Fermanagh Forum

National Football League - Division 3

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

ferm_till_i_die that's passing the buck. Fouls occur as it's part and partial of the game. However, it was Snow duty to look after the goal area and NOT the mid-fielder! Can you honestly say that Snow was superior in his league outings? Many of us think not and that's is why there is many calls for Gallagher's return.
By the way Erne_Supporter I think you mean Decky McCusker, not but many might think you were right first time as they character is the same!

tandem.made.4.2 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 5 - 10/04/2013 15:45:44    1364925

Link

Yous have a few nice footballers with the makings of a nice team but play very negative football and sadly wont be able to compete like this against the big boys of ulster in tyrone and donegal

ruck_over (Meath) - Posts: 2 - 11/04/2013 12:31:11    1365555

Link

How the mighty have fallen. The old saying is not to count your chickens before they are hatched is so true!

The tandem man, macca999 has been rather quiet since Sunday but I guess he was happy that he got the opportunity to indulge in his passion for following losers buses!

On a serious note, has the decisive defeat by Meath been a death nail in the coffin of this year's forthcoming championships or are we to be fed the same unrealistic media press releases that come back to haunt those behind such a campaign>

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 11/04/2013 13:59:52    1365684

Link

Yesterdays man would you only deem it a succesful campaign if Fermanagh won the all ireland? Even then I think you would be critical saying they wouldn't do it back to back.

Also were you not one of the people who said Fermanagh would get relegated. Is that egg on your face nice?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 11/04/2013 15:19:58    1365798

Link

i have been following posts on hoganstand a long time now and i have to say this 'yesterdaysman' is a disgrace to fermanagh football. he actually likes to see fermanagh fail. thats wat is wrong with fermanagh football. typical gaels man i suppose

jk88 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 2 - 11/04/2013 15:41:49    1365843

Link

jk88 please get your facts correct. I rarely have a bad word to say about the mainly O'Neill recruit Fermanagh team but I do question the role of O'Neill's replacement.

Unlike macca999 who posts under imaginary friends to criticise the Fermanagh players and/or management, I speak my mine - no hiding under any other name. If management aren't up to the mark then we all should be able to voice a construction criticism.

jk88 tell me, do you believe it was the team or was it the management that failed? I for one, would lay the blame at the the door of the current management.

YesterdaysMan (Fermanagh) - Posts: 732 - 11/04/2013 16:01:50    1365876

Link

thats where we differ..i dont see it as a failure. when u take into consideration all the injuries we had to crucial players through out the league and where we have came from this past few years i believe being a kick of a ball away from division 2 is a major step forward. i dont understand why you keep bringing up a former fermanagh manager..if truth b told he was out of his depth as he lacked any real experience with senior inter county footballers. you need to look the facts and the facts are we have moved forward under canavan..

jk88 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 2 - 11/04/2013 16:39:43    1365943

Link

Fermanagh are defo going in the right places. Eoin Donnelly James sherry and Sean quigley will make the squad much stronger.
My only worry now is players getting injured playing for their club and Fermanagh lacking fit forwards. Take the Meath game Kelly and Lyons are not scoring forwards, I really feel Kille and Keenan shud have been giving more game time last Sunday.
Onto club matters tis Sunday, game of the day has to be Belcoo v Lisnaskea.
Is it true Peter Canavan is going to have someone check every single game this year?????

Erne_Supporter (Fermanagh) - Posts: 136 - 11/04/2013 19:42:09    1366177

Link

Erne_Supporter it was disappointing that Ward didn't get his hands on the ball more than a half a dozen times against Meath and he is one of our best players. That spells bad news when the battle in the c'ship will be more uphill. The only solution is the recall of Seamus Quigley.

Jacob86 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 244 - 11/04/2013 21:22:11    1366277

Link

Firstly the match was lost in the first half. The decision to play 14 men behind the ball when we had a strong breeze at our backs was baffling. I was very frustrating to watch and understand. Containment and defence seems to be our only policy.
Secondly what was Ryan Jones doing playing wing half forward?
He was our star player on the field and only for him we would have behind at the break. He and Tommy McElroy seem to be the only players who can shoot with confidence from outside of 30 meters.
The Meath goal was a disaster in the first half. Started by a terrible ball from Marty McGrath into our full forward line and finished by a rugby tackle by Marty for the penalty. Before half time Marty was blowing hard and was isolated very successfully by Meath. He should be an impact substitute. He has been a great servant to Fermanagh football but there is a better man there for midfield (Jones) and he is holding his development back.
Then we come to the second half. McCusker's sending off was crazy. Complete rush of blood to the head and along with the penalty miss cost us any chance of winning the game.
Why when we were playing against a strong breeze and with only 14 men did Canavan fail to use his bench until the final 10-15 minutes giving these players limited time to make an impact?
More evidence of his poor decision making when it matters. It happened against Monaghan, Antrim and again against Meath.

A decent league campaign but when the pressure games were there to be won, the manager's poor decision making is holding this team back. We only have one way of playing that has been dedicated by the management and his backroom team. If the plan is not working then we stick with the plan. Fermanagh's system of play has been worked out as the league has progressed.
Has Peter got another way of playing? I hope us otherwise it will be a short summer.

FermanaghChief (Fermanagh) - Posts: 18 - 12/04/2013 11:12:39    1366422

Link

FermanaghChief
County: Fermanagh

Firstly the match was lost in the first half. The decision to play 14 men behind the ball when we had a strong breeze at our backs was baffling.

Many posters on the Meath forum knew this before the match so the Meath team obviously did as well. Everyone was talking about how negative Fermanagh are and will we be able to beat them as we play a more open style of football.

14 men behind the ball with the wind, it was obvious Canavan was thinking he had a lot to lose where as Meath went out to win.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 12/04/2013 17:53:25    1366725

Link

Fermanagh Chief alias macca999, the league is over and its time to move on! The Ulsters is the next big challenge and you will see both Fermanagh and Canavan rising to the occasion.

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 961 - 13/04/2013 12:30:23    1366893

Link