Dublin Forum

Will Connolly go to hurling?

(Oldest Posts First)

Honestly, I wouldnt blame him if he did, and he PG think he is good enough and asks him to, (if he is good enough) then stranger things have happened.
Personally I couldnt blame him for walking away from the whole football scene the way it is with him and they way he is treated these days
He has nothing more to do in football anyways

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8157 - 11/10/2017 10:39:34    2054580

Link

thats all rubbish talk
plenty of hurlers there as it is and plenty who werent on the panel for last few years that can come back into the fold.
about getting the hurlers playing with belief and consistency, dublin gaa is big enough to have football and hurling teams
no need to try make it one versus the other. connolly has plenty to prove after this year and i expect him to be gunning to make up for lost time.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 11/10/2017 15:02:00    2054700

Link

I don't think Connolly will leave the footballers he's still a v.important part of team as seen when he came on in AIF. Watched him hurling on Sunday and he was outstanding-best player on pitch.

theduke66 (Dublin) - Posts: 321 - 11/10/2017 17:16:49    2054740

Link

Wouldn't say so. Not sure if he's good enough to walk straight into the team. I've hurled against him countless times and there's no doubting his talents. Had he committed to hurling when he was 19 or so then I think he could have gone on to become a serious inter-county hurler akin to how good a footballer he is. Not sure if it isn't a wee bit late now.

Gilroy might have his eye a couple of other lads in or around the football panel though from the, admittedly completely unsubstantiated, rumours flying about the place!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13086 - 11/10/2017 18:04:26    2054749

Link

Can't see it , why should he ? Who are we to say he has fulfilled everything in football ? Bit presumpteos to think he has .
Lastly have hurlers suddenly become angels don't think so could just as easily be frying pan into the fire , his reputation would certainly follow him and be used against him.
If he did brilliant if he's doesn't brilliant , either way Dublin win

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 11/10/2017 19:28:00    2054766

Link

Will Connolly go to hurling ?? No.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13541 - 11/10/2017 23:37:54    2054795

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Honestly, I wouldnt blame him if he did, and he PG think he is good enough and asks him to, (if he is good enough) then stranger things have happened.
Personally I couldnt blame him for walking away from the whole football scene the way it is with him and they way he is treated these days
He has nothing more to do in football anyways"
I seriously doubt it

Marse (Dublin) - Posts: 203 - 12/10/2017 17:42:07    2054906

Link

Connolly shouldn't be the priority. Players on the fringes like McHugh and Schutte should be. ~PHS

Pope_has_spoken (Dublin) - Posts: 138 - 13/10/2017 11:11:33    2055012

Link

Replying To Pope_has_spoken:  "Connolly shouldn't be the priority. Players on the fringes like McHugh and Schutte should be. ~PHS"
Exactly I don't think either McHugh or schutte are good enough to get into football team in my opinion and are not even making match day panels, schutte will more than likely go back hurling regardless of Gilroy being manager, McHugh has for one reason or another not done enough over last four years and if good enough hurler I would say has better chance there, one player not being mentioned strangely is Tomas Brady for me would be an obvious one to recruit back into hurling panel aswell as o conghaile as neither are currently involved with football panel.
Other than that there is 8 or 9 actual hurlers not involved over the last year who he should be trying to get back involved in the panel not trying to go after guys who prefer football obviously.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 13/10/2017 16:46:26    2055081

Link

Get some of the guys that walked away or were let go under Cunningham back and combine it with some of the talent that undoubtedly Gilroy will seek out as he did when he took over the footballers. OK, maybe won't have the same pool to choose from but I reckon you will see new fellas getting a chance to prove themselives. Gilroy will leave no stone unturned in his search for talent and will start with no preconceptions or bias.
Don't expect miracles but I do expect to see us far more competitive in the coming years.Priority, get back in div.1a and progress from there in year two and 3.
People talking about poaching a few of the footballers would be better going and supporting the hurlers. It's always been the poor relation in Dublin.
Here's hoping for a return to the great days that the hurlers experienced under Anthony Dalys term and who knows perhaps even go one better.

Dubh_linn (Dublin) - Posts: 2164 - 13/10/2017 19:04:30    2055125

Link

Think we can shut this thread now .. Came from the horses mouth... "That ship has sailed" .. Won't be playing hurling for Dublin in 2018 or ever again for that matter

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13541 - 15/10/2017 14:58:10    2055361

Link