Wicklow Forum

SFC

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Blesso are gone for a generation after that defeat to Arklow. Wont be contenders at all next few years . Serious damage done."
I too would not necessarily agree with that post re the quality of the senior championship. The Intermediate match was no earthmover either. Congrats to Dunlavin but to say they will make an impression in senior next year. I think it's more of a case that standards have levelled down rather than up. Ashford Saturday was no exception and while on that, best wishes to all involved in that near tragedy in Enniskerry. And by the way, if this sounds like doom and gloom, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just calling it as I and most people I know see it. With the exception of glimmers from minor down all our inter county experiences have been slipping for years. Just because we wish it was different won't make it so.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 14/10/2019 15:22:02    2243436

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Square ball stop will you everyone knows you are and wick low support and your new name free thinker are all the same person.

I toild you before this is a sign of madness.

The games you wereat recently were In Kildate we know that thanks to freethinker !!"
Pat you really need to stop smoking whatever you do before you come on here to post your thoughts. I have only ever posted on here under the one name, namely wicklowsupport and my only reason for posting, is to express what I think should be done to move wicklow football forward. I am open to hearing what other people have to say as long as it is based on some form of logic and rational. I even listen to what you have to say but I find it hard to understand what you think is the best way forward for the county.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1149 - 14/10/2019 20:57:08    2243543

Link

Aside from the question marks over the quality of the football, one positive from yesterday was the big crowd. Two big towns in the final and just underlines the fact that, if things could be done properly on a consistent basis, there is a product that people would buy into in Wicklow GAA It's no surprise that those who are doing the most to positively promote Wicklow GAA, like the Garden County Sport crew, are knowledgeable , enthusiastic gaels who sit outside the officialdom tent, while those inside the tent continue to bring nothing but embarrassment & incompetence as the recent minor football and senior hurling draw debacles showed.

Also fair play to Ashford GAA on their handling of the two county finals on Sat. Excellently turned out facilities including pipe band for the day , proper plan in place with regards to parking etc and communicated in advance.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 65 - 14/10/2019 21:54:31    2243564

Link

Replying To Hawkeye2:  "Aside from the question marks over the quality of the football, one positive from yesterday was the big crowd. Two big towns in the final and just underlines the fact that, if things could be done properly on a consistent basis, there is a product that people would buy into in Wicklow GAA It's no surprise that those who are doing the most to positively promote Wicklow GAA, like the Garden County Sport crew, are knowledgeable , enthusiastic gaels who sit outside the officialdom tent, while those inside the tent continue to bring nothing but embarrassment & incompetence as the recent minor football and senior hurling draw debacles showed.

Also fair play to Ashford GAA on their handling of the two county finals on Sat. Excellently turned out facilities including pipe band for the day , proper plan in place with regards to parking etc and communicated in advance."
Have to agree about the crowds on Sunday - and Saturday. We are all agreed that we have a sleeping giant in Wicklow that just needs something to get it excited. Like we said before, Micko proved that, if nothing else. People who have the best interests of our association in the county will buy into anything that makes sense but what we have saddled ourselves with makes no sense to anyone yet we keep voting them in. Some even have honorary positions. Only the Good Lord will retire them, not that I would wish them anything other good health. Others will hang in until honours are bestowed on them too and so it goes on. Very few things that are broken fix themselves in my experience. But not enough people are interested in fixing anything it seems to me. Despite what the super optimists say and think, things just won't improve and it won't all come good without major surgery. Remember, we all were those optimists back in the day. Hoping and believing that next year it will be better. A new manager will sort it. It didn't get better and it won't ..... unless ........

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 14/10/2019 22:54:27    2243578

Link

St pats v Ferbane? Dunlavin v Caulry? Opinions

Should be St Pats oppertunituy to shine in Leinster now hopefully. They have a point to prove after the shambles last year of playing the day after county final. This will be a good opportunity to answer some of the questions asked on this forum regarding standard of senior football in Wicklow

Think Dunlavin are down a couple with one of the Murtaghs gone travelling and possible a couple of others injured.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 80 - 24/10/2019 10:39:08    2245391

Link

Best of luck to both Pats and Dunlavin in their respective matches on Sunday. After the county finals, I would have given Dunlavin the best chance in their Leinster adventure but if there are a number of players missing; added to the fact that they are away in westmeath, that might reduce their chances. St. Pats were far from impressive in the county final but they have had two weeks so it will be interesting to see how they fare against ferbane. Again, they are away from home which can be tough in the competition. Also, it is good to see the name An Tochar back in leinster championship action in the junior. Hopefully all three can make progress and offer evidence that Wicklow clubs are getting back to being competitive and a force in leinster club championship again. I have reservations that this is the case but this is a chance for the teams to prove me wrong.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1149 - 24/10/2019 15:21:50    2245496

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "St pats v Ferbane? Dunlavin v Caulry? Opinions

Should be St Pats oppertunituy to shine in Leinster now hopefully. They have a point to prove after the shambles last year of playing the day after county final. This will be a good opportunity to answer some of the questions asked on this forum regarding standard of senior football in Wicklow

Think Dunlavin are down a couple with one of the Murtaghs gone travelling and possible a couple of others injured."
I for one would love to see our county champions being competitive again in Leinster. Here's hoping that Pats can do is proud this weekend. Yes, last year was disgraceful expecting a team to play two days in a row. Pats should be just right. Achieved their back to back and 2 weeks to recover. Any whispers about these selectors ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 24/10/2019 15:38:28    2245500

Link

Pats not hope in hell. Spent last 2 weeks lorrying pints and ating out of the chippers. One of the forwards i can guarantee is definitely a stone heavier today than he was county final day Watch on Sunday

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 343 - 24/10/2019 21:31:52    2245577

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Pats not hope in hell. Spent last 2 weeks lorrying pints and ating out of the chippers. One of the forwards i can guarantee is definitely a stone heavier today than he was county final day Watch on Sunday"
Jeez PM. And there was me thinking you were from the West. I see KFC are leaving Arklow. I wonder if AGB had won might it have saved them ?? An interesting choice of selector I note. Nobody from West Wicklow. Still, I'd imagine that Jameson would know where every footballer is in the county. Hassett certainly has inter county experience in his cv. I would like to see what kind of plan will be out in place for the next number of years and I hope that the u20s are involved in it. Then, naturally will come the old hot potatos, money, and sufficient support from the county board. Next step will be getting players who are prepared to commit. Hope springs eternal. I wonder how many pots of tea were required tonight in Ballinakill.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 25/10/2019 00:46:50    2245614

Link

I am from the west but I get about the county with work. There was 20- 25 at trial the other night I heard some names and I tell you a few of them boys are in no shape for senior club. football never mind play county.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 343 - 26/10/2019 17:22:49    2245955

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Pats not hope in hell. Spent last 2 weeks lorrying pints and ating out of the chippers. One of the forwards i can guarantee is definitely a stone heavier today than he was county final day Watch on Sunday"
What do you think of that Pat.Mustard?

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 434 - 27/10/2019 19:10:27    2246164

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "I am from the west but I get about the county with work. There was 20- 25 at trial the other night I heard some names and I tell you a few of them boys are in no shape for senior club. football never mind play county."
Good man Pat. You're in the know as usual.... did the dogs in the street tell you about the chippers in Wicklow

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 444 - 27/10/2019 19:52:51    2246166

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "Good man Pat. You're in the know as usual.... did the dogs in the street tell you about the chippers in Wicklow"
I think those Townies pulled the wool over your eyes there PM. You couldn't be up to them. Congrats to Pats, Dunlavin and hard luck to R/Wood. A good weekend for Wicklow football all in all. What will be the situation with Davy now that his Kildare charges are in the Leinster Club Championship too. Congrats to him too, by the way. Surely he won't be able to combine both ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 27/10/2019 21:32:13    2246182

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "Good man Pat. You're in the know as usual.... did the dogs in the street tell you about the chippers in Wicklow"
I think those Townies pulled the wool over your eyes there PM. You couldn't be up to them. Congrats to Pats, Dunlavin and hard luck to R/Wood. A good weekend for Wicklow football all in all. What will be the situation with Davy now that his Kildare charges are in the Leinster Club Championship too. Congrats to him too, by the way. Surely he won't be able to combine both ??

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 27/10/2019 22:48:55    2246197

Link

Fair play to Pats. We are over the first round. Port will be a stiffer test for our champions. They are the big dogs in Laois. Football in Offaly is in the doldrums, a little like ourselves. I have no doubt that now that Casey has ran those ould pints and burgers out of his players they will give Port a good run for their money. Good to see Wicklow football getting a boost but also great to see Casey expanding his cv.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 28/10/2019 00:11:42    2246206

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Fair play to Pats. We are over the first round. Port will be a stiffer test for our champions. They are the big dogs in Laois. Football in Offaly is in the doldrums, a little like ourselves. I have no doubt that now that Casey has ran those ould pints and burgers out of his players they will give Port a good run for their money. Good to see Wicklow football getting a boost but also great to see Casey expanding his cv."
Not a word from about burgers mustard must be on the sauce over the weekend

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 434 - 28/10/2019 13:49:01    2246287

Link

Great wins for Pats and Dunlavin over the weekend; a big step up in the round when they take on the champions of laois and meath respectively but at least they are there. I would imagine that davy burke will double job between wicklow and sarsfield until sarsfield are out of the championship; shouldn't be a problem as the inter county is in its off season. A great performance yesterday by sarsfield. A team well drilled and organised, playing with passion and belief; if he can harness much the same with wicklow, there may be exciting times ahead.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1149 - 28/10/2019 17:48:25    2246321

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "Great wins for Pats and Dunlavin over the weekend; a big step up in the round when they take on the champions of laois and meath respectively but at least they are there. I would imagine that davy burke will double job between wicklow and sarsfield until sarsfield are out of the championship; shouldn't be a problem as the inter county is in its off season. A great performance yesterday by sarsfield. A team well drilled and organised, playing with passion and belief; if he can harness much the same with wicklow, there may be exciting times ahead."
I think both teams have a great chance but maybe thats overly optimistic based on whats gone before in Leinster. This is not a vintage Portlaoise team and wouldn't be a patch on the team with Parkinson, Aiden Fennelly, Ian Fitzgerald etc. They struggled against Killeshin relying on the scoring ability of veteran Bruno McCormack. Pats appear in good shape.
Similarly Nobber's main man is Brian Farrell who had retired form Meath county football when Ballymore beat them in the Leinster final in 2010 so he must be at least 40. Dunlavin seem to be strong squad wise with Gary Allen and Daniel Dawson on the bench most of the year, according to the discussion/ preview podcasts on the internet.

Best of luck to both anyway

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 80 - 30/10/2019 10:07:23    2246588

Link

Any more thoughts before the weekend? I listened to the GAA hour with Colm Parkinson on the way to work and interestingly he gave St Pats a good chance against his home club Portlaoise. Maybe he knows something we don't but like I said in earlier post this is not the best Portlaoise team.
On paper Dunlavin have a load of former and current Wicklow Senior and underage players in the squad so here's hoping they can do the business also

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 80 - 08/11/2019 15:20:57    2248603

Link

Congrats to Pats on a great performance yesterday. Another shot in the arm for our beleaguered and often critisised football standards. An absolutely shitty way to exit a Gaelic Football Competition it has to be said. That peno stuff has absolutely no part to play in our games, in my opinion. Like Casey said, no team would have a problem going to play an away game, even midweek under lights but to go out to something imported from soccer is disgusting to my mind. Let's hope that a motion is brought before the county convention deploring this looney rule and that it gets taken up by other counties and gets onto the agenda for Congress in 2020. It needs to be abolished ASAP full stop. Even a best out of 10 45s which is a skill in itself, would have more relevance to our games than that penalty shootout

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 255 - 11/11/2019 13:47:35    2249078

Link