Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, hard to disagree or find fault. Time will tell I suppose. What is encouraging is in seven days we will be eagerly looking forward to a team selection for the hosting of Galway.

We'll be dissecting and debating in due course"
Yes and hopefully PK and his team can try a few new options. I'd love to go along the lines of. 1.E.O Brien. 2.P.Kilkenny 3.G. Ó Sullivan. 4.T.O Sullivan. 5.P.Murphy.6.J.Sherwood.7.T.Morley.8.J.O Connor 9.J.Barry.10.P.O Shea. 11.S.O Shea 12.E.Horan.13.K. Spillane 14.T.Walsh 15
T.Brosman. Subs. S. Ryan G. White, B
O Beaglaoi. J. Foley. D. Moran. L. Kearney. D. Clifford P. Geaney. J. O Donoghue. D. Ó Connor. D. Moynihan

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 07/05/2021 15:33:42    2340435

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Yes and hopefully PK and his team can try a few new options. I'd love to go along the lines of. 1.E.O Brien. 2.P.Kilkenny 3.G. Ó Sullivan. 4.T.O Sullivan. 5.P.Murphy.6.J.Sherwood.7.T.Morley.8.J.O Connor 9.J.Barry.10.P.O Shea. 11.S.O Shea 12.E.Horan.13.K. Spillane 14.T.Walsh 15
T.Brosman. Subs. S. Ryan G. White, B
O Beaglaoi. J. Foley. D. Moran. L. Kearney. D. Clifford P. Geaney. J. O Donoghue. D. Ó Connor. D. Moynihan"
This is what I posted a month or so ago - for me I'd be leaning along the lines of; Shane Ryan, Graham O'Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Adrain Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane.

That's still leave you options like Brión O'Beagleacht, Gavin Crowley, Jason Foley, Mike Breen, Liam Kearney, Joe O'Connor, Ronan Buckley & Mike Foley for midfield and up front, Dara Moynihan, Paul O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, the Crokes duo of Brosnan and Burns. James if he is still available and whatever new players that have joined the ranks.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 07/05/2021 20:31:10    2340459

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "This is what I posted a month or so ago - for me I'd be leaning along the lines of; Shane Ryan, Graham O'Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Tadgh Morley, Gavin White, Jack Barry, Adrain Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Seanie Shea, Paudie Clifford, David Clifford, Paul Geaney and Killian Spillane.

That's still leave you options like Brión O'Beagleacht, Gavin Crowley, Jason Foley, Mike Breen, Liam Kearney, Joe O'Connor, Ronan Buckley & Mike Foley for midfield and up front, Dara Moynihan, Paul O'Shea, Stephen O'Brien, the Crokes duo of Brosnan and Burns. James if he is still available and whatever new players that have joined the ranks."
A very good team Horse but that would be a championship team. For the league I would like to try a few others. Leave a few experienced players on to blister team but bring on others.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 07/05/2021 21:10:35    2340466

Link

No point in going too experimental on the league. Anyone getting valuable league time should be a realistic option for championship game time. It doesn't mean we have to go totally full strength, any newish player that management think could be useful should be given a look. I think Foley, Graham O'Sullivan, Gavin Crowley, Adrian Spillane, Diarmuid O'Connor, Ronan Buckley, Moynihan, Burns and Paudie all could particularly do with a start or at least significant time from the bench to see what level they're operating at. They won't all be able to get that so PK will have to choose wisely. Our 9 or 10 more guaranteed starters also need the games to work themselves into form for championship. All considered this could be a possible 15 against Galway;

Ryan
Foley Morley GO'Sullivan
Sherwood Crowley White
JO'Connor Barry
ASpillane O'Shea O'Brien
KSpillane Clifford Geaney

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 07/05/2021 22:31:47    2340477

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "A very good team Horse but that would be a championship team. For the league I would like to try a few others. Leave a few experienced players on to blister team but bring on others."
Ya, for the league if we had the luxury to experiment or even had a McGrath Cup.

O'Brien, Mike Breen, Gavin Crowley, Graham Sullivan, Tom Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, O'Beagleach, Liam Kearney, Diarmuid O'Conner, Dara Moynihan, Paudie Clifford, Paul O'Shea, Tony Brosnan, Seanie Shea, Killian Spillane.

Seanie played at full forward against Meath in Navan in 2019 super 8's and was outstanding and dangerous close to goal.

Like you it's a second half string or an established player in an alternative position.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 07/05/2021 22:46:03    2340482

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, for the league if we had the luxury to experiment or even had a McGrath Cup.

O'Brien, Mike Breen, Gavin Crowley, Graham Sullivan, Tom Sullivan, Jack Sherwood, O'Beagleach, Liam Kearney, Diarmuid O'Conner, Dara Moynihan, Paudie Clifford, Paul O'Shea, Tony Brosnan, Seanie Shea, Killian Spillane.

Seanie played at full forward against Meath in Navan in 2019 super 8's and was outstanding and dangerous close to goal.

Like you it's a second half string or an established player in an alternative position."
Yeah a good mix of experience to blend in with other players. Yes with no McGrath cup we have to try a few but still have a strong core to get through the league without being demoted.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 07/05/2021 22:59:15    2340483

Link

They're having A v B games lads so if fellas are showing up in those games they'll surely be rewarded with game time, I take it those games will be full blooded and lads will be bursting them selves to make the starting 15.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/05/2021 01:47:24    2340494

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "They're having A v B games lads so if fellas are showing up in those games they'll surely be rewarded with game time, I take it those games will be full blooded and lads will be bursting them selves to make the starting 15."
Im not too worried about the league once we don't get relegated so I'd like to see a few of the newbies get a chance. A proper chance.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 08/05/2021 10:51:50    2340509

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Im not too worried about the league once we don't get relegated so I'd like to see a few of the newbies get a chance. A proper chance."
Lads be more concerned with injuries, long lay offs and then straight into the bones of 80 minutes of full blooded games...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 08/05/2021 12:03:54    2340519

Link

Lads with the different selections it just shows tyhe dept of our squad.... we have a tidy panel of players to choose from.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 08/05/2021 12:31:20    2340525

Link

True if we stay injury free we have a nice panel to chose from. If we have a strong settled 26 come championship time then we capable of beating any team if management play to our strengths.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 08/05/2021 12:48:49    2340527

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "They're having A v B games lads so if fellas are showing up in those games they'll surely be rewarded with game time, I take it those games will be full blooded and lads will be bursting them selves to make the starting 15."
It's all well and fine to say that, and over a longer season I'd be more inclined to agree.

I see an issue with Kerry in that ye seem to have many of the same type of player vying for the same position: one is as good as the next. However, there can be a downfall in that, as I've seen happening to the Galway hurlers especially in the 1990s and 2000s, in that it militates against a settled, cohesive team. They switched and swapped so many players , each as good as the other, in those years, but won nothing.

I mean, would you go for a new guy who is going marginally better in training that a guy who has been through the experience of the build up, playing in, and loss of the AIF in 2019? You can't buy that experience l.

Unless a newcomer is totally blowing the lights out, I'd stick as close as possible to the 2019 team (20 players involved), that came so close, as those players would have that natural itch for another shot at it. Obviously, time factors in too, as in the case of David Moran. But overall, IMO, the less change for Kerry the better.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 08/05/2021 13:05:01    2340531

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It's all well and fine to say that, and over a longer season I'd be more inclined to agree.

I see an issue with Kerry in that ye seem to have many of the same type of player vying for the same position: one is as good as the next. However, there can be a downfall in that, as I've seen happening to the Galway hurlers especially in the 1990s and 2000s, in that it militates against a settled, cohesive team. They switched and swapped so many players , each as good as the other, in those years, but won nothing.

I mean, would you go for a new guy who is going marginally better in training that a guy who has been through the experience of the build up, playing in, and loss of the AIF in 2019? You can't buy that experience l.

Unless a newcomer is totally blowing the lights out, I'd stick as close as possible to the 2019 team (20 players involved), that came so close, as those players would have that natural itch for another shot at it. Obviously, time factors in too, as in the case of David Moran. But overall, IMO, the less change for Kerry the better."
Good point Forever. I have to concur with you there. Ideally I would like all forwards to be natural scorers and 1 or 2 to be very hard workers. We have an abundance of inside scoring forwards like Clifford Geaney O Donoghue K. Spillane T. Brosnan but our half forward line we have Seán Ó Shea but the other positions are up for grabs. Also our back line are full of half backs. O Beaglaoi G. Crowley White Murphy and Sherwood and Morley even more comfortable out in the half line. Even Tom Ó Sullivan and Graham prob more suited out their too.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 08/05/2021 16:04:32    2340556

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Im not too worried about the league once we don't get relegated so I'd like to see a few of the newbies get a chance. A proper chance."
Honestly I'm worried about the league mick, there are 3 trophies to play for, I believe we can win the league and munster but when it comes the big 1 and I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll come up short in that 1 so let's go out and win the league and Munster.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/05/2021 16:22:28    2340559

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Honestly I'm worried about the league mick, there are 3 trophies to play for, I believe we can win the league and munster but when it comes the big 1 and I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll come up short in that 1 so let's go out and win the league and Munster."
Fair enough but I think we capable of winning Sam too with the right tactics. It would be nice to win league but I'll be happier if we finish league with a settled team ready for the battle of the championship. For me Ryan is safe for keeper but only Tom Sullivan Morley and Murphy guaranteed starters at the back. Midfield up for grabs too with maybe Barry in pole position so maybe one slot going there. In the forwards for me again only 3 def starters in Ó Shea Clifford and Geaney vwith maybe O Brien ahead for one of the last 3 slots so u would like to see a few lads getting the chance to compete for those positions.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 08/05/2021 17:00:00    2340565

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It's all well and fine to say that, and over a longer season I'd be more inclined to agree.

Unless a newcomer is totally blowing the lights out, I'd stick as close as possible to the 2019 team (20 players involved), that came so close, as those players would have that natural itch for another shot at it. Obviously, time factors in too, as in the case of David Moran. But overall, IMO, the less change for Kerry the better."
Well I think whatever is considered your best 15 at the time has to be picked. Naturally some players develop better over a period while others might not progress as well. In saying that I do think our starting 15 should be very similar to 2019 as I'd still consider most of that 15 as our best 15.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say that we've a load of players of a similar level but not enough standout guaranteed starting players, but if you are I wouldn't agree. I think Ryan, Sherwood, Morley, Tom O'Sullivan, Murphy, White, Barry, O'Brien, O'Shea, Clifford and Geaney are all either guaranteed starters or very close to guaranteed.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 08/05/2021 17:02:22    2340567

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Well I think whatever is considered your best 15 at the time has to be picked. Naturally some players develop better over a period while others might not progress as well. In saying that I do think our starting 15 should be very similar to 2019 as I'd still consider most of that 15 as our best 15.

I'm not sure if you're trying to say that we've a load of players of a similar level but not enough standout guaranteed starting players, but if you are I wouldn't agree. I think Ryan, Sherwood, Morley, Tom O'Sullivan, Murphy, White, Barry, O'Brien, O'Shea, Clifford and Geaney are all either guaranteed starters or very close to guaranteed."
I mean that they're all good enough. That's the issue!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 08/05/2021 17:35:22    2340571

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Fair enough but I think we capable of winning Sam too with the right tactics. It would be nice to win league but I'll be happier if we finish league with a settled team ready for the battle of the championship. For me Ryan is safe for keeper but only Tom Sullivan Morley and Murphy guaranteed starters at the back. Midfield up for grabs too with maybe Barry in pole position so maybe one slot going there. In the forwards for me again only 3 def starters in Ó Shea Clifford and Geaney vwith maybe O Brien ahead for one of the last 3 slots so u would like to see a few lads getting the chance to compete for those positions."
Ya I'd agree with a lot of that although I think white is nailed on for a start as well, in fairness it's all about our centre column Ryan in goals and Morley fullback are certs then we hit trouble when we have no nailed down centre back and midfield is a total basket case (so bad that we have to rob 2 forwards to get by 1 for midfield and 1 as a sweeper ) centre forward Seánie and full forward Geaney or Clifford.

If our midfield and centre back problems don't get addressed and sorted in this league then we will not win the allireland in my opinion.

I was passing ASP today and there was something going on, don't know if it was the hurlers meeting up for a Puck about before the game tomorrow or what.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 08/05/2021 19:29:40    2340592

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya I'd agree with a lot of that although I think white is nailed on for a start as well, in fairness it's all about our centre column Ryan in goals and Morley fullback are certs then we hit trouble when we have no nailed down centre back and midfield is a total basket case (so bad that we have to rob 2 forwards to get by 1 for midfield and 1 as a sweeper ) centre forward Seánie and full forward Geaney or Clifford.

If our midfield and centre back problems don't get addressed and sorted in this league then we will not win the allireland in my opinion.

I was passing ASP today and there was something going on, don't know if it was the hurlers meeting up for a Puck about before the game tomorrow or what."
But in the main forum , you have already stated , Dublin will win the All Ireland ? -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2545 - 08/05/2021 23:27:36    2340628

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "But in the main forum , you have already stated , Dublin will win the All Ireland ? -:)"
Yes I did say that and I stand by what I said, dublin will win the allireland so what's that got to do with my post above?

What do you think of the dubs cheating and training during the training ban?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 09/05/2021 16:41:12    2340757

Link