-Ireland final how strange and frustrating will it be to not be at it and having to watch it in the pub or on the couch at home.

I think it must be 2004 the last All-Ireland Kerry were in that I wasn't there and that's because the sister decided to get married abroad the day before it, thank God there was an Irish bar to watch it in!

Agree 100% on Murphy Horse, I'd be activating his release clause too if there was a transfer market. I used think the same as well about Sean Cavanagh when he was in his prime around 2008, but I kind of fell out of love with him towards the tail end of his career when he got so cynical.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 02/10/2020 12:08:18    2295244

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Yeah I must go back and watch in full, just didn't take the time after I had listened on the radio. If they can get the service up and running properly in the future it would be great. I wonder would they be worried about it impacting on attendances though."
Feck that's hard to know isn't it, especially when it's winter football would some be more inclined to stay by the fire instead of freezing their nuts off.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 02/10/2020 14:11:50    2295279

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well I think almost all the inter-county games are going to be on TV once the All-Ireland starts so that's something. I suppose for most of us it will be the first time in years, or even ever, we will be watching Kerry games from afar on a tv rather than actually being there.

I'm taking nothing for granted as I see the Cork semi-final as a serious serious test and its all set up for a rebel ambush but just supposing we get through it and then go all the way to the All-Ireland final how strange and frustrating will it be to not be at it and having to watch it in the pub or on the couch at home.

I think it must be 2004 the last All-Ireland Kerry were in that I wasn't there and that's because the sister decided to get married abroad the day before it, thank God there was an Irish bar to watch it in!

Agree 100% on Murphy Horse, I'd be activating his release clause too if there was a transfer market. I used think the same as well about Sean Cavanagh when he was in his prime around 2008, but I kind of fell out of love with him towards the tail end of his career when he got so cynical."
I haven't missed 1 since 2000 bud, I was abroad for 97.

Strange times but we'll adapt and with God's help over come.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 02/10/2020 14:27:30    2295290

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I haven't missed 1 since 2000 bud, I was abroad for 97.

Strange times but we'll adapt and with God's help over come."
Missed 2005 vs Tyrone - broke leg playing club football. Watched on local with foot up on barstool.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 02/10/2020 16:04:26    2295323

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Missed 2005 vs Tyrone - broke leg playing club football. Watched on local with foot up on barstool."
That's the last final I missed as well, was travelling that year. Watched it in an Irish bar in Thailand

Was touch and go for the replay last year, first time I really struggled to get a ticket and thought I'd be watching at home. Got sorted at the last minute thankfully

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 02/10/2020 19:04:52    2295357

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Missed 2005 vs Tyrone - broke leg playing club football. Watched on local with foot up on barstool."
You missed a great game horse, some atmosphere I was in the hill that day directly behind the goals watching when Peter the great got that goal.

Some ball from mugsy though.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 02/10/2020 19:06:23    2295358

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "You missed a great game horse, some atmosphere I was in the hill that day directly behind the goals watching when Peter the great got that goal.

Some ball from mugsy though."
You must have been close to me so Kingdomboy, was on the Hill too near enough the goal.

You were better off Horse watching from afar I tell you it was fairly depressing sitting on the concrete terrace with the light fading and the sea of white below on the pitch going mad. Think I was one of the few Kerry fans that was left by the time the cup was lifted, our supporters that day made a quick exit for home.

I think I just walked back through Dublin city centre after and it was like there hadn't been a final on at all it seemed that quite, but maybe that was just me lost in my own sorrows! All I did was buy a six-pack in the shop and just went back to the place I was renting as a student. I'd say I was in bed by half-ten!!

2006, now there was a day and night and weekend!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 02/10/2020 20:06:58    2295364

Link