Donegal Forum

Club Championship 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "In my personal opinion I feel like this championship is definitely Kilcars to lose i said that from the start and my opinion hasn't changed since although i did mark St.Michaels as my dark horses which i was very wrong about.

As for Saturday i feel it will be very tight and will hinge on discipline in my opinion i feel if NC keep the heads then they will win by a very small margin. I do feel like we have a better chance of beating Gweedore over Kilcar although I do believe that Gweedore are in a better position to beat Kilcar then we are. if we beat Gweedore I can see us getting a trimming in the final."
Hi naomh_conaill_4: How many goals will youse score tomorrow night - 2 or 3 at least.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 29/09/2017 15:36:43    2051729

Link

I have a feeling that Glenties will win this one, they are kind of coming in under the radar. Although I did predict a St. Michaels win last week and got that spectacularly wrong lol.

It really should be a great game with so many good players on both sides. It will be interesting to see the future county senior prospects on both sides - Daire O'Baoil, Kieran Gallagher, Eoghan McGettigan, etc.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 29/09/2017 17:06:37    2051761

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I have a feeling that Glenties will win this one, they are kind of coming in under the radar. Although I did predict a St. Michaels win last week and got that spectacularly wrong lol.

It really should be a great game with so many good players on both sides. It will be interesting to see the future county senior prospects on both sides - Daire O'Baoil, Kieran Gallagher, Eoghan McGettigan, etc."
Really looking forward to seeing this. Delighted it is on TV as cannot get up with work commitments. Alot of young talent on display. Don't have a opinion on the game having not seen Glenties at all this year. Saying that if Gweedore reproduce the performance they had against Eunans they will be very hard beat. Alot of young talent on display so looking forward to seeing them play along with the form of Odhran and Leo coming back from the states. I thought Eamon McGee was excellent in a more forward role the last day so will be interesting to see what his role will be at the weekend.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 29/09/2017 21:48:24    2051815

Link

If Glenties lose this they will have many sleepless nights...

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 30/09/2017 20:37:55    2052004

Link

Great comeback from Glenties,just a real old fashioned never give up effort.Gweedore were in cruise control 1st half.Leo made a big difference second half.Odhran flattered again when the heat came on,as he should have hit the last 45,instead a young rookie was tasked with it.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 30/09/2017 21:10:43    2052017

Link

Harsh on Odhran. Him, Mulligan and Caroll stood up. Eamon Mc Gee was good also. Can't help feel a filly fit Odhran would have made the difference. As for the last 45, mc Bride is the designated taker.

Great comeback by NC.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 573 - 30/09/2017 22:11:33    2052035

Link

Replying To neutral:  "Great comeback from Glenties,just a real old fashioned never give up effort.Gweedore were in cruise control 1st half.Leo made a big difference second half.Odhran flattered again when the heat came on,as he should have hit the last 45,instead a young rookie was tasked with it."
That is very harsh on McNeilis as he wasn't the designated free taker. I think the lad is a joy to watch and hope we see him play for Donegal next year.

Gweedore played really well but fantastic comeback by Glenties. Young Eoghan McGettigan really stepped up to the plate.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 30/09/2017 23:07:59    2052046

Link

There will be alot of mystified heads around Gweedore tonight as to how they lost that one. For me they stopped playing football and were more concerned about making cynical tackles out the field rather than doing what they were doing. Before they realised it NC were right back in it. I thought Odhran was excellent in the first half along with Michael Carroll, Daoire O'Baoill and Eamon Mcgee who was excellent throughout. Mulligan had his moments but drifted in and out of the game which is a hallmark of his. What were himself and O'Baoill thinking by taking on those shots rather than picking up the ball and taking a point.

Fair play though to NC and the mental toughness they displayed by never giving up. Leo was a real leader for them along with young McGettigan who really stepped up in those final 15 minutes. In hindsight if he had been on the frees from the start NC would not have had such a hole to dig out of. Ciaran Thompson stepped up to get a couple of crucial scores when it mattered despite not having his best game before that. Leo was deserving of MOTM for how he took the game by the scruff of the neck and win some smart frees. Kilcar red hot favs for the final and u can be sure if they get into the position Gweedore did tonight there will be no let up.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 30/09/2017 23:10:45    2052049

Link

Young Mc gettigan was a big leader tonight, without him glenties were gone. Leo was also very good as was Gillespie, Mcfadden and o baoill for gaothdobhair.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 01/10/2017 03:06:20    2052062

Link

Gweedore made mistake of thinking they had the game won at halftime, eased off a bit at beginning of second half and let Glenties come at them, only defence in gaelic football is attack just like the Dubs keep going till the final whistle whatever the score is .

culmore (None) - Posts: 1398 - 01/10/2017 14:52:44    2052116

Link

A game of two halves was never truer for Saturday nights game but i do feel the 6 point gap flattered Gweedore as we had 6-9 wides had two shots drop into the keepers hand and the brick blazed over the bar when a goal was on compare that to the singular wide that Gweedore had in that half. In the second the score we had been missing in the first started going over the scores Gweedore were getting in first started to miss. Gweedore must be kicking them selfs that they went for goal at the end instead of taking the point to level it up.

One point I would like to make is about the ref i feel the ref made some major mistakes and bad decisions. In the first half N.McGee steam rolled young Ethan O'Donnell while on a yellow the ref went to go to his pocket but once he realized that it was McGee he didn't he completely bottled it. the other decision i wasn't happy about was the end when Kieran Gallagher got the black card now im not debating that it was a black card because it was clear what i wasn't happy about was the ref gave the foul and he let Gweedore take it quick and when the ball went dead again he gave the black card which is wrong if he wanted to give the black card then he shouldn't have let the free be taken quick which resulted in Gweedore getting their 45.

I felt NC kept there heads a lot in that game when things got that wee bit niggle. I really like that one of the Gweedore men wanted Eoghan McGettigans jersey so much he tried taking it before the game was even over haha i hope he got it signed after.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 02/10/2017 10:22:30    2052301

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "A game of two halves was never truer for Saturday nights game but i do feel the 6 point gap flattered Gweedore as we had 6-9 wides had two shots drop into the keepers hand and the brick blazed over the bar when a goal was on compare that to the singular wide that Gweedore had in that half. In the second the score we had been missing in the first started going over the scores Gweedore were getting in first started to miss. Gweedore must be kicking them selfs that they went for goal at the end instead of taking the point to level it up.

One point I would like to make is about the ref i feel the ref made some major mistakes and bad decisions. In the first half N.McGee steam rolled young Ethan O'Donnell while on a yellow the ref went to go to his pocket but once he realized that it was McGee he didn't he completely bottled it. the other decision i wasn't happy about was the end when Kieran Gallagher got the black card now im not debating that it was a black card because it was clear what i wasn't happy about was the ref gave the foul and he let Gweedore take it quick and when the ball went dead again he gave the black card which is wrong if he wanted to give the black card then he shouldn't have let the free be taken quick which resulted in Gweedore getting their 45.

I felt NC kept there heads a lot in that game when things got that wee bit niggle. I really like that one of the Gweedore men wanted Eoghan McGettigans jersey so much he tried taking it before the game was even over haha i hope he got it signed after."
I have to agree with u on most points there. Big Neil McGee should have got a 2nd yellow no question. While I don't think it was intentional it definitely was reckless on his behalf and certainly warranted a yellow card. Also you are certainly correct regarding the bad wides in the first half including alof of bad missed frees. Saying that Gweedore will still be kicking themselves especially Mulligan and O'Baoill. The second one was the biggest bug bearer given the scoreline and how deep it was into time added on. I still think that Gweedore tried to close up shop far too soon rather than continuing to play their football.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 02/10/2017 16:43:10    2052477

Link

Kilcar by 5

ModernMaharaja (Donegal) - Posts: 30 - 03/10/2017 03:34:14    2052598

Link

Replying To ModernMaharaja:  "Kilcar by 5"
You forgot the first four words "NAOMH CONAILL will beat"

tirconaillabu (Donegal) - Posts: 71 - 03/10/2017 16:39:45    2052757

Link