Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheHermit:  "Serious knee injury in first session back training apparently.
This kind of thing will probably happen a lot this year considering the very short pre-season. Lads going from training on their own for months to high intensity squad full contact sessions.

We'll be blessed not to pick up a rake of serious knocks ourselves.

Can't help but think it just plays into Dublin's hands, a core group with years of strength and conditioning and more strength in dept that anyone else :("
Still obsessed with Dublin -:)

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2545 - 23/04/2021 08:49:28    2338478

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Still obsessed with Dublin -:)"
Maybe not going by Ciaràn Whelans article. I do think that one off games there is more scope for surprises ... on that note does anyone know is extra time in play for all games?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 23/04/2021 09:45:54    2338485

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Still obsessed with Dublin -:)"
Still obsessed with this forum?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 23/04/2021 11:28:52    2338499

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Maybe not going by Ciaràn Whelans article. I do think that one off games there is more scope for surprises ... on that note does anyone know is extra time in play for all games?"
I assume so Horse, given the very tight schedule.

Although is that also true of the All-Ireland final itself??

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 23/04/2021 11:30:05    2338500

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I assume so Horse, given the very tight schedule.

Although is that also true of the All-Ireland final itself??"
Actually ya, something tells me the All Ireland would have been a replay as the powers that be were afraid of a penalty shootout.

I recall Pat Spillane saying it would be grossly unfair on an amateur player to be directly respossible for his county losing ask All Ireland.

All club plans being rolled out now... we back during the week... can't wait

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 24/04/2021 08:21:23    2338595

Link

Any of ye listening to Radio Kerry's Weekend Sport Today, Gerry was discussing the upcoming league fixtures and player panel with Timmy Moynihan and Timmy gave a XV that he and his learned sports colleagues would like to see tried in a league game, now this is not the strongest XV or the C'ship XV but a team tried out in a league game to verify if the players in question are viable options in the chosen positions.

Although I didn't agree with the selection, there is merit to the selection and I could see where they were coming from .

One of the main talking points was the centre back selection and in fairness to you K'boy it's a selection you have often touted here.

Their selection was: Shane Ryan, Gavin Crowley, Tadgh Morley, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Jack Barry, Gavin White, Diarmuid O'Conner, Liam Kearney, Seanie Shea, James O'Donoghue, Stephen O'Brien, David Clifford, Tommy Walsh and Tony Brosnan.

What do ye make of the Radio Kerry selection?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 24/04/2021 19:57:38    2338654

Link

When it comes to unestablished players making a mark, I think we will be looking at small numbers. Graham O'Sullivan as discussed could take a corner back position. I see Joe O'Connor having a good chance as well. There's opportunities in midfield for someone to come in and his club performances last year were very good. Ronan Buckley will hope to keep his starting wing forward position. His tackling and defensive contribution is very good but I'd like to see him contributing to the attack more because he's as he's shown with East Kerry he's very capable of it. I see him competing with Adrian Spillane and Diarmuid O'Connor for the one wing forward position that we'd be looking for someone to bring a bit of size and defensive work rate. Then we've Paudie Clifford. I'd like to see him given league time to see if he can perform at IC level. I wouldn't see him as a starter but he could be very effective coming off the bench especially if a game has opened up a bit. His performances for EK have been first rate. Paul O'Shea might have an outside chance but unless he's really impressing in training I'd leave him with the u20s. He'll be crucial to them where I think this could be the year we win the All Ireland. What would be yer take on those 5 and is there anyone else ye could see having an impact?

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 24/04/2021 20:26:36    2338659

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "When it comes to unestablished players making a mark, I think we will be looking at small numbers. Graham O'Sullivan as discussed could take a corner back position. I see Joe O'Connor having a good chance as well. There's opportunities in midfield for someone to come in and his club performances last year were very good. Ronan Buckley will hope to keep his starting wing forward position. His tackling and defensive contribution is very good but I'd like to see him contributing to the attack more because he's as he's shown with East Kerry he's very capable of it. I see him competing with Adrian Spillane and Diarmuid O'Connor for the one wing forward position that we'd be looking for someone to bring a bit of size and defensive work rate. Then we've Paudie Clifford. I'd like to see him given league time to see if he can perform at IC level. I wouldn't see him as a starter but he could be very effective coming off the bench especially if a game has opened up a bit. His performances for EK have been first rate. Paul O'Shea might have an outside chance but unless he's really impressing in training I'd leave him with the u20s. He'll be crucial to them where I think this could be the year we win the All Ireland. What would be yer take on those 5 and is there anyone else ye could see having an impact?"
Everyone seems not to rate Jason Foley too highly...why so?
Also feel Killian Spillane is streets ahead of Brosnan.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 577 - 24/04/2021 20:59:57    2338660

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Any of ye listening to Radio Kerry's Weekend Sport Today, Gerry was discussing the upcoming league fixtures and player panel with Timmy Moynihan and Timmy gave a XV that he and his learned sports colleagues would like to see tried in a league game, now this is not the strongest XV or the C'ship XV but a team tried out in a league game to verify if the players in question are viable options in the chosen positions.

Although I didn't agree with the selection, there is merit to the selection and I could see where they were coming from .

One of the main talking points was the centre back selection and in fairness to you K'boy it's a selection you have often touted here.

Their selection was: Shane Ryan, Gavin Crowley, Tadgh Morley, Tom Sullivan, Paul Murphy, Jack Barry, Gavin White, Diarmuid O'Conner, Liam Kearney, Seanie Shea, James O'Donoghue, Stephen O'Brien, David Clifford, Tommy Walsh and Tony Brosnan.

What do ye make of the Radio Kerry selection?"
I often spoke of Jack Barry CB too but I think he might be more vital midfield. Also would like to see Graham Ó Sullivan get a run and Joe Ó Connor. Graham Ó Sullivan could be tried anywhere in the backs including fb and CB.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1953 - 24/04/2021 21:15:26    2338666

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Everyone seems not to rate Jason Foley too highly...why so?
Also feel Killian Spillane is streets ahead of Brosnan."
Jason Foley is an enigma. I thought he was going to become a top full back. Height and speed to burn. He does OK at corner back but for me should offer more. Maybe we too hard on him. He is good. I'm a big fan of Killian Spillane but I also think Tony Brosnan can do serious damage to opposing teams on dry sod.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1953 - 24/04/2021 21:45:50    2338669

Link

For me over the last up two years the stand out local players in the Kerry County Championship have been Jack Sherwood, Paudie Clifford, Liam Kearney and Dara Moynihan.,admittedly Kearney didn't really play much last year but he was still the driving force from midfield, I can see why Timmy rates him so highly. I do too.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 24/04/2021 22:05:49    2338674

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Jason Foley is an enigma. I thought he was going to become a top full back. Height and speed to burn. He does OK at corner back but for me should offer more. Maybe we too hard on him. He is good. I'm a big fan of Killian Spillane but I also think Tony Brosnan can do serious damage to opposing teams on dry sod."
Ya I think most Kerry supporters would have expected him to be a top class full back by now. Backs do tend to develop a bit later sometimes so maybe there is still a lot of improvement in him. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what he's lacking. Is it a bit of strength? He could be stickier, tighter. His footwork can let him down, I've seen him wrong footed too often. Developing a mean streak would be no bad thing. He's ok as you say but is he bit off what you need to win an All Ireland? I've gone for Sherwood at corner back in my team up above and I'd be much more confident with Sherwood facing a top forward than Foley. He's had some rough days at the office, McShane and Rock the first day in 2018 spring to mind. It would be fantastic if he could develop into the Senior we thought he'd be as a minor.

Killian Spillane and Tony Brosnan are 2 serious options. I'd probably start Spillane but Brosnan would be great to bring in. We're lucky to have 4 inside forwards of the quality we do.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 24/04/2021 23:34:22    2338683

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "For me over the last up two years the stand out local players in the Kerry County Championship have been Jack Sherwood, Paudie Clifford, Liam Kearney and Dara Moynihan.,admittedly Kearney didn't really play much last year but he was still the driving force from midfield, I can see why Timmy rates him so highly. I do too."
Paudie Clifford was brilliant in the County final setting up 1-06 against Pa Kilkenny. Tough and great heart.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 577 - 25/04/2021 03:05:36    2338685

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya I think most Kerry supporters would have expected him to be a top class full back by now. Backs do tend to develop a bit later sometimes so maybe there is still a lot of improvement in him. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what he's lacking. Is it a bit of strength? He could be stickier, tighter. His footwork can let him down, I've seen him wrong footed too often. Developing a mean streak would be no bad thing. He's ok as you say but is he bit off what you need to win an All Ireland? I've gone for Sherwood at corner back in my team up above and I'd be much more confident with Sherwood facing a top forward than Foley. He's had some rough days at the office, McShane and Rock the first day in 2018 spring to mind. It would be fantastic if he could develop into the Senior we thought he'd be as a minor.

Killian Spillane and Tony Brosnan are 2 serious options. I'd probably start Spillane but Brosnan would be great to bring in. We're lucky to have 4 inside forwards of the quality we do."
I agree with your points there K15. Sherwood was shaky in 13 when he was thrown into the heat of battle in an epic but since he was brought back by PK he has excelled anytime he has played. I would have Sherwood as a starter. Also we are blessed with inside forwards like Spillane Geaney Clifford James Donoghue Tony Brosnan. Great firepower and that's why we should use our strengths and use the firepower. The old adage is "The best form of defense is attack"

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1953 - 25/04/2021 10:30:41    2338697

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I agree with your points there K15. Sherwood was shaky in 13 when he was thrown into the heat of battle in an epic but since he was brought back by PK he has excelled anytime he has played. I would have Sherwood as a starter. Also we are blessed with inside forwards like Spillane Geaney Clifford James Donoghue Tony Brosnan. Great firepower and that's why we should use our strengths and use the firepower. The old adage is "The best form of defense is attack""
Kerry has some of the best forwards in the country yet very few balls are ever sent in to them from out the field. Tired of hearing such and such a back is great to go forward with the ball. In my opinion we are only giving the other team team to set up defensively and when the ball is finally brought up to the opponent's 45 full stop and the ball played latterly and now there usually twenty five players inside the 45.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 577 - 25/04/2021 18:06:10    2338717

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Kerry has some of the best forwards in the country yet very few balls are ever sent in to them from out the field. Tired of hearing such and such a back is great to go forward with the ball. In my opinion we are only giving the other team team to set up defensively and when the ball is finally brought up to the opponent's 45 full stop and the ball played latterly and now there usually twenty five players inside the 45."
Good point Gaa fan. The slow build up gives the opposition time to set up a wall. Long quick ball into forwards who can win their own ball is a very strong weapon.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1953 - 25/04/2021 18:59:22    2338723

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Kerry has some of the best forwards in the country yet very few balls are ever sent in to them from out the field. Tired of hearing such and such a back is great to go forward with the ball. In my opinion we are only giving the other team team to set up defensively and when the ball is finally brought up to the opponent's 45 full stop and the ball played latterly and now there usually twenty five players inside the 45."
Ya we need to get fast, direct, winnable ball into our scorers. What I hope we don't see anymore of is long, high 50 50 balls into the full forward line. It was great when we had Donaghy but it's time to totally move away from it. It killed us at the start of the 2019 replay and usually balances out as a big negative for us.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 25/04/2021 20:12:59    2338735

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya we need to get fast, direct, winnable ball into our scorers. What I hope we don't see anymore of is long, high 50 50 balls into the full forward line. It was great when we had Donaghy but it's time to totally move away from it. It killed us at the start of the 2019 replay and usually balances out as a big negative for us."
Watch the County Final again and see the balls Paudie Clifford gave to the scorers of the goal and six points. All they had to do was turn and put the ball over or under....no lamping the ball in but picking out a man in great scoring position and delivering an intelligent pass. The best thing about him that day was that he did not select his brother but rarely, kept the backs guessing.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 577 - 26/04/2021 02:21:08    2338761

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Watch the County Final again and see the balls Paudie Clifford gave to the scorers of the goal and six points. All they had to do was turn and put the ball over or under....no lamping the ball in but picking out a man in great scoring position and delivering an intelligent pass. The best thing about him that day was that he did not select his brother but rarely, kept the backs guessing."
Ya Paudie is a class act gaa fan no doubt about it, he's very Galvinesque with his passing but PK seems to have a thing about picking him, like he only brought him on in last years munster semifinal in injury time with 3-4 minutes left on the clock.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 26/04/2021 10:38:53    2338788

Link

I just read that eir sport are showing the Kerry Galway league game in a few weeks time, that's rough on supporters who don't have an eir sports subscription (luckily I have it) but hopefully Kerry gaa might steam it as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 26/04/2021 11:15:26    2338798

Link