Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Today would have been the league final (hard to believe) we should be facing into a month of club action next week :-(

On Peter Crowley, luckily Peters game wouldn't ever have depended too much on his speed but he's a good reader of the game.

Forgot about Moynihan as well.

I take it magahan will have given the lads fitness programs to work on while there off and will have their GPS connected to his computer to monitor their progress, if not he should be, and at least they'll have loads of recovery time, who knows it might stand to them later in the year."
What XV is in your Dingle head.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 29/03/2020 22:16:41    2274999

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "What XV is in your Dingle head."
I'd go with the same team that kerry 15 came up with horse, burns has been 1 of our stand out players in the league and if Crowley is fully fit I'd have him in the corner, although iv been impressed with Graham Ó'Sullivan as well.

I wonder will this inforsed break do our young lads a lot of good? As they seem to be playing nonstop.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 30/03/2020 10:41:46    2275011

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I'd go with the same team that kerry 15 came up with horse, burns has been 1 of our stand out players in the league and if Crowley is fully fit I'd have him in the corner, although iv been impressed with Graham Ó'Sullivan as well.

I wonder will this inforsed break do our young lads a lot of good? As they seem to be playing nonstop."
Ys what we lose on game time is the rest and freshness needed by the players that could do with the break, Paul Murphy, Stephen O'Brien, Seanie and DC.

Last few games PK has retained Enright at number 6 as a stay at home centre back - i see the logic as Murphy, White, O'Sullivan and Gavin Crowley have a tendency to attack. Still and he was impressive against Meath none of us have selected him in our starting XV. Similar with Sherwood he was outstanding all last year with East Kerry

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 30/03/2020 20:35:04    2275055

Link

Would he agree the summer gaa season is looking less and less likely?

I know its a poor second when compared to public health and rightly so.

I think a line could be drawn through certain aspects of the Gaa calender

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 11/04/2020 13:43:51    2275767

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Would he agree the summer gaa season is looking less and less likely?

I know its a poor second when compared to public health and rightly so.

I think a line could be drawn through certain aspects of the Gaa calender"
Ya it's hard to know when matches can resume. I would be hopeful of a championship being played though as even if it wasn't until September that games could resume it could be run off in 6 or 7 weeks. I think if it does resume this year and even if it's July or August I would get rid of the provincial championships. Ulster and Leinster would take too long with the amount of time to play matches we would have. Either have an open draw or split the country into East, West, South and North with 8 counties in each. If we start relatively early have the qualifiers otherwise straight knockout. As regards locally I've heard I think it was Peter Twiss on Radio Kerry saying that the County Championship was the priority when it came to club football in Kerry being completed. But I think the club championship should be the prioroty. That way every club and player gets to play serious matches and we also have a representative for the 3 grades of All Ireland championship.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 13/04/2020 10:52:37    2275875

Link

Kerry15, I have my doubts we will see much club football this year, I think the county league is a write off, at the very best we can hope for is a County championship with all clubs only seeing divisional championships late in the year,

That's at senior only and maybe U21 at a push. I think we can draw a line through all underage up as far as and including minor.

As for the inter county- it's anyone's guess.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/04/2020 13:18:43    2275945

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Kerry15, I have my doubts we will see much club football this year, I think the county league is a write off, at the very best we can hope for is a County championship with all clubs only seeing divisional championships late in the year,

That's at senior only and maybe U21 at a push. I think we can draw a line through all underage up as far as and including minor.

As for the inter county- it's anyone's guess."
Horse I think the league has to be finished, there are only 2 games left and we could forego the finals but teams have put a lot into them and teams like limerick and Cork and Armagh deserves their promotion.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 14/04/2020 14:02:08    2275948

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Horse I think the league has to be finished, there are only 2 games left and we could forego the finals but teams have put a lot into them and teams like limerick and Cork and Armagh deserves their promotion."
Well K'boy, no league, may not even be a championship - I think the best we can hope for is a scaled down version of the championship at inter-county level. At club level maybe the county championship at a push and like I said above the best the average club player will be the local divisional championships at senior level only - very late on in the year.

Actually this whole situation though will have a detrimental effect on player fall off. Some U16's and minor players will not kick ball again after the break from it...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/04/2020 18:39:34    2275976

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Well K'boy, no league, may not even be a championship - I think the best we can hope for is a scaled down version of the championship at inter-county level. At club level maybe the county championship at a push and like I said above the best the average club player will be the local divisional championships at senior level only - very late on in the year.

Actually this whole situation though will have a detrimental effect on player fall off. Some U16's and minor players will not kick ball again after the break from it..."
Ah well that's it so horse boy, I was hoping they'd finish the league at least this year.

I feel you're right about losing a lot of young talent from this as well, I even mentioned this on a thread on the main page.

When some young lads get a taste of freedom they'll bolt. This Covid 19 won't effect dublin but it could kill the country teams, howr we going to go to America and especially Newyork in the coming years for fundraising?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 14/04/2020 22:35:23    2275997

Link

Lads in not a season ticket holder I assumed the costings would be reevaluated and reimbursed - but by all accounts not... if so bad bad form.

I've already advised my chairman that in my opinion we should transfer all current membership payments to 2021 membership for underage - I honestly feel no underage ball will be kicked or pucked for the remainder of the year.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 15/04/2020 00:03:55    2276005

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads in not a season ticket holder I assumed the costings would be reevaluated and reimbursed - but by all accounts not... if so bad bad form.

I've already advised my chairman that in my opinion we should transfer all current membership payments to 2021 membership for underage - I honestly feel no underage ball will be kicked or pucked for the remainder of the year."
Fair play to you horse it's a good idea.

I'm a season ticket holder and ya we're not getting a refund.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 15/04/2020 20:47:20    2276065

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Fair play to you horse it's a good idea.

I'm a season ticket holder and ya we're not getting a refund."
Disgraceful if they make ye pay full price if its the case ye can't get to see a full normal calendar of inter-county games! If they are that tight for money they should be asking the Dublin Co Board to return some of the millions they gave them over the years ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 15/04/2020 21:19:36    2276069

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Disgraceful if they make ye pay full price if its the case ye can't get to see a full normal calendar of inter-county games! If they are that tight for money they should be asking the Dublin Co Board to return some of the millions they gave them over the years ;D"
Oh they won't make the dubs pay back any money the hermit, they're like the banks they're too big to fail and will always get bailed out.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 15/04/2020 23:14:15    2276076

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Oh they won't make the dubs pay back any money the hermit, they're like the banks they're too big to fail and will always get bailed out."
Ha ha I like that, the Anglo-Dublin Bank ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 16/04/2020 09:30:40    2276084

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Ha ha I like that, the Anglo-Dublin Bank ;D"
That's for sure :-).

Seriously though how do we see this going for us in kerry this year and in the future?

Like I said in a previous post we depend an awful lot on our fundraising in the US and especially Newyork, how are we going to go to those poor people with cap in hand asking for help when they'll be in probably a worse position.

And its not just us, it's also mayo and other counties, that depend on fundraising from the America and the Britain.

Will the gaa start helping all of us now and not just the capital?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 16/04/2020 10:35:21    2276095

Link

The gaa will firstly at top brass level circle the financial wagons and say we're down the attendance coffers free r the national league and quiet possibly the provincial championship.

They therefore will initially do nothing financially until the turn of the year, in saying that intercounty teams should have no training, travel or short term injury expenses and as a result should be flush to a degree and not require a handout,

What is crippling clubs at present is interest and loan repayments with no incoming payments as local lotto's have been disbanded and no gates from county league games.

Like I said in another post, clubs have their annual membership sitting in accounts as no requirement for outgoings or actual running costs and nothing is operational so therefore is there justification for retaining membership fee's.

Either way at present, balance sheet should be zero money wise there 'should' be no outgoings as all Gaa activities are on shutdown so inbox' nil, outbox bar loan interest but this could be zero if loan put on deferral,

Short term we fine.... it's the turn of the year when balance sheets are calculated and sponsors look for there justification for payment that we will run into trouble

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 16/04/2020 11:48:03    2276098

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "The gaa will firstly at top brass level circle the financial wagons and say we're down the attendance coffers free r the national league and quiet possibly the provincial championship.

They therefore will initially do nothing financially until the turn of the year, in saying that intercounty teams should have no training, travel or short term injury expenses and as a result should be flush to a degree and not require a handout,

What is crippling clubs at present is interest and loan repayments with no incoming payments as local lotto's have been disbanded and no gates from county league games.

Like I said in another post, clubs have their annual membership sitting in accounts as no requirement for outgoings or actual running costs and nothing is operational so therefore is there justification for retaining membership fee's.

Either way at present, balance sheet should be zero money wise there 'should' be no outgoings as all Gaa activities are on shutdown so inbox' nil, outbox bar loan interest but this could be zero if loan put on deferral,

Short term we fine.... it's the turn of the year when balance sheets are calculated and sponsors look for there justification for payment that we will run into trouble"
I know what you're saying and it makes sense but it costs 200,000 to maintain currans for the year plus Austin Stack Park and Fitzgerald stadiums will have to be up kept as well, all the equipment shipped to the players homes so they can maintain their fitness won't have come cheap either, like you say what will our sponsors have to say about this, I'm sure they won't give us money for nothing in return.

Sh1t is going to get real pretty soon Id say.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 16/04/2020 13:33:47    2276101

Link

Well we'll know what direction or road the gaa hierarchy will take is all on later on today- Could be an interesting and highly unique day in the history of the organisation.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 17/04/2020 11:36:40    2276155

Link

You know I'd love if posters would have the balls to just say, no horse I disagree and actually debate honourably like we used to do on the forum years ago. It was a great spot for discussions and genuine opinions, yes sometimes things got out of hand but at least it was there in black and white and not masked gorilla sniping from behind the keyboard.

The 2 thumbs down care to rationalise why and discuss. At the very least you might actually educate me.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 17/04/2020 15:20:36    2276171

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "You know I'd love if posters would have the balls to just say, no horse I disagree and actually debate honourably like we used to do on the forum years ago. It was a great spot for discussions and genuine opinions, yes sometimes things got out of hand but at least it was there in black and white and not masked gorilla sniping from behind the keyboard.

The 2 thumbs down care to rationalise why and discuss. At the very least you might actually educate me."
Horse they're trolls, don't take one blind bit of notice of them and with God's help the people who run the forum will get rid of it.

On the special Congress I listened to Marty on the 1 o'clock news and it doesn't look like they'll be a whole lot to it really.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 17/04/2020 16:19:07    2276173

Link