Fermanagh Forum

Dr Mckenna Cup 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Result:
5 Jan 2020
Dr McKenna Cup Round 2
Full-time: Antrim 2-8 (14) Fermanagh 0-13
(HT Antrim 0-4 Fermanagh 0-8

Fermanagh Starting Team: Thomas Treacy, Jonathan Cassidy, Lee Jones, Kevin McDonnell, Ryan Breen, Richard O'Callaghan, Eoin Sheils, Eoin Donnelly, Stephen McGullion, Lorcan McStravick, Aidan Breen, Ciaran Corrigan, Mark McCauley, Darragh McGurn, Tiarnan Bogue.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1289 - 05/01/2020 15:46:43    2257528

Link

Replying To ArthurDouglas:  "No you stated that they weren't becoming for the competition. I never stated that they should be winning the competition I only highlighted that they are competitive therefore they are becoming of the competition. "Nevertheless, they are not on equal par to county teams or indeed in their universities competition with historically, universities in the south of Ireland have dominated". I also never mentioned that they were on par with County teams as it is clear they are not. County teams are far superior. Universities in the south dominating also makes little sense, that is a matter of probability, size among other factors. There have been 107 Sigersons, 15 of which have been won by 3 Northern Colleges. 107/15 is roughly 7 per team average, Northern Colleges on average have won 5 each. Ulster University founded in 1968 and St Mary's with only 900 students, both factors would hinder their chances. I never got the chance to attend University but College football was always something that I would have loved to have been involved in.

I'm getting off my original point which is, if you think that college football isn't of a good standard, why then do Fermanagh not have more students representing their colleges? I think it is because they are simply not good enough. You may disagree. You also never answered my question on who was the last Cill Naile player to represent their University in either the Ryan or Sigerson Cup?"
Plenty of Fermanagh lads representing their colleges at the minute, more so at fresher level. You have to remember with 18 clubs and the smallest if not one of the smallest populations to pick from that's why we don't see more Fermanagh lads on college teams. Remember not all colleges compete in the Sigerson, still many players playing in the second and thirds division e.g Liverpool hope and john Moores

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 05/01/2020 15:48:36    2257529

Link

Replying To erneboy:  "Result:
5 Jan 2020
Dr McKenna Cup Round 2

Fermanagh Starting Team: Thomas Treacy, Jonathan Cassidy, Lee Jones, Kevin McDonnell, Ryan Breen, Richard O'Callaghan, Eoin Sheils, Eoin Donnelly, Stephen McGullion, Lorcan McStravick, Aidan Breen, Ciaran Corrigan, Mark McCauley, Darragh McGurn, Tiarnan Bogue."
The average age of that squad is bound to be about 23 or 24.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 05/01/2020 16:18:43    2257543

Link

Replying To allfermanagh:  "
Replying To erneboy:  "Result:
5 Jan 2020
Dr McKenna Cup Round 2

Fermanagh Starting Team: Thomas Treacy, Jonathan Cassidy, Lee Jones, Kevin McDonnell, Ryan Breen, Richard O'Callaghan, Eoin Sheils, Eoin Donnelly, Stephen McGullion, Lorcan McStravick, Aidan Breen, Ciaran Corrigan, Mark McCauley, Darragh McGurn, Tiarnan Bogue."
The average age of that squad is bound to be about 23 or 24."
Ha ha...average age of the squad is now being used to describe a disaster! Get real mate!

As I said last week...
Looking back at the Down game, I would say we will find Antrim more of a challenge than many might think unless the players make more of a co-ordinated effort. Corrigan and indeed Quigley if fit would make the frontline more successful. I await to be inspired by some of these new players but it may be wishful thinking on my part. So don't be surprised if we lose to the Antrim men.
cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 954 - 02/01/2020 16:33:18

If Fermanagh is to have a positive future in 2020 then Ricey needs to to do some serious thinking!

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 959 - 05/01/2020 17:48:18    2257563

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "
Replying To allfermanagh:  "[quote=erneboy:  "Result:
5 Jan 2020
Dr McKenna Cup Round 2

Ha ha...average age of the squad is now being used to describe a disaster! Get real mate!

As I said last week...
Looking back at the Down game, I would say we will find Antrim more of a challenge than many might think unless the players make more of a co-ordinated effort. Corrigan and indeed Quigley if fit would make the frontline more successful. I await to be inspired by some of these new players but it may be wishful thinking on my part. So don't be surprised if we lose to the Antrim men.

If Fermanagh is to have a positive future in 2020 then Ricey needs to to do some serious thinking!"]As a disaster? I was simpling stating that it was young, nothing but positives from having young squads out. It is a serious step up for some of these players into senior-level especially with how weak our club scene is. Give them time.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 05/01/2020 17:57:46    2257566

Link

Replying To cillnaile.:  "
Replying To allfermanagh:  "[quote=erneboy:  "Result:
5 Jan 2020
Dr McKenna Cup Round 2

As I said last week...

If Fermanagh is to have a positive future in 2020 then Ricey needs to to do some serious thinking!"]As a disaster? I was simpling stating that it was young, nothing but positives from having young squads out. It is a serious step up for some of these players into senior-level especially with how weak our club scene is. Give them time.

allfermanagh (Fermanagh) - Posts: 77 - 05/01/2020 17:58:06    2257568

Link

allfermanagh you talking a load of bunkum. The manager, from what I read, fielded just two new additions to this year's team today and the rest have been fielded in previous seasons so it isn't enough to put the blame for failure on average age of the team when you have veterans like Eoin Donnelly, Aidan Breen, etc. Fermanagh cannot be excused for losing a healthy lead and in particular the last 10 minutes, Antrim not exactly a great threat in gaelic footballing terms, seemed to sweep them aside with ease. Hopefully, come the NFL the team will be fitter and sharper otherwise the relegation trapdoor will open swiftly.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 120 - 05/01/2020 18:24:25    2257577

Link

Disappointing to lose with late goal yesterday(from 25 yards), though bigger picture is Newbridge in few weeks time.

Ricey confirmed after the game that Sean Quigley isnt involved in the panel confirming the rumours, major blow,lets hope he is back in the squad ASAP.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 896 - 06/01/2020 09:10:05    2257669

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Disappointing to lose with late goal yesterday(from 25 yards), though bigger picture is Newbridge in few weeks time.

Ricey confirmed after the game that Sean Quigley isnt involved in the panel confirming the rumours, major blow,lets hope he is back in the squad ASAP."
Hi macca your comment is unusually brief so could you tell us what different could Ricey have done yesterday to avoid humiliation?

cillnaile. (Fermanagh) - Posts: 959 - 06/01/2020 10:01:48    2257677

Link

Baffles me how people year on year continue to get so excited and flustered about the mckenna cup. Relax.

I have to say though it was a bit of a head-scratcher to work out why we were playing a 5 ft 8" 'full back' against a 6ft 2 full forward?

On another topic - any rules nerds/referees care to confirm whether its even within the rules to award a free for someone allegedly diviing off the ball? Ive came across that ref faloon a few times now and he has to be one of the worst ive seen.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 265 - 06/01/2020 12:17:53    2257721

Link

100% agree with red rum... Ricey, as he should be is using players he knows little about to see how the cope in what would best be described as a competitive friendly. He has also stated he only has eyes on the first game of the national league... save your drama for then!

sidelinecut40 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 81 - 06/01/2020 16:43:01    2257806

Link

At least I can take some positives from the Antrim game. Thought Mark McCauley, Richard O'Callaghan, Darragh McGurn played well. Thought McGurn looked more of a danger when he said in the full forward line rather than when he tracked back looking for the ball.

Stephen McGullion and Ciaran Corrigan both scored some nice points. Ciaran will be a lost for the 1st league game.

Still think we need to leave a couple of forwards in the forward line at all times. We need to be more play direct football, the nearest we came to scoreing a goal was when McGurn went to fist a point and fell short and Jones almost fisted it in. There was at least 2 occassions when Daniel Teague and Eoin McManus could have ran towards goal with no defenders in front of them but instead turned back into there defenders and lost the ball rather than attacking the open space. I put that down to years of bad/negative coaching not Riceys fault but something he needs to work on.

Thought we should have won that game especially when were 4points up at one stage but fair play to antrim they played till the end and got the goal with a bit of help from the ref. I dont think the ref was very good but i dont want to blames refs for us losing games. I also thought there was goal had some real nice build up play. I know it is only the Mckenna Cup but I do fear for your division 2 status this year. Hope I have to eat my words at the end of the year. Think a good season would be staying up anything extra would be a plus.

Is the mark and sinbin rules in the league or was it just in the cup. Don't like either of the rules.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 51 - 07/01/2020 15:54:23    2258009

Link

Its only McKenna Cup,so no need for people to get too negative on the first week in January. Im sure Ricey has learned plenty of the new players ahead of a tough Division 2 campaign.

Not having Sean Quigley involved in the panel is a big blow,especially his ability to convert 45s/distance frees from the ground,we dont have many other options for this(Tomas Corrigan good free taker up to around40 metre mark). He has been a great servant, 96 games at 27 years and spoke well in Fermanagh G.A.A Annual for 2019 recently,so lets hope he is back in green of Fermanagh ASAP.

Lets hope Fermanagh successfully appeal Ciaran Corrigans red card as we are going to need as strong as possible a team taking field in Newbridge!

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 896 - 07/01/2020 16:23:06    2258014

Link

McKenna cup is an Ulster only competition. The national league is a national competition. Ciaran Corrigan will not be suspended for the first league game.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 82 - 09/01/2020 12:58:36    2258392

Link

He he macca has got it wrong again!!!!
Anyway, what I wanted to come on here and say that the McKenna Cup competition is becoming a farce given that Donegal has now pulled out and that's on the back of this season's withdrawal of the college teams. Seems that the players are putting more emphasis on the colleges Sigerson Cup. Then McMemanin thinks that the McKenna starts too early.

gaalltheway (Fermanagh) - Posts: 756 - 09/01/2020 22:27:56    2258561

Link